Holy Shit...

Holy Shit. I was using Linux because I was told by one of my classmates at the local community college it's the only way to get real programming done. He installed it on my new laptop, it didn't work, and then reinstalled it, and I had been using for my intro class. My hard drive crashed and IT replaced it and installed Windows.

Wow...
>visual studios is the best IDE ever, just hit compile
>code completion, something gedit lacks
>my screen doesnt tear when I watch movies
>my battery life doubled
>i can use microsoft office
>itunes for my iphone

windows love thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

thezog.info/list-summaries/
jrbooksonline.com/PDF_Books/jewishsupremacism.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>running windows 10
>great window manager
>great stability
>hundreds of high-quality professional programs including Altium, Labview, Visual Studio and Microsoft Office
>great battery life on my thinkpad

I actually don't like Windows at all, but VS is objectively the best IDE I have ever used, with IntelliJ in a close second. Linux + Vim doesn't even come close to my productivity level when I'm using one of the above.

I know that feel, OP. The retards in my Python class use Mac. Fucking hipster faggots.

Holy shit. You can't be serious.

Windows is a cuck OS.

Visual Studio is a fisher price toy for kids who don't know how to code.

This is coming from someone who uses windows every day.

>install Windows 10 on my 3500 dollar Dell work laptop
>Windows Update installs buggy trackpad drivers that fuck up after 30 minutes of use
>automatically reinstalls them if I try to get rid of them
Win10 for lyf. Why the fuck would I bother with a legit Windows install again? The only fucking reason I got it was for security updates, but if I can't even use the fucking thing without turning updates off there's no point.
>dur use some hackjob method to "hide" the update!
It still installs. I even used Microsoft's magic hiding utility.

my company was on mac, but was acquired and i was forced into switching to windows. visual studios is objectively the best coding tool in a modern developers arsenal.

>self-hating winfag for you

dont hate windows just because you can't use it

Slit your retarded friend's throat for installing incompatible distro. Neck yourself for not doing your own research and being wise enough to learn how to dual boot or install any distro in a vm

kill yourself for falling for the bait

if a cs student in unable to install a simple operating system, then the operating system sucks

My company makes us use VS and everyone hates it. Management only makes us use it because of a contract with MS.

Sometimes code completion and copy/paste will jut stop working and it won't work until you hard restart VS (which usually requires a reboot).

Plus it takes up nearly 60gb installed and it's a slow piece of shit.

Vim opens up large projects in an instant. When I start VS I go make a cup of coffee.

I use VS everyday btw, thats how I know how much it sucks.

>dont hate windows just because you can't use it
Nice. You can't even choose which fucking updates to get anymore with the dumb fuck metro interface for Windows Update now. To top it off, the dumb faggots at Microsoft are actively patching out workarounds for preventing the heap of shit from installing buggy drivers for you.

Visual Studio is a buggy mess.

Also: The MS developers who make VS don't code in VS or even on Windows. They code on OS X and Linux and use text editors.

Using a mouse has been found IN STUDIES to be faster than keyboard combinations.

We save time because we actually have to get work done and the small loss of time waiting for VS to open is worth it.

>struggle for years teaching myself to code
>using Gentoo Linux because Cred Forums told me to
>5+ years of my life spent ricing and trying to re-invent the wheel with Scheme and C because everyone says they're the real programmers' languages
>everything is painful and nothing just works
>lose weeks compiling and trying to work around my hardware
>desktop eventually breaks because my OC'd amd/amd rig broke 100C compiling firefox
>laughinggirls.png
>enough.png
>go out and buy a new laptop
>Windows 10, eww
>Wait, lets just see how all this "bloat," works and laugh at it
>....
>omg its actually good
>everything just works
>clean install, even better
>motherofgod.png
>go to MSDN, get VS, find tons of tutorials on how to code too
>months later, making more progress learning coding than in the five years before
>Actually build something with a GUI interface using C#
>imreallydoingthis.png
>start going to the gym, get /fit/
>continue with learning and lifting for two years
>get a nice job doing back-end with C#
>get married to a nice girl
>three kids
>picket fence
>muscle car
>lifeisgood
All because I stopped listening to the lincucks and embraced software that actually works.

Don't be a meme Cred Forumsentoomen, live your life and don't let autistic lemmings get you stuck in the rut that is Linux.

nano is the best IDE there is on Linux. You fell for the vi meme

The studies didn't compare vim users and VS users. They took people who were already proficient with the mouse and asked them to learn keyboard shortcuts.

Once you learn vim you become exponentially faster. If this wasn't true vim would be abandoned by now. It's one of the oldest yet still one of the most popular editors.

I'm very serious. Windows is a botnet, but VS is hands-down better than even the best text editor setups I've used in my twelve years as a dev. And yes, I had an extensive rc well suited to the work I was doing before.

