Word 2016

Holy fucking shit, this is the worst word processor I've ever used. It's incredibly sluggish and memory intensive, the UI is obfuscatory and arbitrary, but only after you can dig through the cesspit of ugly nonsensical icons and geometry that hide it from you, and not a single feature is clearly demarcated or placed where you would expect it to be. The worst part is that there are a few nice features like the citation system but they're all underdeveloped and hidden behind so much bullshit that you'd rather perform their functions manually. I'd rather use an electronic typewriter than this steaming hot pile of shit. Word is the flagship Microsoft Office product so I'm assuming all the other components of the suite are even more fucked.

Why do businesses and schools and other institutions still pay out the ass to use this trash?

>Word is the flagship Microsoft Office product so I'm assuming all the other components of the suite are even more fucked.
>Why do businesses and schools and other institutions still pay out the ass to use this trash?
What? Excel and Outlook are the flagship products. Businesses pay for those and some other products come with them.

Ever consider testing for autism, OP?

could be worse. you could be using openoffice.

They're paid by Microsoft to spread their trash.

Fucking duh.

PEBKAC

Excel is awesome

Just use office 2007. Small gets the job done.

>openoffice
>libreoffice
lmao

Tfw libreoffice might be better than word in a couple years.

It's too bad there are no real alternatives other than

It's already better than word 2016.
Problem is that libreoffice is competing with word 2007 which people only use because the one before it doesn't do docx.

The fuck? My shitty toaster laptop can handle Word 2016 no problem. It's the smoothest and most satisfying word editor I've used to date.
Not even a shill, I generally hate Microshit.

I'm using Office 2003 with the file format converters. Works just fine for me, and reads documents fine created in newer versions. I've disabled all the macro shit too.

Are you guys that retarded.
I use Word processing Software alot to write Term papers or scientific papers.
Everything else is worse if you want to organize an ass long doc.

You guys are severly autistic...

are you really this fucking delusional

LO is a steaming pile of poo

People have been saying that damn near a decade now, still waiting for it to happen.

>UI is arbitrary
Perfect example of someone using words they don't understand to sound smarter than they are.

then dont use it?

Lol, no. LaTeX >>>> Word. Especially for scientific papers and organization.

txt > LaTeX > Google docs > LibreOffice > MSOffice

Agreed. Taking a class in it currently and Word 2016 combined with Windows 10 makes me so fucking mad. If I had a dollar for every time a random crash happened, especially on the computers in the school's lab. Horrendous.

I think the OP means there's a lot of useless buttons that have no reason to be there

underrated

not OP, but do any of you fags know how possible is it that one's aspergers could have been misdiagnosed as ADHD in childhood?

>Why do businesses and schools and other institutions still pay out the ass to use this trash?
Because everyone else uses it, that's why.

Every now and then some smart guy customer sends our agents an apple word processor file type, which of course they have no idea what to do with and come pester me to help with.

>
>not using office 2003 with compatibility pack

Yeah, some use Latex, too.
But mostly the visibly autistic and socially awkward ones.

Depends on the branch of science I guess.
LaTeX dominates in Math/Physics heavy fields.

Is it really?

LibreOffice is a piece of garbage.

I installed it because I rarely do need to edit a word file or two. It works. But it looks like utter trash. Now, I'm not some font sperg like many others on this board. I recognize that font rendering on Linux is miles ahead of Windows, and I realize that Firefox does a better job than Chrome, but I'm generally not bothered by it.

I just pasted Wikipedia's ToS into LibreOffice Writer.

Look at it.

I can't remember ever seeing another program that looks so much like pure ass.

1080p, fullscreen, most recent version. I don't remember changing any settings.

Look at it.

>too incompetent for fucking Word
Can't make this shit up

>LibreOffice

>Times New Roman
>ruins all footnotes
>alignment issues
Rather use Wordpad.

>sluggish

it literally isn't

Nice botnet, op

Microsoft intentionally changes the way Word encodes things from generation to generation counting on you never updating LO and having it fuck up reading a file in their newest format.

What is wrong with it?

So my Statement remains true.
QED

>using office 2007 since 2007
>0 problems and gets the job done

I've been using Office XP since 2001 and have never had any issues either. With a compatibility pack or converter for pptx, docx, etc you still get all the functionality you'd ever need.

What? Word opens up instantly and works flawlessly. Oh right this is Cred Forums where SSDs are a "meme".

>tfw feels good to be using Word 2003 via Wine

Office 2010 is the last good Office, just like how Windows 7 is the last good Windows. Both still work perfectly and can be legally obtained at low prices.

grey rectangles everywhere

I love Office 2010. Word 14 is absolutely top tier

>all those features nobody cares about nor needs.

But nothing slows down or lags. Office 2010 is probably Microsoft's most perfect bundled Office to date. It's beats out telemetry driven shit like 2013 and especially 2016.

Office 2010 and previous versions:
>Cannot change part of a merged cell.
Office 2013 and later versions:
>We can't do that to a merged cell.

Nothing slows down or lags in Word 2003. And it has just as many (if not more) useful features.

It is blatantly obvious what each one means, so it is functional. If you are saying it looks old and that warrants buying MO then I won't stop you.

I use both 2003 and 2010 but I still prefer the latter, mainly because it's no longer 2002 anymore.

2003 is the best classic MS Office and 2010 is the best modern MS Office.

>im not some sperg
good one mate

read the pasted text in the picture, not the interface ya dip, it has grey rectangles everywhere (im being hyperbolic, but you get it)

Grey rectangles are protected spaces. It means that there won't be a line-break between those words. What exactly is wrong with that?

>all those features nobody cares about nor needs
maybe you should stick to WordPad, mate

you misspelled abiword

It all went wrong after Office 2003.

I mostly use Google Docs now. It's shit but it's more out of habit and convenience than anything.

>Try to make a timeline
>Can't go beyond 1890 or some shit
>There's a option to change it to something other than Gregorian, but it's the only one on the fucking list

They can't fucking create a good interface.

It looks like Word 2003. And I like it. That interface was so much better.

Since your lack of reply I take it. You were complaining about a feature you didn't know existed and based your opinion that it's shit solely on that.
If LibreOffice is too advanced for you, you probably should stick to the newest Word.

Ribbon is objectively superior as soon as you actually have to use any features besides check spelling and word count. Same thing for Excel.

Everyone who says the Office suite sucks doesn't need any of the functionality. If you want to see trash, use Excel on OS X and watch it break every other hour.

what the fuck are you talking about

word 2016 is great

word has been going downhill since 2003, like most macroshit products.

Use OpenOffice - Calc ... when needed. Anything else is in LaTeX. It's comfy.

Cant be worse then good old Mac Word 2004.

>select until there are none left captcha on 550 Mhz

All these responses and nobody straight up said network effects

I am disappointed

It's not network effects, it's literally some of the best, well-made software on the planet.