How to make Linux not look vomit inducing?

How to make Linux not look vomit inducing?

Other urls found in this thread:

moebuntu.web.fc2.com/home_eng.html
blog.alteroot.org/articles/2016-04-12/road-to-xfce-4.14.html
github.com/horst3180/arc-theme
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/
youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cinnamon

tiling vm and waifu background

Someone posts that gif of the morbidly obese woman trying to eat a brocolli but pukes instead.

FreeBSD

wm* shit

install antergos or add antergos repos to /etc/pacman.conf

yaourt -S cinnamon gtk-theme-adapta-git la-capitaine-icon-theme-git paper-icon-theme-git ttf-roboto-font && \
dconf write /org/cinnamon/interface/gtk-theme Adapta && \
dconf write /org/cinnamon/wm/preferences/theme Adapta-Nokto && \
dconf write /org/cinnamon/interface/icon-theme la-capitaine-icon-theme && \
dconf write /org/cinnamon/interface/cursor-theme Paper && \
dconf write /org/cinnamon/interface/font-name "Roboto 10"

thank me later

install paper icon theme
maybe install a new unity theme if you feel the need to go with something flat or whatever

imho unity looks just fine. i like the universal topbar.

>being a canonical cuck

KDE

moebuntu.web.fc2.com/home_eng.html

is this the new desktop thread

>How to make Linux not look vomit inducing?
all you need is a good DE, good theme and a good UI font.

My setup: Cinnamon + Arc + San Francisco Display

Don't settle for anything else. All the choices I've listed are the best of the best. SanFran is the only god-tier UI font that has amazing hinting and doesn't look like a fucking rainbow (I'm looking at you Segoe!).

First nice DE I've ever seen

What file manager are you using? Is that xfce?
Link theme pls
Link nico too pls

By installing Windows.

Very nice.

its thunar
screenshot is over a year old lol so you arent getting anything of the things you asked for

>thunar
Nemo's better in every which way possible. It has less bugs too. I've used Thunar for 3 months before finding Nemo (kek). Would never use anything else now.

wait there's powershell for win7?

Ubuntu looks fine by default, Debian and any other bare bones distro, or if you have autism and think Ubuntu looks ugly then just Google themes and icons, why are you asking the obvious? Half of the people here are retards trying to act smart, holy fucking shit.

>Nemo
xfe is better in every way possible. It has less bugs, too.

Did you even try before posting?

>tiling vm
Good taste user. I'm currently running 4 instances of templeOS on the same screen.

are u blind?

Cinnamon is nice, but it spikes to 100% CPU usage every 10 seconds.

>xfe is better in every way possible. It has less bugs, too.
pls be trolling.

and if you really wanna use xfe, just use ranger and be done with it. ranger is like xfe that's acutally updated & works.

Just put i theme that suits you.

>Cinnamon is nice, but it spikes to 100% CPU usage every 10 seconds.
something's terribly misconfigured of your machine. check your ~/.cinnamon/glass.log and see what's wrong.

That looks good. What DE is that?

Unity looks pretty nice but the top bar occupying space at all times bothers me. The clock and tray could be in the dock on the side and not affect much I think

N U M IX
U
M
I
X

I thought Numix was nice until I seen Arc.

Buy a mac

just add a pretty looking landscape with a snowy mountain to fool yourself the system is better

Nice waifu

xfe was just updated (1.42) a few months ago

Too much white.

Install Windows 10

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:numix/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install numix-icon-theme numix-icon-theme-circle numix-gtk-theme numix-folders

Then go to unity tweak tool and replace the default icons/theme with numix-circle and numix-gtk

BLACK'D

>Linux
You mean Ubuntu. You can use Ubuntu MATE, use ZorinOS instead, or just customise unity via some software like tweak tool. Although unity isn't very customisable, so you could just install a different DE.

Your Trash icon has aliasing. You're welcome.

Looks like shit. Menu bar looks like windows and sucks, Arc is pure trash on many levels. The only remotely good thing about this screenshot is San Francisco, even though you are supposed to use the UI variant for UIs.

Aren't those anime girl backgrounds a little embarrassing though? At least if your an adult

>yaourt

Fucking disgusting, never take advice from someone using yaourt

Why? Anime's target demographic is almost always 18-25.

Link please

Here's my opinion.

>HURR DURR, the wiki says yaourt is not secure
use whatever aur helper you want to mindless, autistic, retarded fuck

Did you actually understand WHY it's said to be insecure?

not him, but why are you buttmad? all terminal installs are shit.

inb4 hur hur I can see what's happening

Cool.

