/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/packages/community/any/ranger/
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217086
shashlik.io
static.davidedmundson.co.uk/shashlik/shashlik_0.9.3.deb
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Build_and_search
if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Make_Linux_use_.27Local.27_time
howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-and-run-android-apk-on-linux-with-shashlik/
youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
linux.die.net/man/1/wmctrl
eff.org/de/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does your waifu use linux?

(You)

Que fea.

My waifu actually uses Linux.

I, for one, welcome the use of tits in /fglt/ OPs.

B-but, she uses a mac...

If I ditch Xfce for a wm on Manjaro. Will boot ups and logins be faster fared Xfce? I run it on a meh netbook with 2GB RAM and an Atom processor Asus eee PC. Just wondering if the login process into a wm would be faster fared to Xfce.

Looks like a big titted lesbo to me.

Anyone know how to get awesomewm not to spaz out when I open a new terminal window while in a tiling mode. The transition when I open something is not smooth.

How many times a day do you reboot your computer to make it beneficial to save maybe 5 seconds of your life? What would you do with that extra time?
The answer is yes though.

Define spaz out.

There is a flash and the original clients tear and lose readability for a bit as they resize as the new one is spawned.

welcome to X

Well, shit lol.

That is not X retard.
Are you using any compositor? Have your set up your graphics card/drivers correctly?

So has anybody ever run into an issue on KDE where the titlebar will absolutely, positively not hide even when set to autohide?

I can't seem to fix it, and the only solution I have would be to switch around my GPU's and just use my nvidia one as my main (I have it blacklisted and my AMD GPU is driving my monitors) but that's a pain in the ass, and frankly I struggle to believe that would have anything to do with the issues I'm having. Xorg is a finnicky girl, however.

I usually don't use a compositor but I tried compton to see if the issue goes away but it persists.

Drivers are setup properly I believe.

I see that Unreal Editor has some building instructions for linux now. Are there any other 3D game engines with level editors etc. available for linux?

There's blender game engine too but it feels like the devs have ignored or abandoned it.

I don't see why her choice in hardware would be relevant to a thread about software.

Uninstalled most unwanted crapware. How else can I debloat Manjaro?

uninstall manjaro

Nah.

Why not just install Arch?

You could just install arch in the time you're searching how to debloat manjaro.

how long does it take to make this less like shit?

About 10 seconds by copying and pasting simple fontconfig from the wiki, maybe 10 more to install a few fonts.

Does anybody here have experience with getting OpenMW to work. Browsing all the forums has been a clusterfuck. I figured how to get the images loaded with ffmpeg, but I can't get any of the videos or sound to play.
Sound output: OpenAL
Sound decoder: FFmpeg
Enumerated output devices:
Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
Opened "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
Failed to play video: Failed to open video input
Loading content file Morrowind.esm
Playing Music/Special/morrowind title.mp3
Music Error: FFmpeg exception: Failed to allocate input stream
Failed to play video: Failed to open video input

Just install KDE, it looks good enough

Kali Linux 2016.2 cuz fuck semver #YOLO

>KDE
>good

>xfce
>using an abandoned project

>Xfce is dead
Got a source on that bullshit?

childish looking
fairly professional looking

Sorry this is just my opinion even though I HATE Jordon he's right here.

>childish
>implying adults don't use a horribly colored terminal while drinking black coffee
>wanting a DE to turn to shit a la GNOME3

Actually that's precisely what we have and how we can see it is dead.

Got a source on that bullshit?

how does she make her boobs or I mean implants jiggle like that?

Yes user, we all have access to it.
>misses the point

what you mean?

i'm trying to reconfigure my terminal is rxvt and my text editor is vim. do i have to apply the fonts to .vimrc or is it a system wide font?

Vim will use whatever your terminal does.

So basically you're saying it's dead because I sez so

alright man i have to go to my homeless shelter. today was my first day using linux i'm actually compiling ranger right now. tomorrow i'll look into these fonts and also getting sound working!

>being this bad at English
>being this much of a retard
You know the code and commits are public, right hun?

Stupid weaboo

Why would you be compiling ranger in arch?

cloned it from the aur?

The only thing with any real commits in xfeces lately is xfdashboard, which aims to be "Maybe a Gnome shell like dashboard for Xfce"

All other shit is just translation updates

>falling for the GNOME3 is shit meme

U wot m8
archlinux.org/packages/community/any/ranger/

>implying my English is bad
>implying I'm a retard
Of course I know the source is public. That's sort of what open source means after all. Regardless you don't get to decide whether a project is dead or not. Xfce is not dead, and this will continue to be a fact until the devs say otherwise.

>the project is still being worked on but that doesn't count lol it's dead

>this will continue to be a fact until the devs say otherwise.
No, if a project doesn't get any commits and updates then it is bitrot and dead.

okay for some reason i've been installing everything aur -

git clone program
chown user program
makepkg -sri

has not failed yet. even on google chrome.

So it's not dead.

