youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAQylVPU3I
denon.jp/jp/product/headphones/classicoveronear/ahgc20mdk
amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVVX2QW/
theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NL5SM/
amazon.com/dp/B01ERLN180/
amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
amazon.com/Micca-OriGen-High-Resolution-Preamplifier/dp/B00V7K5UJI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444432963&sr=1-1&keywords=micca origen&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=743c6ae38005dd35e252c1a2dc8fc1d7
monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

XD

>Budget
~$60
>Location
US
>Source
Laptop, iPad, Shitty old iPod Touch, 3DS
>Preferred type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Give me better sound
>Past headphones
Currently have SoundMAGIC E10 Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones. Want to see if there is something better for $60.

How bad are chink IEMs?
Thinking of grabbing something cheap like the kz edr2.

Also the cable on my Sony mdrzx310 is pulling out from the aux connector. Thinking of going with a Bluetooth headphone with good battery. Any chink ones around the $30 mark?

I'm not too fussed about sound quality as long as it doesn't sound like there's a cardboard wall between me and the drivers.

Won't really find something better at $60.
Can't find measurements, gonna have to trust the shills' word if you buy the chink stuff.

I'm assuming the shills wouldn't recommend anything awful since I can just search forums for the models they recommend

>find out there's distortion in left driver on hd600

Don't be a faggot and wait for the bump limit.

He did you idiot.
Stop being autistic

The bump limit is 310 not 301.

I know. Everyone here knows.

This is why warranty exists.

Apparently doesn't know.

>mainly listen to classical
>buy soundmagic e10

regretting my purchase now

I've already had them for 9 months, it may have been my fault for over-driving them

that's how they're meant to sound in the bass

>$300 to 500
>US
>Desktop
>Full
>Closed
>Quality
>Neutral-Warm
>Shure 840 (replaced under warranty, cracked again in the same place):

head-fi.org/t/654493/shure-srh840-broken-plastic-joint
head-fi.org/t/543499/broken-srh840s-help
head-fi.org/t/564853/i-broke-my-shure-srh840s
head-fi.org/t/651366/like-the-shure-srh940-the-840-cracks-too

How can you tell if there is distortion?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAQylVPU3I

is the left channel quieter than the right for you guys? i've tried this on 3 different headphones and the result is the same

>is the left channel quieter than the right for you guys?
No

oppo pm3

They're 307 ohms, what the fuck were you using them for? Party speakers?

there would be times were i'd get tired of wearing them, so i'd put them on my neck and crank the volume to max (I didn't have an amp at the time) and use them as mini speakers.

honesty didn't know this would be a bad thing since I hear about audiphools who do the same except play pink noise to burn them in

>I don't have one
Yes you do. You don't get audio from digital data otherwise.
What you mean to say is you probably don't have a discrete specialized unit to do it for you.

I'll repeat myself: what problems are you having with your current DAC?

>this thread about 2 weeks ago said I didn't need one for HD 558s but I kinda think I was memed.
Buying extra gear doesn't magically make your headphones sound good. Your brain can do that, but not the gear.
The point of "better" amplifiers and DACs is that they add fewer artifacts into the audio.

>find out there's distortion in left driver on hd600
Look at the driver and see if there is anything stuck, voice coil out of place, hair in the driver, and the like.

>They're 307 ohms
Not relevant to anything. Seriously.

Hi /hpg/ yestearday I asked for a advice and setlled to buy the 9500
I also want to buy a Fiio M3( maybe a X3 if I can get enough money), so what headphones should I get for outdoor wear?

>Budget
150usd
>Location
Mexico
>Source
Fiio M3 ( Maybe a X3)
Over
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy
>Past headphones
Hyper X Cloud II

>Mexico
>wearing full headphones outside

Its like you are asking to be robbed.

Or u dont live in Mexico, or you live in the ghetto like parts of Mootxico

>feel that the hd600 bass is too light
>no problem, a little EQ can help
>driver distorts during EDM

fuck this gay earth

>what is a pre-amp hurr
You're supposed to lower the amp on the highest decibel that you have on the graph.

I did, the driver just distorts anyway

>Budget
150-175 American Dollars
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptop, Walkman, iPhone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Middle Grounds leaning more toward Comfort.

My HD600 doesn't distort even if I add a 20dB bass boost to both drivers (and reduce the preamp by 20dB of course).

Yours might be defective.

>20dB bass boost

Sometimes I want to nigger out and feel the bass.

Are HD 558's the biggest meme headphones out there?

denon.jp/jp/product/headphones/classicoveronear/ahgc20mdk

Should I do it?

No don't be retarded. Crappy headphones and they aren't even different than the regular version

>Budget
1500 CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
Computer
Full size electrostatic earspeakers
>Comfort level
I'm sure it will be fine at this price point
>Past headphones
HD668B

Also I'm pretty sure I need a dac between the computer and the electrostatic amp so if you could recomend one that would be great, thanks.

No, get these instead, the AH-D1100AG. Two girls for 1.

Obviously. It has anime on the package!

Whichever Lambda system is within your budget.

whoever decided to put anime girls on all these shitty headphone models they couldnt sell is a marketing genious

now thats value
dont think anyone can beat it

I head some people saying that they think the cheaper lambda systems are superior? is this simply people that bought the cheaper ones justifying their purchase?

They can be generalised with the higher end Lambda's being more midbassy while the lower end are brighter. Keep in mind that most Lambda's have very similar signatures and changes from model to model are subtle.
Whichever is superior is up to preference.

Did I win?

Best

Probably a fake desu.

Muddy, harsh, no isolation and a shitty cable system. No

>ie800
>ebay
literally 100% a scam.

Jakkasu is asleep.

Post wireless headphones.

I make electronic music with analog equipment, and want a pair of transparent, decent-quality phones to use the studio- so, studios for listening closely and mastering rather than listening to recorded music.

Would the Sennheiser hd600 fit my purposes? I've heard it has very good transparency for it's price range, but I've also heard about the alleged "veil", not sure how legitimate it is.

Also, do you think amps are 100% necessary with these phones, or would it be worth trying without the amp and then deciding later on?

Thanks!

IE800 > K7XX > M50X

The K7XX approaches the IE800 in sound quality but it's not quite there.
M50X is alright but the soundstage is way too narrow and the clamping force is too high for my big head.

Depends on what you're plugging them into.

The HD600 is pretty much the most neutral headphone that is in production right now, some say it's veiled, others say it's bright but it's neutral so whatever people are accustomed with they'll tend to hear the HD600 as sounding different.

I see! What are your thoughts on the amp thing? Wouldn't my mixer be working as a sort of "amp" in the process? Either way, I'm considering getting just the phones and then deciding later on, as long as that doesn't damage them somehow.

Also, I'm now reading how a lot of producers are against the idea of making music on headphones for whatever reason - does anyone here know about that? I tend to keep to myself musically, so this is the first time I've heard that.

During the time of HD600s release, headphones with bright (boosted treble) signatures were what was popular. The veil was people being unused to the HD600 signature, which had less treble energy compared to what they were accustomed to.

That seems to be the impression I was getting. To the untrained ear, raising the treble on an EQ will make somebody assume it sounds "better", when really it's distorting the source audio. I think human ears just have a sensitivity/preference to treble, and so headphone makers capitalize on that. I could be wrong though, this headphone stuff isn't really my forte.

They are relatively easy to drive and the main reason to get a dedicated amp with them is for the 550 ohm impedance swing at 100hz, which can make them have more midbass on high impedance sources.

I don't know too much about impedance in this context- does audio equipment generally have the same impedance issues as a computer's DAC?

Any decent solid state amp should have an output impedance of 1 ohm or below.

>does audio equipment generally have the same impedance issues as a computer's DAC?
What do you mean? Modern mobos can work just as good as dedicated DACs. I know my laptop has a high output impedance from testing with my SE535 which is sensitive as fuck and does not have a flat impedance curve.

this is wrong, everyone was chasing diffuse-field at this time and beforehand. it just took sennheiser longer to grow out of it.

Is it true the senny ie800 has more soundstage than open headphone? Or is that just a meme.

What's the process for detecting distortion when using headphones and an amp?

listening to something you're experienced with.

I mean in terms of diagnosing the source (amp or headphones) when the headphones themselves are high impedance.

by changing what the headphone is plugged into?

I guess I should be more direct: will switching to non-amplified source for high-impedance headphones invalidate determining the source of the distortion?

Not him but what exactly is "distortion" suppose to sound like?

finally! after much searching, I have found the shiniest headphones in all the land! too bad they fucking suck. uncomfortable, too much bass, and the highs are just gone. good thing I only paid 30 bucks for them.

on another note, I ordered the dt 770 on amazon and they'll come... eventually. hopefully they make my dreams come true

For me, it's "fuzzy" audio.

>complaining about bass when its marketed as "extra bass" headphones.

Any sony with XB will have more bass.

the opposite of clean sounding. harmonic distortion is simply the headphone's inability to produce a tone without introducing more tones at a lower level, generally in octaves. it's not anything like radio 'fuzz'

I love my DT 770s, but I want to try something more open. Should I get a pair of DT 990 Pros?

if you can get them somewhere it's easy to return them, yes. based on your love of the 770 however, the 990 should be fine.

Headphones don't do stereo imaging correctly. Maybe you can try some crossfeed with them.

The mixer should be fine.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I'm reading all about this at the moment, it's a bit stressful because I live in a small apartment and I am worried about getting speakers and not being able to use them correctly, or waking my roommate. But, I can't afford both nice headphones and speakers, since I've already blown a ton of money on synths.

Do you all think it's possible to mix properly on only a pair of headphones? This is really stressing me out...

Just for a little more clarity, this harmonic distortion will choke out other sounds.
If you wanna experience it yourself, listen to any over-ear headphones over $30, and then listen to any in-ear headphones under $20. You'll notice on the in-ears there will be a section that's lacking, whether the vocals, mids, percussion, ect.

I shit you not, a lot of popular music is mastered for phone speakers and radio.

Do you mean it might make sense to buy the Sennheisers and maybe some shitty speakers to compensate for what "most people" will be listening on?

Its just that most producers that work on music that hit the repeat playlist on the radio favor sections that get accented on small speakers. Vocals, percussion, and lead instruments all get special attention while everything else gets held back so it doesn't cover up the 'main parts'. It sounds a bit dead on good headphones if you ask me.

reminder that denon headphones were only ever good because for fostex, they make shit now. if you want a good fostex for cheap, get a CAL.

>all this expensive headgear
>macbook
kek

>expensive
kek

>ever good because for fostex

What do you mean? Were they working together at one point? Look at wiki but didnt find anything about them.

why do you think denon headphones have identical headbands/yokes to fostex closed backs

no, that would be meme50

the veil has nothing to do with the level of the upper mids or treble, rather how they are presented, their character (yes, unmeasured subjective impressions but it is what it is). because it's still noticeable now when the hd600 is actually brighter than most headphones and most of us aren't old farts who were into headphones back then. many headphones with less treble don't sound veiled. that said, it's a small thing and it's much less noticeable on the hd600 than on say the 650. you would have to be an experienced listener and a/b testing to really notice it. electronic is not going to make it obvious either, since there is rarely sustained, upper-mids/high tones, and even if there are, they're not acoustic which helps. you notice it more with strings, brass, cymbals, and sometimes electric guitar. this is also why people have called the hd600 "polite" or "forgiving" for ages despite being pretty df neutral.

th-02 and piston 3 would like a word

I can buy a microsoft surface pro for the same amount of money that you spent for your ie 800s.

meme50 is a great artist tho
i'm not the user, i just find it hilarious that you think any of the stuff is expensive.

they literally contracted out the headphones and then just branded them denon. there are many headphones like this. problem is people who don't know better get a bait and switch when the "new" model comes out, they buy it, and realize it's shit because it's not fostex anymore.

>meme50 is a great artist tho

Control all cognitive biases during listening and humans prefer (close to) neutral and extended response.

>Budget
100€, hard upper limit
>Location
Slovenia
www.ceneje.si
>Source
Wireless
See pic related
>Comfort level
This over sound quality
>Preferred tonal balance
Voice
>Past headphones
Random crap

Mom is buying new heaphones and we want to get something that isn't shit for once. Needs to be wireless, pic related is something I randomly came across (Logi H600), but they seem to have extra shitty QC. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

If you can't just tell, listen to a sine wave, harmonics will be most apparent then. With a 20Hz sine wave you should not hear anything until you hit at least 70dB. Obviously this won't happen with dynamic headphones, you'll get plenty of distortion.

It's a surface book, and I'm running them off of the Fiio E17 you can see there.

The soundstage is similar to the K7XX.

The story of how I got them is convoluted but essentially I only paid 400 CAD. I did pay 3k for the surface book though.

Been seeing them for 87€ since the new models were announced. If I hadn't just bought new open-back circumaurals I'd jump at it.

Soundstage is similar? Is it really that good? I read on head fi that someone said its better than hd800.

Like for example can you hear music froming the front and back. I use IEM too but the soundstage is mostly coming from the sides (like most are). Just wondering if the ie800 has something special to make it sound wider.

Thanks.

I'm always amused by the talks of headphones and soundstage. The whole concept is downright silly past what FR alters. Especially the talks of how large or accurate the soundstage is. This shit couldn't be any more anecdotal and prone to confirmation bias.

Yeah they do, they have the distinctive dual vents in the back. They act as an open back letting some sound in, but more importantly they are Helmholtz Resonators which tweak the sound, directionally being one of the things affected.

>This shit couldn't be any more anecdotal and prone to confirmation bias.
How do they measure sound stage on speakers?

I'm guy number two and I also thought it was bs until I got open back headphones. I still think it's only a difference of environmental sound bleeding in or not. The IE800 sounds open because of the holes in the back.

It's irrelevant on speakers, you will have surrounding sounds reaching you in every scenario unless you're using headphones.

Does the dual vent leak sound outside like open headphones?

They don't. It's not quantifiable. It's a product of mixing and mastering but room interaction can emphasise or mask it.

>helmholtz resonator
>directional sound
pls

>It's irrelevant on speakers, you will have surrounding sounds
Yeah, that's nice if you get mono instead of stereo from 4+ channels without any actual stereo or soundstage. It seems you just reject the entire concept of sound stage not just on headphones.

>They don't. It's not quantifiable. It's a product of mixing and mastering but room interaction can emphasise or mask it.
Thus the complaint about soundstage on headphones is completely specious as soundstage in regards to all music reproduction is anecdotal.

Yeah but it's a negligible amount since the volumes aren't nearly as loud. You can only hear it in a completely silent room or with the volume turned up to deafening volumes.

The effect of reflected sound in a room on imaging and soundstage is significant but that doesn't exist in headphones. No sound reproduction device creates soundstage and yeah, the talks about it are mostly anecdotal. It would be visible in the IR but interpretation of the data is hard.

>The effect of reflected sound in a room on imaging and soundstage is significant
Yes, it is significant. It makes the ANECDOTAL experience worse unless the room is treated.

>No sound reproduction device creates soundstage
Spoken like a true idiot who has never heard any binaural recordings like the classic barbershop recording.

Soundstage is real. Just compare a sub 100 dollar closed headphone like v6 or m50 with any 200-300 dollars open headphone. Its like night and day. Not sure about high end closed cans or high end IEM though.

Oooh Butterfly daddy, pump ya piping hot cummies in my tummy. Your shaft your pole, stick it in any hole.

How do binaural recordings go against anything I said?

Cute how the price needs to be stated yet again. My HD 800s have a nonexistent stage and they sound like any other open back once I EQ them to a similar target.

>How do binaural recordings go against anything I said?
Do you even understand what a soundstage is? The very existence of binaural recordings goes against the quoted statement.

>Budget
250 USD
>Location
Europe
>Source
Desktop, Scarlett Solo
Full size
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter
>Preferred tonal balance
Reference headphones
>Past headphones
AKG K240 Studio

I want to upgrade from my AKG K240 Studios to a fancier pair of reference headphones. I listen to all sorts of music and record music, mostly rock/metal, singer songwriter and electronic music, so I need something as neutral and balanced as possible. Any suggestions?

I said no sound reproduction device creates soundstage which doesn't go against binaural recordings where the microphone placement bakes in the ear, head and sometimes torso response in a room. And yes I know what the term means as a product of stereo mastering.

Its not about the price. I dont know what headphones you have so i just use that as an example.

>my hd800...sound like any other open back

So you admit open back sound different then closed cans. Why you buy a hd800 if you cant even hear the difference in sound stage.

K7XX, get it on massdrop now
Or hd600 if you can afford it.

>yes I know what the term means as a product of stereo mastering.
I doubt it given how your own sentence contradicts itself. Please provide an explanation of what soundstage is.

Can't find the drop, aren't those just the AKG K702? Is there any difference between those and the K7xx?

>Budget
$100
>Location
Canada
>Source
Phone
IEMs
>Comfort level
Preferably high?
>Past headphones
I have Sennheiser 598s on my PC. All my IEMs have been the cheap ones included with various electronics.

As I've never had decent IEMs, I don't know what to expect out of the format. I find them incredibly uncomfortable, they don't sound great, and they break quickly. However I'd like a pair for traveling and listening to in bed since full size headphones suck when you're laying down. If spending more just means something marginally better that still breaks in six months, I guess I'll just go buy some chinkshit.

>Budget
~100usd
>Location
straya
>Source
Mostly phone
iem only
>Comfort level
As long as they're not falling out all the time I'm not fussed. It would be good if they stayed in when running but not really interested in autist tier sport earphones
>Preferred tonal balance
na
I'm looking at soundmagic e80's right now. does anyone know if theres any actual difference between the e80s and e80c? If its only the added volume buttons I'll probably just save the $30

>tfw AT no longer services your headphones or carries any replacement parts

It's been nearly 7 years

These plastic hinges will fail on me sooner or later and I will have no idea what to do.

RE400

Get Xiaomi Piston 3 or Superlux HD381F. Generally considered to be the best of budget chink IEM.

DT 770 is god tier, welcome to the big boy leagues

K702, friend. They're a straight upgrade over the K240.

Do you need an amp with them?

Are you ?
Your current gear is enough. If it's not enough, you could always spend dome extra money on a Fiio E10K and remain within your budget. Where are you living in Europe? On Amazon.it the K702 is around 190€ now, but it sometimes goes down to even 150€.

Yup, I'm in Sweden, and I usually shop at Amazon.co.uk. I'm actually not too familiar with how audio interfaces handles headphones but I assume it shouldn't be a problem since that's what they're built for.

You could look into a dt 770.

Thanks I'll check them out

Yes there are obvious differences in sound leakage and sometimes less reflections inside the earcup between open and closed headphones. And HD 800 because is the perfect candidate for EQ due to its linearity and low distortion, very resistant to leakage effects and positioning on the head even compared to other open back headphones, comfortable, well built, not hard to drive and guaranteed quality out of the box.

Let's hear how it contradicts itself first.

>Let's hear how it contradicts itself first.
If you have no understanding of what soundstage is then you will not understand how it is contradicting itself. You demonstrate that you have no understanding of what soundstage is and try to dodge proving only proves that you know you are ignorant.

Chromecast Audio -> Toslink -> DAC -> Headphones

Am I missing something or is this a space saving solution to listen to music in a comfy chair?

As long as the dac has a headphone out capable of driving your headphones.

>Budget
100-200€

>Location
France

>Source
desktop computer

Full sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
At least good enough to last long periods without removing but i prefer better audio over comfort

>Preferred tonal balance
I have no preference, i just listen to a lot of music and play lot of video games if that help a bit

I had too many crappy headphones not worth mentionning in the past because of tight budget, but now i can make the difference

Just no. I want to hear it from you first as you always seem so confident about the things you "argue" here. You are the same dumbass who never actually argues but calls various things bullshit, sometimes wrongfully so, never explains anything even when asked and weasels out from that by dodging the questions, by misinterpreting things written or concludes/assumes something between the lines and bases the next replies on those misinterpreted/assumed points. And no you are not to assume that I don't know what a soundstage is in this context just because I'm reluctant to word it to you. Now please explain the contradiction you see in my earlier post and stop replying with nonsense.

>Just no.
If you cannot demonstrate an understanding of soundstage I cannot explain your error. And if you cannot be bothered to answer a question and prove you understand something as basic as soundstage I cannot be bothered to waste any further time reading your posts.

Oh, and just for your own benefit since you have proven to me that you do not understand what soundstage is, it is the psychoaccoustic sensation of sound having a specific position in x, y, and z axis. The x axis is the easiest to reproduce with stereo headphones y is a bit more difficult but easily replicated with any decent binaural recording.

Enjoy your education of a simple audio concept for audio reproductions that you claim is not disproven by the mere existence of binaural recordings.

Post audio setups and guess what it usually played through them

Where's the waifu block?

Is there a guide to finding a waifu?

AI YO

I'm looking to buy my first good pair of headphones but I'm a bit confused about amping requirements.

I've got a NAD C 326BEE stereo amp and it obviously has a headphone output, it's spec sheet says it has a 68ohm output impedance and that it can be used with "conventional headphones of any impedance." There's nothing I can find about the headphone amp section's power output. Would it be a fairly safe bet to say that I'd be able to drive any headphone using it, or are there models that would need some sort of low impedance dedicated headphone amp to work?

My m40x's just arrived. What should I listen to first and where do I get flac files?

Custom One Pro.

You can but maybe invest in some super cheap bookshelf speakers to do a final check that your music sounds correctly. The HD600 would still be the main mixing device.

Not Cred Forums's expertise, gonna have to read reviews yourself and take the plunge on something durable.

DT-770 Pro 80 Ohm

You'd be better using headphones with a flatter impedance response like ATH-M50x, MDR-7506.

The amp's output should be fine.

RuTracker, or take What.CD's interview.

Also FLAC isn't necessary, MP3 is fine.

Buy a OPPO PM-3 and just boost the highs with software EQ.

>Lurk /hpg/ threads eryday.
>Never Denon AH-D7000
I thought Cred Forums appreciated good headphones.

It's deprecated.

It's a higher priced D2000.

They sell used for more than they sold new. If you can even find them.
I got mine for 50% off on clearance when they were discontinued.