But really, you should know WHY yaourt isn't really recommended to people.

but user, i already do :)

Fuck how it looks. I would just settle for a version that's easy to install and does basic tasks that both my mac and windows computers do with ease (plays games, works with youtube and netflix, burn bd-r, convert videos, etc) without the whole thing working like North Korea designed it.

Cred Forums had a valid point for linux when WinOS cost hundreds and mac hardware cost a premium. But not when you can get windows for free easily and buy a used mac pro for a few hundred on eBay that can be upgraded cheaply to use SSD and USB 3.0 and most 3rd party GPUs (highest it will take is GTX 680)

I try every few years to see if linux has made any progress. After several attempts and not being able to even get a YouTube video to play without a shredded picture, I gave up. Give it another shot in 2020.

both are terrible but the effort to keep them updated is admirable

>shredded
do you mean tearing? like what I see on windows 7 but not on linux with or without a compositor

How can you place windows such nicely?

lol "wrong side"

honestly desu Ubuntu is fucking trash desu.

Say hello to the botnet because that's clearly NSA who's onto you for those illegal sequences of 1s and 0s

GNOME > Unity > xfeces > Windows 10 > OS X

windock

lol fucking retard

Aquasnap maybe

You got me

>trying to make unity look good

it's impossible

Run a Real Unix.

why do people install linux and then use themes to make it look like windows?

post wallpaper pls

Is that what windows looks like nowadays?

Some people don't choose their OS because of how it looks. Anyway, being able to make it look however you want is a nice part of linux.

Because Linux Users are Windows Haters rather than Unix users. Unix Users use *BSD since they actually like Unix.

I use Linux because windows 10 has shitty wifi drivers and won't turn the wifi on after it wakes from sleep.

Linux just works. It also performs better and seems much more stable.

Windows would slow down after about a months use, Linux just stays snappy.

By customising it. There are literally thousands of different ways you could customise Linux to look exactly how you want.

XFCE is the only sane choice

Unity

Shame it's dead

Not ubuntu, you're stuck with the enrichment bar. Unless you do a new install

There is literally nothing wrong with ubuntu defaults you autist.

>tiling vm

does qemu kvm work for that? or should I install xen?

blog.alteroot.org/articles/2016-04-12/road-to-xfce-4.14.html

Your fault for picking a shitty reskin of Debian desu.

>no screenfetch showing how much of a leet hax0r u are

Not OP but I just did a fresh arch install with cinnamon. I may try this. i'll go reboot now. that feel when you only have 414 package son a new install

Sorry for the delay. Got it off the internet somewhere

Give me a nudge when they fix their compositor. What an embarrassment.

Honestly, it looks better than windows

GNU is not Unix.

Numix

Unity 8

And that's why it's shit.

>caring about looks
When did Cred Forums become /fa/?

When UX designers became a thing.

deepin and compiz

>vomiting
It's not the linux, it's the baby duck syndrome withdrawl symtoms.
rms_free_software_song.ogg

>windows 10 is better than OS X
No

Why would the Chinese target their children's cartoons toward adults?

Can we ave a screenfetch ? :)

install xmonad and go full on NEET/twm

use gnome

>tiling wm
Can someone explain this meme?
The worst part of using an IDE is the bad, forced builtin tiling wm it includes for some reason.
I could see why you would use a tiling wm, if the norm for IDE's was to launch a bunch of windows, but most of Cred Forums does not use an IDE.

Either way, a tiling wm is just bad on its own.
You have 1-2, very rarely 3 windows on a single desktop/monitor at any given time so best case you save yourself the time of pressing two hotkeys for resizing windows.

And if all you do is having terminals open, why not just rice tmux?

>04eb806...
>4f6826d...
>1321427...

A E ST H E T I C

you use your computer to read, you read from the left to right, top to bottom. leave the top and left side empty ya dip, everything should be thrown to the right or bottom.

arch is nice.

unity is autisim

What the fuck are you doing wrong? Cinnamon is quick for me. It only glitches when I download large files

how can i make this look better?

for one no changes in my rxvt terminal are taking place so i can't change that terminal and i can't figure out how to set a system wide font?

I'd install gentoo

okay i'm thinking about it because i'm tired of this windows 98 looking shit. the specifications of my hardware are ridiculous and i'm running software that looks to be out of the 90s still laughing at it.

>you should know WHY yaourt isn't really recommended to people
GET ON WITH IT ALREADY

Yeah those two windows look like 90s iframes you'd see on websites. I'd back up my stuff and nuke the OS.

