Why are GIMP & Inkscape not on Steam?

Why are GIMP & Inkscape not on Steam?

It would grow the Windows and MacOS user base.

According to steam spy, ~780,389 ppl have downloaded Blender via Steam.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/365670
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_Game_Engine
store.steampowered.com/app/400040
store.steampowered.com/app/348200
gitlab.com/atom0s/Steamless
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because Steam is a video games platform, it's also cancerous.

Lel what a troll

store.steampowered.com/app/365670

Is Blender a videogame?

No but it includes a game engine.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_Game_Engine

it can also be used as a game engine. most of the software on steam has to do with game dev for example source sdk or gamemaker

I don't see anything wrong w/ having free software available through a proprietary platform.

I think it would be a great opportunity to expose free software to fledgling game developers.

store.steampowered.com/app/400040

Does ShareX include a game engine?

store.steampowered.com/app/348200

Can I make games with Nimble Writer?

as a person who uses steam, let me say this.
fuck steam.

I hate steam simply for the fact that when I use steam, I'm using it to play games. I don't want some Cred Forums-tier autist to message me while I'm playing my games. I don't care what any of the other people on my "friends" list is playing. I just want to drive my fake motorcycle.

its extreample handy if you want to queue up with friends in online games

> I don't want some Cred Forums-tier autist to message me while I'm playing my games.

Then don't sign on to Friends.

> I don't care what any of the other people on my "friends" list is playing.

Then ignore the message or just turn them off.
You fucking autist.

Who cares if you like or dislike Steam. Having FOSS available on Steam WILL grow the user base, especially on MacOS and Windows since most *nix distros have package managers.

If you want to spread the gospel of FOSS and/or grow the user base of any free software that can be used in game development, then why not have these programs on Steam?

GIMP and Inkscape can be used to make graphics for a game.

i use sharex for everything but games

> spread the gospel of FOSS
>to a userbase of proprietary software

>Nimble Writer is a general-purpose tool for writing stories, be it short fiction stories or even complete novels or books. It focuses on being distraction-free, simple, and fully customizable.

Do you know what a plot is? Ever played a videogame?

Except that nobody uses them for anything serious because they're inferior to the proprietary alternatives.

lol

image the plethora of "how to make pixel art using GIMP" videos that would be available on youtube though

Good game mechanics >>>>>>>>> game plot

Steam is a shit package manager

>First, select the pencil tool
>Now, set the size to 1 pixel

All aspects of a video game are written down in a "Design Document" before the game even enters development.

What's the point? They would give up on GIMP once they realize you can't even draw a circle.

Sure. But it barely affects the quality of the game.
At best, the story is very compelling.
Then you play through the game until the story is told.
Maybe you play it again to see if there is a different perspective to the story, but the limit will be the quality of the story.
Games without any story are basically endless entertainment.
A lot of great games do not have any story at all, and 95% of good games barely have a story.

fork GIMP
sell fork on Steam
Make tens of dollars

No, but it makes sense for it to be on steam, so kids wanting to be the next pewdiepie but are too scared to pirate shit they can't pay for may reach it.

That is fucking pathetic.
This thread is fucking pathetic.
Those people are fucking pathetic.

>planning barely affects the quality of the game

Are you always this stupid?

Do we really need more GIMP users? I don't know if Inkscape is worth a shit, but GIMP is not.

GIMP needs a name change

redundancy

Fuck steam

Really fuck steam

Shit games on a shit platform with shit drm that made drm acceptable on the average consumer

Fuck their steam os too which is an elaborate plan (funded by ms probably) to make linux look bad since valve is sabotaging it from within so they can say "we tried to make linux work with games, we poured all this money, but it just doesn't work, it just isn't as good, install windows today"

Fuck them

Are you fucking thick or something?

because they're non-commercial so they don't look for everyone to use it, just the people that need'em.

millenial detected

I second this. I miss the days when all PC games were DRM free and had used gamespy or their own multiplayer service.

Civilization 5 was my rude awakening to the beast that is steam.

Don't get me wrong, I use Steam, but I really don't like it. If we didn't have Steam, Origin and Ubilauncher, PC gaming would be so much better.

>inb4 buh my sales, my sales, my sales
Flash sales don't exist anymore but even if they did, would it really be worth losing the freedom of actually owning the game just to purchase the privilege to use the software?

Not many people realize this, but Steam and Origin have this practice where they don't actually sell you games... they sell you the privilege to use the "software." Effectively speaking, one has 0% ownership of something they bought. Tell me if that isn't an oxymoron.

We need a GNU movement in gaming.

In the moment Microsoft chose to create an app store for Windows, it turned into Valve's commercial competitor. It is in their interest to create a platform for themselves and call devs to make Linux compatible software and present it as a viable alternative to Windows as a gaming platform.

having an open source platform to plant your wall garden is ideal. microsoft will probably use dirty tactics to undermine steam as they try to convert gamers over to their windows gaming platform.

spotify has to compete w/ apple music as well as pay apple 33% of there sub fee.

having an open source alternative to steam is an interesting idea although i don't think gaming is going to go free-and-open-source anytime soon

at least the name has sex appeal

>We need a GNU movement in gaming.
There is, but the projects are always lacking in artists.

Oh yeah, and the few that do, the artists are afraid of being politically incorrect.

If anyone is interested, gitlab.com/atom0s/Steamless

Wouldn't it violate the GPL to put gimp on there?

i can see it now, Cred Forums threads claiming "gimp is vidya now, post peppers"

because they are shit. adobe's stuff is much better

>Not many people realize this, but Steam and Origin have this practice where they don't actually sell you games... they sell you the privilege to use the "software."
Yes, that is an undesirable property of all nonfree software, not just steam games. The apple app store and Google play do this too
>Effectively speaking, one has 0% ownership of something they bought.
They didn't buy the game though - they just bought a license to use it, and they own that license 100%.

>They didn't buy the game though
Because if they bought the game there'd be no barrier to selling copies of it for personal gain.
Hence the licence.

No, as long the person who puts the program there provides a link to the sources.

Don't get me wrong, adobe software is great but:

Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive