/tpg/ - ThinkPad Genera

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch (embed)

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1 (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-9800-GT-vs-Intel-HD-3000-Mobile-V2-13-GHz/m7716vsm7647
ebay.com.au/itm/Crucial-16GB-DDR3-1600Mhz-Memory-2x-8GB-High-Performance-Desktop-RAM-1-35v-12800-/282056038257?hash=item41abd99771:g:Q2gAAOSwnFZXUBz2
ebay.com.au/itm/Crucial-16GB-DDR3-1600-Mhz-Memory-2x-8GB-SODIMM-1-35V-Laptop-RAM-PC3-12800-DDR3L-/252409379450?hash=item3ac4c57a7a:g:D08AAOSwY0lXTjTB
youtu.be/bCrsOM_UBeQ
aliexpress.com/item/WHOLESALE-NEW-9CELLS-LAPTOP-BATTERY-FOR-LENOVO-ThinkPad-X230-X220-X220S-Series-42Y4874-42T4901-42T4902-42Y4940/32371549094.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_3&btsid=d4fe623e-27f1-43bd-9356-488a088b36c1
ebay.com/itm/152078911481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have never been the first one to start a general ever, so doing that was pretty cool. I came here because I now own an x220 and an x230 (just bought the x230 for my aunt), and was willing to answer questions anyone may have about either model.

>inb4 double botnet

Which one has IPS panel?

I've read that some variants of E560 use PWM at 200Hz for all brightness levels and that it causes eye fatigue and headaches.
Does anyone have experience with PWM at such low frequencies or at all?

Is Thiunkpad X250 any good? I'm thinking of upgrading from X201T to some current hardware.

What're your temps /tpg/?
T420 with i5 here. Just put on arctic 5 so I think I fucked it up. Should I reapply?

Just picked up an X230 with a dock for $100 off of craigslist.

It has an i5 and 8Gb of ram.

Ive put an ssd and debian on it, it rocks.

planning on getting a nine cell

howd i doo?

Are "SuperB Choice"batteries good?

Yes.

Is the keyboard bad?

I got about 4.5 hrs on my X260 with 3+3 battery. Running Arch with Firefox the whole time over wifi.

What's your time /tpg/?

No.

I see. Any downsides?
Also, can I plug it to hdmi via some adapter?

The keyboard is smaller compared to

nice deal
why is everything so expensive in europoorland

>bought a X230 from a german
>advertised as having an IPS
>clearly a TN
Never trust a German

>not checking the photos

That's pretty good.

There were no good photos and it was a sniping contest. Thankfully Ebay has good blackm-...return systems

which do you like better? I'm trying to decide between the two

Most sellers are idiots and just copy paste the text description from someone else

>/tpg/ - ThinkPad Genera
>Genera

Bestbuy has refurbished machines, and I see them on craigslist. Where should I look to get one?

I do basic video editing in Adobe Premiere for youtube cancer. Is the T420 decent enough for editing and rendering? Any other alternatives? I don't mind picking up a Dell or HP or other laptop if they're better suited for editing on the go.

Ebay.

I'm going to add 2nd dość to my t420. Chink 12.7mm ultrabay will do work?

I got, as a gift because my e431 is being repaired, an X100e. The battery last around 1.5 and 2 hours. For some reason it overheats a lot (always around 55°C to 90°C)

Damm, second disc
Fckin gkeyboard

What do you guys think about the Lenovo Chromebook 11e? I found a used one for $80 online and I'm thinking about buying it.

A guy is selling refurbished T430 i7 16 Ram 500 HDD and 14" screen (1366x768), and another guy is selling a used X250 i5 4 ram 500 HDD (no more info) for the same price.

Which one should I get?

I'm not going to use the x230 much because it's not for me, but despite the fact I like having more buttons so the x220 is for me, the x230 one feels so much nicer to type on in my opinion.

Fuck me in the ass user! I noticed that when I made it and told myself to correct it before hitting post.

I accidentally scratched my palmrest with my keys, does anybody know how to hide or remove scratches?

T430 upgrade the screen, swap the keyboard for the t420 keyboard, upgrade the cpu to a quad core. Good times had by all.

Help stop Thinkpad abuse.

I just ordered a refurbished T420,

Intel i5-2410M 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 HDD, DVD-RW, 14" TFT, no OS installed.

185$ before VAT
231$ after VAT
259$ total with shipping.

Did i get jewed? It was 33% discounted.
I'm from Sweden so i don't know if they are just more expensive here or something.

I'm buying it for "work" so i can use untaxed money which means it's really half price compared to if i'd buy it myself.

Did i get cucked Cred Forums?

yeah, but the chassis is stronk and you get the better keyboard of the t420. You can put 16gb on the T420 board and pretty much any 2nd gen cpu though the quad cores get warm. The i7 2720QM is pretty decent. Just make sure you have a 90 watt brick if you do the upgrade.

Forgot to add i also get 1 year warranty included which is pretty neat.

I don't really know how to upgrade anything but i'm planning to figure it out which is why i didn't really care too much about the current specs.

