What does Cred Forums think about CS in the high school curriculum...

What does Cred Forums think about CS in the high school curriculum? Will it train a generation of computer literates or is it a Hebrew ploy to deflate programmer salaries?

In my Highschool last year (Graduated) all you learned was literally just fucking Javascript. I'm not joking.

I'm an old man, well, middle aged but they've been pushing this shit since the early 1980s when I was in school. If someone is going to be a programmer, or coder, or codemonkey, or whatever the fuck they're calling it this week then they will regardless. If they're not going to then they won't, regardless. Back in my day you learned some hello world level shit in BASIC or Pascal if you were lucky. If you wanted to learn C you're on your own fuckstick. If you're interested in it then learn, and do, etc.. There are some really good introductory programming classes online for free. People that find it interesting will learn, people that find it uninteresting won't.

Haha das crazy man like why they having us do this and not coding games

2000 as opposed to what? 1900?

I took AP CS back in 2011/2012. I had taken a number of computing-related classes (Alice, Scratch, those sorts of things) beforehand.

I tell you what, AP CS is the first rigorous programming class that anyone in the public school system will ever take.

It has value, but I think the focus on Java and OOP is a little too strong.
We learned Java.

To be blunt that's one of the thing employers really want everyone to know or some shit like that

After all the backend's usually Java or C# or PHP or Python or Ruby, sometimes some weird shit, but the frontend will ALWAYS be JavaShit

Those who can't into coding still won't into coding.

CS should be taught at the elementary/middle school level. There is no excuse in the modern world for not knowing how the single most important device in your life works.

I learned c++ in AP CS during school in 2001, loved it.

Couldn't you make the same argument in the 18th century that every child should understand the inner workings of a steam engine?

THEY DID. Steam engines aren't exactly complex devices, and child labor was often employed.

Not every child has several steam engines

>half the class spent talking about diversity
>two weeks spent on copyright industry indoctrination including why ad blocking is literally theft

All I do at work is JavaScript. I earn $130k a year, but I also live in Silicon Valley.

>one week spent teaching why encryption without backdoors only exists to protect ISIS and child rapists.

speak for yourself poorfag

Thanks, Obama.

>what is specialization

What you seem to want to teach kids is IT, not CS.

wtf i love obama now

I'm taking AP CS right now. We're just watching Khan Academy videos and doing their curriculum, pretty lame.
Some dude from the industry is supposed to come our class once a week and help us since my teacher knows jack shit about Javascript.
I had to take Intro to CS the year prior which is like Scratch, some really basic drag & dropping UI.
So, the CS program is a joke, at least on my shitty district.

The latter.
In the first place, it's further driving the meme that code monkeying = CS, which already makes it hard enough to tell if someone really knows CS or if they know fucking nothing.

We'll have a generation capable of using Microsoft Office. The whole thing, like even doing excel formulas!

Just offload the kids to local community colleges, they'll learn enough to either keep going on their own or in 'real' education or get discouraged. Last thing you want is the even more incompetent high school instructors giving a buncha these dweebs false confidence.

Wait comp sci wasn't in your guys high school? Va best schools NA.

CS class at HS last year was Scratch, App Inventor 2, and Python. All really basic stuff