>You'd be better using headphones with a flatter impedance response like ATH-M50x, MDR-7506.
Thanks for the tips. I was looking for an open headphone model though and those both seem to be closed. The Sennheiser HD 650 grabbed my attention, as I'd like to have something that extends to the sub-bass area as much as possible too (for an open headphone). I also don't like harsh or excessive treble, so going by reviews they sound like a good choice for me, although their impedance response apparently isn't very flat.

It's a good choice, the receiver will make it a bit warmer due to the wide bandwidth impedance hump around 100Hz I believe.

Good news then, I'll do a bit more reading and maybe pull the trigger on them, thanks for the help.

I'm a complete downie when it comes to headphone technology, will an audio interface drive headphones properly? My Scarlett Solo says the headphone output has 10 Ohms, I assume that's a good thing?

10 Ohm output impedance is pretty good, you'd be fine with 99% of headphones.

My Fostex T50RP MK3s coming in the mail soon I can't wait!

>Budget
130€

>Location
Finland

>Source
Android phone

IEM

>Comfort level
50-50

I just want a durable pair of pretty comfy headphones with an ok sound quality. Trying to get fit and I'd like to be able to listen to music outside.

Stupid question, will plugging in a headphone to the front of the e10k switch the line out in the back from playing?

I want to be able to just plug in my headphones and it shuts the speakers off. Or will I have to turn down the volume of my speakers manually with this?

I have a ur22mkii and use DT770 80ohms, it sounds fine but doesn't get super loud, usually have to keep it around the %70 volume mark to be comfortable.

I know the scarlett devices apparently have stronger headphone outputs so it should be fine for most headphones.

>budget
50€ flexible budget
>location
Germany
>source
PS4, N3DSXL, TV, phone and ipad on occasion
>preferred type
full sized
>open or close
open
>comfort level
comfy within the budget range
>preferred tonal balance
as neutral as possible within the budget range

Would Sony MDR MA300s fit the bill? How are they overall? They got a mention in the wiki's pastebin guide.

>Budget
~$80
>Location
US
>Source
Android
>Type
IEM
>Comfort level
Something with good bass quality (mostly listen to electronic/techno etc)
>Past headphones
SoundMAGIC E80, Vsonic VSD1S

Looking for something new to try out. Halp

Hey again! Posted last night about getting Sennheiser HD600s for electronic music production. Done a bit of research since then.

I'll be driving it with my mixer for a majority of the time (when making music), but I figure I'd like to use it to listen to music casually on occasion. I'm looking for a simple DAC/Amp combo which is cheap and not overkill for occasional music listening.

One DAC I found recommended is the Fiio E7. Does anyone know if it's amp could drive an HD600 sufficiently? I don't need anything perfect for this purpose, since I'll be doing all my mixing/intensive stuff from my mixer. Thanks for all your help so far!

That guy's a poorfag. You won't get anything good out of him. Probably just learned everything on NwAVGuy's blog just then.

And he'll be fucked with 99% of IEMs.

Should I expect any real audible difference between an O2 amp and a Magni 2 when driving high-impedance headphones? I'm trying to decide which to pick, I can get the O2 slightly cheaper.

No. Get an amp alone.

O2 or Magni.

No audible difference, the Magni is more powerful however.

I use my hd600's with the fiio e10k and it drives them perfectly and more than loud enough.

Don't fall for the memes and buy something more expensive like the o2 amp etc. Yeah it has more power but it doesn't make a single difference to the hd600's. Buy the e10k from amazon, if for some weird reason you don't like it you can always send it back hassle free.

Dumb arse, E7 is not even as powerful as an E10K.

Thanks a bunch. I really think getting anything more involved would be kinda overkill, all I care about is not having to deal with my motherboard noise, and have a decent volume range.

I'm confused, are you saying the E10k is bad? I really don't mind getting either, they're pretty close in price.

That shouldn't really matter as long as I'm not looking to play anything excessively loud, should it?

>all I care about is not having to deal with my motherboard noise, and have a decent volume range

Then get the e10k, it's perfect for what you want. I use it as my desktop amp and it kills my onboard noise and drives them better than my onboard sound can. It's tiny, cheap and looks great too.

Bought em! If I don't like the e10k, I'll just return it. Thanks for being rational.

lmao what the fuck are you on about you prick. I said nothing about the e7, I recommended the e10k to him.

No problem m8. I highly doubt that you'll be returning it. Enjoy :)

>Budget
~$200 (CAD), pretty flexible, really looking for something not too pricey so I can start getting a sense of what exactly I like in a headphone.
>Location
Canada
>Source
See pic related.
Full-sized.
>Open or closed
I'm indifferent. I haven't tried high-end headphones, will probably end up getting a pair of each to get a sense of what they're about.
>Comfort level
Though I'd prefer something comfortable, comfort is not a deal breaker by any means.
>Preferred tonal balance
Really not too sure. I think somewhere in the area of warm/neutral is what I'm looking for
>Past headphones
Garbage, Sony MDR-XD100.
>Other probably unnecessary info
I've done most of my listening on my speakers (Technics SB-A52s) but my receiver recently died. My replacement receiver doesn't have a built in phono amp so I've decided to get the DarkVoice as an amp for that purpose, so it seems like a good time to get a good pair of headphones, as the DarkVoice is a headphone amp after all.

Life is comfy as fuck.

I have a question about the e10k, will plugging in headphones to the front disconnect the back line out? Or will it play through both

>Budget
100-120 euros

>Location
Europe

>Source
PC,phone

In ear

>Comfort level
Very comfy

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

>Past headphones
SE215

I am looking for in ears that are comfortable and have a microphone.
The shure SE215 where hard to get a seal except with triple/double flange tips that are not comfortable and they don't have a mic so i need to replace them.