At least come up with realistic lies

>everything just works

plese

I use windows daily but even I admit Linux is generally better.

Linux generally breaks.

>VS is hands-down better than even the best text editor setups I've used

It's not though. It's nearly 60gb installed and doesn't offer much more than a good text editor. It's not better just because they have a button for every action. In fact that makes it worse.

Good luck getting a programming job if all you know is VS.

You're thinking of Windows.

VS breaks all the time. Code completion will just stop working and so will copy/paste.

"VS is just better see here I can just press build and I don't even have to know what's going on. Oh did the build process screw up again, I'll just get one of the Linux guys to fix it!"

This is why VS monkeys don't get paid as much.

>It's nearly 60gb installed and doesn't offer much more than a good text editor.
You'd have to be stupid to think that the size mattered or that it was little better than a text editor. It's incredibly feature rich.
>Good luck getting a programming job if all you know is VS.
Good thing I used Vim for ten years and numerous other IDE's and editors. If VS begins to suck, so be it, but right now it's great and I use it daily at work.
>You're thinking of Windows.
I'm thinking of Linux' perennial driver issues and breakage around all the DEs.

Visual Studio hides too much from the developer and they make it unnecessarily difficult to debug build issues.

As a developer your job is to get your hands dirty, you'll never get paid more than 25k/year just pressing buttons.

It's like claiming you're a good at fixing cars because you have a good mechanic. YOU aren't good, the mechanic is. You're nothing like a mechanic.

>modern tools make you a bad mechanic
Lincucks actually believe this.

Windows and Visual studio are too buggy to use as a development environment.

If Windows was really a good dev environment, they would not have added a Linux subsystem. The fact that MS has been forced to include an entire Linux ABI on top of Windows is basically them admitting that Linux is a better dev environment, else they wouldn't have bothered.

Windows is so bad that instead of fixing it you have to deal with the bloat of running two operating systems.

Having robots do everything doesn't even make you a mechanic.

If robots are capable of doing your job, you don't have a job anymore. Better get used to working on robots.

After I installed Visual Studio my SSD was almost out of space and Windows became slow as shit.

I uninstalled it but there were a bunch of files left over (over 40gb) and I couldn't figure out how to remove them. I ended up reinstalling and just using notepad.

What's a good Linux distro?

>those wasted trips
The only kind of programming I'd consider doing on windows would be C#.NET and thankfully there are plenty of other ways to learn and make good money programming.

For all I know you're just trolling with shit bait, but on the off chance you are being truthful-ish I commend you on getting your life together. That said, I think if you had mastered Java on Linux you would be making more money now. :^)

>just hit compile
FUCK YOU

Visual Studio:

>Bloated as fuck, both in terms of actual resource usage and in the complexity of its user interface
>Compatibility issues with the latest C and C++ standards (still can't into SFINAE, extended constexpr and variadic templates, which gcc and clang have had FOR A FUCKING WHILE)
>Can't really into cross compiling
>Many open source libraries build somewhat with MinGW toolchain, but not at all with MSVC

For what it's worth, you can get code completion in other IDEs, like QtCreator, which runs on Linux. I recommend not using an IDE at all, however, because they have a tendency to heavily abstract away the build process.

If a CS student is unable to install Ubuntu, that student is retarded. If that CS student tried installing Arch on a beginner's laptop, he is equally retarded.

Community college, everyone.

I'm not partial to Visual Studio but I love Windows. I use Eclipse for Java coding.

As a windows user I hate to admit it, but Linux people get paid way more than us on average.

Personally I always move the applications that mention Linux to the top of the stack. Those guys usually know their stuff. The Windows people can't program without a crutch (VS).

After reading this thread I've determined that OP is a troll and VS sucks.

Thanks OP. I'm never going to use VS now.

>unnecessarily difficult to debug build issues
It literally makes a list of shit you fucked up that you need to fix to make it compile. If you actually think the debugger is worse than anything from Linux then you can just go and fuck around with gdb and manually print out all the fucking source code before you can debug the fucking thing.

You mean Windows shill thread

See this is why I don't think VS people know what they're talking about.

Retard

This is a Windows shill thread. They shill VS and VScode on Cred Forums, plebbit, hackernews, and a bunch of other shitty sites.

>using gedit for programming
>having "IT" replace your hard drive instead of doing it yourself
You sound like a retard. Why should I take tech advice from a retard?

If this isn't a shill post I'll suck my own dick.

(((((YOU)))))

You know, it wouldn't even be that bad if these would be removed by the mods. But oh no, they stay here for at least half a day

>great battery life on my thinkpad

Why can't Linux get this right?

Because modern batteries have a chip that can be used to control discharge. There is a kernel to userspace NAT that controls the battery symmetry on behalf of applications. Linux's is called Unix, an old and outdated system, whereas Windows is based on a more powerful DOS.

>right click + copy/paste is faster than ctrl+c/v
bullshit

This entire post is weapons-grade bullshit.

