500 € for the 2GB version

>500 € for the 2GB version
Why is this so bad? I can't believe people think Apple is overpriced when this shit exists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Z66ni05ZroA
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra.73755/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

believe it or not user, this is actually a little cheaper than an iPhone, about 200 dollars cheaper, in fact
smartphones only cost 200 dollars or less because of the contract
if you buy one outside of a contract or directly from the manufacturer you're gonna expect to pay 400 at the cheapest to 800 at the most expensive
this really doesn't surprise me that much

Are you seriously trying to argue that 500 euro for that turd is good value?

>extremely low volume niche product
>cheap
pick one

the more you make, the cheaper it is to make them individually, something like this can't compete with something like the iphone in price, the volumes are far too different

hell no, it's stupidly overpriced
i'm just not surprised and it's on par with smartphones is all

I paid 150CAD shipping in for my phone and it has a 5-inch screen, dual sim, SD card slot, octocore processor, and 2GB RAM. A keyboard does not increase cost threefold.

The reason is costs so much is because it's a niche market and the manufacturer needs to recoup R&D costs.

What R&D goes into slapping a keyboard on a chink tablet?

>A mass produced product from a huge company has better value for money than a niche product from a micro company.

Who would ever expect that.

>oversimplifying this much

What's the point of these devices when you can just use a light laptop? So much useless garbage on the market atm all of which a decent laptop can do at once.

Why can't Cred Forums into economies of scale?

Also, anyone here buying a GPD Win is a massive faggot. Pyra is much better

>arm cpu
absolute horse shit

if thats what you want get an nvidia shield. there's literally no fucking excuse not to

now we wait for the "muh angry birds processor" guy to show up. he's in every pyra thread.

serious question: why do you think it's better?

the GDP win will literally just play more games and have better performance

whats with the autism about an overpriced, underpowered gaming device that is total trash at gaming?

But an iPhone has much better hardware. You can't compare that dual core piece of shit to an apple a9 or a10

The sole fact that the GPD uses x86 already makes it better.

I don't play the lastest 3d games, which will most likely be shit on the gpd anyway because of its terrible cooling. GPD overheats like a bitch according to testers.

I play mainly older games and dick around on linux (yes I'm a freetard)

Also, the keyboard on the pyra is vastly superior according to every reviewer so far.

Without a good keyboard, a UMPC form factor is pointless

>Desktop metaphor on tiny screen.

Why did anyone think this was a good idea.

>I don't play the lastest 3d games
neither will anyone on the GDP win
>I play mainly older games and dick around on linux (yes I'm a freetard)
which the GDP is still better at
>the keyboard on the pyra is vastly superior according to every reviewer so far.
first good reason

still, it's almost twice as much and still a piece of shit

an nvidia shield is much better for gaming, and a blackberry a much better UMPC

y'all need some ms-dos in your life

GPD is shit at running Linux
Blackberry OS is also shit

Why not Pocket CHIP?

>GPD is shit at running Linux

And that matters for gaming because...?

It's enthusiast hardware not mass-market.

But smartphones are dirt cheap compared to the value they provide, this thing is a pure scam.

Will it run Linux or other x86-compatible system?

>Pocket CHIP
That looks pretty nice
Tell me why it's shit Cred Forums

>The palmtop runs for about 30–40 hours on two size AA alkaline or Ni-Cd rechargeable cells and can charge batteries (both Ni-Cd and NiMH) via a 12V DC wall adapter.
Can't say if it's bullshit, but it sounds AWESOME. What's the secret of long autonomous life?

>ARM

Might as well buy a controller/kb for your android smartphone.

Because the os (debian variant) has to be re-flashed if you want to use the board without the enclosure, and you have to use a chrome extension to flash it.
It's cute and cheap, but you won't do things that you can't already do on your smartphone.

op compares a company producing millions of consumer products using slave labor and evading taxes, to a niche product company. Well done.

My understanding is that it practically throttles the CPU down to zero between keystrokes. There's no backlight and the screen is a greyscale LCD, which probably helps. Onboard storage is battery-backed ram which should be less power to access than flash?

I've had a pair of AAs last a looong while, though I've never really timed it formally. having ethernet in the pcmcia slot or doing stuff over serial cuts its running time dramatically. I would guess that the most optimistic battery life estimates come from text editing with a program that doesn't do anything with the cpu in the background

>2gb
How would you even install an OS, let alone programs, on this thing? Are you pulling my dick, OP?
I might buy it though, it serves my comfy shitposting needs as well as my emulation itch.