>He fell for the tablet UI meme

Why on earth would you do that? Of course, it's your system but you might as well use gentoo which has proper (much superior) support for compiling everything.

>translation
>updates
lel ok son

Regardless of whether XFCE is abandoned, I will continue to use it simply because it is the only DE that isn't a huge pile of dogshit.

I will welcome suggested alternatives.

No one could care less what you use.

Why not KDE like in Reasons: doesn't look like a turd
actively developed
designed with power-users in mind, everything is customizable

>project is being worked on
>lol it's dead
lel ok kid

user above seems to care a great deal about people using XFCE.
Thanks

i don't know. they're all housed on my /home/user folder. the google one actually put some stuff elsewhere in /opt but i just don't know the filesystem confuses me and seems super cluttered already.

>I'll run some words through google translate
>look at muh develz

>someone working on the project means the project isn't being worked on
You're not very bright, are you?

How are you going to update everything? By git pulling and rebuilding whenever you feel like checking?
Man, seriously, if you've got that far then you're competent for gentoo, it has so much more power for doing what you're doing and makes everything much more controllable.

okay so i noticed the compiled one that are on home folder they put parts of the software in /usr/share etc. if i rm -r the folder and all it's contents will it also remove the parts of the program in /usr folders?

>google translate
>maintenance and new features
You're new to all this right?

Where did I say Xfce was currently under maintenance or that it was receiving new features? All I'm saying is that if someone is working on the project then it's not dead, you literally cannot refute this (watch, you'll try again anyway)

That is one of the bad things about doing what you are, make && sudo make install puts shit all over the place and you have no real way to track it, a surprising amount of software doesn't have uninstall rules in the make files so everything is a mess. /usr/share is usually stuff the program uses but not the program itself. rm -r the directory in your home will not remove the stuff anywhere else.

>experiment with distros in Virtualbox for a few days
>decide to dual boot Windows 10 and Mint xfce
>Windows boots in under 10 seconds and Linux takes almost 20

You guys lied to me. Other than that I like it.

We can all agree that xfeces sucks dicks though

How about LXDE? Can I use that or will it trigger 50 more shitposts?

>I'll translate this sentence in to Akkadian
>It's not a dead language because I just translated something in to it
Your logic is poor son.

Windows doesn't fully shut down, Linux does. When you shut down Windows it's really more of a hibernate option. There's a way to force a full shutdown but I don't know how as I don't hate myself enough to use shitware.

>>Windows boots in under 10 seconds and Linux takes almost 20
lol look how long mine takes, on a rig with a 950 Pro as the boot drive and 32 Gigz of RAM
This is Arch btw
>over a minute to boot
My Pentium M laptop booted to X in under 7 seconds a decade ago n__n

>unrelated example using poor logic means my logic is poor

Nope, it's the only decent DE I've used since GNOME 2.

dead and sucks
never ever seen an lxde desktop I would consider using. There is only one bit of lxde that is actually nice - lxappearance. I use that tool for setting my gtk options/themes

>your example is poor because I don't have a proper argument to put up against it

>Nope, it's the only decent DE I've used since GNOME 2.
I take it you didn't use MATE then LMAO
Xfeces just tries to be GNOME 2 - lite edition but it even fails at that and uses more resources while accomplishing less. No I don't have a source for that but try them yourself if you don't believe me

Never used it but I've used openbox (the wm lxde uses) which is cool. Got bored of it though.

No, your example is poor merely because it's a poor example.

Never used MATE. I'd give it a shot if my OS supported it.

>Never used MATE. I'd give it a shot if my OS supported it.
What fucking OS can run xfce but not mate? I even used mate with cygwin on windows before

Good argument mate!

OpenBSD

Better than yours.

>Better than yours.
Sure thing dear, keep believing that.

>OpenBSD
ruh roh, here we go

what causes mate to not work? gnome 2 worked fine on openbsd

Now be good, children.

dead project imo

>sure thing, keep believing facts
Will do.

What?

No clue. All I know is it's not available as a package and I'm not going to try compiling a DE on an Atom N270.

(You)

Have fun with your dead software

What dead software?

>What?
We don't cotton to your kind around here, that's what.

Mate and xfce look equally shit to me. Now, I've had the displeasure of using xfce before, but how does mate actually differ?

Your unmaintained DE

idgaf

Where did I say I use Xfce?

Canonical won. Who would have thought.

So tedious.

all DEs except KDE and GNOME are shit
sucks for the poorfags

A little help here pls
Just want to extract the archive into its path

[saku@Saku ~]$ unrar x /home/saku/Downloads/torrents/Learn Linux in 5 Days and Level Up Your Career (Updated)/Learn Linux in 5 Days and Level Up Your Career.tgz
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Put the location in quotations.