People realize all anti-Linux posts are shill posts right? You would have to be retarded not to.

>mods
>on Cred Forums
lol

Can't tell if trolling or just retarded

I'd suggest starting with something easy to install and beginner friendly - maybe Ubuntu or Mint? Have fun with the Linux, user!

>People realize all anti-Linux posts are shill posts right? You would have to be retarded not to.

These anti-Linux shill posts are funded by many but not all of the people on this list (obviously Google and FB are pro-Linux, but this list includes all Microsoft and Apple execs as well as banking firms and other businesses that have investments):

thezog.info/list-summaries/

Also, if you want to know how the people on this list got to be where they are, start reading at page 12 in this book:

jrbooksonline.com/PDF_Books/jewishsupremacism.pdf

I'm a jew and I love windows.

gas the skypes meme war now

I started programming with VS but I'm trying to make to text editors and I was wondering how do you start a project and use it something like Atom, vim, Sublime? An IDE takes care of linking all the classes together (even user created ones), has templates for classes, interfaces, etc. How can I make my text editor do those things?

usualy the programming language includes a cli tool to build an inital development environment in your current folder

I'm currently stuck with Winblows because I need to complete a C# class.
>Can I use mono develop
>No
>Why? Are we learning the Visual Studio IDE?
>No
>...okay

You don't even fucking understand how programming works you pathetic little cuck holy shit fucking off your self

>implying DOS is more powerful than Unix
The initial version of DOS didn't even support directories, despite coming some 20 years after Unix. It's the JavaScript of operating systems.

>5 years using C
>still can't program

Why do NEETs like windows?

Yup, Windows is just plain objectively better than Linux in nearly every way.

It's really pathetic the little autistic bubble Linux users here live in.

They show up plenty fast when there's a desktop thread but for some reason home screen threads are fine. Mods are autists confirmed.

Only OS I ever had trouble with was Gentoo, and that was only because I didn't have enough patience to figure out how to get the bootloader working. And I think UEFI was enabled too.

Post studies. I use VS Code and IntelliJ, but I don't believe mouse faster than the keyboard.

It's more like 1 and a half. Syscalls are handled through Windows.

Where can I sign up as a shill?

You know Windows already has Linux.

Disable automatic driver updates from Windows update

>Plus it takes up nearly 60gb installed and it's a slow piece of shit.
What. There's no way that's true.

>VS can't possibly be that bloated or bad Cred Forums autism as usual
>try to install it
I apologize for doubting you.

I can confirm, I'm using VS Community for an Hybrid app I'm making using cordova & ionic on my personal machine.

I thought I would install VS and it would make it easy right so I checked all the mobile dev shit and it was like a 30 gb install.

It is sluggish at start up. Takes 1-2 minutes to start VS and another 1-2 minutes to get into my project.

When I was using VS at school it could take 5+ minutes to start.

Well, I don't use Visual Studio at all, specially because I don't code complex programs. Just little projects on C and C++, and I code on Visual Studio Code, for Windows, Linux and OSX (because of my VM's) and I compile from cmd and bash.

Turn off automatic driver installation in devices and printers.

It depends on how much you install. With all the bells and whistles I think it's about 65gb.

The only reason it's not open source is because they stole a whole bunch of code from other projects and just jammed everything together to make it work. That's why it seems so un-optimized and takes up so much space.

>windows solution to one faulty driver is disabling driver updates entirely

Sounds like user error. Sorry Windows isn't suitable for autists.

The whole point of GNU/Linux desktop is that you sacrifice convenience so you can benefit from software freedom.

If you prefer proprietary software there is no shame in running Windows, in fact better people use Windows than pollute FOSS with closed source crapware.

why is it always jews?

why is Cred Forums always right?

>shill

When do I get paid?

Remind me about how all professional software is written with fucking VIM again

ITT: Fizzbuzz pajneets trying to tell professional coders their tools are worthless cuz u can just rite hello world in nano kek

It's actually a fact that most MS devs use vim and emacs on unix/linux.

>professional
>visual studio

pick one.

VS is literally made to be a toy for teaching kids how to code. Not even the developers of VS use VS.

Care to explain?

I plan to switch away from Windows after this computer.

Windows has gone to shit.
I'm probably gonna only use it for school work and stuff, but have FreeBSD or something similar as my primary OS.

Visual Studio has got to be the worst high-tier IDE I've ever used.
Notepad++ is great for web, but Code::Blocks is great for C/++
If I could fucking get NetBeans to compile something other than Java without fuckign issues, I'd probably consider that over C::B, though, because it loads faster.

Windows is less stable than I remember it ever...

Well VS is now mostly C# so, yes, they probably use VS to write VS. I agree its shit tho

>Windows is less stable than I remember it ever...
That's because they never deprecate anything and just keep shoving more """""features""""" in.