Tfw laid off

40yrs old and just got laid off from an oil job. Don't think it's coming back any time soon. Need work asap, looking at help-desk jobs -> sysadmin path since I am an autist who is familiar with the linux terminal. What's the job market like? Is age going to be a big limiting factor? Help an old Cred Forumseezer out?

Other urls found in this thread:

ehow.com/info_8487410_tier-1-desk-duties.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_support
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

definitely too old, consider suicide

Fuck off old man. I need a job.

Gonna be entirely dependent on your location and your actual skill set. Go do some job hunting, look at the 'Required Skills' portion to get an idea of what is going to be expected of you in most similar positions.

As far as age, I have yet to see that be a limiting factor since pensions are a thing of the past and companies already regularly cycle through employees.

Shouldn't you have hundreds of thousands in savings because oil jobs paid bucketloads?

>help-desk
>linux
Bruh... No one needs Linux experience for help desk monkeys.

Oil paying bucketloads is a meme. Most of us made an average wage. I wasn't an engineer, just a platform tech.

So if I can wow someone with muh command line skills I can bypass the helpdesk? I was told by a friend in the industry that everyone started at a help desk.

Retire early and kill yourself like Ian Murdock.

so...are you trying to do a new meme or something? just making every OP image webm? why?

>laid off from oil job
um aren't they building a long ass pipeline user? couldn't you get back in the game if you relocated?

Look at the fucking file size. OP should be hanged.

Is this the blog thread? I just took a big stinky shit while jerking off to anime with my thinkopad on my knees.

>help-desk
Is where you start if you know nothing. If you know something just apply for whatever suits your skills.
>age
Not an issue. I swapped from sales to admin work when I was in my thirties. Sysadmin work is more about appearing as though you have no life and will be available for the company at any hour of any day and be reliable about it. Unless you look old and frail I doubt anyone will care.

If you don't have a clue what you actually mean by any of those words you'd best start with a Google search and preferably sign up for some basic certification classes.

>taking the bate

I'm guessing you're either new or just stupid, or both.

I just caved in and joined the air force when I got laid off. I thought life would be shit from here on out, but I get paid more, get more leave days, and my pension and benefits are even better than before. It's weird as fuck, but great at the same time.

>MB
jej

it would be col if he didn't add a ton of extra fuckign compression though

gudbye koality

You sound greener than a lawn. Other than being able to type commands into a terminal, what are your actual technical skills?

Employers don't really care about your '1337 sk1llz' with managing game servers, regardless of operating system. Linux knowledge will only get you in the door to a position where you are directly managing Linux computers, but as you can imagine, this is not common at all. Most places use Windows and want shit to just work all the time without interruption.

If you can create, manage, and monitor an Active Directory based network, that alone will get you into many positions. If you have proven troubleshooting skills (they don't want to be down for the entire day because you didn't know the BIOS was set to IDE instead of AHCI) this will be very valuable to an employer looking for somebody to keep their systems up all the time and properly manage when it's not.

Is the oil industry that fucked? My friend worked at some decently sized company that apparently focused on off shore as an engineered and had pay cut to the point that she just fucked off and decided to get another degree in another field to find a better job. Apparently the company laid off 40% of their workforce in all departments.

Not OP, but I am on the verge of losing my shit job. Considering the AF. What's it like? Did you have an education prior to enlisting?

Not him but they kinda look the same to me. I probably have a shitty monitor or something.

You'll do fine. Especially knowing Linux.

JOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJJOJ JOJ

Fuck the troops.

I.T. hiring manager for a fortune 500 company.

At tier one, basic skills are required, yes. However, the biggest part of T1 is knowing when to kick to T2. Most of what you do is creating tickets and collecting information.

The problem is that you're not likely to be doing a whole lot of Linux work. Your oil work will help, in so much as it shows that you can get and hold a job, but the experience isn't likely to be relevant.

The other side of that is how well you deal with people.

Hope that helps, and good luck, user.

Im a flat roofer and I work with a few ex-oil patch workers. Albeit most of them quit so they could see their families more. I still make alright money, last year was like 60k, but this year Im on pace for around 90k because I've been out of town a lot (out of town work is big money). That's only at $23.75/hr too, some of the guys I work with make $35-$40, most around $30 (canadian). Also, I dont know about other companies, but we're struggling to find enough decent employees to actually do all the work we have, hardly anyone lasts longer than a couple weeks to a month.

Also, I could see the oil industry picking back up again in the next year or two, the price of oil can't stay this low long term.

pretty much. Saudi dumping dirt cheap oil really fucked shit up. Its been even worse out in Alberta, a lot of their oil is from the oil sands, and once gas/oil prices drop passed a certain point, its just not profitable to extract/refine the oil and they just lay off everyone and abandon ship (literally just abandon everything, its not even worth it to salvage the scrap steel from the equipment). I think there was 20000 jobs lost in alberta last year alone

I'm not OP, but I would like to know more about these skills that employers want. Just got out of the coast guard as a diver and i'm sick of water.

Most have just a high school degree. They all had good grades in science / math, which I assume you do too.

Note, I am in Canada. Not USA. I know Canada's forces salary is much higher than USA's forces salary.

There will be times you must be on call 24/7, but you'll usually get a 2 week notice before you're on duty for a week. Other than duty and a few other shit that happens like 3 times a year, it's a 7-4 technician job. You literally get paid to work out since physical training is IN your work hours. Fridays, we usually get let out early because all the officers want to leave too. Also, 25 fucking vacation days.

What is your favourite anime? This is very important.

Is there some T1 and T2 skill sheet I can refer to in order to familiarize myself?

Damn. It sounds like you Canadians get a kickass deal. Is that reserves or the regular AF?

Reg force. USA should be similar in work. You won't be getting the full metal jacket treatment in the AF.

So, if I were interviewing you, I would have ended the interview because you straight asked for references, instead of saying something like "In addition to google / Wikipedia / etc, do you have any other suggestions on learning resources?"

You're not expected to know the answers. But having an idea where to look is important.

Just something to think about.

ehow.com/info_8487410_tier-1-desk-duties.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_support

Pick any other career path. I'm serious. Fuck this shit. I'm 34 and have been an administrator for over ten years now. It's a stomach ulcer every single day. Nothing worse.

I'm going to quit after the holidays and go do something less stressful like juggling flaming chainsaws.

Thanks, my balls need some busting. I appreciate the links.

Yep, good luck to you.

here is a tip: dont be fucking autistic

unlike what fucking retards here want you to believe, you need social skills

go to community college -> state college
study math/cs

that should take you 4-5 years.
in the meantime, find your closest bootcamp and gitgud with fullstack. I'd recommend to do this first actually. You'll face dudebros and #codergirlz, perhaps they'll laugh at you, prolly.

Endure it, you'll succeed.