SaaS

>discord is the future of voip
>free
>ip & ddos protection
>automatic fallover

SaaS is cancer. How did we let this happen?
You might say "hurr just don't use discord" but this is becoming the norm nowadays.
10 years from now there might not always be a self-hosted alternative to an application you need or want to use.

Joining the botnet is still quite optional but I don't think it will stay that way for long.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
discordapp.com/developers/docs/intro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Another pic related, half an hour and still not completely back in order.

Are you complaining that a botnet software is not working instead of being happy?

just use mumble

SaaS happened because millenials that liked things like Sublime Text and NodeJS.

If you use those, you're the problem.

And Slack, the reason Discord exists, you fucking niggerfaggot.

How is Discord a botnet?

Closed source

that's not what botnet means

>there might not always be a self-hosted alternative to an application you need or want to use.
XMPP will be forbidden to be used?

>How did we let this happen?
Open standards didn't step up their game in time

IRC is incredibly dated and XMPP is absolute garbage

>millenials
There's that word again

>Open standards didn't step up their game in time
what?

What "what"?

>Run a TS server for a gaming network I own
>All the 14 year olds are "OMG THIS IS SO FUCKING OLD HAHA DID YOU USE THIS WHEN WINDOWS VISTA WAS MADE? WHY DON'T USE YOU DISCORD?????"

Fuck it's annoying.

Newfag

i always wonder how discord eventually plans to make money from their app

they have clearly spent a lot, idk where it all came from but i'm sure whoever invested expects to profit from this eventually

i used to love raidcall... still prefer it to Discord in many ways, but these messengers, no point using one unless its the one everyone else is using.

Anyway they never found a way to make it profitable and the few things they did to eventually try and turn a profit made the last few holdouts jump ship

also, unrelated... but why the fuck doesn't Discord have a way to set your own status as "Away"?

it is gay as fuck that i don't have the option to not announce to the world every time i decide to touch my mouse. you can't do anything on your PC at any time without letting everybody know, and if you ignore somebody they know you are ignoring them, it honestly makes me kind of hate discord and hope they fail, the fact that they are so resistant to allowing people that modicum of privacy

I wonder that too, they'll probably introduce some premium features or some hard limits

Discord devs are actually pretty cunning in that matter, right now it's completely free and everyone and their grandma are switching to discord, so when they'll chop up a feature or two, it's more likely that people pay for those

that's the strange thing is they have so many much more complicated features that do almost pointless tasks, and a way to set yourself as away is something every messenger has had since web 1.0

i don't think it is an issue of they have't gotten around to it yet, or that they will have it in some premium version of the app etc

i think they are opposed to the idea of allowing users set themselves as away, and that they specifically do not want that feature to exist

i've also asked and read posts where other people have asked and gotten answers. they typically give a bullshit "thanks for your input! this is an idea we are discussing" or something kind of response... makes me think that they just don't want to say no to anybody. at one point i baited them, asked a few people to ask about if they plan to allow users to set themselves as "Away" manually, then i asked publicly something like "i know you said you'd be adding this functionality soon, when can we expect it?" and their answer was an absolute denial anybody at discord ever said that, which makes me think that the plan is to never add it, that it's known at discord, but they dont want to rile anybody up by ever saying they are opposed to whatever idea

its such a shame... it really is a privacy concern, and it makes me hope they eventually fail

... you can just close discord.

>i always wonder how discord eventually plans to make money from their app

Get it as popular as possible then sell out to a sucker like Microsoft for a billion.

That's always how it goes down with popular proprietary programs.

yeah i mean, that is what i have to do sometimes, if i'm jumping on my PC at like 4 or 5am right before going to sleep for just a couple hours only to have someone see my name light up green and start messaging me... then i have to decide between being rude or losing a few minutes of only a few hours sleep

just compared to any other messaging app ive used before, having the ability to leave it running 24/7 so it's there when i need it, it's an inconvenience. it makes me wish some other messaging app was the app everyone was using

not to mention like, it's just fucking gay, there is a reason every messaging app in the history of messaging apps has had that feature. discord thinking they know better will be why they fail, i mean look at curse, literally anybody can just clone every feature and do just a good job as discord, but like anything, they are popular because they are popular. you have to use the messaging app everyone is on because that is the whole point. sadly this one is maintained by fagets 12312313

>every messaging app of all time

maybe that's a problem of perspective. I never saw Discord as a messenger like AIM, ICQ, MSN or whatever.

It takes a great deal from IRC, and adds voice chat into the mix. It's focus is to be a chatroom, not an IM/DM tool.

I always said it. Morons thought it was the best thing ever.

Eat shit.

Man you're probably the only person having this much trouble with this away feature

>sometimes servers go down

this is an impressively stupid reaction to an unavoidable problem that all web services face

especially given this is a free service

Saged and Hidden ^_^

>mumble is the future of voip
>free
>server provider says servers are unavailable due to an outage

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Alright, alright.. So what the fuck EXACTLY is wrong with Discord? Had a friend recommend it to me over steam voice chat, skype,and team speak. So what's bad with it, give me some fucking details.

>use mumble since it's free, open source, encrypted, clarity is good, and simple (maintenance free) to host as well
>only people that complain are idiots that are too stupid for anything
>easy filter that weeds out the obnoxious folks
>mumble has its issues (like no real redundancy plan, but I plan to fix that soon enough), but it's good and straightforward

>botnet goes down
>host your own server instead
where is the issue?