>unrar
>tgz
>Learn Linux in 5 Days
>being this new
average arch user

Also that's a gzipped tarball. You're going want to use tar to extract it.

fresh new arch install of cinnamon alone.any tips for software themes etc?

tar xf "/home/saku/Downloads/torrents/Learn Linux in 5 Days and Level Up Your Career (Updated)/Learn Linux in 5 Days and Level Up Your Career.tgz"

Sweet, thanks

So I've tried KDE and MATE then removed them but there's still a lot of their bundled junk installed. Konsole, mate terminal and others. How can I remove all this duplicate stuff so its not clogging my drive and menus?

which package manager?

default for xubuntu, apt-get or aptitude I think.
I found this, which seems to show the packages not originally from xfce:
$ aptitude search '?and(?and(?and(?reverse-depends(kubuntu),?not(?reverse-depends(xubuntu-desktop))),?automatic), ?not(?or(?priority(required), ?priority(important))))' xubuntu-desktop+

i3wm question. the tray output (where all my applets are) defaults to the right side of i3bar. Is there a way to move that somewhere else?

roll your own, it's the Arch Way

Isn't copy-pasting The Arch Way?

I was going to try Xubuntu this weekend, but dudes in this thread are suddenly saying Xfce is dead

Are yall just memeing

That's what Arch users mean by roll your own

Metapackages are a pain in the hiney. If you are using apt, see what autoremove simulates to remove. Some of those dependencies you might actually want.

Look at the commit logs for yourself

I ran those and got rid of some. Now I'm going through the list from that apt search and removing the obviously kde/mate/gnome related things.
inb4 rage format re-install

By dead, I mean is it currently or soon to be shit because of the lack of updates

No meming, don't waste your time even trying xfce. It's a terrible experience and is boring as fuck to use and not even comfy to make up for it.

Not him, but what would you recommend for maximum comfy?

KDE

Xubuntu or Debian 8 with xfce. Don't listen to these chuckleheads. Debian is a little nicer looking. Has vlc player instead of some generic shitbox player. DL a live dvd and try first.

i3 on top of gnome

Your' (you)

It worked, no dupe stuff and back to glorious xfce. Though it seems I uninstalled vlc on accident.

Nice. Hope your settings aren't mangled.

Can you get a good GPU passthrough setup going with 8 GB or should I just give up now

Just dual-boot

Waste of time if there is a viable alternative.

So, not using both system to their full potential is viable?

There is, you run Windows as your host OS with GPU, then use Linux in a VM in exclusive fullscreen mode until you want game. Then you hit hostkey combo, minimize Linux VM, and play game.

I do - this was just an experiment since I wanted to try and get something going with an AMD + nVidia card.

Few things have held me back though - I don't even know if it would work because AMD-Vi is broken as fuck and I need to disable Radeon for it to not claim AMD-Vi is (((unavailable))). Can't do that though, because I can't get any driver to claim my 7750 anyways.

But yeah, I think this is the icing on the shit cake and I should just give up hope until I can afford 8 more gb + some cheap old 30 dollar nvidia card to pop in my secondary slot. It's really just too complex.

Fun experiment though, would recommend to anybody bored. If you had an intel processor, I would imagine this would work easily.

Yet again, if you had an intel processor you wouldn't need a second card because integrated graphics are good enough to run a dual monitor setup easily past Ivy Bridge I believe

Yikes, falling for a lot of memes there man.
>8 GB is enough, dude
>fell for AMD twice
>falling for being poor meme

:^(

Cinnamon is okay. My laptop looks fine

You are almost never using either system to their full potential.

Good evening gentoomen. I'm new to Linux, but I'd like to install Gentoo. I feel this will give me a better understanding of computers in general that's why i want to install it.

I am pretty good with computers already, I know a bit of coding and can troubleshoot many computer problems.

Sometimes I get stuck with a certain problem, though, and I feel I can't solve it because I don't fully understand the way the operating system controls the computer.

Is installing Gentoo Linux a good way for me to get a firmer grasp on computers? I understand that it's the most robust Linux and that you basically control every component of your system with it.

Sorry for the long post.

Tl;dr ---> Is installing Gentoo Linux a good way to learn more about computers for an intermediate user?

Well 8 gb was enough at one point. but I hunger for more.

I don't regret the AMD card (Shit was cheap and low profile back when I had a shitty rig)

>being poor meme
that blossoms into a whole lot of other memes I fell for :( Don't even get me started on the stem meme

If you're purely in it for learning some shit, try linux from scratch.

If you want something a little more usable, gentoo's a step in the right direction

> posting the smiley with the Arch nose

>I feel this will give me a better understanding of computers in general
Nope, it won't. No OS installation will give you that.

> I understand that it's the most robust Linux and that you basically control every component of your system with it.
Where do you guys even learn this shit?
You can do anything with any distro.

KDE is the best-looking DE by a mile, but it's a buggy piece of laggy shit.

If you really need a DE use cinnamon. It's good-looking enough to not require ricing and it's functional.

Why is it when i open a program from the terminal i can't use that terminal window until the program is closed ?
Like if i want to multitask and open a pdf i can't use that terminal window to write code.
I think it's weird, why is it like that ?

blah &

hu?

wtf it's working ty. What is it ?

What are some of the best looking linux games right now?
I know Alien Isolation for one looks great and runs well on most hardware.

