Linux: Something has gone wrong!

I had a perfectly functional Debian 8.5 Stable, until I did:

>sudo apt get install libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386

Then after restarting I always get pic related (I got it from the Internet, but it's the same thing) instead of the login menu. I can't even see the mouse, all I can do is hit enter and the screen goes black. Now, there was this warning in the manual page I was reading:

>Installing the 32-bit OpenGL libraries may uninstall the 64-bit drivers you may have previously installed. Installing the AMD graphics or NVIDIA graphics drivers for your system is recommended. The appropriate OpenGL library will be installed along with those drivers. If you installed these drivers from jessie-backports be sure to also install the 32 bit library from jessie-backports.

I don't know what Jessie backports are, so I'm probably not using them, I got my Debian 8.5 Stable image from the site. What did I do and how can I fix it?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/Steam
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this happens to my Debian install too, i thought it was part of the Linux experience.

>:i386

What instructions told you to install a 32 bit package on a 64 bit system?

The Debian wiki.

wiki.debian.org/Steam

Also I'm not using the proprietary drivers because apparently they're incompatible with GNOME, so I had open drivers. The first thing I think about is that I could purge libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386, but that wouldn't bring back the stuff it fucked right? Also when I was installing it I checked the info and it was 7 new packages, 0 removed, and 0 modified, so I thought it was safe.

Have you tried uninstalling the package?

After that you could try kde (or whatever) with proprietary drivers and see if it happens again.

Yeah actually from what I've looked up it says that I can change to KDE and everything should work. But I'm not a KDE man myself, that's why you see I was using GNOME. I'm thinking about purging the package then purging GNOME and then reinstalling GNOME. If that doesn't work and I don't come up with a better solution then I'll just format probably.

Protip: GNOME will cause Steam games to lock the fuck up hard, even without shitty AMD drivers.

proprietary software, not even once

I would probably first try if everything works fine with proprietary drivers.
Just to be certain that that is really the only the issue.

I would love proprietary drivers but they don't work with GNOME/Debian because:

>This driver is incompatible with the GNOME desktop, as it does not support the EGL interface. It is recommended to use the free radeon driver instead.

Also there's no way in hell I'll use anything but GNOME. I just purged the opengl package and was able to startx just fine. Now I will reboot and see if it starts automatically.

Do whatever you want.

I just thought that it might be a good idea if the lack of proprietary drivers is the only problem you have.
Steam has some issues on linux and knowing for certain what exactly the issue is may save you a lot of time.

Crisis averted minna-san, it works just like before.

Listen Pajeet your shilling is getting very obvious. My problem had nothing to do with proprietary drivers in the first place.

I am not even using fucking KDE.

Neither do I care what DE you are using. All im saying is that the wiki recommends that you use proprietary drivers so testing with whatever DE you want if steam works will help you understand what is your problem when installing steam.
Although that should be pretty obvious.

>the lack of proprietary drivers is the only problem you have

You clearly have an agenda that includes pushing proprietary drivers; it's not gonna happen Pajeet. You sure earned some good rupees posting here, but it's not gonna happen.

When doing cmake jsoncpp cannot be found... i downloaded source code etherminer from github, when i go into the build director to do cmake i get this error - pic related

Cmake and jsoncpp have been installed, i have reinatslled and updated, but it's still saying CANNOT find Jsoncpp?
I have searched up a few questions, but it's usually OSX or Ubuntu people having problems.
I'm on Fedora 23

Is jsoncpp in the same folder cmake is?

this kinda stuff happens to every linux desktop user because the graphics and gui stuff is the least tested/supported.

can you set path variables for that library during make or configure? are your current path variables set properly? i hate some of the errors from the make/configure/autoconf environment, but they are a pleasure compared to some of the ridiculously useless ms error codes.

lel this is so fucking easy

sudo apt-get install gcc g++ make dkms fakeroot
download AMD's drivers direct from their website
chmod +x amd-driver-installer-15.20.1046-x86.x86_64.run

sudo ./amd-driver-installer-15.20.1046-x86.x86_64.run --install

go install on xorg without choosing a distro specific build option and follow the prompts

No.

Should i put it into the /usr/share/doc cmake directory or the /usr/share/ cmake directory

What do you mean? The directory is correct, during build i didnt have to be in the build directory, but to make i have to be in build directory

You probably need the -devel package.

/thread

Next time go to or /sqt/ dumb faggot

Installed devel now i'm getting OpenCL erros and that json is not active?

this has nothing to do with proprietary drivers you stupid Pajeets. lrn2computer

>Windows says "something happened"
>gets shit on
>Linux says "something has gone wrong"
>part of the Linux experience

lmao, it looks like a walmart version of macOS, if macOS ever crashed

yes it does, fglrx is the proprietary driver you dumb fuck, xserver-xorg-video-ati is the open source driver, AMD's driver from their website is fglrx and the only difference is you can install from either there or your distros package manager, you don''t even use AMD or linux so what the fuck would you know, stupid vidya faggot, also I'm white

That error screen is GNOME's concoction, to be fair... any helpful information to assist the user would be seen as a feature, which GNOME don't like.