I hope i wont fuk it up.

it already has an i7. Not possible to upgrade the screen (they never arrived to this part of the world)

I've heard that the t420 keyboard is not 100% compatible with the t430, and I don't want to pay more (i am very poor right now)

I just did a swap on a t430s. You have to electrically isolate 2 pins on the connector and flash firmware after that everything works.

The upgrades are easy just some screws. If you are going to upgrade the cpu just be careful and use good thermal paste.

Get the X230. You can put the X220's keyboard in it if the layout change triggers you.

Does anyone know how to make the middle trackpoint button work as a scroll toggle in linux? Right now it's functioning as a left click.

Just got a t430s with 16gbs of ram without a drive for 130 bucks. Put in an old 128gb ssd. First thinkpad. Did i do good?

Yes

Now upgrade that sucker to 1080p IPS panel

Where do i find that?

w2c batteries?
about to fall for the t430+t420 keyboard+ ssd meme.
also 1366 x 768 vs 1600 x 900?

Pic related, using arctic silver 5 too.

>1366 x 768 vs 1600 x 900?
What kind of question is that, 1600x900 of course.

>1366 x 768 vs 1600 x 900
This is one of the killer deciding factors. I would never buy 1366x768 in current year.

thx, I can't seem to find a decently priced one in 1600x900 resolution.
not american btw.

Then get a 1366x768 and a 1600x900 panel at the same time, you can resell the 1366x768 display afterwards because everything uses 1366x768

didn't think about that. thx for the tip!

I found the answer on my own. Incase anyone else is wondering. You need to run these three xinput commands:
xinput set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 1
xinput set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 2
xinput set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout" 200

should i do it bros? i hear UBANTU is pretty powerful

is the x230 really worth the extra $50 or so over the x220?

My x61t is pretty comfy. Go for it.

How much should a x220 9-Cell cost?
Where should I search for one?
What should I look in one?
How long would it last me?
Is it worth buying over a cheaper 6-Cell?

if you're editing on the go you'll probably want something with better graphics, depends what level of editing we're talking about really

Absolutely, just look at it! It can access the internet!
At least at the time of the picture.

My T420s is slowly dying. What should I replace it with? I use it for coding and uni

x230
Newer style keyboard, feels nicer to type on imho for long periods (Keys can be backlit AND come with a ThinkLight)
USB 3.0 ports, only the i7 x220 has a USB 3.0 port
Mini Displayport + VGA

x220
Older style keyboard that's not as visually pleasing to most people, a little more effort to type on, still feels nice and includes more keys
Only USB 2.0 ports unless you get the i7 model which has one
Full Displayport port and VGA

What's dying?

> new keyboard > old keyboard
REEEEEEE

Shorter travel times when you're writing a lot feel nice senpai.

It crashes under load, the screen flashes in random colors. Doesn't happen too often, but it's a sign I have to get a new laptop asap

finally got everything how i like it on my t430
well almost

what do I need to make it comfier

owo wats this

underage

I'm 21 owo

Want to be my gf?

too old

Why did I buy a Lenovo Helix? The digitizer doesn't work and after looking online it says its a common problem thats pretty much inevitable and the only solution is to replace the screen and or motherboard.

So far Lenovo support has been horrible and they tried to tell me it just needs a new pen and sent me a new one, after calling back the guy told me he will review the case and will call me back. After checking online, the case is marked as closed and solved. Their online support page is broken and will not submit requests.

I know this is my fault for not doing some research first but I assumed being a ThinkPad and having such a high second hand price they were durable. Now the dock is no longer detected to make things worse. I just want it to be fixed under warranty so I can sell this piece of shit and buy a Surface Pro.

Thinking of getting a P50. Should I wait until thinkpads with different GPU options come out?

So I got this Thinkpad L420 for free from a coworker at my internship, all around it seems 5/5 breddy gud. The build quality (especially the keyboard) is definitely better than any laptop I've ever owned, why exactly are they not recommended?

Thinking of maybe upgrading the RAM and getting a small SSD. Screen is also a bit disappointing, I'm used to 1080p but this is only 1366x768 and has pretty lousy viewing angles. Is there any way to upgrade it?

T420 running a quad core at 41c? What kind of magic are you using here?
Also, how's that eGPU? Was thinking of picking up literally the same setup as you and can't find any fps counts anywhere online.

im 21 and i know bout this u have no excuse

ppl used to go on "forums" and you'd have a "signature" for every post which you could post customized text and images into

the one pictured is a popular type of image called a "userbar"

yea i also thought that temp was suspicious lol

i was happy with my i7 2620m idling around 50C

Maybe he has an external heatsink fan and is a master thermal paste applier.