Any benchmark apps besides unengine and glx-gears?

This is my thread Do you think that I could solve it by:

1-Purging libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386
2-Purging GNOME
3-Reinstalling GNOME

?

It might be 0,04 seconds faster or whatever the miniscule difference between startup times between Xfwm4 and the "WM" you choose on Manjaro is.

You idiots need to realize that your bootup times aren't dependent on 1 software, but the sum of everything you start after... booting. If you use all the same services on your "WM" install, then the booting time will be the same.

Installed buns for funs but wifi does not work wat do
its a BCM43142b/g/n wireless poop tried installing all the packages does anybody had this issues with this specific card, i've seen a lot of people on forums having the same problem with almost all kind of distros
tried under kali and debian and neither works
wat do gee

tux race master race :^)

Frozen bubble is rad too

Nemo is alright, but there's one annoying bug. Sometimes when I select an item, I can't delete it by pressing the delete key on my keyboard. I have to wait a few seconds and then press it again.
I would report it on the issue tracker, but I can't reproduce it reliably.

TL;DR: what are accepted values for KEYTABLE?

Using openSUSE LEAP 42.1 with Belgian AZERTY Apple Pro keyboard.

I have set the correct keyboard layout in Settings Manager, but naturally this only takes effect after I've logged in to Xfce.

To effect the correct keymapping earlier, I tried to change the KEYTABLE value in /etc/sysconfig to "be" (default is "us") but this hasn't worked, so I assume my syntax is wrong.

Is there a list of acceptable KEYTABLE values? My google-fu has only informed me that they may look like "de-lat1-nd" but I don't understand what that represents.

>boring
>comfy
>to describe a desktop environment and computer use

It's supposed to be boring, you're not supposed to notice your computer, it's a tool.
Kill yourself.

Use "setxkbmap" to change your keyboard layout settings if Xfce's settings manager doesn#t apply them instantly.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not my problem. I have the correct keymap when I'm logged in & using my system. The keymap is wrong before I log in, so I have to type my user & pass with an incorrect keymap.

There were new releases recently, including xfce4-notifyd (that's the only thing I noticed, because I use it).
All of the components are being ported to GTK3 now and that's their priority.
You might be looking at the wrong places (the main git repository). Look at the user repositories, that's where the work is being done. You could also do basic research and find the blog announcement for that.
Kill yourself.

Then use an Xorg config file. It's explained on the Arch Wiki and elsewhere on the internet.

Dubs of sound advice.
Thanks, I'll go play with that.

>When I download and burn archlinux-2016.09.03-dual.iso then boot, I am being dropped into a CLI and there is no way to install Arch. It's an "automatic login." this is after I choose install Arch 32 bit from the gui menu. After dropping into the CLI nothing else happens. It just sits there blinking. Any help?

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217086

see
>

Get ubuntu, tether your phone and install bcmwl-kernel-source

Any idea why I have to manually pkill mpd every time I start the pc? Just running mpd, then ncmpcpp, my library is empty and config gone.
On startup:
> sudo pkill mpd
> mpd
> ncmpcpp
It's annoying. Also when I run mpd after pkilling it, sometimes it'll automatically start playing in the middle of the second-to-last playlist I was listening to, even if I stopped playback and cleared the list before shutting down the pc.

>os-prober for no reason
>installs a display manager, but also installs xorg-xinit

Why would you use a guide written by an idiot who recommends stupid things?

>debian-based distro
found your problem

>sudo

Sudo isn't a magic word which makes things work when they appear not to be working. Look up what "sudo" does.

My guess is that you set up mpd to run as a service (as another user, possibly root or mpd). You edited YOUR user's config and the mpd you made autostart isn't using it, that's why there's no music in the library.
Killing that wrong mpd and then starting your user mpd (by typing mpd in the terminal) starts your proper mpd.

>OS prober
Because people dual boot
>Display manager and xinit
Fall back login manager if the display manager fails

0/10 lurk more newfag

I know what sudo does, I was wondering why I have to kill and restart mpd on startup in the first place.

>My guess is that you set up mpd to run as a service (as another user, possibly root or mpd)
Far as I can tell from the autostart GUI settings thing in Xubuntu mpd is executed on login (without additional parameters), which to me would imply it's running as a process. Might be completely wrong though.

how is puppy linux so small

Fixed it.
Had to change the user name in /etc/mpd.conf to mine (or just comment it out).

>Because people dual boot
Yes, everyone has 2 or more operating systems installed on their computer.

>xinit is a login manager
That's a really stupid thing to say. Sometimes I'm astounded by the stupid things I read on here.

Both things just prove that it's retarded to create guides for the installation, because they guide you towards one specific setup and that's completely against the point of having such an installer.

I guess you just like to create infographics, but disregard the fact that they're completely wrong and bad. Have fun though.

