Modular device

what happened ? Did it get shut down by capitalists ?

Why can't you accept a smartphone you only need to buy once in your life, and then just replace the parts that fails over the year ?
Why do you need a 700$ device that you're push to replace every two years ?

Bump

Chinks will take over

think it got bought by Google (Project Ara) then Motorola took it over.

It was the dumbest idea possible.

The only phones that people should be buying are iPhones. I've long said this, they're the best phones money can buy. No, I'm not trolling or trying to get a rise out of anyone. These are just the facts.

They're simple, have good specifications and good support. Decent battery and good design. They work, without you having to do anything at all to them. Modular devices sounded like a nightmare and I for one am happy they were DOC.

>"the best phones are iPhones"

I don't even know what to say to this statement. You're a troll bud, either that or extremely uninformed. Is this your first day here? Do you work for apple?

Have you even tried going to the installgentoo wiki? Why are you even on this fucking website?

(you)

Retarded concept that every nerdy kid has fantasized about at some point, because they don't really know anything about electronics

>The only phones that people should be buying are iPhone.
>Modular devices sounded like a nightmare and I for one am happy they were DOC.

Why shouldn't people have the choice? Does MacBooks market share collapse because of ThinkPads?

>replying with more than (you)

He's shitposting but he's not wrong

this

it says they collaborated with project ara, a different modular device design. Project Ara was supposed to hit consumers in 2017 but also got shutdown for some reason.

Kek. Never in my life have I owned an iPhone and never will I do. The only "just works" Apple device I bought was that Nano iPod with clickwheel, and I stopped using it after a couple of months because shitty iTunes was complete nightmare to use and nothing worked as I wanted.

What's retarded about it ? Nothing. It's like a desktop, when you need more RAM you buy more RAM you don't buy a new desktop. That's not retarded that's common sense.
Somehow smartphones companies don't want to go down that road because they'll lose money in the process.
And somehow you think they're right and that the concept is retarded.

But who gives a fuck about how many millions those suits are making ? It should be you that matters, like with your desktop.

But you're probably posting from your iphone and don't know what i'm talking about.

Desktop computers aren't as space efficient and they don't need to be, whereas most people want their phones to be as tightly packed as possible. Harder to achieve that.

what do you mean ? Phones are getting bigger every year.

Yeah, but the parts are still tightly packed in there. With modular devices, a big problem is how to make them as tightly packed as regular phones. There's almost bound to be more wasted space.

Yeah, that's what something that goes in your pocket needs; sharp corners. Brilliant

Why isn't 'report for spam' on Cred Forums a thing anymore?

It doesn't even need to look like that. I just want to buy a good looking smartphone that I can take apart using a screwdriver, then replace the parts I need. Come on, even in the smallest phones there's still plenty of space. And if not, well, who actually NEEDS a

This
I don't want to have to buy a new phone just because my battery life is shite already

It had potential but they didn't want to people to have upgradeable CPU/RAM/gpu aspects.

>hur dur how does a soc werk?

>Why do you need a 700$ device that you're push to replace every two years ?

I don't. I just want it.

This is what you hippies don't understand about capitalism and the corporate society. People want it. They love it. What they don't want is some confused, meddlesome dickhead who pretends he figured out history. They don't want you, OP. Shut the fuck up. Forever. That shit in your image would be a massive commercial failure, that's why it doesn't exist.

blame the big brand android companies that sell flag ships.They are the reason nexus line is shittier.They got google on the balls saying stop selling shit that competes with our phones or we move to a different os

This wouldn't be possible anyway - too bandwidth intensive. But with non-replaceable display and battery it lost any value it had. Really sad, laptop displays are interchangeable so it's not impossible for phones as well.

>They got google on the balls saying stop selling shit that competes with our phones or we move to a different os

lol like what? gentoo? you're being ridiculous

>what is sailfishOS

Where there is a will there is a way. They didn't have any will and so they didn't even pursue alternatives to soc. With no real upgradeable path, there is nothing left for the "modular" phone.

They could have just made a huge "SOC module", containing CPU, GPU, RAM, the modem and some storage for the firmware - Android won't become SOC agnostic overnight. User data, including apps, could be stored on an sdcard. The rest was either already done(camera, battery, amp, etc) or possible to be done(display). Then there's drivers problem.

To be honest it doesn't even need to be modular after all. If it was possible I'd just buy a brand new motherboard with everything on it, but better. Like my old Xperia L. I'd be all over anyone who would make an Xperia L-compatible motherboard with 2 gigs of RAM, better CPU & GPU, GPS+GLONASS+BDS maybe, LTE ready... The 800x480 display is perfectly okay, I could deal with a small battery by carrying a spare one with me. I know I'd have to reflash and reinstall everything each time I replace the motherboard but that's to be expectes.

Shit would be flawless.

Turns out to be as stupid as it sounds.
The upgrade modules would always be late.
And so it's shutdown because no one will pay $800 for a shitty out of date phone.

>They work, [and you can't] do anything at all to them.

Fixed that for you. That's why iphones will forever suck.

>WHEN SHE THICC

Precisely. What the fuck is sailfishOS

what happened was it was fucking stupid, then the idea got passed around until everybody buying it realized this

Every time this literal retarded concept comes up it's always people who don't have a clue about how phones are put together being like MUH MODULAR PHONE WHY ISN'T IT HAPPENING

But even if you ignore that it's a shitty fucking idea

I honestly can't believe any company would put money into this shit.

Companies are pro-profit, not pro-consumer. They're not going to make something that'll make them less profit in the long run.

modular crap=more plastic

No one is asking to shut down the 700$ phone. You're talking out of your ass btw, let a modular phone compete in the market and in a couple of years it will be on top. Just because you can upgrade it how you want, you can even spew all that money in it if you want.

>no one will pay $800 for a shitty out of date phone.
It would be less than 100$ for a good phone with good modules and 50$ for the base phone (cf project Ara)

Ever considered eating a dick?

just a reminder that your overpriced garbage is less functional than my $150 laptop

I've already replied to you. However, my main idea would be that iPhone is a 443-port phone, and that sucks.

tl;dr: https is dead and has more holes than if Hans Zimmer had made the soundtrack.

>Why can't you accept a smartphone you only need to buy once in your life
Like that desktop from 1998 you're still upgrading?

It was. Not anymore. For fuck's sake we run external graphics cards on laptops now, and all other shit is plug-and-play (except CPU, GPU and battery)

Basically there is no reason not to do that, the essence of a computer is its data and you can transfer it at no cost.

>drop phone
>Components fly everywhere
>ON HANDS AND KNEES Gathering THEM UP
>Haha nerd

>drop phone in case
>pick phone up off ground

Needing a case to keep your phone is one piece

>not being able to upgrade your phone's copmonents

The Jolla company's continuation of Debian/Mer based MeeGo from the almighty Godphone the Nokia N9

Sailfish has an aesthetic as fuck interface and runs Android applications.

Is this why the ip7 has 2 gigs of ram still?

That's because iOS isn't a bloated pile of rubbish

iPhones are definitely great phones m8 but some people just want more customization, and software features.

>Like that desktop from 1998 you're still upgrading?
Yes

Ara was literally the only Smartphone I would have considered buying.

Noped the fuck out of the smartphone industry again.

I'd sooner make my own phone with a fucking Raspberry Pi and GSM.

Maybe phone technology is developing and evolving too fast for platform like this to exist and prosper

There's no incentive for companies to switch to this form of producing pieces instead of phones