/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Please, never buy generic or bad PSU. They will fuck your PC, and your life.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RVp19ScCl_M
pcpartpicker.com/list/X3sh7h
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xxbPFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/DVbQPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/sHmC8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/NQvKqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/Wp74pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/DwRVFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/pMqHWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/JBQdbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/pG3RVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/sDw3wV
pcpartpicker.com/list/gFqdbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/bGR4pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/9fckf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/H8DwYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/BFR4pb
cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm4213a&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming
amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf
pcpartpicker.com/list/946Bqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/G2QyWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/crrcxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/7TH4pb
i.4cdn.org/g/1474761731745.jpg
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228142
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UM3102206
pcpartpicker.com/list/k2BrM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/RbPfd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/C2YWcc
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-2x-2-60GHz-8C-E5-2670-16GB-RAM-2x-1TB-HD-No-OS-/182281508858?hash=item2a70d317fa:g:Hl0AAOSwzaJX5XIx
pcpartpicker.com/list/Jhmgnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/kQWrM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/VGyxgL
gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3185#ov
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zzKcxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/hb22xY
pcpartpicker.com/b/PpyfrH
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dtCDjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/698jnn
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZGbwYr
youtube.com/watch?v=CXXSrjWpFD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

EU here.

I need a good motherboard for the Intel Skylake CPU series. I'm planning to overclock CPU and RAM if necessary in the future. Now i'm sticking with a i5 6600k and a GTX 1060 6GB for gaming, but I don't know what Z170 pick.

My budget is €200

>Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA

Building a gaming rig in China.
Gsync/Freesync monitors are +50% here. Regular monitors are the same price as USA.

Are sync'd monitors only built in USA factories?

>china
You can access Cred Forums from big red?

Anyone have any experiences/reviews from ordering on Jet.com?

Thinking about grabbing a GPU from it.

>Asus M5a97 Le R2.0
Will it have the cooler support pieces inside the box?

I think that most AMD motherboards come with those.

>You can access Cred Forums from big red?
Access is easy, it's not blocked (usually, there were a few weeks last year where it was blocked in some cities). Google's captcha is blocked so you Cred Forums pass or vpn. I do both.

I posted a thread last year about their firewall and the ways it was fucking with my vpn. These days they seem to leave vpns alone a bit but that might just be my city or isp. The firewall is really patchwork and changes a lot over time.

Confirmation:
youtube.com/watch?v=RVp19ScCl_M

It can be used on North Korea. But the user that used was killed.

Is Kabylake going to blow the tits off a 6700K?

Short answer: No
Long answer: Does a bear employ fifteen humans to clear an area of a forest large enough so it can take a shit in the woods without technically shitting in the woods?

I had a shit 500 w Silverstone that started making noise after 6 month so I bought a 750 w Antec
and the Atntec burnt out my board instantly
Antec didn't give a fuck and it took them 7 month to get me a new one. probably because they lost the rma. first they told they were gonna fix it , but they probably lost that too.
fuck Antec

pcpartpicker.com/list/X3sh7h
Build I'm doing for my sister
Already have the ram and GPU, also got a little wireless USB thingy for wifi
Thinking about a compact keyboard/mouse wireless combo and maybe Windows 8.1 with a touchscreen monitor
But those will come later, don't feel like dropping 120$ on Windows right now if I can get good frames in Minecraft and runescape on Linux Mint
Issue is Java, I've never gotten Java to work right on linux

get her a battery charger and extra batteries too
my mouse lasts about a week
it's pain in the ass

I have a Powerbook G3 (Wallstreet) that I think needs a new PRAM battery. It starts up and shows the happy Mac icon and that's it.

Is it possible to install a raspberry pi into it? That way I have a monitor and keyboard already. End goal is to have a hackering on the deepwebz with a .onion site.

>Issue is Java, I've never gotten Java to work right on linux
Weird, I've basically never had a problem with it.

Either OpenJava or Sun Java, both always worked fine, just pick one and stick with it.

Minecraft sometimes had issues for me under OpenJava, I had more luck with official Java.

I'm kinda leaning toward a 1070, does anyone know if it'll drop in prince sometime soon or should I drop the 400$ on it?

I can really only think of the release of the 1080ti that would make them drop the 1070's price, but that's sometime this year

What do you guys think of the 1060 mini itx 3gb

3GB weak

should i invest $60 for 6gb?

Yes
Youre at 1080 or 1440p?

Is the 6700k going to have some sort of variation soon or what the z170 memeset seems pretty useless

For upgradability it is, but it's cheaper than x99.

They might make a kaby lake version of it.

anything like this for building servers?

>i either pick a meme ddr4 motherboard with shitty cpus
>or mobo for a quality 4350 or higher but it only has ddr capability

PLEASE

FIX

THIS

AMD/INTEL FUCK

>shitty cpus
Don't be mad because you can't afford new things.

>6700K
>Good

Nigger a 110$ dual core outperforms it.
>m-m-m-m-m-uh cores

Again.
CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS.

Ok retard, prove it.

which dual core ? what benchmark ?

credit cards protect you from fraud retard, any unathorized charges (or products never showing up ) get refunded to you.

Be a man and learn some personal finance shit.

I got a free Windows 10 key after accidentally fucking up and using my W7 key to activate a temporary W10 install by talking with microsoft tech support.

(you)

wow maybe theyll shoot you in the shin too

That's not even...

Know what, fuck it.
See if I can go scour on the backpages of the internet for people who ordered electronics from Jet.com.

That's all I wanted to know, just experiences with Jet fucking dot com.

Christ

I'm sorry man this thread is just 13 year olds

Some nights this thread is amazing, full of knowledgeable and mature people. Others it's like this. Fridays nights seem to be a bad night for some reason. Anyhow, I got nothing. Might be worth it to just eat the extra costs and buy from a reputable site.

Thanks guys.

I thought this shit would take days to find, and funny thing is, I'm finding all the info on reddit.

Step it the fuck up Cred Forums, damn.

Looking at a ZOTAC AMP 1060 at 243 bucks.
Original MSRP is like 280 or so.

Bretty gud deal, free shipping too.
Won't get it now, maybe later when I build my PC tomorrow, if the old GPU shits out on me, THEN I'll get it.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xxbPFd

Thinking about getting an ssd for bootdrive but is it a meme? Im in Canada.

Not a meme.
If you look it up, SSD's boot shit way faster than HDDs.
It's just picking the right one out.
Running a Samsung 750 EVO here soon, 120 gig.

Still looking for criticism:

I think that CPU cooler is too large for that case.

It's not.

The Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero looks like a solid choice for that budget.

>Purpose
3D modeling, Game Development, and video games
>Budget
Hoping to drop around $2k after everything. I also know some of these can be found cheaper elsewhere but I just wanted to get them all in one picture easier.
>improvements
Really just wondering if there's any fine-tuning I could do to avoid needing upgrades in the immediate future

On a slightly unrelated note to this, I've been thinking about using some CRT monitors with this build as well, any advice on that end?

>ITX mobo
>no ITX case
>gaming mobo
>750W overkill PSU
Just don't.

>3D modeling, Game Development, and video games
>overkill PSU

>single 1070
>i7-6700K
>750W
Yes, that's an overkill.