>inb4 just get a pandora
Yeah, I would like to, but they're always sold out, and with the pyra being released, I don't think they'll come back in stock.

Except it doesn't. Applel phones are terrible.

>pyra has no speakers
Well what the fuck is the point of this?

>no speaker
Is this a joke?

youtu.be/Z66ni05ZroA

The creator posted a run-down of the costs:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra.73755/

> 2 SD slots
> physical keyboard
> analog controls
> jack
> multiple USB ports
> eSATA
> HDMI

Why would you compare it to a phone?

Do you want to compare it to a laptop then? It's got worse hardware than even consoles.

I don't really get the point of the pyra. If you want to emulate old consoles, you can get something like pic related which costs a whole lot less than the cheapest pyra available. If you want something like a laptop, netbooks and ultrabooks have existed for a long time and they are probably even more powerful.

I get that it's niche but I can't justify getting it when it costs at least 595 euros and that is for the 2GB RAM model that doesn't support 3/4G and GPS. You could easily get an ultrabook for such a price. Is there something that I'm missing?

It doesn't look as fedora as your pic.
Has a full physical keyboard.
Runs a full-featured GNU/Linux system.
Upgradable CPU and memory.
Tons of ports.

You are going to buy an ARM chip and upgrade it? Ok.

this is the same excuse that pops up, having to lug around extra hardware defeats the purpose of a portable device to be portable. Those game controllers I'll agree with you are a great alternative but....for the right price...you can get something like the pyra or the windows one.

That's not any less portable than the Pyra.

But it's much smaller.
There's simply nothing to compare it to.
Now, you might have no use for it, and good for you. But don't compare apples and oranges.

Not small enough to be portable, not large enough to be useful. There's a reason no one's making devices in that niche.

>cheaper than a high-end smartphone
>way higher utility
I don't see what's so bad.

It fits in a pocket. It's smaller than my current phone.
>inb4 muh thinness for my skinny jeans

Isn't the whole point of these things that they are tiny but full-featured computers, instead of gimped touchscreen shit? Also keyboard on the gpd looks much nicer.

the argument is ergonomy, not portability. the controller in the OP looks like it would cause heavy strain.

>2010 hardware
>marginally cheaper than flagship phones
>(((utility)))
I don't see what's so bad.

>It doesn't look as fedora as your pic.

You probably don't care about how fedora it looks if you want to use such a device in public

>Has a full physical keyboard.

So do netbooks/ultrabooks

>Runs a full-featured GNU/Linux system.

Same as above

>Upgradable CPU and memory.

Most netbooks/ultrabooks lack that but I doubt that anyone will find a compatible SoC that actually has performance better enough to call it an upgrade.

>Tons of ports

A netbook/ultrabook also has multiple usb 3.0 ports, a video output, a card reader, an audio jack and a sata port in addition to those, which is something the pyra lacks.

Don't get me wrong. It really looks interesting but I can't justify buying it when it costs 595-745 euros. You could get a netbook/ultrabook for that price and the fact that it's just an SBC stuffed in a case makes this even more embarrassing(you can get a bananapi-M3 for $74 which also has 2GB RAM and a fucking octa core CPU). You shouldn't even consider this device if you are just looking to play gaymes anyway.

I hope they keep the clear case.

Fuck your scaly shit, EvilDragon

>what is economy of scale

It does anything a linux laptop does, which is more than any smartphone.
I mean I get that it's underpowerd but specs are not the most important thing for actually getting shit done.

>netbook/ultrabook
completely different form factor

>bananapi-M3 for $74 which also has 2GB RAM
That's higher volume, produced in chinkland instead of Germany, and uses cheap chink Allwinner SoCs instead of an OMAP.
...and it's also not an UMPC

It actually works pretty well. I use Windows XP on a 4.5" screen all the time.

No, you're just fucking retarded.

>It's got worse hardware than even consoles.
I'd fucking hope so.

It's more than small enough to be portable. That thing's about 10% smaller than a Game Boy and I used to carry one of those fuckers in my pocket every day

I have one. Ironically it makes for a better mobile linux terminal than as a gaming device. The buttons are shit, but the WM is pretty customizable to put some useful functionality into it.

>I use Windows XP on a 4.5" screen all the time.
What device?

>mobile linux terminal
Thought of getting one as serial terminal since it exposes its UART pins.
But fuck 20$ shipping to my country.

Vaio VGN-UX180P

Can you post your collection again?

What collection? This is the only UMPC I have.