Simply installing a GTK theme and an icon pack should do the trick
Your terminal is ugly as shit, crappy font rendering and unnecessary top bar.
You too, figure out why terminal changes aren't applying because yours is disgusting

>Can someone explain this meme?
Sure thing. It takes away manual effort from window management, which is useful especially for keyboard-only users who don't want to constantly have to reach for a mouse in order to rearrange windows.

If you work exclusively from the terminal like I do, using a tiling wm makes it really easy to launch and close terminals often without needing to worry about layout.

>The worst part of using an IDE is the bad, forced builtin tiling wm it includes for some reason.
Can't relate. My IDE (vim) doesn't force tiling on me unless I want it to (e.g. via :sp/:vsp). And while I agree it would be better for vim to spawn multiple windows instead (so my *actual* tiling wm could take over), it is what it is.

>Either way, a tiling wm is just bad on its own.
Why?

>You have 1-2, very rarely 3 windows on a single desktop/monitor at any given time
Well, this is simply not the case for me. As we speak I have 7 windows open on workspace #1, 6 buffers and 2 windows open on workspace #2, and 6 buffers and 1 window open on workspace #3. Managing all of that by hand would be a pain in the ass.

>And if all you do is having terminals open, why not just rice tmux?
So instead of using an actual tiling window manager, I should instead use a program that badly emulates a tiling window manager using ncurses? How is using a tiling wm any better than using a tiling wm?

For example, my tiling window manager does binary space partitioning, which tmux etc. all fail to do. It also allows me to do stuff like move one particular terminal to a different workspace, which would be impossible in tmux (since every buffer is tied to the same tmux window).

There are plenty of reasons to use tiling window managers, and for those of us who are used to them they are simply irreplaceable. I hope this clears up some of your confusion.

>Antergos
Why am I not surprised that you're a little faggot that does not have any clue what he's doing. You simply copy and paste whatever you find on the internet.
Fucking disgusting

macOS

Get your hipster ass back to Starbucks

>But really, you should know WHY yaourt isn't really recommended to people.
Enlight us sensei

Get a Mac.

Taskbars on the bottom of the screen are objectively better than any alternative.

>You're faster and use less energy when moving the mouse down/toward your own body

>You don't need to be as fast moving the mouse back up after switching windows because it takes you a split second to readjust to the new window and look for what you're going to click

>Programs have title bars/tabs on the top of the window, so there's more horizontal symmetry

I'm autistic

github.com/horst3180/arc-theme

Why do people think random .jpg WINDOW looks good on their desktop?

Yeah, tearing. Video was fucked. Hell, the chromebox I bought for my mom can play YouTube videos correctly. Actually, it's far more useful than I've ever gotten a Linux distro to be. Drop $150. Add your wireless Logitech trackball/mouse/keyboard. Plug HDMI into your TV. Done.

Seriously, if you know a friend or family member who wants a computer, but is absolute shit with them, Chromebox. They will love the shit out of it and they absolutely cannot fuck it up. Best gift I've ever given.

If you have a friend or family member who ruined your life, give them a laptop with Linux and watch them go insane trying to get it to do anything useful.

KDE looks pretty damn good by default. You can easily install it and switch if you're on Ubuntu or Debian. Otherwise do some ricing. It's really easy with Unity Tweak Tool. Google it if you have questions. Plenty of support pages.

Impossible. Freetards can't into design

VFRESAkjhlbg iyszdxGHBjafhcusjkdcfggrnheisubhynexgjmhdkcuxich iijnx
>nvsdijaojklhfreukhfdgor9oe
WBL DSJhjgjtrekjgrsvdhbav huvfzcxdSJADRg xHJIghJFGDSBGJFHGKDSYUBDHas a

uiwheb krw jl;rdjg"
H

0/10 was not trolled

>Windows and OS X
>get more and more dumbed down and normie-centric
I'll have none of it, thanks

>reee norbies xD

install cinnimon, i3, or xmonad.

YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM SHOULD NOT HAVE A DIFFICULTY RATING

what the fuck that is not the image i clicked

what distro and theme?

xfce

Everything works better.

Putting a better desktop wallpaper on than the default is literally 80% of making it look awesome

Ubuntu is not GNU/Linux.
Delete this.

Funnily enough linuxtards claim their systems work so much faster, and better then windows, without taking into account their GUIs are on par with windows 98.

If you're running windows 98 on modern hardware of course it's going to really fast and responsive. I'd like to see someone on linux with a UI comparative to windows 10 and see how fast it runs..