Hey guys, i install dwb browser but i have problems in use.
>i click for change tab
>simples close the browser
>i press ctrl + tab for change tab
>simples close
>i press "o" for set new endress
>simples close the browser
>i press "gO" for create new tab
>close the browser

This pc is like a shit, i use this for my servers and sometimes i use youtube and others simples sites. But dwb is very light and faster, i test iceweasel, chromium, firefox, palemoon and other shits, no work in my desktop. DWB is the best browser for my machine, i need use this.

Who is this lovely Linux lady?

what in the everloving fuck are you talking about?

>i have bad desktop
>install dwb browser
>i try change tab
>close the browser
>i try change other adress
>close the browser

How i make to use this?

I can't use the dwb browser.

I'm trying to pick a new distro to dual-boot.

Factors:

Rice-friendliness: I'm a shameless ricing whore and I want to be using as many cool-looking things at once. In other words, needs support for nonstandard DWMs, like i3.

Wine-friendliness: I'm going to be trying to rely on windows as little as possible, so I'd prefer a distro that's more likely to get good results from wine. I'm not sure if there is one, but just in case.

I broke everything, can we put it back? - friendliness.

I am not a smart man. That's why.

So, all that said, I've heard I should try to pick between arch and debian. Thoughts?

I'm kinda new to pacemaker/corosync clusters. This is the situation right now:

I have 2 resource groups, one of them is a drbd with an apache and a VIP and the other resource group is basically just a VIP for a mysql master/master database.

The behavior I want:
If the resource group with the drbd is active on node1 the mysql resource group should switch to node2.

How do I do that?

Wht distro do I install on a PowerBook G4 I am about to buy?

>inb4 why
For fun

>iphone
>fb
>9gag/tumblr
IT triangle of 90% of grills around me

How to distro hop without deleting my /HOME folder?
I have my HDD partitioned like thix
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

How does one distro manage to be so fucking based?

Just... Don't delete your /home partition ?
You know, mount it as /home during your new install and set the same username. Done.

None of the things you mentioned are distribution specific.

>Rice-friendliness
Every distribution can be "riced" the same.

>wine-friendliness
Wine can be installed on every distribution. Every major distribution should have it in its repository, even the free distributions since Wine is licensed under the LGPL.

>something vague friendliness
Idiotic, inane thing to say, it makes no sense.

Why do you idiots think that there is a distributon for every little niche, use-case out there? Do everyone a favor and stop perpetuating that retarded mindset.

>I should try to pick between arch and debian.
Look up what defines those distributions in a relevant sense and then decide for yourself. One of those distributions has exactly such a comparison on their website. You should just stick to Windows, because I can tell that you'll go back to it due to all your talk about Wine.

Why do you have a 1KB partition (sda4)?

In my experience messing around with Debian and Ubuntu, Debian was a whole lot more cooperative with i3 and dwm. I think that's what that user was referring to, maybe?

Also, don't be so mad at newfriends, senpai

learning ed atm
how do I copy lines 1,4 from file1 to file2 after, say, line 5

Manjaro has a minimal version. Install that.

This guy likes third dimensional girls, what an idiot.

You experienced a placebo, because the packages for i3 were most likely exactly the same. I seriously doubt that Ubuntu patches their i3 package and they most likely just take the Debian package like for everything else.

>Also, don't be so mad at newfriends, senpai
Telling the harsh truth is the only way to eradicate that retarded opinion about distributions.

Ubuntu's UI hates being put in dwm windows

HATES it

Where are you from? I need to know. My guess is Spain.

>ubuntu's UI
There is no such thing.

Yes there is, it's called Unity.

I don't know.
lsblk shows it and count my partitions as sda1-5, while gparted list sda5 as part of sda4.
Probably because I've set the swap at the end.
Similar pic.
So when I choose "Something else"
I get pic related, with my existing partitions.
And keep in front of the "/" only?
Do I need to re-mount it as /HOME?

You can run Ubuntu with a different environment.
When you're running Unity, you aren't using dwm. Just because you're using some application from the Unity desktop environment, doesn't mean you're running Unity (I also doubt you were running a Unity specific program).

>Do I need to re-mount it as /HOME?
Yes.

Why do I need to re-mount it?
For the new OS?
Then what about file ownership?

Because your new OS likely won't do it automatically.
Yes.
Using the same exact username as you had before takes care of this.

OK, thanks.
Have you done this before?

>pic deleted
This can't be real.

Anyone have experience with installing Arch to the eMMC of an ARM chromebook?

Yes.

What's the best thingy for running Android on GNU/Linux? There's a few games I want to play on it. Glad it was ported so I dont have to spend 20 bucks for that console copy.

anyone using xfce? The keyboard layout indicator keeps crashing and refusing to switch layouts. Also the system keeps not recognizing my shortcuts even though the settings are correct. Anyone else having issues?

I have Shift+Alt+Up set to maximize windows, that's not working most of the time. Other than that, no.

I'm stuck with a pentium dual core and 2gb of ram, whats the best linux for someone not autistic?

Manjaro or Arch would fit fine for you

fuckin lel, so the system just opened all those programs I was trying with the shortcuts all at once. With like a 5 minute delay. Still can't switch layouts though

RemixOS.
There used to be jar of beans that run very well on WINE, but SJW took it down.