>completely different form factor

Completely same price point

>produced in chinkland instead of Germany

I haven't heard of BPIs having issues so why would I care?

>uses cheap chink Allwinner SoCs instead of an OMAP

So what? It's more powerful.

>and it's also not an UMPC
>the fact that it's just an SBC stuffed in a case

I never said it was, I just said that the pyra is an SBC in a case. My point is that is that you could build a portable device around a much cheaper and more powerful SBC and the end product would still cost less.

Alright faggot lets see you build a cheaper device.

>same
indifferent*

>Completely same price point
smaller tech is more expensive
more news at 11

>My point is that is that you could build a portable device around a much cheaper and more powerful SBC and the end product would still cost less.
I've seen a lots of crappy diy RPi portables.
They ain't got shit on the Pyra.

>ad hominem
>hurr durr you need to be a writer to critisize books
wew lad

If a hobbyist with free time can do these, I bet the team behind the pyra can do it too.

>They ain't got shit on the Pyra.

I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that stuffing a more powerful and vastly cheaper SBC in the case of a pyra would be cheaper.

That thing is almost as large as the whole Pyra,
heat will become a problem,
and it draws more power alone as the Pyra (which is also powering its display, wifi, 3g, etc.)

And I forgot: much worse linux support, too.

fuck Allwinner

>That thing is almost as large as the whole Pyra,

>The Pyra is only 13,9 x 8,7 x 3,2cm
>Dimensions 92mm x 60mm

It could fit in the case of a pyra.

>heat will become a problem,

The a83t needs a heatsink but a small heatsink that isn't taller than the GPIO pins seems to be sufficient judging upon what I saw.

>and it draws more power alone as the Pyra

the M3 needs 2A@5V so I think it would be fair to say that it consumes 10W at its worst but that means that a 2.5 inch drive is connected to it. I couldn't found anything about the power consumption of an omap5 other than a video demostrating a e dev board pulling 05-0.6 amps while idling.

Linux support is not that good but it isn't that bad either. I could get hardware acceleration working on my first gen banana pi. You could still use a different SBC. It's not like there aren't a ton of other SBCs with better specs than the pyra.

>It could fit in the case of a pyra.
No it couldn't.
The ethernet plug alone is too high.

>The a83t needs a heatsink but a small heatsink that isn't taller than the GPIO pins seems to be sufficient judging upon what I saw.
The airflow will be much much worse when crammed inside the tiny pyra case.

>I couldn't found anything about the power consumptio
Learn to google, says 1-2W normal operation

>The ethernet plug alone is too high.

the pyra is 3.2cm thick when it is closed and let's say that the screen makes 1/3 of that number and the rest of the case is 2.13cm thick assuming that the ratio was correct. It could fit considering that a 2 stacked usb ports are approximately 1.5cm tall.

>The airflow will be much much worse when crammed inside the tiny pyra case.

A wider heatsink that isn't tall can fix that or you could use another SBC. The BPI was just an example.

>Learn to google
Google didn't brought up anything relevant. Again the BPI was just an example, there are other quad core SBC that still beat the pyra.

Perhaps I haven't worded myself clearly, I'm just trying to say that there are a ton of open source SBC projects, you can modify the board of one of them so that the ports fit, which is much cheaper than developing a board from scratch. Or you could find an SBC without stacked USB ports and use that. My point is using an existing design(or board for that matter) would make the thing much more affordable considering development is the main reason why it's expensive according to the team.

Yes let's ignore the battery, the keyboard, and everything else.

>The BPI was just an example.
Point me to a SBC with WiFi, 4g, esata, USB3.0, gps, removable processor board, ...

If your not too concerned about looks, size or spec, get a Pocket Chip. I got mine the other day, its pretty decent

I'll wait if it goes down to 50$ again.

What? It's better than anything from apple for 500$.

Oh has it gone up? I got it on preorder and forgot about it

Apple is still overpriced. And so is that piece of shit. Get a Xiaomi MiPad 2 for 200 dollar. Runs windows 10 and has an intel atom 8500.

Hell, lots of brands are pretty terrible and stupid people buy them anyway lik Samshit, Apple, Sony etc.

yeah it's 70$ now

yeh thats a bit much for what it is. No doubt it'll go down again soon

>what is economy of scale

Have you watched the whole video, idiot? It has speakers.

The gdp should be massively more powerful than the prya

>older games
>on linux

>pointless greentext

>world's first $9 computer
>costs $69

That's the PocketCHIP.
The CHIP is 9$.