Should I bump it down to a 500W? Like says I figured I'd be running it in high power pretty often

Are there ATX cases that don't waste 50+% of the space with useless shit? (I.e. CD bay)

If you're paranoid or want room for eventual upgrades, get 650W, otherwise less is just as fine.

Your heatsink doesn't look... right and clean your computer you filthy savage.

What's wrong with it?

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xxbPFd
meme for desktops
requirement for laptops

In the 1st puc it looks like your heatsink is tilted a little sideways.

One of my ram sticks died on me, what ram ddr4 ram will be best? I only need 8 gigs

You should take a look at mATX cases bro. ATX is wasted space by design.

Don't want to buy a new motherboard.

>Are there ATX cases that don't waste 50+% of the space with useless shit? (I.e. CD bay)
The last OP pic had a lot of empty space in it...

memes aside
Which is the best choice for 1080p gaming (as future proof as possible) with an intel i5 6500 cpu?
rx 480 8gb or gtx1060 6gb?

Anyone know what graphics card I can buy to replace my 7870 but won't be a waste of money with regard to the rest of the existing hardware.
The 7870 has served me well, but it's beginning to artefact and lock up intermittently.

I don't want to buy a new pc just yet, so I'd prefer to just replace the one component, but if there's no hope, what do you suggest?

Both are good choices for 1080p gaymin right now. In DX11 the 1060 has the advantage most of the time, up to ten percent fps more. That might change with wider adoption of DX12 and Vulkan, which allow the 480 to perform on or above the level of the 1060. DX12 and Vulkan games are in the minority right now, however it still means that the 480 will likely age better than the 1060, assuming DX12 / Vulkan adoption picks up speed and also because the 6GB of the 1060 might become tight in the future.
That being said, the idea of buying a future proof midrange card is questionable. Unless you know that you will be stuck with that card for a long time, in which case the 480 might make the most sense, I'd go for what's best right now, which is the 1060. Or go for whatever's cheaper. Just stay away from the 3GB 1060, it's trash.

I will be happy if my card is solid for ~3 years without many significant compromises. I know a change will be inevitable by that time. Maybe I'll end up to a 480 even though I hate its power consumption and temps. Thanks for elaborating!

RX460 or GTX950

The onboard graphics of one of my computers stopped working. What is a cheap gpu I can buy just to have something on the screen?

The computer's only use is browsing the internet and editing documents.

doggo in advance.

The computer runs Linux btw.

GT 730 or something

ATI 5450 is my goto GPU for Facebook machines.

Fuck. It's so cheap

Is that with or without the 15%?

without

Here's a better model for $10 more too

I'm building a gaming pc with a budget but not getting ridiculous.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sHmC8K
Total: $1714.38

I haven't decided on a mobo, that one was just a placeholder until I could work out what was worth getting.
Any advice on the GPU would be appreciated.

Why'd you go for a 6800k and then a 1070?

>buy computer from craigslist like 4 years ago for 200$
>checking its parts/specs to see what I can upgrade to today
>ends up the CPU is STILL 120$, and the highest-tier of the socket is 1000$

what the fuck is this? Justify this shit. This cpu runs ar a minimum of 62C too, what a joke lol

>what is eol

then... shouldn't it be cheaper?

Seemed like natural price points. 6850k is $200 more. 1080 is $200 more.

What would you suggest?

>gaming PC for 1700$
>wasting money on i7-6800K instead a 1080
Fug nigga wat u doin..

You should go with a 6700k or 6600k and get a 1080. You get so much more out of a 1080.

No, that's sadly not how eol works. Limited supply will always equal higher prices. There's almost always a market.

He likes to spend 150$ extra a part for gaudy horseshit

There's cheaper versions of every single component you have that also works better. the 6800k is a retarded choice and shows you might actually have a mental impairment
>spending 420$ on a junk CPU then going for a 1070

Okay faggot just buy a fucking 1080 and a 6700K, do you think you're smarter than everyone else who builds pcs? why are you trying to make a build of random stupid shit? why did you get ripmeme shit 16gb of ram for 90$? are you an idiot?

just fuck you man

LITERALLY HOVERING OVER THE FUCKING BUY BUTTON

TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG OTHER THAN THE COOLER:

80$ of worthless extra fans to help out your underpowered D15? Do you like to throw away money on power usage?

I'd also get an evga 1080 to save a little bit of money with nothing changed

also

>micro

>170$ for poo fans
No, user.

The more I look at this the more confused I am. So you already have a micro case, yet you're buying a D15? Then a bunch of D14s? You are aware a single D14 would be enough? That a single D15 is plenty? What the fuck are you going to do with all those fans? You can hardly even fit them in there with that case and part choice.

Are you trolling me?

How this build. I plan to use it for light gaming along with school work.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NQvKqk

Overall ok, but see if you can get a RX460/470 or GTX950 instead of the 750ti meme card and maybe you want to upgrade to a 24" monitor.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DVbQPs
>$90 on poo fans

This is the only instance where I'd recommend an AMD card over an Nvidia one. The 750 Ti is showing its age, you'll want to step up to an RX 460.

What's wrong with the fans? Is it overkill? Should I just get one in the front instead?

>You get so much more out of a 1080
I'm not doing 4k, I can wait a few years for it to be a viable thing and go with 1440p for now. Which I THINK the1070 can do at max, right?

CPUs aren't as easy to upgrade though and they're not dropping in price as quickly as cards, so I figure that I'll buy one that will last.

>There's cheaper versions of every single component you have that also works better
Can you give me examples of where I should swap stuff out for cheaper, better ones?

>why did you get ripmeme shit 16gb of ram for 90$?
Because I can match it with more 16gb sticks later when 16gb isn't enough anymore, that day will come eventually and I won't have to throw anything out. It's also only about $5 more than 2x8. I guess I could go 2x8 and just stick more 2x8s in because 64gb is going to be enough for longer than the mobo will last.

My work can use a lot of ram though, no amount of ram would actually be wasted in my build.

Is this a relatively future-proof setup? It's got all the important memes like z170 and drr4meme capability for the near future

pcpartpicker.com/list/Wp74pb
This should be a great build for your purpose and budget. If you can spare like 20$ i recommend you get a cooler as well, stock Intel ones sound like a starting jet under load.

It's an overkill for the overkill. The only situation i'd spend 170$ on Noctua fans is when 1. i need 100% reliability and performance under any circumstance or 2. i don't care about money.
Get cheaper heatsink, cheaper fans and only two of them.

What cooler then?

Thanks, I'll check those parts out.

If you have size/money
D 1 5

If not go for the hyper 212 or cryorig

If you buy corsair or liquid cooling kill yourself

Meme Master Hyper 212 EVO, but stock cooler is fine, it's simply not a very pleasant experience.
pcpartpicker.com/list/DwRVFd

what's the best budget gpu right now? i'm thinking of getting the 4gb rx 480 because the 3gb 1060 is a meme and the 6gb version is +100€ in my country

Anyone?

That's not what bait looks like in this thread.

Try putting a liquid cooler on a baseline APU and pair it with a titanX.

1060 6G >= RX480 8G > RX470 8G = RX480 4G > RX460 >>>>>> dogshit >>>>>> 1060 3G

Add more cooler masters

Redpill me on the 1070, or should I just pony up the extra 200$ for a 1080?