There's also apparently two types of t420 heatsinks, one with one bar and one with two, which significantly reduces heat.

yea i have the 2bar version (it comes with the discrete graphcis model)

>tfw no one on ebay specifies TN or IPS and I don't want to gamble

even if you get an ips x220 then it's going to have terrible screen burn.
might as well buy one with a broken screen, and just drop in an IPS one

They aren't recommended because they are a bit lower quality than the flagship T series. I know that the screen and overall laptop is thicker on that particular L series.
It doesn't have the 7 row keyboard.
Overall, it is of just lower quality and more plasticy, you would get what I mean if you held the equivalent T series.
This isn't to day that the laptop is particularly bad, but it just isn't as good as the real deal.

screen burn from use or from the low quality IPS?

both
they're all shit

Isn't it pretty much the same as the X201? that shit never burns.

x201 doesn't have an ips screen

Is there any higher res panel replacement for the X230?

drop in replacements?
not any that I know of (anymore)
there's some chinks selling modified x220/x230s with a 13" 1080p screen though (although I wouldn't trust them)

Yeah I read about that, it's a hackish solution and reduces your battery life. Meh, gotta buy a X240 and replace the trackpad then.

Got one of these on it's way to me.

You can swap in an AFFS panel which is essentially the same thing.

>Lenovo Solution Center

who manages the pastebin link? I have an indepth libreboot guide to add

you could have just asked him to check the screen model from the OS

memepads look good with wear imo

A new palmrest is about $5 on eBay.

use some of that as seen on tv shit

ask them to check screen model in device manager

it's supposed to show up as flexview if it's IPS, right?

Do you do any photoshop or 3d work? If so does the screen seem too small for it at all?

I'm afraid not. I do basic shit posting, music, and the original Doom. Have you ever been able to play with a 12-inch laptop at all? If not a local wal-mart or bestbuy should have _something_ in that size to play with.

I'm going to go out on a limb here though and say that the x220 isn't going to be that great for it. I remember watching a review of the x220t and the guy saying he did photo work but, you're going to be using a 1366x768 screen. I don't know how many people have cameras that take photos that small nowadays.

You could always plug the x220/230 up to an external monitor, but that may be a non-solution if you're planning on doing those things on the go (which, seeing as it's a laptop, stands to reason.)

I'm thinking about getting an X60 cheap off Craigslist. Are those recommended if I'm basically just looking for a super portable laptop to carry around with decent battery life? Also, what can I do with the built in tablet function besides movies, reading, and drawing?

It literally would be as simple as just being the first one to post the new /tpg/ thread. I posted it, and it was my first time posting a general ever. I'm pretty sure generally people just copy and paste, link to old thread, and repeat until something major enough changes that it's necessary.

If you want to amend a guide, copy and paste the old, add in the new shit, be the first one to post /tpg/ and use the new link. Most people wouldn't even notice.

define decent battery life
if you are fine with web browsing at 5 fps then it can get like 5-6 hours with a new battery
but if you want at least a halfway decent web experience you'll need to turn off any power saving modes, which will get you like 1-2 hours of battery life.
> Also, what can I do with the built in tablet function besides movies, reading, and drawing?
that's pretty much it
also don't expect it to be super fast, or play 1080p video smoothly.
an ulv from 2007 aint very fast, and a 1024x768 screen doesn't look very good for anything but 4 chin

that's a good point. Guess that's what I will do. Maybe I'll add an email for suggestions if people want to add things.

I have a list of general things to consider when purchasing used Thinkpads that I compiled from my own experience as well as several anons contributing details over previous threads

Also have a very detailed beginner friendly libreboot hardware flashing guide.

These should both prove useful hopefully

You'll have a better time with an X201. The X60 is starting to show it's age.

Is it alright for programming? I'm trying to get into that. Also, is the X61 or X200/X201 a better idea than the X60?

I should also mention that I'll be able to get the X60 for

I was able to get an x201 for $75 so by far go for that
ideally save up a bit more and for $150 you can get a fully working x220, or for $100 + $15 you can get an x220 missing a part + that part and it will be a FAR better machine

>a 1024x768 screen doesn't look very good for anything but 4 chin
If he's getting an X60 tablet, it does have a 1400x1050 option which would be much more usable. That is pretty rare, though.

>What kind of magic are you using here?
Arctic Silver 5 and line method because the quad core is a rectangle.

>Also, how's that eGPU?
Pretty good, no noticeable difference unless you run benchmarks and it serves well for my current purposes.

It's the stock one with no dedicated graphics, pic related my temps now while shitposting on my bed.

what are your plans for it?

Games I haven't played in years, email, IRC.

Well a major part for me was the 12.1 screen size rather than the 12.5 of the x220. That obviously is nearly nothing, but I already have a decent midsize laptop so I'm really looking for as small as possible.

Also I just found a x200s for $100, but it's not the tablet variation. Is that a better deal than the $70 tablet X60?

Does the s stand for something meaningful, or just some general suffix?

remember screen size doesn't equal overall laptop size/weight
and the x220 is smaller than an x200, and the x220 is thinner, and nowhere near as long as the x60 tablet, while being not that much wider
and the s means slim, shitty ulv cpu, possibly 1400x900 screen, shitty battery life

nice, hope everything is in working order

Anybody own a T460? Is it worth it?

Hm. I'm glad I came here before I splurged on a possibly subpar thinkpad. I think Im gonna try and wait for a deal on an x220 in that case.