Xfce is your friend

I'm a linuxtard and I don't use GUIs at all

>Mumble can't suppress shortcuts on Linux
>Macro keys for my shitty Razer keyboard don't work on Linux
Wtf can I use as a P2T

>Mumble can't suppress shortcuts on Linux
Not sure what you mean? Push-to-talk works for me

Also, there's evrouter which can be used to redirect stuff that the program doesn't recognize, I had to use it for the piece of shit known as teamspeak3.

>Macro keys for my shitty Razer keyboard don't work on Linux
Do they get recognized by X at all? (Try pressing them inside ‘xev’, and you should get a message on stdout if they're recognized)

If not, seek better drivers - or better yet, seek a better keyboard

i'm this poster i found out the reason the terminal was changing because i3 was launching it's own terminal so i edited to where it launches urxvt.

i've been editing my xresources and merging only problem is changes stopped happening so i did xrdb -query and output was pic related despite me deleting most that from xresource file?

nvm i had to restart x for the query to clear.

Just use OSX

It's not like anyone is going to visit him anyway.

In Windows, there's an option here to suppress shortcuts so that they don't do anything outside of Mumble.

>Do they get recognized by X at all?
No. I've read stuff about people writing Python scripts that somehow enable the keys, but they seem to be outdated.

Ah, I see what you mean. Try opening a mumble bug report. It's definitely possible even without root. For example, EasyStroke can do it. (And you could use that as a stopgap solution until mumble implements support)

For another alternative, you can do it with evrouter for sure.

Here's my take on unity.

By ricing it out yourself

What theme?

awesome rice. today was my second day on linux and pic related is what I got. i think i need to learn a lot before i can make something like you have lol.

>you read from the left to right, top to bottom
>so everything should be thrown to the right or bottom

dumbest thing I've read in this thread.

Enlightenment

Yeah, I don't understand the complains with gnome. Werks for me

That's better.

Linux mint reporting in.

Same here

I got this one last year
it's no better than the on board graphics
fucking waste of money

Install Arch and rice that bitch up!

>1024x768

Wallpaper on me fellow mint bro!

jesus that looks so good. How can I get my desktop to look like this?

Looks beautiful bro.

Thanks!

thanks

Why does that desktop icon appear to be a literal photograph of a hard drive

it is a pic of a hard drive
I made my own theme a few years ago

The desktop environment is cinnamon.

You can change things...

Dat theme is nasty imo

Stock Firefox doesn't look bad at all once you get rid of the titlebar taking up so much space

Does summer ever end Cred Forums?

>moving the mouse

literally perfect, hope your browser is riced to match too, as you excluded it

>Stock Firefox doesn't look bad at all once you get rid of the titlebar taking up so much space
how do u get rid of the titlebar?

Install a different desktop environment. Gnome is pretty great.

very carefully

This messy add-on works well for me addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/

use mint? it looks like windows 98 / XP

youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

Get KDE and listen to dank music

What's your wm, sugar?
Removing decorations is a feature of nearly ever window manager.

I just found the fucking option. thanks user!

Not with the right skin. Cinnamon's fucking god-tier tho.

Default Ubuntu theme is fine. Get some real works to do, mate.

Terry uses default Ubuntu theme

mate

ignore this guy

And it makes it painful to watch his streams.

i3.

>How to not make Linux look like shit
>Do what you need to do to not make it look like shit
>stop caring about looks and write some code
>drink bleach
>shoot yourself in the brain with two guns simultaneously

>Fluxbox
>a decent compositor
>conky
>whatever else you might like

Fluxbox looks about as horrible as a GUI can look when you first log in. It's supposed to look this way. What you are first presented with is the bare minimum for a semi-working desktop. From there you can build whatever desktop you like on top of it. This is done almost entirely by editing simple text files, which means that creating the desktop you want with it is about as simple as customization gets. I highly recommend trying it.

you have good taste in yryrs

CLI only, scrub

The only thing I particularly like about fluxbox vs openbox is that it supports tabbed windows.

I actually don't like fbpanel and if you take that away openbox is really just better imo

does not look good

Tried the packages, looks pretty good 2bh, pic related. Using the font suggested, though.

>Why am I not surprised that you're a little faggot that does not have any clue what he's doing.
I think he meant to list packages and wanted to write a few lines that update the themes automatically. They are obviously not correct, but you should still be able to understand the intention.
There is no need to be such an edgelord here

yeah it does

Install Cinnamon?

Please share the image of how to install arch. I wish to try it today. Thanks in advance

Please post your wallpaper

1. Avoid using GUI apps as much as possible
2. When you have to use X apps, use tiling WM, disable windows decorations
3.Recommended programs: tmux, i3, dmenu, surf,st.

How much RAM does that animation hog?

Thanks guys, you can always rely on Cred Forums to deliver