Is there a good middle ground between the Hyper 212 Evo and the D15 then? Whatever benchmarks I find, the 212 doesn't hold up all that well if you exclude the price from the equation.

I recently made some hardware changes and now I need to transfer a HUGE folder from a partition to another so I can nuke the empty one, both are on the same HDD, any good open-source file transfer software? I'm on Windows btw.

yes it's called the d14

honestly if you're using your computer all day every day the money you save on efficiency over time is more than worth the extra cost, especially in the case of cooling/psus

Just go with the D15 if you have the money because it will run light and cool all the time, and I highly doubt you're going to find the cooling ability of your fan is what's holding you up, the d14/15 will just cool anything for a long time anyway

There's only around 10 bucks difference between the D14 and D15 though.

Also, how's this then?

pcpartpicker.com/list/pMqHWX

90% of all cooling solutions are between the 212 EVO and the D15. The EVO is a good budget solution while the D15 is a top solution for a premium price.
Anyways, you should be fine with stock or EVO, the stock is just.. well.. loud and you shouldn't put a 50-60$ fan on a budget build.
If you absolutely want a better cooler, go for Noctua NH-U12/14S. The heatsink is compact, you get a top 12 or 14 Noctua fan and the excellent NH-T1 thermal compound is included. But considering you buy a 600$ PC, get an EVO.

Hence why I said. There's not a 40$ cooler that's worth buying. Either you get the cheap meme or you pay money for the quality one

>be me
>2015
>tax returns came in
>$600 to build a PC
>limited window to buy PC parts, since the money is in the main account
>fall for the dual core is trash meme
>end up ordering AMD FX-4200, Gigabyte GA-LMT78-USB3, 8GB 1666mhz RAM, and an MSI R9 280 3GB
>mostly play RPGs
>have a massive bottleneck because weak as fuck CPU and fairly strong GPU
>no money to upgrade
>deal with it for a year and a half

Kill me

Is there a release date for kaby lake yet?
Or should i just buy a skylake and stop being a waitfag?

I'm looking for a good fan controller. I don't really care if it has crazy watts per channel, just at least 4 channel and sliders or knobs, not touch screen
The other thing is it needs to be shallow, like the bitfenix recon, not the whole length of the 5.25 bay
Any ideas lads? The cheaper the better

Alright so I made my build a bit more sensible in terms of fans and upgraded to an i7

pcpartpicker.com/list/JBQdbj

Any suggestions?

?

pcpartpicker.com/list/pG3RVY

Just a few tweaks. More bandwidth never hurt anyone, and I shaved a few bucks off more unimportant things and upped the ante on the GPU. EVGA Classified is the best you can get. The Classified 980Ti still beats the regular 1080 in performance. You pay extra, but you remain on top (or second best at the very least) through two gens. Changed the case simply because I love NZXT.

Eh I'm not going with the EVO. I can't really find any favorable reviews when compared to for example the U12S.

Don't need an extra HDD.

Don't need the extra PSU wattage either.

Also the EVGA is almost 100 bucks more expensive here.

Unless you're going to be overclocking the hell out of your i7, it's not going make a difference. Then again, what's the point of having an i7 if not to OC it as much as possible?

>i7 and 1080 on 650w
That's about stupid

>EVGA even more expensive
Yeah, I wouldn't fuck with it then. MSI makes great cards too

Buildin' PC. one of the case wires caught the edge and the HDD LED popped out.
White wire.
Anyone know how to get it back inside?

I could go with the 550w and still have more than plenty.

Got my new r9 fury from them. Card is solid. Brother tends to buy bulk snacks and says everything is fine. I think they're trying to compete with Amazon.

Wait, because Kaby Lake and Zen are coming out at around the same time. I'm expecting higher clockspeeds on Kaby compared to Skylake. Doesn't sound like you really need to upgrade, but if you do, Kaby is supposed to be on 1151, so you could get the new platform now with a cheap CPU and upgrade later

>LEDs
Really don't what you're trying to say. Did the wire break or did the LED just get pullout out of its slot?

m8, your socket is AM3+, just put a used 6350 ($70) in the socket (make sure it comes with cooler or buy yourself one). The 6350 is a great CPU for that board. The clockspeed gives you a massive single core boost.

Nah, it got caught on the edge of the case, and the wire popped out of the black socket.

The other wire is still in.

Also, there's a metal prong in front of the old style keyboard socket, do I just remove that?

>Nah, it got caught on the edge of the case, and the wire popped out of the black socket.
Still having some trouble understanding you m8, but if the wire simply came out of the connection on the mobo, plug it pack in. Should either be markings on the mobo next to the connection or you'll have to consult your mobo's manual

Post pics if you really want help

dont have my phone at the moment, but I'll describe it in more detail-

Case is on it's side, case wires are flipped over.
As I pull the wires over to move them, the HDD LED black connector (connector also says HDD LED) gets caught on the edge. The white wire stuck inside the connector gets pulled out, but the red one stays in.

Mobo isn't installed, this is all the wire I'm talking about here.

It's the same socket. Intel canned tick-tock, so we'll see 2018's Intel CPU on 1151 as well

first time building a PC, how is this if I don't plan on overclocking

pcpartpicker.com/list/sDw3wV

Save yourself some money and get a H170 mobo.

true

/rsg/ here

the current client (NXT client) doesn't run on java

i'm not sure that there is a linux version for it though

Probably have to resolder the connection between the wire and the LED. Not a big deal though. Honestly I don't even have any indicator lights plugged in since my PC runs all night

Drop to i5-6500, it'll save you lots of money for 0.1Ghz
Also you could use a H100 mobo if you never plan to mGPU (like SLI, but as you may or may not know the 1060 cannot SLI)

thanks, managed to save some money

Ah.
Alright, thanks.

Anyways, discovering I didn't do enough of my HW, as my 450 watt EVGA PSU isn't enough for the old dinosaur that is my 560.

Ha ha, time for RX-480 8GB!

HALP!

Looking to build a gayman machine.

Looking for recs. Noise is a big concern.

budget is 2k usd

Rec me a 27 inch monitor in either 1080p or 1440p for general use, no gayman 144hz monitors needed. ips is a must.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gFqdbj

>450 watt EVGA PSU isn't enough for the old dinosaur that is my 560
It's fine, what's the problem?

I've been building a budget gaming pc and found a gigabyte 480 4g for 200 dollars, should I pull the trigger or cough up the extra 40 for a 8g?

I'd say 4GB but you MIGHT have some nice texture options at 8

Never actually thought about doing that before. Think I will. It'll be a while before I can afford the Zen upgrade anyway, considering I don't have a job yet

pcpartpicker.com/list/bGR4pb

Anyway I can cut this closer to 1000 dollars without sacraficing anything great?

>The Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case supports video cards up to 515mm long, but video cards over 257mm may block drive bays. Since the Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card is 298mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

wat do?

Some drive bays won't be usable.

If you're capable of coughing up a bit more money, the EVGA 1060 SC is even better than a 480. If you're set on it though, I'd definitely go 8GB. Textures very rarely impact performance unless you don't have enough VRAM (not an issue with 6+GB), or you have a terrible CPU.

On a related note, where's a good place to look for used PC parts? Amazon and Ebay have mediocre discounts vs new

>i7
>480
nigga what are you doing??