As do I. Eventually I'd like to get an earlier model for earlier DOS games as well. I haven't decided which model, though.

Slightly Cred Forums, but will a T420 play Tera at low-mid specs? I haven't gamed in a long time and MMOs seems to have gotten really good graphics in recent years.

minimum specs look really fucking low, so probably

Doubt it, the t420 can't even get stable 40 fps in csgo with the integrated hd3000. Maybe the dedicated NVS is a bit better but still.

You're better doing an eGPU setup.

can't recommend from experience but good luck

no.
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-9800-GT-vs-Intel-HD-3000-Mobile-V2-13-GHz/m7716vsm7647

The NVS dGPU cant match up either.

My T43 had sexual relations against her will today.

i bought an x220 for 200 bucks refurbished
did i get jewed?

It's been a while since I've seen X220 prices on ebay, but $200 sounds very fair.

I paid like $450 for mine two years ago with a decent enough intel ssd (can't remember but it's at least more than 100GB), 8GB RAM, i7, and healthy 9-cell. They averaged about $275-$400 back then.

Is the ability to use msata ssd on ThinkPads with core i-2nd gen worth it? I need a laptop fast and don't know if it's worth waiting for me to find a good ThinkPad instead of getting something like an elitebook that I've already found.

It's been worth it for me.

>Is the ability to use msata ssd on ThinkPads with core i-2nd gen worth it?
why shouldn't it be?

I'm holding out for the t470 to replace my current t430, though I'll be annoyed to lose my 1tb msata ssd I really need more than 6 hours of battery life, and the upgraded screen on the new models is huge.

Am I an idiot for waiting until January of next year for a laptop that might only have m.2 storage (I'll be fucked if I lose my 2tb ssd)

You can use a converter for the mSATA drive and stick it in a regular drive bay.

My t430 has a 250gb 830 for the boot drive, a 2tb 850 pro in the ultrabay, and a 1tb 840 evo in the msata. I'm Ok with moving the msata to an external enclosure but if the t470 goes pure M.2 I'm gonna be fucked for my storage drive.

posted this in another thread not to long ago, i was able to snag a T430, 8gb, i5 off ebay for $143. hoping to get a 128 msata ssd and put mint or some other shit

>dual core i7
for what purpose

it's barely an upgrade from the i5 2520m

1MB cache more, thus eGPU works much faster
Higher iGPU clock frequency, thus faster

Convince me to use the mSATA slot on my x220 for an SSD instead of replacing the HDD.

Thinkpad T460 or Latitude E7470?

Sorry for highjacking, but I am also looking at thinkpads (new one since I can't buy used hardware with my subventions) and I am surprised by the CPUs : only ultra low voltage (under clocked) are available and the upgrade from the "entry core i5" to a "better" core i7 (the best available for the x1 carbon) costs $200+ for 1Mb of cache and few MHz at max frequency.
As if it wasn't enough, you can't order more RAM if you don't upgrade to the most expensive CPU...

How do I make my mind on which CPU to order? Is buying the laptop and the upgrade parts separately the only solution?

>Latitude E7470
For newer series I honestly think Dell is better.

Yo, got a T460s in february this year and it has been fucking a lot. Gotten three bluescreens since I got it.

First of all the battery lost like 60 % wear in a few weeks, so I had lenovo send a technician and replace both batteries (much better now).

Second of all the trackpoint was fucking since the start (extremely slow and couldn't move mouse up as well as I could move down etc). Got that replaced as well and it works well now.

Recently the left mouse button on the trackpoint nav thingy is fucking, doesn't register a click correctly unless I press in the center/hard.

Do I just have a defective unit and should I try to get the whole thing replaced? Have any others with the t460s had these problems?

Is there something special I can tell Lenovo to make them change my whole unit?

I would honestly rather have the Lx20 series over the new T series.

>dedicated hardware buttons
>status lights
>no gay function lock

You know Lenovo fucked up when their modern "premium" stuff is worse than their budget line from a few years ago.

This is the sort of shit I mean.

Lenovo's customer service has gotten way shittier over the years. I remember buying my T500 in 2009 and I thought the keyboard flexed too much compared to my dad's T42. So I called Lenovo, bitched about the flex and they sent me a new T61 keyboard with the solid backplate. I was honestly impressed. But good luck getting them to do something like that now, I can't even get them to replace a faulty screen on my brother's T550.

Guys, in november I'm going to receive 300€ for a job I did. What chinkpad should I buy? I need one with a i5 processor and an ssd (128gb is more than enough).

You could use the mSATA SSD to boot Windows and keep all your programs, and maintain the internal HDD for your animays.

Man, the classic dome is awesome. It's fast and accurate. Until it loses the rough texture, which happens quite quickly, then it's pure shit.

I actually haven't had any problems with the customer support per se. They've always been very helpful and sent spare parts and repaired and stuff. I'm just worried that it'll keep breaking down part by part because I've gotten a faulty unit, like from a faulty batch or something...

Getting tired of replacing parts, feels like I'm going to have the whole computer replaced soon.