Soundmagic E10 with Mic option

quality bait

I want the dt770 250 ohms but it has a curled cord. Are these annoying to have?

that headphone isn't very comfy stock, did you change a few things?

I have the same headphones.
What's a DAC and what's an AMP?

What do I need?

Waiting for my V2.2 upgrade kit to arrive.

I'm not sure 100% sure but I think the front gets cancelled out if you connect something to the rear.

Coiled cables are pretty annoying and heavy. They should only be used in studios etc imo. And long ones at that.

Yeah, I've added both a leather headband, and quality lambskin earpads from MrSpeakers.

r8

Those pads are great ear pillows

do you know if the dt770 250ohms is worth it over the 80? Can't tell if the improvement is worth dealing with that cable.

im thinking about getting
a FiiO E10K, blue snowball, and sennheisers hd518
is the difference between the hd 500 series drivers as negligible as people say it is? or is it worth getting the more expensive ones

bad image scaling/10

I'm pretty sure you want the 80ohm version. The 250 version is much harder to drive and doesn't actually offer anything extra.

Get a Blue Yeti and a HD558.

Not only do you get a better mic, you get better headphones and the Blue Yeti has a DAC/amp that's better than the E10K (except for the 10 ohm output impedance).

Skip the E10K of course.

I use my Blue Yeti to power my HD600. It doesn't get super loud like the Schiit Magni (which I returned), but it sounds the same and drives it adequately.

My HD600 also sounds the same on my motherboard but I use the Yeti because analog volume control is pretty nice.

Just searched the OP pic with google ontap, was not disapointed

>blue yeti has a dac/amp

So your telling me a microphone has a dedicated dac and amp built in the mic. Sound like bullshit to me, its most likely just a regular line out.

>So your telling me a microphone has a dedicated dac and amp built in the mic. Sound like bullshit to me, its most likely just a regular line out.
It's not though, to correct the poster above the output impedance is 16ohms and the power output is lower than the E10K but the latency is far superior.

It's a quality headphone output with an analog volume pot.

>Budget
100-130 eur
>Location
Italy
>Source
iPod Classic
portable over/on ear
>Open or closed
open I guess, unless closed aren't too big
>Comfort level
Reasonable
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral/bassy
>Past headphones
AKG K-518, they are a little too bassy and a little uncomfortable, but they're great for portable use (reasonably small and they fold so that's something I'd like to have)

Sennheiser PX 100-II

they look like they won't isolate enough, no?

Does anyone else have the Monoprice Desktop AMP/DAC? I have one, and it works great with my 250 OHM DT 770s on GNU/Linux.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVVX2QW/

I have it set up so that some programs will always output out of my speakers, and some will go out of my headphones. When I switch the DAC off everything goes out of the speakers automatically, so I can switch it off if I am watching a movie with someone. When I switch it back on, my headphone programs come out of the DAC again. That was one thing that always bothered me about windows, you can only set one default audio device.

PX 200-II

Didn't you say open in your post, kiddo?

I got HD 558s as a gift, only problem is that I have a been using a 6$ USB to audio thing from Amazon as a sound card. What should u replace it with? Do I even need to replace it? People recommend an E10k, but that's pretty expensive as a college fag. I was also looking at a Xonar DG, or the behringer uca202, but someone said the 202 won't supply enough power. Any other suggestions?

>Didn't you say open in your post, kiddo?
I did, unless closed are too big (the akg are small enough, and the px200 are, too).

any other alternatives I could choose from?

Do I win?

>using a proprietary audio player

>best audio player out there

I bet you get mad when you have to stand in line for your welfare check.

What?

pretty sure nobody has even got the 3D81F's
we were only discussing them yesterday or the day before

hybrids are better than pistons too.

Hybrids/Soundmagic E10//Senfer UEs [worst to best]
ask /csg/ too, sometimes they find weird shit

>>hybrids are better than pistons too.
absolutely wrong

>Budget
~$150
>Location
US
>Source
Laptop, Have been using USB but if i can find something with my phone too thatd be nice
Closed over ear, gaming
>Comfort level
mid, high
>Preferred tonal balance
bassy, warm, mid-centric
>Past headphones
for gaming Ive been using Razer Kraken 7.1 for 5.5 years, which are now falling apart. Ive been told that recently razer has gone to shit, so im open to getting some other brand. For music I experimented with House of Marley and some Beats that i found at a garage sale

It's freeware, retard.

I donated to the open source player I use, though.

unless you want flat response which i think the v2 had [correct me if i'm wrong], im right
its the same as pistons without that treble peak

>unless you want flat response which i think the v2 had
wrong again.
>its the same as pistons without that treble peak
it's the same as pistons with non-existant response behind 500hz, the midrange and treble absolutely disappear.

kek poorfag.

>open source meme
>using inferior software because you can access the source code which you can't even interpret because you're a tech illiterate poser
Cred Forums, everyone.

Dont call me a kiddo fucking ass >;(
>arguing over chick 15-25 dollars IEM

Highlight of my day.

>behind
beyond*

>frogposter
back to 9gag

I thought summer was over

>soundstage
>real

What are some low budget headphones? I just want to listen to drone and my last headphones stopped working. Thanks.

Post budget.

For me low budget is $5000 and under :^)

$70-100

MDR-7506
MDR-V6
HD419
XPT100
M40x
Creative Aurvana Live!

SHP 9500's

If you can get to HD 558's think it was 109 on amazon then the comfort will be a lot higher, and have a tiny bit more clarity in the highs, and be slightly warmer.

Takstar Hi2050's if you aren't really willing to spend that much on either. Sound a lot better than they're worth.

