What email provider do you use?

Curious as to what most of you use for your email provider? 99% of people IRL use Gmail but I'm not a big fan of Google products. Don't like the interface and don't like to have Google snooping around my emails.

Ive been using Hotmail practically since I got my first computer in the late 90's. MS bought it a few years ago and rebranded it as Outlook.com, but I didn't care, and today they switched my account over to the "new" interface and it's bad enough to make me want to switch email despite all the trouble migrating my info from all different sites will be to a new email.

Basically, they made it so that ALL of your emails are displayed at once, no multiple pages etc. As I have HUNDREDS of emails in my box, it means it takes forever to load my account. Previously on Hotmail, it just listed 20 or so emails over hundreds of pages, so that email would load fast.

Any recommendation for someone who doesn't want to use Gmail?

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

dbp.io/essays/2013-06-29-hackers-replacement-for-gmail.html
flurdy.com/docs/postfix/
www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/email.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>don't like to have Google snooping around my emails
>I had no idea Microsoft snooped everything I do!

Mail.gentoo

yahoo

marissa a qt

Archive your mail. inbox 0 or whatever it's called. You can also use mail client.

I run Windows anyway, so MS already has full access. I trust MS more than I would ever trust Google. Google should probably be listed as Google.gov

I run postfix on my own server

If you don't have at least a $5/mo VPS, you don't belong on Cred Forums

Been using Fastmail for a while, with no problems so far. It is a pay service (they used to offer free accounts, but no more). You can get a thirty-day trial. For some younger folks, especially, the notion of paying for Internet services is strange, but as the saying goes, "there is no free lunch:" you will always pay, in one way or another, and at least with a service like Fastmail, the terms are more clear. Anyone else have recommendations for decent pay email services?

More generally, the increasing reliance on "free services" is risky. Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc---if you are not giving them money, then these companies owe you nothing, and you have no right to complain about data mining, ads, censorship, UI/feature changes, etc. At the very least, an organization that uses Facebook (for example) to post news updates and photos should make sure to keep back copies of important content elsewhere, because you have little recourse if they delete it all tomorrow.

I remember when Hotmail used to look like this.

Alternative? ...

dbp.io/essays/2013-06-29-hackers-replacement-for-gmail.html

flurdy.com/docs/postfix/

Just a thought

Cockli

Runbox

>renting a vps
>not hosting your own
We're real impressed user.

If you want to be lazy, buy a domain for a dollar from GoDaddy and get an o365 email address for 48/yr

>having all of your sent emails black holed

Not him, but your domain reputation will be fine as long as you set up proper security and add a DKIM and SPF record to your domain's dns.

ProtonMail

Setting that shit up doesn't ensure your emails won't just be shitcanned and ignored.

It makes it less likely. Spam filters grade on a scale.

dumb slut

These guys get it.

Setting up your own mail server is a nice educational project, but is impractical for most individuals, not because they are stupider than you, but because they lack the spare time to seriously maintain it.

If I may incidentally rant: This is a painful lesson to learn, or at least it was for me. I used to sneer at my coworkers who were employed as programmers but weren't spending their weekends installing the latest Linux distros and trolling tech forums. Years later I realized that I really had no life in those days, and the "fuddy duddies" were closer to the truth, at least in some ways. If running your own mail server makes you happy, then fine--but you are in no position to judge those who would rather spend their evenings playing with their children, cooking, reading a book, etc, instead of vainly asking why a $5/month VPS (the "spammer's friend") can't get messages to Gmail users. Technical ability has nothing to do with it. Please do not take this rant as a personal insult, but rather as the incidental lamentation of an old man who wishes that he could advise his younger self. Alas, "the old know what it is to be young, but the young do not know what it is to be old."

Food for thought, on the subjects of "email", "time", and "priorities:" why does the legendary computer scientist Donald Knuth not even check his own email anymore?

www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/email.html

For non-personal shitmail, like signing up for websites and suchlike, I use gmail. It works and it's easy and convenient to search in.

For more personal/private/professional/important things, I use a paid email from a hosting provider with my own domain.

Protonmail here

I used to use a private email server in the 90's and had to stop because yahoo hotmail aol etc started "fighting spam" and made it impractical.

This.

How hard is it to get into a Google account?