Recently bought a thinkpad L460 and i'm considering swapping to linux on it.
I have literally zero experience with linux and i just want the procedure to go as painlessly as possible, any recommendations for what distro to get etc?
Physics fag so mostly using the computer for python, latex and matlab.

I just ordered a new ThinkPad because I needed a laptop and got a sick discount.
I ordered it with W10, will it be good to go like that or do I need to do any botnet removal first?

You could just embellish the problems and talk about shit like "intermittent shutdowns" which may trigger them together do a motherboard replacement. Worth a shot.

>new thinkpad
what model and for how much?

>Recently bought a thinkpad L460

I'm so sorry that you suffer from mental retardation.

Is an X201t good for photoshop and software development? Like java and vb.net development.

Complete newcomer to Cred Forums here and i've had a thinkpad x220 lying around for ages. I'm looking to upgrade the RAM and I did a bit of searching however i'd like to double check with you guys,would this be compatible? I think the pins might be wrong

ebay.com.au/itm/Crucial-16GB-DDR3-1600Mhz-Memory-2x-8GB-High-Performance-Desktop-RAM-1-35v-12800-/282056038257?hash=item41abd99771:g:Q2gAAOSwnFZXUBz2

That's desktop RAM, you need laptop DDR3. That's the only real requirement, Thinkpads aren't picky. If it fits, it sits.

>not filing a dispute

Ah thanks! Would this do the job then?

ebay.com.au/itm/Crucial-16GB-DDR3-1600-Mhz-Memory-2x-8GB-SODIMM-1-35V-Laptop-RAM-PC3-12800-DDR3L-/252409379450?hash=item3ac4c57a7a:g:D08AAOSwY0lXTjTB

Yeah, that'd work fine. It might not run at 1600MHz depending on your BIOS version, but it'll work nonetheless.

Cheers.

help

Return it fambrah. I've had dumbasses return shit for far less.

What if I don't watch animes? And if I did, why would I want to save episodes I have already watched?

Limited to SATA 2

For when you need to rewatch to write reviews and a blog post.

had this happen on my X250, got a partial refund from the seller

Currently just using a HDD on my x220 right now, would buying a mSATA be the way to go for the next upgrade, and if need be in the future I can just replace the HDD with a SSD?

If I do end up upgrading to mSATA+SSD, would the mSATA be used better as a storage space and use the SSD to boot due to the speed of SATA III vs SATA II? Of course I don't necessarily have to dedicate each to their own 'function', im just seeing if it's financially better to invest in a 500gb mSATA or just go for a 100gb one.

Not the same guy, but
Should I just get one with 1333MHz then?

I want to get an SSD for my x220.
The Samsung 850 EVO is pretty expensive, it is okay if I get a Sandisk/Transcend one?

I can get a T420 for 160 bucks right next to my home, should I get it?

Does anyone else get crackling when using the headphone jack on their dock? :(

Get the Samsung 750. Its barely any slower and costs at least 30% less.

We use them in our office pc's. Excellent drives.

Just make sure they are not TLC based drives. If you're going to use TLC storage, you may as well just shift + delete your most important files.

I have to problem where sometimes my thinkpad with a fresh botnet10 install refuses to wake from sleep. Anybody know how to fix it?
I tried the basic stuff like drivers and bios updates and it refuses to go away. Could I warranty for this even with multiple upgrades?

All Samsung drives are TLC.
Infact almost all drives are TLC now. Only drives from 1 or 2 years ago are MLC.

So? It's not like you'll feel a difference in daily usage.

I was in the same boat mate and chose the E7470. So far I have to say I'm quite pleased with it.

That's as much as refurbs go for on newegg I think.

I'm going to shill the Latitude E6230 for a sec, but it's a really nice laptop.

Maybe you won the silicon lottery cause I ran a i7 2630qm in mine and it never went below 55c while idle.

Also, what do you mean there's no noticeable differences? Wouldn't vidya performance be amazing?

>local craigslist listing for a P50 for $1200

Is this a scam or stolen? Most of the listings I see on eBay are at least $1300-1600.

T520 with a dGPU and quad core, or w520 if you're able to spend a few hundred more.

Spoiler that image. Lewd as fuck.

>Maybe you won the silicon lottery
I don't think so, there's a guy on youtube that gets around 36c after installing a 2670qm in his T420, i'm jelly.

>what do you mean there's no noticeable differences?
Meant differences as in the same card on a desktop without the ExpressCard eGPU adapter bottleneck. But yeah runs fine, a huge performance increase from the integrated HD3000 of course.

That's pretty insane. Maybe I just applied the thermal paste incorrectly. What adapter are you on?

The expresscard variant of the EXP GDC.

V8.0 from banggood?

The one from Gearbest.

Damn, I was gonna order that too but the duties will rape my ass.

Actually the one from Gearbest and the one from Banggood look like the same item with the same version.

I only ordered from Gearbest because i managed to reduce the price with points that i had on the site and because of the free worldwide shipping.