Discord is just the skype alternative that finally took off.
Skype had been getting more and more intolerable for a long time and the first half decent normie-friendly alternative and it's jumped on.

>>AOL Instant Messenger is the future of chat
>>free
>>ip & ddos protection
>>automatic fallover
>SaaS is cancer. How did we let this happen?
>You might say "hurr just don't use AIM" but this is becoming the norm nowadays.
>10 years from now there might not always be a self-hosted alternative to an application you need or want to use.
>Joining the botnet is still quite optional but I don't think it will stay that way for long.

>gaming
Not everyone's a manchild

>unironically using discord
You must be at least 18 years of age to browse this website.

>discord is the future of voip
Just kill me now.

Ban them permanently.

I use it just because it's cross platform and saves offline messages.

>So what the fuck EXACTLY is wrong with Discord?
It's a closed platform

It may sound like a whine but it means that you're stuck with whatever decisions Discord devs make, even if you don't like them
First and foremost lack of clients to choose from (I don't want to keep my browser open 24/7 to say online, and I don't like their "official" client, Electron apps in general are clumsy, and Linux version of discord client is unusable)
Neither you can opt out of any discord policies by using a different server

The problem is that Discord is actually pretty solid, and a lot of people are switching to it and if you want to interact with them, you'll have to use Discord too. Open standards, that should've prevented that, never happened.

Discord has an open API and anyone can make a client. I don't see what your issue is.

What does sublime text have to do with SaaS?

All the editing is done in the cloud instead of a real program.

That's you, friendo

>SaaS is cancer. How did we let this happen?

Obligatory reading:
gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

What? No its not. Are you mixing up Sublime Text and some other program?

It's also used by hipsters who only know Javascript.

I haven't read too deep into their API, but it seems like an API to build "apps" but not clients (e.g. no voice)

Nobody fucking cares about the voice.

too bad aside from TeamSpeak every single other client version sucks even more so Discord isn't too bad in comparison

TS is nice but it has a higher entry barrier due to requiring dedicated servers and having a shit mobile app

Of course dedicated servers prevent you from the whole thing breaking because the official servers go down, but you can't have your cake and eat it

XMPP/IRC have decent selection of clients, that's what I had in mind
But those protocols have almost no voip support

Best raid boss

Discord would be fine if you had control over your own servers, as it is you're shackled to an as of yet unprofitable company (unless they're selling user data) so when their server go down you're fucked.

You are free to run any server that implements the official API and allow clients to connect to it.

>IRC clients
>nice
pick one and only one

It worked for Skype, Youtube, Whatsapp and a bunch of others, so I guess it could work for Discord too.

Okay, so how exactly would you go about doing that?

The API is right here. discordapp.com/developers/docs/intro

Just make a server that implements it, and instruct clients to replace the default discord url with the one of your server.

Yes, but how do you go about hosting your own Discord server then?

You can always keep on using IRC ehhh

Use AWS, Azure, Heroku, or your raspberry pi stored in your basement. Jesus Christ are you retarded?

>Just write your own server from scratch
So why hasn't anyone does this yet?

Because the one hosted by the Discord team works fine and not that many people are autistic tinfoilers.

things that let you easily build a system get it running are bad now?

Ye, where are those server files for someone to host a server then? You can't make a server out of thin air, and an API to contact servers doesn't help much with it.

What am I missing here, mister enlightened?

What? Are you too lazy to code one yourself? You think IRC servers just came out of thin air as well?

So make an entire new Discord that works the same way as Discord, is your way to fix the problem of Discord.
Whatever you say, retard.

How is that any different than any other application that relies on a server/client architecture?

That's the entire problem with Discord that you failed to address, retard. It's a closed software, both the server and the client. Sure, you can make your own limited client, but you still can't do shit about server, and you'll never be able to code one yourself either.

The original line of the post you (I assume) quoted was
>Discord would be fine if you had control over your own server
And your solution was to create a client with their API, which does not solve the problem, and coding your own server is pretty much the same as making a whole new application altogether. You didn't solve shit, and Discord's problem is still there. You're fucking retarded.

You can wait for someone else to write an open source server if you are too lazy to write your own. Your argument is literally
>WAHHH WHY WON'T DISCORD GIVE AWAY THE THING THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF FOR FREE
You are fucking retarded.

>THING THEY ARE MAKING MONEY OFF OF
But they aren't making money off of it, unless you count VC

Yea, good luck writing your own open source server out of something as closed and obscure as Discord, that's gonna work out well.

I don't need Discord to give me shit either, I never asked for it. I have a problem with how they run their shit, therefore, I don't use their shit. It's that simple.

The API is completely open. All you have to do is write a server that implements it. You don't have to know anything about what is running on the Discord server itself.

You can have a problem with it all you want, it will just look like you begging for free stuff.

That still limits you to whatever their API supports

Nah, I use it for C

Why do you keep posting in this thread
API doesn't cover VoIP
You can't write neither Discord client nor Discor server with it

I hate how they try to be cute about it, like "don't worry, papa discord is gonna have it fixed soon!" It's so unprofessional. I can imagine people in the HQ panicking over who spilled coffee on the RAID 0 server room.

Did you know that the owner of Discord starts companies and then sells them? They are gonna sell it in a few years.

Someone post that link exposing Discord.