>RemixOS
Is this an actual OS? I guess I'd need to download a VM.

It a fork of android 86x, with DE.
You can run it through WINE though, just get RemixOS player.

systemd-analyze blame
systemctl disable
Yes it would. Display managers like lightdm take a bit of time. Only use a standalone WM if it actually benefits you.
Which flags did you use for compton?

Alright. Downloading remixos player. The only other things I found were a closed alpha testing thing a a 200+ dollar thingy.

You don't have many options
Gennymotion is a cloud-base ripoff
Bluestacks have terrible WINE compatibility
Andy is vapeware
you could try shashlik.io
Cred Forums for some reason recommend Android SDK.
For and OS based on linux it have very poor support.

Is there any way to get the preview versions of the Linux kernel on your system? I'm only running Linux in a VM for now to learn how to use it

shashlik isn't in the repo when I try to get it. What gives?

Nothing happened when I tried running remix in wine so.

>Shashlik
It's available in deb, and the AUR has it as well.
But davlik shit itself with it.
>Nothing happened when I tried running remix in wine so.
what's the error?

yes it's in AUR but it won't download. If I remember correctly Manjaro uses AUR.

>Manjaro uses AUR
Anything can use AUR.
It downloads fine.
It just needs the KDEbase and you can even download it yourself
Download the PKGbuild file and the this
static.davidedmundson.co.uk/shashlik/shashlik_0.9.3.deb
Then run makepkg pkgbuild in the same directory that contain both of them

Umm. It seems nothing will actually download. Everything that's not installed says "error: target not found"

Huh?
What are you putting in the terminal?
I've tried just now and it downloaded.

sudo pacman -S packagename

pretty sure thats right. I only installed Manjaro a few days ago.

im finishing the Mint 18 download, ive used linux in the past but i FUBARed my HDD so i recently wiped it and installed windows 10 in a 50 GB partition, windows also created a 500MB system reserved
i want to know, whats the proper way to dual boot. i need to have my /home folder on a separate partition.

please walk me by on what partitions i should create, what format them in and where to put boot files

That's not how ABS works you dumb tard

Is there a shred command that deletes the already deleted files making them unrecoverable? I deleted a file and I don't want people able to recovering it.

>pacman
You need to use yaourt
yaourt -S shashlik-bin

shred

what is this? thank yu user

Root swap home.

and /boot goes in with root? how much swap do i need? my pc has 6GB ram, mostly used for normy stuff, programming and school work gets done in windows

I don't see why not. I always considered home partitions a meme but that's because I'm lazy as fuck. Do you really wanna sprawl your partition table out some more for boot? What situation would you personally encounter that warrants it?

I run as much swap as i do ram, so six is probably fine. I don't think I ever swap but I don't do a whole lot that warrants it. Some people recommend 1.5 times your ram... But I have 8 and never had a problem.

okay i ran this. Now what??

Pacman install from repo, which is like the App store.
While the AUR, Arch User Repository, is community-driven repo, that allows you to compile/ build from source, with the help of a single file, the PKGBuild file that contain instructions on what need to be download, build into arch package and install it,and make it visible to your package manager.
Yaourt is just a wrapper or a AUR helper to make things easier, see this
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Build_and_search
just wait for it to download and install the dependencies, compile the package into arch package system, which might take some time, and finally installing it.

How to use shred in an already deleted file?

>just wait for it to download and install the dependencies, compile the package into arch package system, which might take some time, and finally installing it.
I did this, but I'm so stupid and I don't know what to do know.

You can't, you can try and write 0s to the "empty" part of the disk.
What are you scared of? CP?

All this should happen automatically, with the occasional question that you should answer with y/n.
Screen cap?

Im trying to install nvidia drivers on fedora 24 and following this guide:
if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

But when I reboot after blacklisting nouveau my computer boots into a black screen and nothing happens. Its a fresh install and I didn't stray from the guide, why would it be doing this?

Leave windows partition alone (same with system reserved, that's the boot partition)

Create a root partition big enough for programs plus future updates, swap as big as your ram, a boot partition of 100mb and home takes the remaining space. When you install, grub should autodetect windows and add it to the boot menu.

Worse.

How I write 0s to the "empty" part of the disk?

I think "secure-delete" package have something like ccleaner.
Or you can tray BleachBit.
What's worse? and why you don't want it to be found?
Selling the device?

I installed xubuntu dual boot with windows, now when I go into xubuntu then back into windows it changes the system time to UTC (not my time zone). is this a common problem? is there an easy fix? does it just apply to xubuntu and ubuntu shits or all kinds of linux?

Yes it installed fine.... how do i use it

Windows doesn't use UTC, it uses localtime and that's causing issues. Make it use UTC or make your Linux distribution use localtime (which is not recommended).

Run the APK?

>is there an easy fix?

help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Make_Linux_use_.27Local.27_time

>does it just apply to xubuntu and ubuntu shits or all kinds of linux?

it *might* have been a problem in the early 2000's but as far back as I can remember there's always been an option to set the hardware clock to use local time rather than utc

hell, fedora has defaulted to using the hardware clock as local time for as long as I've been using it, and has removed the option to set the hardware clock to utc on the installer on recent releases (although you choose to use it through systemd I bet)

i can't?

What's the issue exactly?

i don't know. I installed it. I can'trun the apk with it. I don't know what this does. I'm sad. Why can't i just download something that runs the apk and have it work.

I give up i'm sorry. going to go.

You need to "install" the APK user.
See this howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-and-run-android-apk-on-linux-with-shashlik/

which ubuntu is best /fglt/?

Usw shashlik-run to open apk files?
That's why manjaro users are stupids.

cat /dev/urandom > /tmp/dummy

>Worse.
Proprietary software?

Ubuntu is made by Canonical.
Canonical is a Microsoft partner.
Microsoft is evil.
=
Ubuntu is evil.

Just use Debian. Installing a DE like Mate just takes you one command and you have your very own Debian Mate custom distro.

You posted it. Ubuntu MATE is what allowed MATE to garner the support it has today. It didn't used to run too well on anything until that. Made me fall in love with a distro and DE all over again.

>Don't use an Ubuntu distro, just use debian

stop this meme. Ubuntu is fine.

Did i do good?

>ubuntu
>fine

pick one, ubuntu was the first distro that shipped spyware and with it a large security hole
>b-but you can turn it off
welcome to windows users mentality
>b-but it's disabled now
why even ship such crap?

ubuntu also memes it's users by tagging software that is actually proprietary as free in their software center

canonical also kills market share of other distros by porting ubuntu to windows 10

>debian
>10 years old packages
>le botnet boogeyman

Ubuntu a shit, but the trustworthy offshoots are fine. Maybe if you're interested in unity, gnome, or KDE it's a safe bet, but otherwise you're wasting your time.

>Gee whiz you know what really makes my tin foil hat rumble? Ubuntu
>let me just set up my debian with the exact same fucking nonfree software while simultaneously playing the dependency game because Debian testing/unstable have a bonkers way of managing their repos

I don't give a shit if you want to use debian - but this meme has to stop. Debian is easily enough to turn off a new user and it should be up to the rest to recommend GOOD buntu distros rather than disregarding the most user friendly family of distros.

>user friendly
Triggered. Making things easy is beginner friendy, not user friendly. User friendly means (to my holy person) making things friendly for the user to use, which excludes things like removing functionality to make things less complicated.

Thanks for reading my blog.

What's does Fedora do that's different from other distros? I've heard that Linus uses it but does it actually serve any purpose for the average user?

You've got a point user.

Linus uses Fedora because it's easy to install.

fedora has strict guidelines about proprietary software, but makes exceptions for drivers
fedora software is bleeding edge, it's basically a testbed for red hat enterprise linux
that's basically it

true story youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s

>You can run Ubuntu with a different environment.
Of course you can, Unity's still Ubuntu's UI though.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
>Unity is a graphical shell for the GNOME desktop environment developed by Canonical Ltd. for its Ubuntu operating system.

redhat bitch.

how do I enable panel/tray icons for Ubuntu, because I just did a fresh install and I only see the system ones - wifi, clock etc. but none of my apps that are supposed to show there. Don't see anything in Unity tweak that would help

I'm looking to really start learning Linux so I've been trying to make a persistant usb flash drive with a Distro of Mint or Ubuntu on it
I keep fucking it up though, I need up just making a live stick and I'm not confortable with linux enough yet to ditch windows (plus I game a lot)
Any advice or a good how too would be great
I'm not illiterate when it comes to this either I took C++ basic and pascal in high school and went to College for computer science(didn't finish) years ago

Why doesn't this work when Ubuntu starts? I have to type it in a terminal every time I reboot.

- Zip disquettes tend to be slow, set up a dual boot for better system speed.
- Exclusivly use it for a while and force yourself to solve problems.
- Read the book meantioned in OP.

I'd recommend Ubuntu over Mint.

ok fixed it with indicator-systemtray-unity. It was a pain in the ass, which idiot decided to remove them

sh -c "your command"
Happy hacking.

Thank you
I'll check it out

lol
put it in /etc/profile.d/caps.sh and make it executable or something

I'm searching for a customizable, wm independent program for switch (alt+tab) ing windows. Any suggestions?

linux.die.net/man/1/wmctrl

Interestingly, Arch Anywhere seems to work much better out of the box than Antergos. I used AA when I was too dumb to install Arch the right way, and it works wonderfully.

Also, Budgie desktop is pretty comfy, but I'm going to try i3 soon.

I feel like I'm going to be spending a lot less time in Windows.

I don't see a book mentioned in the OP
unless you mean the php of the cmd line

not him but cli is basically all you need to know, gnu/linux works basically like every other os, incl desktop and trashbin

basically

Thanks

There is NO reason to use localtime on Linux. I can't think of any downsides to UTC and can think of 1 upside to UTC (working timezone switching — travelling). I can't think of any upsides to using localtime.

Thank you

Now install vrms.

>not using based epoch unix time

Name some "spyware" that comes with Ubuntu. Also, please tell me your definition of spyware, so I can compare it to the actual, commonly agreed-upon definition.

Family, I made the switch to ubuntu and I'm loving it so far but I have one issue: Click and drag for my touchpad doesn't work.

Basically when I want to drag a window or highlight some text, I try to left click with my thumb and while holding down click I try to drag with my index finger. But what ends up happenings is that the mouse doesn't move.

I have the synaptics driver. I was able to fix the problem with mtrack but I find that basic things like tap to click just don't work as well despite editing configs.

How can I fix the synaptic configs to enable click to drag? Also is it possible to do 3 finger dragging like on OSX when you simply tap (not click) and drag with 3 fingers on the touchpad?

I've been reading for about an hour but all the info is either data or too vague for a noob like me.

dated*

Use an Xorg configuration file, dummy.

Use xinput to see which features your touchpad supports.
Use "xinput" to find out your device's ID, then do "xinput list-props ID".

>spyware

eff.org/de/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

>Unless you have opted out, we will also send your keystrokes as a search term to productsearch.ubuntu.com and selected third parties so that we may complement your search results with online search results from such third parties including: Facebook, Twitter, BBC and Amazon. Canonical and these selected third parties will collect your search terms and use them to provide you with search results while using Ubuntu.

at leats it's opt-in now

Also, try the libinput driver. It might expose some extra features which synaptics doesn't and behave better. It's also what everyone will be using in the future with Wayland.

>commonly agreed-upon definition
Is there spyware that doesn't spy?

That only affects Unity. Using Ubuntu and installing it from the net-installer with a different desktop environment won't give you that "spyware".

No, but there is blatant abuse of words on here. Look at "botnet". No one even knows what a botnet is. It's become a synonym for "I don't like this software".

Well who knows what comes next. Do you trust Canonical?

>Your anonymity is preserved because we handle the query on your behalf. Don’t trust us? Erm, we have root. You do trust us with your data already. You trust us not to screw up on your machine with every update.
markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182

...while you get your search answers over plain http, lol.

Thanks but neither worked.

Of course that crossed my mind but really having to manage an xorg.conf file in 2016 is shitty.

this is my first time in a DE on unix. hah.

Thanks for the replies
I've typed that in but I don't know what any of this means.
I thought about checking out libinput but I really like the way synaptics behaves.

As an update I've learned that in order to drag I must double tap then tap and hold to drag. So I just need to figure out how to change this shit...

What's the difference between editing the xorg.conf file and the xorg.conf.d file?

Secrets that can destroy lives.

I don't even use Ubuntu. I'm just pointing out the obvious that it doesn't affect ALL of Ubuntu.

Something like
> cat user's secrets.txt
> [NAME] [DATE] [SIN]
> -------------------
> ...

?

Xorg conf files are the easiest way.
Just put your silly script somewhere in your Home directory and then use that GUI tool to start it.

Where's your xorg.conf file and where is your xorg.conf.d file?

new thread

>Xorg conf files are the easiest way.
Might be the only way.

>Just put your silly script somewhere in your Home directory and then use that GUI tool to start it.
You'd think the sh - c "command" would work if that were the case. I might try .xsessionrc and see if Ubuntu reads it since Gnome docs says it's ignored. Why is GNOME so hard to configure? This isn't an out of the ordinary use case.

I'm told to edit one sometimes or to edit the other. But to answer your question /usr/share/x11/xorg.conf.d (is a folder) and there is no xorg.conf but when I was messing with my touchpad configs one guide told me to sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which I did, and it worked) but another guide is telling me to add .d

xorg.conf is the old way of doing X configuration. The file itself can get huge and messy so distributions broke it up and put it in a directory (xorg.conf.d) that holds many files each specific to a task. The numbers in the front of the filenames give the order of execution.

>You'd think the sh - c "command" would work if that were the case.
No, you're understanding it wrongly.
Put that command (without the sh -c) part in a file. Then point to it with the GUI tool.

Those are just different directories from where X sources the config files. Do not use the /usr/ directory, because that's where your package manager puts files. Use /etc/X11/, because that's neater. The files in /usr (if you edit them) might even get overwritten on the next update.

>GNOME

Judging from your screenshot, I'd say you're using Unity and not GNOME.

How would they be able to recover it? Steal your PC?

then how do you swap caps in gnome?

>first distro that shipped spyware
No, they weren't the first.

No. More like:
>cat user's magic.txt
>[TRICK][CREATOR][STEPS]
>---------------------
>...

I'm a magician.

0ad
xonotic
cube2
supertuxkart
vdrift
flightgear

there are just FOSS examples

the only reason you'd consider it is to play nice with windows
windows still defaults to local RTC time, so to have consistent time between linux and windows, you either need to switch linux to local time (supported, if unusual), or switch windows to UTC (can be done via the registry, but not really supported)