>tfw no import tax for chinkshit

If any of you anons are looking for a way to extend battery life for your x220 I reccomend getting this. It's much cheaper and the one I got from them is legit and lasted me over 3 hours. Feels good man.

Nah it's definitely V7.0 I think. The express shipping option is being serviced by DHL who will hold your item until you pay them like 30 fucking dollars for anything above 20 bucks. Canada is a hellhole.

Is there a great build quality difference between the Silver Thinkpad 13 and the Black one?

Is the t420 big as fuck? Anyone have a comparison to the x220? Wondering which one I should get for traveling

X220 for travelling always.

Well Banggood has the v7 and the v8 on sale, mine looks like their v8 so i think that Gearbest just doesn't know what the fuck it's selling.

If you don't plan to game much, an X201 would serve you well for traveling.

What's the difference? Both don't have a dgpu for gaming anyways.

The X201 is a bit smaller. If you get an X201, I recommend you swap in an AFFS panel. If you get an X220, I recommend you swap in an IPS panel.

No, they're both just as shitty.

Is a T460 with the following specs a good deal? The price is 970 euro.

>i7 6600U
>8gb DDR3
>256 gb ssd
>1920x1080 IPS
>3+3 cell battery

Even QTS love thinkpads
youtu.be/bCrsOM_UBeQ

Quick question: I bought a mini display port to hdmi adapter for my T430, it works well under windows, but linux mint fails to detect the second monitor. I tried with nouveau and nvidia drivers, none worked. Any ideas?

What does xrandr say?

Somebody else has to have had this issue. I've seen lots of comments on the internet, but no real solution other than lol hold the power button.
It's driving me crazy as the laptop is perfect in every other regard.

Nothing, only sees the laptop screen, arandr reports the same, as expected.

not really

I would just get a Windows 10 ISO, do a clean install, and manually install the zero, one, or two drivers that Windows didn't find.

>managed to find a T420 under £130
>will be able to afford a RAM upgrade right away
>just need to make sure the remaining 2 aren't sold within 48hrs
>mfw

>All Samsung drives are TLC.
No. Samsung 850 Pro is MLC.

Nah, T420 is a comfortable 14 inch, and it's not that heavy. Like, easy-to-lift-with-one-hand heavy.

By travelling, do you mean you carry it around everywhere or do you go somewhere and plop it on a desk for a week? If the latter, I'd go for the T420 but if you carry it around all the time it's better to get the X220.

i feel that i cannot use the classic dome for long time periods, as it makes the finger quite painful.

for me, the soft rim is the best. it's not as accurate, but i've gotten used to it.
it's most ergonomic out if the 3 in my opinion

Any serious advantages over a regular 9-Cell?
It looks kinda ridiculous, especially on X-series, in my opinion

What? The 9 cell looks ugly as fuck compared to slice battery.

> Not liking ass
user, pls

>not liking thicc

>tfw just bought a P70

Did I fuck up?

thicc is shit
slim masterrace

reverse image search isnt giving me shit, help a nigga out

what graphics driver package do i need for arch on a t430

screenfetch is giving me this but everything seems to be working fine...

[[ ! ]] modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found in directory /lib/modules/4.7.4-1-ARCH

Hey /tpg/ any idea what a reasonable price is for let's say a t420 without ram or a harddrive?

I may have found a good deal, but I'm not sure yet.

Can anyone recommend a retailer that sells genuine x220 IPS displays?

I am afraid to get chinked.

>X230T doesn't have a battery input slot to charge an extra battery
Lenovo really needs to stop fucking up everything

iqdb -> SauceNao

for hmanga pages

What do you mean by that what input slot are you talking about in the older lenovos?

found it on SauceNao, thanks nigga!

Teach a man to fish...

yeah, the older X line docks had battery connectors so you could charge an extra battery on the side

this is really convenient for someone that has two 6 or 9 cells that needed daily overnight charging

Thinkpad T420, i7, 500GB HDD, 8GB Memory - $250
y/n

How hot to T420 with i7 run compared to i5?

Does the x220 have it? If so ,where?

Some neckbeard might tell you that it's a little pricey, but y

Not sure, but I'd just go with the i5 anyway because the difference between i5 and i7 in terms of processing speed is probably negligible, and the latter will use more power.

>$100
fuck. that's how much I paid for my x201
at least I have a great keyboard and 16:10 screen

Hey /tpg/, I have an X300 that I want to breathe a little more life into. Right now it's running Windows 7 and the thing is an absolute bag of shit.

What's a lightweight, fast Linux distro that will not tax the L7100 too much?

maybe
depends what was in it

Crunchbang++/bunsenlabs

>i5 and i7 in terms of processing speed is probably negligible
unless the i7 is one of the quad cores

>latter will use more power
both the stock dual core i5 and i7 have a tdp of 35w, the quad core i7s have 45w.

Falling for the debian + rice meme. Literally just install debian.

Refurbished Latitude E6410 + Linux Mint = perfect casual laptop for < $200

> install debian
> okay ready to use iceweasel that was last updated in july 2007

I wanted a Mi Notebook Air but after browsing this thread I want a Thinkpad.
Fuck you guys and I can't carry an old bulky laptop with me.