560 is 2 6pin.
EVGA only has 6+2

Also, problem with my +20 power pin connector to the mobo, it's not clipping on to the lips on the connector of the mobo, there's still a small gap.
Is that normal?

Check around on newegg Open Box items, craigslist, etc.

Or just head to your local shop downtown.

That build is just.. stupid.

Thanks for telling me why it is wrong, I appreciate ALL OF THE HELP YOU HAVE GIVEN ME.

buy the Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass and be done with it

Biggest problem, your RX480 will bottleneck your i7.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9fckf8

Not 100% sure of the overclocking capabilities of that mobo. You should look into that. It does support Crossfire though, and that case is damn good too

Thanks user

I'm so off my shit I didn't even notice that
Unless you're playing ARMA 3, doing video editing, or planning on eventually doing Crossfire, it's overkill.

I plan to fall for the "muh future proof" meme.

Mostly got the i7 for the hyperthreading though

there is no gpu atm that doesn´t bottleneck a good cpu so shut up with that argument.

your build is retarded
>i7
get i5
>cpucooler
there are better ones for the same price for example c7
>z170
do you want to Overclock you cpu? if no get a h170 or b150 board
>gpu
its ok but with the money you save on the cpu alone if you get a i5 you can get a better gpu like like a 1070
>power supply
its fucking trash, why do people cheap out on the most important part of their computers??
spent like 20-30$ more on a good psu and bedone with it, SeaSonic a quality builder or Evga gold is ok too

Hyper threading isn't gonna do you a damn thing in gaming if you're not using Win10. Only DX12 supports it. Still, if you're playing CPU intensive games, it's not a bad idea to get an i7. Extra threads are always useful

I have a 7970ghz edition. Would it be worth buying another one, or a 280x, to run in Crossfire?

I appreciate the suggestions, I would personally prefer the i7 for what I plan to do with it, but I can wait for a next time.

How does this look? Also, what are your opinions on Nvidia, I was planning to go AMD, and wait for the Rx 490, i put the 480 as a place holder.

why does everyone get an 850 evo instead of an 850 pro? Don't the pros last like twice as long?

Still got problems with this 24 pin power connector on my Mobo, won't clip on it.
It'll go all the way in, but that small clip rests on the lip instead of being clipped on.

And no pics, can't get my phone in there.

Years ago at my work place I asked the IT department if I could have a Windows 7 licence for my new PC. Ive been using it ever since whenever I wanted a fresh install, got a new SSD, etc.

But now Ive taken the free upgrade to Win 10, will the same key work when I try installing with a Win 10 ISO? Or is there a way to find a key that's associated with my upgraded version of Win 10?

Basically - upgraded to Win 10. Getting new PC. Can I use my Win 7 licence key to activate Win 10?

Samefag, heres the alternative.

EVGA 1060 SC is more powerful than the regular 1060 which is stronger than a 480. Downside is only one fan. You could always just go MSI 1060. EVGA may be the king of Nvidia cards, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with MSI.

In real time tests, the 1060 is, on average, 15% faster than the 480 on DX9 and DX11 games, and 1% slower on DX12

What could be a good build for cost/power? I want to run games like DS3 or FO4, at least like 30-40 fps, I don't care for 200 fps meme stuff. I tried asking about buying a prebuilt on the /sqt/ and got bombarded by artists yelling at me for not making my own.

Budget?

>$700 if possible.

Are there any amd cpus that are around the power of an i3 6100 but cheaper?

Sorry, unnecessary arrow

pcpartpicker.com/list/H8DwYr

r8 my build so far

any recommended 4tb hard drives?

going with a sandisk ssd

hey, please rate, did i fuck up monstrously? any advice?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BFR4pb

NCIX and superbiiz are going to charge you some nice shipping there.
OutletPC does too, but it's a bit less.

Check out B&H, once you go over a certain price, it's free shipping or so.

Do you want i5 or is i3 ok?

If you buy an unlocked CPU and Z170 mobo you should invest in a cooler with OC capabilities, the FreezerPro will turn your computer into a FrierPro™.
And see if you can get 3000 RAM for that price.

also need a good monitor

alright thanks, it was just to get an idea anyway

cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm4213a&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming

I know the general idea here is "building your own pc is easy, if you don't do it your wrong" but I wanted to know if someone could take a look at the parts list here for this one and give any suggestions on it (since nearly all the parts are changeable). It's pretty much that the pc is built from scratch, just by a service. I figured it could even be could to compare he build here.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could take a look here and provide some input.

Ok, I'll answer.

Seems like you have a lot of money to spend. In that case, you really do want a >60Hz Freesync monitor that can use LFC amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf
>Automatically enabled on all FreeSync ready monitors where max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh
Check Freesync range on a monitor.

The 480 is usually considered a 1080p card.

Either get a K (unlocked) CPU or get an i5 6500. If you get a high Hz monitor, get the unlocked i5 6600K and overclock. If you stick with 60Hz monitor, just get the i5 6500 and drop to a H170 or H110 mobo (Z170 is for overclockers) and use the stock CPU fan, no need for a cooler.

You're spending too much on your SSD. Drop it down 250GB and pair it with a HDD.

>unlocked CPU
>z170 mobo
>212 EVO
Get a decent cooler or drop to non K and H170.
>3400 RAM
Do you really need this? 3000 RAM is cheaper.
>any recommended 4tb hard drives?
Aren't 4TB drives the least reliable regardless of the brand or do i confuse them with 3TB drives?

That is a terrible computer. I really don't think you know what you're doing. Need to read up.

Drop down to 3000MHz RAM
Get a cheaper Z170 mobo

Get a 144Hz 1440p G-sync monitor

Buying prebuilts like this means you're overpaying for basically everything.

Don't be lazy.

Get an SSD and 3000MHz RAM

An 8350 will be stronger in heavily multithreaded applications, but no, not really. i3 6100 is king of entry level CPUs for AAA games.

here
updated, same ssd as last time, still looking for tweaks and advice

pcpartpicker.com/list/946Bqk
might help if i actually put it in my post, huh

If you're buying a K CPU, at least get a Z170 so that you can overclock if you want. And get 3000MHz RAM if you get a Z170

Just testing the waters here, not to serious about buying a desktop just yet, but I have some questions.
-----
What is the difference between a miniITX and a microATX? does one or the other have worse cooling?
How does power supply and CPU cooler price affect quality. Is there anything I should look for in those objects?
What variables affect the number of USB ports I'd have on my build?
------
Is a budget of $400 too little for a mid to high-end i5 build?

That's questionable. ATX boards sometimes have better heatsinks for onboard components and often have better expandability. If nothing else, ATX cases offer much better expandability than some like what you have pictured.

Lurk more, start with logicalincrements.com

>I would personally prefer the i7 for what I plan to do with it
Which is?

>i7-6700K
>H110 mobo
I can already see you spamming this thread with "lol why i cannot oc my build lol u guise trolled me its not my fault".
If you can't do simple things like read the fucking OP or just use google, you should buy a prebuild.

>Is a budget of $400 too little for a mid to high-end i5 build?
This nigga right there... TOPKEK

updated

any additional stuff or Accessories to buy?

Repost for advice

I don't know mate... but maybe you should add some, you know.. RAM to it?

Personally I would get a 250GB SSD
No RAM/10
No HDDs/10
Don't forget to overclock

That computer isn't worth nearly 500. Even for a very basic self built pc you could probably squeeze in a i3 and something like a 950 gpu or something similar. I built a garbage pc four years ago with a 560ti and amd 965 cpu and I'd rather that old hunk of junk over what you've listed.

Take a look at the pastebins and links in the fist post, Logical increments is a good reference to what you can afford for around that price range, though what you may be able to afford can be different. honestly, from what I've seen in the prices for customization, You're going to be paying 700-800 for a may be 500 dollar pc.

I understand the base is bad. That was why I was asking about changes that could be made on the site to make it better.

>Is a budget of $400 too little for a mid to high-end i5 build?

Bad for a i5
Good for an i3

Little over 450, but some of the parts in there like the mobo and the case I'm using right now.

Do note that the case is somewhat hellish when it comes to cable management.

pcpartpicker.com/list/G2QyWX

thx!

>cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm4213a&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming
That thing is utter trash. If you want a budget gaming PC for 500 or less, your only option is to build one yourself.

Is this where we can post guts?
>cpu fx 8320
>gpu gtx 780
>ram 8 gigs 1600
>hard drives 500 gig 1 tb and 60 gig (soon to be 1 tb as well)
>case define r5

They are going to charge you 1500 for anything remotely good. Like I said, fucking browse logicalincrements.

I'd never recommend anything less than a 470. For an extra 40-60 dollars you can get a great card instead of a shitty one, and you're already paying almost $150 for a shitty one.

Nice cable management, but that CPU is a little lackluster if you bought it within the last year.

I have not alot of this is 2-3 years old almost time for an upgrade newest thing is actually the case

cost of the build is around 1884,38$ if you buy all the parts from Sweden

Also why is your cooler blowing hot air on your GPU? If that is the 212 Evo (looks kinda like it) you can install the cooler in any orientation for an AM3+ socket. Should have pointed the cooler at the exhaust fan on the case

Ill have to swap it around then didnt know i could put it anyway but that to be honset about time the change thermal paste anyway

Could I ask for a suggested build? I made a post earlier about one for ~700 if possible.

logicalincrements.com

Drop the fucking Sandisk trash get a Samsung SSD they are the best.
Don´t by asus gpus their costumer support is trash tier. Mobo is fine cus they are good quality and I never saw one fail. Also why not choose a better color for the phantek cpufan`they produce its in orange/red/blue and whiite i think and they also produce fitting casefans for it.

Alright, so for my 600 dollar build I've spotted some cheap gpus at a local spot.

I can either get:
480rx 4g 200.
480rx 8g 240.
1060 6g 225.

The buddy I called who works down there told me their non reference but wasn't sure of the brand (he's a fucking stoner so I'm not surprised). I'm thinking of picking up the 1060, are there any shitty brands I should avoid if it turns out to be that type?

The 1060 is the best deal at those prices. Personally I'd say warranty makes the biggest difference. Try to get 3yr

This build seems pretty rough but I need some opinions on the build, is there anywhere i can save money? Be brutal if you can

Decent build but fuck Win10

pcpartpicker.com/list/crrcxY

There ya go. Replace the CPU in a year or two with a solid i5 and you're golden. This i3 is far and away the king of budget CPUs though. You don't need to upgrade it unless you're a performance or graphics whore

Sorry for the retardation on my part, I fixed it.
pcpartpicker.com/list/7TH4pb

Never buy AMD

until ZEN comes out.

Then buy it if it's not shitty.

i.4cdn.org/g/1474761731745.jpg
What does that black box at the bottom do?

Looks like it's covering the power supply man.

Just for aesthetics?

Both aesthetics, and IMO, looks like it keeps things organized.

Any suggestions for a ssd+HD combo for 100 dollars?

what are some good smaller (itx/matx) cases?

and what's the deal with these XBOXHUEG itx cubes that are bigger than my pos ancient atx case in every dimension except for height?

i swear to god cases were tiny in the 90s and then they kept on getting bigger and bigger for some reason, even for nominally atx cases. as i've used 0 non-vidya expansion card now for the last 12 years, i think it's time to downsize to a smaller case for my next build in the indefinite future.

What is your monitors resolution and refresh rate?
Get 3000MHz RAM if you're staying with a z170 mobo

Mobo should be H110 or H170
No CPU cooler needed; stock will be fine
Drop to 3000MHz RAM

If you're building a decent gaming rig right now, AMD CPUs and APUs aren't competitive. AMD GPUs are fine though as long as the prices aren't inflated by a lack of supply.

What's your monitor's refresh rate and resolution?
And why are you buying an i7?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228142
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UM3102206

>What's your monitor's refresh rate and resolution?
No monitor yet
>And why are you buying an i7?
PC is for 3D Modeling, Game Design, and video games

How's this build? Gotta work with Euro's so prices are fucked.

i5-6400 + rx 480

Looks fine as long as you're at 1440p or 1080p 144Hz. Otherwise the graphics card is overkill
I would swap to a HGST 2TB that costs about 50-60USD

Get an i5-6500 or i3 6100. Unless you're at 144Hz the i3 would be better

How do I add a custom part to my PC part picker list?

i3 over i5 even when this needs to play triple A games at 60fps for the next 3/4 years?

Just checking.

You'll be fine, AAA games are tied to consoles, which are running extremely weak CPUs (including PS4Pro). You can always upgrade later if you want. i5s aren't really that much better than i3s.. both have four threads. By the time you want to upgrade you'll probably want a new platform, but a used i7 for the 1151 socket will be cheap in 3-4 years. Even Kaby Lake will be on 1151, so you could even upgrade to that later.

pcpartpicker.com/list/k2BrM8
Rate my ITX build Cred Forums

Up to 550W

The 1080 will actually consume 300W and the 6700k will consume upwards of 150W, so you don't want to be under.

I changed the PSU to the 600 watt version, thanks.

I just want to say thank you to all the guys who help each other pick parts. I just finished buying all the parts for my pc and I've got a 1060 6g, a i3, a 250g ssd, 2tb hd, and a decent psu and motherboard all for 550$.

Thanks.

Post your PCpartpicker list if you've got one

How bad did I dun goof?

pcpartpicker.com/list/RbPfd6

Is there any way to make this better? ($580 is the hard budget)

pcpartpicker.com/list/C2YWcc

The SSD,and HD I got aren't listed so I picked the two most similar, though combined they only cost 90.

I managed to snag the 1060 for 220, the i3 for 98, the psu for 30, and the case for 30 , and the ram for 37. In total the price when I paid for every thing came to 558. The motherboard was probably my worst buy, but I'm not interested in overclocking anyway. If it all works out when I put it together I'll be a happy camper.

Going to be hard to use it without a hard drive or ssd.

already have one, i should of clarified that, whoops.

Pretty much a perfect build. I probably advised you previously. I'm trying to come up with example builds and that's close to one that I have.

Definitely drop to i3 6100 and get a 250GB SSD

I usually try to get fancier mobos. I went cheap for mine, and my overclocking options are very basic, and the mobo itself isn't fast enough to take full advantage of my GPU. I use a 280. It's not weak, but it's not exactly strong either. I don't know enough about motherboards to know how to determine what exactly makes one good or bad. I just throw money at it. I'll learn better once I get my A+ cert at least

>And no pics, can't get my phone in there.
Is your phone a football? I can't imagine why you can't get it into a PC case or even why you would need to in the first place.

Take pics if you want help, it's too hard to try and visualise your problem otherwise and you'll get bad advice if we try.

H110 - No CPU overclocking, no mGPU (Crossfire/SLI/DX12), 2 RAM slots
H170 - No CPU overclocking, mGPU, 4 RAM slots
Z170 - CPU overclocking, mGPU, 4 RAM slots

>tfw bought a case and a PSU last monday
>been waiting for them since then
>should be here tomorrow or the day after
I've been alternating between giddy and regret the whole week. Waiting has been such a bitch and I might have to return them anyways if my parts don't fit inside.

What is /pcbg/'s take on universal VGA waterblocks?

And if your Intel CPU doesn't have a K after it, it can't be overclocked, except through a loophole that you're probably not going to want to try.

Locked "non-K" CPU = H110 or H170
Unlocked "K" CPU = Z170

>Basically - upgraded to Win 10. Getting new PC. Can I use my Win 7 licence key to activate Win 10?
You probably have a new Win10 key, it might be tagged upgrade though and not work with a retail copy.

Your real question is "Does an upgrade key work with retail win10?"

Go research that.
Also, research how to pull a win10 key out of the OS, it should be possible somehow.

If you're going for water cooling then it's pointless not to go all the way in and get a full block. If that's too expensive then you shouldn't be looking at water coolers anyways.

if you had a bog standard win7 pro key, your upgraded windows 10 activation (i think the term might be "digital entitlement") is tied to the computer you activated windows 10 with.

if you have a different win7 key (that you haven't used to upgrade to win10), you can still use that to upgrade to win10 FOR FREE as long as you are someone that uses the accessibility features by going to the windows accessibility website and upgrading from there.

p.s. i love using the zoom and screen reader and so do you

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a 1070/1080 and a new monitor
I'm wondering will my CPU give me any issues if I do go ahead. Currently have a i5 4460 (asrock H97M mobo)

Most of these "superior" blocks seem a bit pointless tho. Like pic related that has no water flow in the blue areas, no water flow near zero heat transfer. Also universals could be used on another card as well making the price difference even greater

You'll be fine. Honestly just get a 1070 or wait for the 1080Ti.

If I were you I'd wait until I could afford an HDR G-sync 1440p 144Hz monitor. Then buy the graphics card.

wait, wait, I thought I couldn't get it in there.
I sent pics to EVGA, they said it was alright.

I'm building a basic Linux workstation that needs to be compatible with Fedora out of the box. Should I part it out or buy an off-lease thinkstation/OptiPlex?

Off-lease will save you a ton and slightly older hardware ensures Linux compatibility. I'd definitely do that.

Those parts barely generate any heat though. You need to cover couple of essential parts of the cars and rest of it will stay cool by itself. Universals don't cover everything essential which leads into bad overcooling potential.

>Also universals could be used on another card as well making the price difference even greater
True, but it's probably be more cost effective to buy some other parts instead.

Imo it's like buying a million dollar sports car and slapping some really shitty chinese wheels on it, if you can't afford everything then you should reconsider instead of going halfway through.

Derp. Overclocking, not overcooling.

>those parts barely generate any heat though
>but you absolutely need a full block that covers them as well
make up your mind

water cooling costum loops got pretty cheap in the last few years you can get a full set with 2x big rads, cpu/gp,u blocks, pump, tubing, Reservoir for about 800€

what do I upgrade?
I multitask alot as in I open and leave lots of programs open all the time and it's lagging when I game.
I watch twitch with mpv and overwatch dips to 20fps
I'm thinking cpu but on my task manager, cpu % doesnt even go up more than 60%

i dont know what the user talks about but its pretty much impossible to not buy full cover blocks for gpus because nobody produces gpuchip only coolers which would be retarded

But yeah, anyone else have this problem?
24 pin connectors wouldn't go in, I know this was a thing with the Corsair CX series of PSUs.

I didn't fall for the 8 GB meme did I?

Will an i5 6500 bottleneck a 1080 @ 1440p? I'm building a PC, chiefly for gaming, and don't want to overspend on the CPU and wanna chuck that coin into the GPU.

CPU an GPU.
Get an i3/i5, then get a 4gb/6gb GTX card.

Cheers, was a bit nervous as I've seen my CPU hit 90%+ plus recently while playing some games.

Got any monitor recommendations? Havent bought one in 6 years but from the research I've done so far I should be aiming for an IPS 144MHZ g-sync screen (are HDMI ports and speakers common features with these screens, would be great to be able to hook up the WiiU/PS4)

Honestly your CPU and graphics card could be upgraded.

You can swap out that 6300 and get a 6350 for a $20 cost, but for only 20 bucks that will be a huge boost. Then replace the graphics card with a 470 or 1060 for $200

I'm looking to get a 1060 gtx as a replacement but why 1060 though? everywhere I see 1060 is more recommended than 1070 1080 or 960

I'll have to look into 6350, doesnt seem probable that 6350 will give a huge boost.

ah, hope something works out for me

Has any better budget option come along than the used Dell Precision T5600's on ebay?

Systems like this one:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-2x-2-60GHz-8C-E5-2670-16GB-RAM-2x-1TB-HD-No-OS-/182281508858?hash=item2a70d317fa:g:Hl0AAOSwzaJX5XIx

All you have to do is stick whatever GPU you want in there and you have a powerful PC that can do anything you want.

1060 is RX-480 Equivalent.
1070/1080 is Enthusiast-tier stuff that goes 399 minimum and upwards of 1000+
250 dollars for 6GB, 200 for 3GB(wouldn't bother with it DESU) and runs most of the games nowdays pretty well.

RX-480 will future proof your stuff, etc. but it also has more TDP than the 1060.

In my case, I HAVE to get a 1060 mini because I can't install HDD on lower bracket in Fractal 1000 case.

is there a reason why I don't want to get the RX considering I have an AMD cpu? won't the 2 combo pretty well together?

you made me realize there is a mini for the 1060 and would it make much difference if both of them are 6gb? Just the cooling aspect is affected?

Doubt it, what's taking up all that memory? But you can always go in and add another x2 4GB sticks if you have the slots.

He don't need an Intel platform yet, considering he'd have to get a new mobo and DDR4 RAM. The 6350 or 8350 are fine CPUs, you just wouldn't build a new rig with them.

HDR isn't even out yet, but it will be soon. Anyway a monitor with the specs I posted will cost a pretty penny.

The 1060 the standard 1080p 60Hz card from Nvidia. 1070 and up are for higher resolutions or refresh rates.

I have the FX-6350, and with AMD CPUs higher clockspeeds seem to have really inordinate effects on framerate and stability

Clock speeds are pretty low on those Xeons

>2x 2.60GHz 8C E5-2670

Intel's site says that's an 8 core CPU. So it's a 16 core (dual GPU) machine?

It also says it was launched in 2012. That's an old CPU. And only 16 GB RAM? (The Intel site says the CPU supports 384 GB max, that's pretty neat)

>He don't need
>The 6350 or 8350 are
Jesus Christ, my English.

>nobody produces gpuchip only coolers

>nobody

>noooobody

Anyone have any experience with this monitor? The Dell S2716DG, it seems like a pretty good deal and I don't mind a TN panel.

But does that really matter? If you're worried about games it won't be an issue.

>So it's a 16 core (dual GPU) machine?

Yes, 16 cores 32 threads. 16gb of RAM should be plenty to start out with.

First PC I've ever build mostly for gaming
Budget 580$
Everything look ok? pcpartpicker.com/list/Jhmgnn

Clock speed plays into single core performance, and the Xeons are pretty low in that department. Not too low, but pretty low. Most people will never need a platform with 16 threads

Not great
Get a 4GB 470 for $200. $175 is way too much for a 380
CPU is weak
Get a x2 4GB RAM kit

Consider a build like this, may want to change the case pcpartpicker.com/list/kQWrM8

Drop the AMD CPU and the cooler and buy an i3 6100 which doesnt need more than the stock cooler. I assure you thats a better choice. Itll be the same price and better.

Drop the mobo and for 5 more dollars get an H110m, look it up on amazon and youll find it easily. This mobo supports 2133 mhz ram which you can upgrade to for no extra cost. Also get 4x2 ram instead of 1x8.

The graphics card is ok but if you can get a 470 for near the same or slightly higher price. If youre ok with waiting a month ir two the GTX 1050 is coming which will be the premier low budget card

This guy and I just made the exact same suggestion so its likely your right path forward

At the risk of sounding stupid what brand 1101m? does it matter or should I just go for cheapest?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Jhmgnn
You're overpaying for that processor. The 880K goes for around the same price and is faster. The 845 is even cheaper and slightly faster than the 860K at stock.
The 880K or 845 supports DDR3-2133, so swap to that. A single stick is fine, ignore these retards saying to go dual-stick, there is no real world difference with a 8GB DDR3 DIMM.
Drop the 380 and either get the RX 470 4GB or wait for the GTX 1050 Ti that's coming out by November.
Downsize to a cheaper microATX case.
Suck my breasts.

I'd just check newegg's user reviews and the manufacturer warranty. There are other little things you should check like the video outputs in case you want to use integrated graphics. Some are only DVI, might want a different connection.

No one who's adding a discrete graphics card should be buying an AMD APU. If you're trying to play DOTA without a graphics card, it might be for you.

>No one who's adding a discrete graphics card should be buying an AMD APU
Except for the fact that the Athlons are half the price of an i3 and come within 85-95% of the Skylake CPU in actual performance.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VGyxgL
Should I do it, Cred Forums?

I dont feel good about that case and cpu cooler.

Is there a better mITX case?

>bought 6600K expecting to have CPU overkill until the end of time
>all my games use 60-90% CPU usage
I'm scared, is my computer dumb?

880K = 90
i3 6100 = 110
There is a huge performance gap. Not worth it for 20 bucks.

>There is a huge performance gap
Prove it. And The 845 can be had at $60 right now.

>Ask /pcbg/ about 1060 for gaymen
>it's gimped! Its gonna be useless in a year!
>Spend $200 more on 1070 instead
>240FPS on absolute maxed settings
Why

because the 1060 is a shit card, especially if you already owned a 980.

No one suggests the 1070 for 1080p 60Hz in here

Pic related, single core performance is important for gaming

A side note, should the R9 290 be placed in the hall of fame of graphics cards soon?

And you're not stuck in a dead socket. In two or three years you can upgrade the i3 to an i7 if you want and rejuvenate your machine. Or if you change platforms, at least you get to reuse your RAM.

New builds with discrete graphics shouldn't use an old platform like FM2

Probably should've stated that I went AMD. My Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 chokes some performance out of my 280 on top of the bottleneck I have because my FX-4200 is weak as hell. I know the different chipsets have different features, but I don't know how to determine if a mobo is so shitty it'll reduce the overall efficiency of a PC because the parts are too strong for the mobo to effectively communicate with

It makes literally 0 difference. I have friends that run AMD CPU and Nvidia just find.

>I have the FX-6350, and with AMD CPUs higher clockspeeds seem to have really inordinate effects on framerate and stability

Oh? I haven't actually noticed this. Mind going a bit more in depth?

Did you OC yet?

Single threaded performance is important, but are the results really worth the extra $50 premium over the X4 845? The biggest FPS difference I've seen between the two CPUs was in GTA 5, and the difference was just a handful of frames lower. Not exactly a bad showing for the price (and a gimped GPU bandwidth)
AM4 is out already, so it's only a matter of time before the first B350 and X370 boards come to the market. The Athlon X4 950 is practically identical to the X4 845 anyway, plus you can skip to an 8-core Zen if you wanted to.

Not like people actually swap their CPUs to upgrade anyway. I guarantee you that you'll most likely upgrade your whole build than upgrade the CPU several years later. It's a non-issue.

>I have the FX-6350, and with AMD CPUs higher clockspeeds seem to have really inordinate effects on framerate and stability

>Oh? I haven't actually noticed this. Mind going a bit more in depth?

Its called overheating anons.

>AMD CPUs higher clockspeeds seem to have really inordinate effects on framerate and stability
See benchmark

There's literally no reason to get an 845 except to lower the total cost of the build by a TINY fraction.. it's just not worth it for the reasons already presented.

Also you get integrated graphics with the i3, just in case something goes wrong with your graphics card and you need to RMA or troubleshoot. You're literally in the dark with an 845

i3 that's stuck with 2 cores really starts to suffers in games that take advantage of multiple threads, and that's increasing amount of new games GTA5 included. 4 physical cores seems to be the sweet spot right now

>AM4 is out already, so it's only a matter of time before the first B350 and X370 boards come to the market. The Athlon X4 950 is practically identical to the X4 845 anyway, plus you can skip to an 8-core Zen if you wanted to.
But when?!

I was using a lot of ram and I wasn't sure why.

But then I noticed my RAM is showing 1066 MHz and not 2133 MHz. What's going on?

What's going on is that you have no idea what DDR means.

So it's fine?

Yes.

Corsair Vengeance 3000hz 15-17-17-35
OR
Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz 16-18-18-36
$10 difference

Good thing I saved his flag.

No, I was planning on waiting until it's necessary, but I honestly don't know what is necessary CPU-wise. Is 60-80% usage a lot? My laptop was pinned at 100% all the time and it... managed
My CPU temp never goes above 40° so maybe a little overclocking wouldn't hurt

2133MHz, your motherboard probably won't support XMP auto-overclocking for those specific models anyways

>is there a reason why I don't want to get the RX considering I have an AMD cpu? won't the 2 combo pretty well together?

It's actually kind of the opposite for Dx11 games. AMD's drivers have higher CPU overhead, so even in otherwise well-threaded games you'll want good single-threaded performance where intel is better, at least until zen comes out. Doesn't really make a big difference, though.

Doesn't matter too much.
You can overclock one to match the other.

Frequency you can just change yourself, you can't force your ram to have low timing

So, I started getting no output to my monitor and also the mouse and other components were losing power to them. I figured that it may be my motherboard that needs replacing. Anyway I pulled apart my PC to check parts and dropped my CPU with the heatsink attached and wrecked it also.
So i'm looking for a new combination of CPU and motherboard. I'm looking at under $300 for the budget.
My case is a Thermaltake V9 with my current motherboard Gigabyte ga ma785g and CPU AMD phenom ii hdx945fbk4dgi. I don't need to go much more powerful as I am only playing CS

Do you have DDR3 RAM? And what's your graphics card?

Current RAM is DDR2 It won't be too much an issue to upgrade if need be though. Graphics card is gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3185#ov

I was going to get a MSI Z170A-Gaming M5

If all you play is CS then you might consider just getting an APU like A10-7860K. You won't even need a dedicated graphics card. You could get that APU, and FM2+ mobo, and 8GB of DDR3 for less than 200USD

I'd get the 3000MHz DDR4, just my vote

I really recommend getting this case if you want a mid tower and like windows. It has lots of room for cable routing and fans/rads. The acrylic window is FULL and looks incredible.

I'm considering replacing the fan that came with the Sea Hawk because the LEDs are blue-white and aren't meant to be viewed from the side. I don't like LEDs anyway because they are more like point-sources of light and I prefer a glow.

One thing that pisses me off about white LEDs is that they almost never match between sources. The H105 is a bit warm but is closest to true white and it's the most appealing. The msi logo on the Sea Hawk is a ghost white, yet not as severe as on the fan.

>4 servings of chicken tendies (1 meal) awarded to anyone who can find all of my Microsoft Mans :^)

I really recommend getting this case if you want a mid tower and like windows. It has lots of room for cable routing and fans/rads. The acrylic window is FULL and looks incredible.

I'm considering replacing the fan that came with the Sea Hawk because the LEDs are blue-white and aren't meant to be viewed from the side. I don't like LEDs anyway because they are more like point-sources of light and I prefer a glow.

One thing that pisses me off about white LEDs is that they almost never match between sources. The H105 is a bit warm but is closest to true white and it's the most appealing. The msi logo on the Sea Hawk is a ghost white, yet not as severe as on the fan.

>4 servings of chicken tendies (1 meal) awarded to anyone who can find all of my Microsoft Mans :^)

Check the website to see if the motherboard has a list of compatible ram, my gigabyte Z170 board wouldn't boot when I XMP'ed my G skill ram to 3000mhz until I updated the BIOS, was stuck with 2133mhz which I'm sure makes no noticeable difference

Orite Cred Forumsents. I'm putting together a budget PC to play a bunch of AAA's I missed the boat on since about 2012. How does this look for internals?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zzKcxY

Is AOC a good monitor brand?
Also new thread when

>DDR4 Memory
3600(OC)/ 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC)/ 2800(OC)/ 2600(OC)/ 2400/ 2133 MHz
So I assume it's the same as yours?

Not that great.
You don't need a CPU cooler because the i3 comes with one.
You don't need a Z170 mobo if you're not using an unlocked "K" CPU. You can use H110 or H170
A 950 is a really bad value right now. Either wait for the 1050 coming in about a month or get a 3GB 1060.

No, the actual list of specific ram models on the website support/downloads or something
Some motherboards are picky about full speed ram I guess

You dropped these "", let me help you
>A 950 is a really bad value right now. Either wait for the 1050 coming in about a month or get a 3GB "1060".
Or just go for RX470 right now. As you said, no need for Z mobo (-£20-30) or aftermarket cooler (-£30) -> he can easilly fit a ~£180 card within that same £483.10 total

>RX470
I'm not familiar with pricing in Europe, but it's my understanding that AMD products are more expensive. In that case the 470 might not be a good value, which is why I suggested the 3GB 1060, since they are almost equivalent.

Aww shit nigga, thats the one I want to builtd once that I had save enough.
I am thinkin about the i5, its the difference notable with the i3?

Yes it is.

>fucking 3000$ build
>only 2400 RAM
>MSI goy
>850W total overkill PSU
>Win10 fucking HOME EDITION
>MUH LEDS MUH LEDS
Here, use this Nvidia™ Gaming™ case to complete your Rig™

new thread?

Make one

please rate:

pcpartpicker.com/list/hb22xY

Is such a small case worth the increased temps? I'd love to have a compact as fuck build, but if the temperatures are off the charts I'd consider a micro atx with better cooling

will be used for video editing, rendering (mostly CPU) and gaming.

I'd say your going to cook your components with this. if you want a compact build, look for ITX / mATX cubes where you can fit a better aircooler or an AIO in.

Some correction: look at this build: pcpartpicker.com/b/PpyfrH
I recommend you take this as template and try to rebuild it, don't skip on the fans and doublecheck for all parts if they will fit.

Thanks for the advice, taken on board. Leaves me with a budget of £230 ish for graphics.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dtCDjc

A few questions:
1. Is it worth gunning for a RX480 8G / 1060 6G on these parts, or would overall performance reach a bottleneck? If so would it be better to balance a cheaper GPU with an I5 6500?
2. Will MicroATX cases typically take a big bastard like a 480?
3. Future-proofing wise, is it better to invest in a better CPU/Chipset or Graphics card?

Cheers lads.

those temps looks really good. I'm still leaning towards an unlocked CPU, just for the extra clock speed at default voltage... good idea?

>1. Is it worth gunning for a RX480 8G / 1060 6G on these parts, or would overall performance reach a bottleneck? If so would it be better to balance a cheaper GPU with an I5 6500?

What is and isn't a bottleneck depends on your goal. If you want playable framerates with max settings, 6100+RX480 is a good combo. If settings aren't that important as long as FPS doesn't drop below 60, get the i5.

Gonna buy this in about an hour.

pcpartpicker.com/list/698jnn

Any last minute shit?

This build is not meant to be OC'd, auto OC should be fine though.

>Is it worth gunning for a RX480 8G / 1060 6G on these parts
Yes, but that's as far as you can go with those parts. Also remember, CPU heavy games will run like shit on an i3.
>If so would it be better to balance a cheaper GPU with an I5 6500?
i5-6500 is a much better CPU, but it's only worth if you want to upgrade your GPU or need a more powerful CPU.
>Will MicroATX cases typically take a big bastard like a 480?
Depends on the case, some will, some won't.
>Future-proofing wise, is it better to invest in a better CPU/Chipset or Graphics card?
Definitely CPU/mobo. You won't be able to replace this as easily since it's your computers "heart".

Objectively no. Maybe some HDD for additional storage, but otherwise.. you're fine, do it faggot.

Eh the 500G forces me to keep a tight ship anyway so I'm not too bothered.

Here laddy, take a look at this: uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZGbwYr
This is a complete and affordable example build with optional components at similar prices.
Mobo: MSI H110M ProVD vs. Asus H110M Plus, i recommend the later.
GPU: 1060 6G vs. RX480 8G, choice is your.
Case: CM N200 vs. Corsair 350D mATX, later is better, but about 10-15 pounds more expensive.

1. i3 is fine for 480 or 1060. You can upgrade the CPU later if you go for a 144Hz monitor. An i3 can even feed a GTX1070 at 1440p or 4K @ 60Hz. I was watching some youtube benchmarks earlier. youtube.com/watch?v=CXXSrjWpFD4

2. Yes

3. Probably the best thing you could do is get a z170 mobo. That would prepare you for an unlocked CPU or multigpu. But I wouldn't try to futureproof the CPU and especially not the graphics card.