Closed you can go for MDR V6's, ATH-M40X's with a pad change, and XPT100's
probably some other options too.

Thank you, I'll check them all out.

>Budget
~$60
>Location
US
>Source
Galaxy S7 phone, whatever computer I'm on at work
IEM, earbuds
>Comfort level
as long as they're in-ear
>Past headphones
Currently have those cheap monoprice ones everyone loves

was thinking MX475s or CX300s but idk

Doesn't the S7 come with earphones?

>If you can get to HD 558's think it was 109 on amazon then the comfort will be a lot higher, and have a tiny bit more clarity in the highs, and be slightly warmer.

got that sentence made no sense. fuckin 7am and haven't slept.
ill fix
HD 558's if you can reach for them. I think they were 109 USD on amazon. The comfort will be a lot higher than the 9500's, have a tiny bit more clarity in the highs, and be slightly warmer.

and open will always have more opportunity than closed.

not sure, I literally just ordered it. regardless I'd probably want better-quality/sounding ones no?

yeah the s7 comes with sort of those apple style ones. not sure how good they sound, but i can't imagine that they'd be that amazing.

It does, but it barely has any bass.

Beats by Dre. Fill out the form fag.

I feel at $60 you're not gonna get a substantial upgrade Anyway:

theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

Australian shitposters are the worst. Goto sleep.

sleep is for weak cunts

Any decent dac/amps in the 150~ range that have RCA out?

Go to bed, Ambien.

Magni 2 amp has rca outputs

please refer to

Thanks guys, I'm feeling like going for the M40x, possibly even M50x, though supposedly they don't have outstanding bass, so that could be a deal-breaker.
Sorry, I forgot.

M50x has boosted bass, it's probably what you want. M40x is closer to a flat response bass.

M50x is over your stated budget but it's a safe choice.

DT 770s sound perfect for you.

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NL5SM/

Anyone buying a DT770 should get the 80 ohm limited edition variant. It's just superior. Superior black velour earpads, more efficient, straight cable.

I think this was a pretty good read, lots of info for anyone new to headphones

If you're spending M50x money, consider the DT770 Pro 80 ohm limited edition.

Any good lightning IEMs?

Audeze?

does it sound good? then you don't need to replace it

I'd love a magni 2 but it's a bit overkill for a DT770 80ohms and then I'd need the modi 2 so I'm looking at 250-300$ to get a dac/amp

Okay, thanks, then that's pretty much settled.
Maybe not so settled then, I'll check these out too then. Thanks guys.

Don't get the m50x's. The bass somewhat muddy, and the highs are sharper than the m40x's [painfully sharp imo]

For either, you WILL need an earpad change, unless you want to be the most uncomfortable human alive.

Massdrop often has decent replacement pads, check if there are any drops up for em. If not ebay/aliexpress/online headphone stores can help.

What this user said. Some find the highs ever so slightly sharp, but I don't find that to be the case, but it's borderline. some felt fixes that fine.
comfy as fuck, and durable as fuck. cable is the only issue as it's not detatchable. well stress relieved though.

it'd be a massive step up from your razer garbage.

and don't bother with that stupid Marley shit, or most of that heavily marketed mainstream consumer stuff. even from a garage sale. the bass blows out mids and fidelity, not what you want for vidya.

Do you know the output impedance of the unit?

You don't need the Modi 2 ya dingus.

>Don't get the m50x's. The bass somewhat muddy, and the highs are sharper than the m40x's [painfully sharp imo]
>For either, you WILL need an earpad change, unless you want to be the most uncomfortable human alive.

I've read this in every review, I'll pass then.

I'm now looking at the DT770 Pro 80 ohm even though they're a lot over the initial budget. I'm just wondering if they're not an overkill for my completely basic sound card.

meh i'll just post the one i already made

check the headphonelist and the Cred Forums IEM recommendation pastebin, though the pastebin is outdated.

What sound card?

amazon.com/dp/B01ERLN180/

It gets powered fine by anything really.

That is the one you want, not the one linked earlier. The limited edition has black pads which don't discolor like the regular pads.

my soundcard is a little spotty, I hear getting a dac on your desk and not in the machine gets rid of some of the problems onboard sound can have.

I was also looking at the e10k but I've heard mixed things

If you can stretch for the 770's, I'd say go for it. I didn't have any issue driving them from my laptop and phone. Ohms don't actually give you that much of an idea of what can and can't drive them.

>spotty

How so? Elaborate in detail.

amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI

Here's a good affordable DAC, not suitable for driving headphones to their full potential but as a line out it's flawless.

the ath msr7s are incredible neutral headphones the bass is tight the mids are clear and the highs are very well balanced. They are basically a step up from ath m50x's

Where I live (Czech rep) I can only get this version
>Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm
hopefuly that's acceptable. Thanks for the tips guys.

anything is a step up from the m50x

That's the regular version, the limited edition is the same except it features black earpads.

You can't go wrong with the original edition either, it's just that after a few years the earpads get discolored and yellow.

>tight
>clear
>balanced

>>>/head-fi/

there's a weird static sound every once in a while, reeeeally light but if the volume is loud enough you can kind of hear it, just a little annoying. It's worst for my speakers because at normal volumes you can often hear it.

I know it's not my speakers or headphones because with other devices that problem doesn't exist. I've got a pretty cheap mobo with onboard it's all connected to now.

m50x's obviously arent the greatest headphones but the good for their price range.but if your looking for hi fi sound on a budget get grados they are incredible for their price

how is balanced a buzzword you retard

Well, I'm too not really a fan of the color of them, are they changeable? Probably not, but I don't have a problem with them becoming a bit discolored as I'm planning to only be using them at home.

One last thing, are they comfortable for 4+ hour sessions?

fuck off

Okay, anyway, the UCA202 and the Magni 2 isn't a bad combo. Plus you get the pre-amp outputs on the Magni 2.

For a single unit:

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

It's comfortable unless you have a really giant head.

The earpads are changeable but don't worry about it becoming discolored, it's a long term thing.

okay, thanks!

The only thing an external DAC does is potentially remove interference noise from other computer components. Most newer motherboard DACs are fine in this regard, and you need some really high sensitivity headphones to hear it.

Behringer and SMSL make some good cheaper alternatives to the cheaper Fiios. I doubt you'll notice much, to be honest. I've even had external DACs with more noticeable noise than my internal one.

Try turning your headphones up with no sound and some quiet sounds [depends on how your drivers work] and if you can't hear anything when music it at a level where its painful to listen to, you shouldn't have any issue.

And there is no difference between the regular 770 80 ohms and the special edition in terms of sound or build quality, just aesthetic and the earpad issue another user mentioned. I wouldn't worry though if I were you. Replacement earpads are everywhere. Headband can be replaced too.

They're plenty comfortable. I can wear em all day. I've got a fuckin melon of a head and big ears. Only thing more comfortable that I own is HD 600's, which are something else entirely.

They're not though. There are a multitude of headphones that sound much better for the same price. The only thing that is decent about M?0X's is the removable cable and adequate build quality.

Would you suck a dick for a pair of HD800s?

LCD-X maybe

amazon.com/Micca-OriGen-High-Resolution-Preamplifier/dp/B00V7K5UJI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444432963&sr=1-1&keywords=micca origen&linkCode=sl1&tag=zeos-20&linkId=743c6ae38005dd35e252c1a2dc8fc1d7

Anyone use this? hear it's good even if it's ugly as fuck. Should I stick to the memes and get e10k?

>DT 770
the problem is that i need a mic along with whatever i get, and i dont really want to get a standalone mic

>being an icuck

It's good, but I'd say no better than an e10k in terms of sound. Features might be a use to you.
Honestly, the SMSL M3 is a better option than both.

i already do for free, so yes

>SMSL M3
Is there a spec sheet where I can see output power and output impedance?

Can you 3d-print new ones?

How does the M3 compare to the e10k? Honestly I have nothing against the e10k my problem is that it outputs to both front and back if you have something plugged in so my speakers would play unless I turned the volume off even with a headphone. I have no power buttons on my speaker, it's just kind of a pain in the ass even if it is a minor issue.

I like that the origen has a switch, I'm assuming the M3 has some sort of feature for that as well

Buy real German made headphones, kiddo.

Jakkasu pls.

Can someone explain to me what a Pre-amp is? is it necessary for headphones or is it mostly for speakers? Do modern amp comes with built in pre amp?

Mostly for speakers, a 2nd output that allows you to change between headphones and speakers.

Not all comes with the feature.

I'd say get a desktop mic, but if you absolutely must, Hyper X cloud core is probably the best option if you want a headset in your budget. Their design is based on Beyerdynamic headphones, so they're built well. They're rebrandings of Takstar Pro 80, a damn good headphone. They sound double the price of what they're sold for.

Elsewise, you'd be looking at some of the Sennheiser headsets for equivalent sound quality to DT 770's, which are much more expensive than just getting any other microphone and 770's.

I still don't advise headsets, but I understand some people stick to their ways.

Other than that, you can get an antlion modmic, or a sony clip on [to your clothes], or a multitude of other options. They'll sound better than any headset mic.

Desktop mics are good and cheap, user. Why don't you want one?

Only for speakers.
Most speaker amps do both pre amp and power amp. Power amps usually do not come with volume control, it's the pre amp job.

>Desktop mics are good and cheap, user. Why don't you want one?

Not him but that shit picks up my keyboard when gaming.

that's not what a preamp is.

Could someone please help me out here? I just want to be comfy while working out.

Good sounding headset mics do the same, to almost the same degree.
Don't forget you can put desktop mics on boom stands too.
Shotgun mics can also eliminate this.

MA750

NEW THREAD

what kind of sound signature you are looking for, v-shape, neutral, bassy, treble piercing rape, etc? What music genre?

I like coiled cables better, and I like the looks of the silver earpads much more.

Also, my galaxy s5 can power my 250 ohm dt 770s just fine.

I have a Samson Gomic, and as long as I don't have it resting on my keyboard it does not pick it up much. It also sounds nicer than a headset mic.

monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11567

Specs from monoprice site:
USB DAC 96 kHz, 24-bit
Output Power ≥ 900mW (32Ω loaded)
≥ 150mW (300Ω loaded)
Headphone Impedance Range 16Ω ~ 600Ω
Signal-to-Noise Ratio ≥ 100dB (A weighted) (AUX IN)
Distortion < 0.003% (AUX IN)
Frequency Response 20Hz ~ 20kHz
Fixed Line Out < 2V rms
Adjustable Pre-out 0 ~ 6V rms
Power Supply 15 VDC, 2A

Uh, that all goes way above my head. I listen to a lot of genres, mostly weeaboo shit.

Thank you, I'll check those out.

It's 10, not stated there.

>Also, my galaxy s5 can power my 250 ohm dt 770s just fine.
To deafening levels?

>[painfully sharp imo]
they're v-shaped but not beyerdynamic-tier highs

always found them tolerable imo

You win the bad image scaling award, faggot.

Only beyer's ive used that aren't sharp as fuck are the 770's
though I find the m50x worse than all Beyer's i've used.

Antlion Mod Mic

It gets up to uncomfortable listening levels. Not nearly as loud as it gets with my desktop amp though.