X1 Carbon or X250

all you said was "I don't know how to use Debian"

>X1 carbon
The one with the hideous bar?

doesn't look like it
seems they stopped doing it after the X200
see the battery port in the picture?

Was the most useful dock feature since I never used my laptop as a desktop

Thinking of buying a T430, most sellers don't mention whether theirs have nvidia graphics or not, is there any way other way to know they have them like for example if the machine has an i7 or backlit keyboard?

How does /tpg/ feel about the Toshiba portege line?

You can look up the type number, but that's hard to get on the T430 without asking the seller directly since Lelnovo decided to move it under the battery, because fuck useful things that make life easy.

Found a i5/4GB/250SSD 2014 carbon for 400 bux, should I go for it? It says it got a 1gig dgpu, anyone know if it's Intel HD or something else?

Well yes I could but I would then have to ask a ton of them, and some are actually too ignorant to know what im talking about. I asked because I know T520's for example had an esata port only on machines with disctete graphics and X220's with usb 3.0 have i7's, so I thought I could look get a clue from pictures alone. Oh well.

>How is it to use a X21 in 2016?
Ask me

>get Thinkpad A22m for free
>boot up NetBSD
>immediate freeze
>computer no longer POSTs
>reseat RAM
>computer boots, hour then freezes
>reseat RAM
>the cycle loops

Unstable as a nuclear reactor.

can you pin a technical reason on this? NetBSD should scale fine to toaster levels iiuc

How is it to use an X21 in [CURRENT YEAR]

Can anyone that has used the xx20 and xx30 series keyboards comment on how bad the new keyboards are? I don't mind the chiclet style much but im worried about the new layout.

the RAM slot needs cleaning probably

or worser, desoldering

sounds miserable enough

So, Fix it. You cunt.

Paintful, to say the least. The poorfag that I am get used to it, though

holy crap, pop open your laptop and put the hinge back in place.not hard.

It's suffering being on a T43 with lubuntu. X21 must be aids, but comfy.

>buy laptop
>keyboard doesnt work (control key is permanently pressed or doesnt work at all so you cant do shit)
>reseating the connector does jack shit
>rest of laptop is mint
>seller sells keyboards for this
do i ask the seller to send me a good keyboard or just file a claim and send it all back despite it being a near mint machine?

They're still pretty much the best laptop keyboard out there, some people are just autistic

What model and how much did you pay for it?

I-its not a thinkpad, i just know that this thread has good ebay advice. The keyboard sells for 1/2 of what the laptop does (old af laptop) and i already have RAM for it on the way,

what OS do you have on it? Does it have deblobbed coreoot?

There is an R61 near me for 100$
Think its worth picking up?

Send him an ebay message saying it wasnt as described and you want a new keyboard
If he balks, file a dispute with paypal.

Ebay sellers get fucked nowadays, you have all the power

Put it towards a T61/p (that isn't affected by the nvidia justaclock).

>3 pen related drivers for the first-gen Helix
>all are "up to date"
>pen barely works: it can be used to draw but there is no pressure sensitivity, it cannot be calibrated and it will not respond to any changes in pen related settings such as not having it right click if I hold it down in one spot

I would gladly trade for a T43. Anytime. 2GB vs 384MB max memory would make a huge difference, whatever the installed OS

XP Pro SP2.
>deblobbed coreoot
Spit it out in english, please

Should have gotten an iBook. PPC still has a rather large hobbyist userbase. And a few nuts that still daily drive OS9.

nothinkpad here

What do I need to know about buying/upgrading/improving/whatevering a thinkpad? What model should I get?

I had a friend who had a thinkpad and that thing was a fucking workhorse. I want the same thing. I want a laptop that will never shit out on me and will work for years for all the general work/school shit.

Any responses appreciated.

you did fucking amazing, great deal my man

Post your requirements for a laptop first.

>I want a laptop that will never shit out on me
Get anything that is not a Thinkpad.
My family has owned four Thinkpads, and each developed its own set of issues.
Two died when they were still fairly new, one decided that its copy of Windows was unregistered, and my current one doesn't have a properly working pen despite being a tablet among countless small bugs.

post the models of all 4 of those user.

All first-gen Helix, except for the one to decide it wasn't registered Windows (T61)

What do you want one for?
Upgrading-wise, it's up to what deal you pick up and what you want out of it. Upgrading any thinkpad with more RAM and an SSD make it a truly amazing machine, but far from required (I run a x220 with 4gb RAM and a 320GB HDD, and it's still amazing)

Want something that you can take anywhere? A travel machine? Something ultra-comfy? Look into x series. If you're poor and want old thinkpad features, x200. If you want something a bit newer, x230. If you want both worlds, x220 is great.
Same applies for t series, but only if you want a regular-sized laptop but with a possibility for a far better screen and more room.

I bet both of those issues are because you're using PajeetOS.

I want one that I will be able to take with me through the army and college. I'm not going to be playing anything on it besides runescape if I play games on it at all. Its mainly going to be for school purposes.

T420

Most of them should last you well.
Both T420 and X220 are good options for you.
If you're afraid about how long it will last you, just save up for a SSD, more RAM, and a 9 cell battery and you'll be good.

That's what you get for getting a helix. Something is up if you need 3 separate drivers for the pen
>X series tablet
>install wacom shit driver
>it just werks until the cursor decides to fly off into the aether because you got an X220 tablet and wacom QC is dodgy

That's really your fault since the helix doesn't even have a real trackpoint and we do drone on about ChinkPad models ad infinitum. The Windows incident wouldn't be a ThinkPad issue though - and you should be able to rectify it yourself anyway

dispute on paypal or ebay?

thanks for the recommendations, a t420 is what my friend has. are there actually places to install/replace those components? ive never fucked with the internals of a laptop before, only done replacements to my desktop.

Thinkpads are really easy in regards to replacements.
They even have special slots for all of that stuff.
Look up a guide or go to some local IT service if you're too afraid to do it on your own.
It's not difficult at all.

>ive never fucked with the internals of a laptop before, only done replacements to my desktop
Don't worry, being easily serviceable is one of the features of old Thinkpads and you even have a hardware maintenance manual for guidelines on how to change every part.

For example this user has a t420 with an aftermarket quad core cpu and a desktop gpu.

not that user, but my dad has an Asus laptop and the charging port, which was soldered to the motherboard, broke. if his friend from work wasn't able to solder a new one on, we would have had to buy a new motherboard. If I get a thinkpad and the charge port breaks, can i replace it without soldering anything?

can't really say, sorry. look into the guide of whatever model you're thinking about buying.

What OS are you running? I noticed that my x100e can't even run the Windows it shipped with without becoming a thermal nightmare. I'm now running WindowMaker Live and my temps rarely get above 60C, typically hover around 40-50C.

Somewhere between 3-4 hours on my bundled x220 6-cell.
Thinking about getting a new 9-cell soon.

where do you guys buy replacement batteries?

aliexpress

I just get a new T420

thanks, my battery is fine now, but I was thinking of stocking up on an extra. Do replacement batteries become less available? Should I just get one once my battery is actually close to needing replacement?

aliexpress.com/item/WHOLESALE-NEW-9CELLS-LAPTOP-BATTERY-FOR-LENOVO-ThinkPad-X230-X220-X220S-Series-42Y4874-42T4901-42T4902-42Y4940/32371549094.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_3&btsid=d4fe623e-27f1-43bd-9356-488a088b36c1

Shall I? Never bought any non-bundled batteries before, so I don't know how much I should pay for one or what to expect

My T420s shuts down randomly. It's probably not thermal related, because the problem still exists when the laptop is cold. My guess is that the power button is fucked, in that it gets pressed randomly or something.

did anyone else have this problem?

not him but the screen is too small for both photoshop and 3d work, and the **20's GPU is too slow for any significant 3D work.

Dear god, my new dock for my 420 has VGA, DisplayPort and DVI out but no HDMI. I have to buy an adaptor or a DVI cable, kek.

Duh. HDMI is consumer pleb tier.

What's the point of this CPU?

That's actually a good point. Monitors where I work are mostly DVI with some ancient VGA ones.

When are the next x1 carbon / xps 13 scheduled?
>tfw current x1 carbon is not worth it and the dell's content adaptive brightness cannot be disabled in the OS of freedom.

use an egpu :^)

are there any good alternatives to tpmiddle? it's not working as well as the Linux implementation of middle click/scroll

I won't be doing anything to demanding like high poly modeling and rendering. that's what my desktop is for. I'd stick with lower poly stuff for my thinkpad. but since it's probably too small i'll likely just get a t430

T420 or X220, the latter if you don't want to carry around a not trivial extra amount of weight in your bag. The plus side of the T420 is more durable and bigger screen (X220's screen is less comfy if you're ocularly challenged).

T430 or X220 if you want something slightly newly and don't mind the chiclet style keyboard. I wouldn't mind it but some people are really particular about their keyboards.

In theory they should be equal in build quality, but the X220's left corner is flawed because the expresscard slot is there, and isn't very reinforced. It also has a panel thing on the top of the lid that breaks relatively easily, especially in the inevitable fall. But I've dropped my X220 two times from roughly waist height and nothing came of it besides it looking like Rihanna after Chris Brown did her in.

ebay.com/itm/152078911481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

thinking of pulling the trigger. any potential red flags I should be aware of?

>no pictures of the actual item
>no mention of screen res

Oh, if you have a desktop and you only use your laptop for light away-from-home work then it's definitely doable. I wouldn't consider it an enjoyable experience, though, especially with those typical thinkpad screens.

How are newer thinkpads on battery life? My T420 is poopoo while streaming videos, even with its 9 cell battery.

What price have you found? I'd probably say for the UK that £80-£90 is a good deal; especially if you have RAM and a HDD around the house.

fedora
sorry about the L series

Anyone in Vancouver, BC want to trade thinkpads

Any suggestion for something small for pen testing learning and research purposes?

New thread: