Muh drivers

>running Ubuntu successfully for almost a year
>lol fuck wangblows this is great
>months later, see gtx 950 on craigslist for $50
>fuckyes.png, buy it
>replace old ass gtx 260 space-heater
>boot up Ubuntu
>pic related
Why does everything run like shit now? I literally get better performance from an 8 year old video card than this one that's a year old under Linux. Even after getting the current Nvidia drivers its still choppy as fuck.

Can someone explain this shit? Are better drivers coming soon? Do I need to add some kind of PPA? I wish I could just run intel graphics but no iGPU on my processor.

Cred Forums pls... I don't wanna install windows but I can't go back to my space-heater 260. This card is so much quieter. Why won't it work?

Other urls found in this thread:

kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/ubuntu
youtu.be/_36yNWw_07g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>ubuntu

ahahahha

>muh distro snobbery
kys google

Install Windows friend. Lincucks are just going to mock you. They know that their shitty OS has no driver support. They like it that way.

> If you are replacing an old Nvidia graphics card with a new Nvidia graphics card it should work with the existing graphics card driver, otherwise uninstall the existing graphics card driver before you put in the new graphics card, then after you boot with the new graphics card open the Additional Drivers utility (Dash -> Additional Drivers) and install the proprietary graphics driver from there.

have some stale pasta

Install Gentoo

I reinstalled Ubuntu, performance is the same with new noveau and NVidia drivers.

why do you need a really powerful GPU for linux? if people used linux for gaming thatd be a different story. but nobody does use linux for gaming. so im confused why you need the latest meme card.

Open driver vs closed? Open is built in, but doesn't support newer cards right away afaik. Could try to install the closed one, or use the restricted drivers thing. I'm not 100% sure this will work, haven't used Ubuntu in years.

Are you sure the choppy feeling isn't because you forgot to set the refresh rate to what you're normally used to?

>950
>latest
>meme
I bought it because the 260 was a space heater that was ready to fail. Didn't think a year+ old budget card was going to be too recent for support.

Tried both. The graphical lag is the same.

Listen to this OP. Windows just works. Stop listening to Cred Forums and get shit done. Life it too short to hack drivers together every time you upgrade something on your pc.

Time to try out debian or gentoo.

>gentoo

I had the similar problem when updated to fedora 24, the closed drivers for my gtx 970 get fuck up and now the refresh rate is shit, any recomendation?

i know your feel OP, got rid of my gtx760 for a 390 and havent been able to use linux since

it's right there in the sticky
I'm primarily a windows user myself but linux is great on older hardware

Install Windows

completely purge the old drivers and anything related to nvidia/amd that includes the kernel

Can't really spend a weekend figuring that out mid-semester user.

>buy $50 GPU
>runs like shit
>unironically surprised
>"s-see how shit Linux is everyone?!"

is the ubuntu iso you used the newest stable one? also might want to completely reformat the OS ssd before installing

ok, and then?

>buy expensive gpu
>runs like shit
Lincucks BTFO

I have a 390 and everything flickers like fuck

>new day
>new Linux driver thread
pottery

Why do people punish themselves with vaporware?

lol I have a 950 and it runs great under Windows 10. Too bad you had to be a special snowflake OP. I'm sure Stallman is proud of you or something.

Don't listen to these Wincucks, OP. Try this, dig out one of your old hard drives and install Ubuntu freshly on that with the 950 in your machine and see if it runs the way you expect. If it doesn't, you might have a bum card. If does run good, you know something messed up in your config on the original installation.

Sometimes changing video cards with Ubuntu can cause weird issues like this. That's just a part of it but don't give up and don't listen to the haters.

download drivers off nvidia

GET THE LATEST DRIVERS DUMBFUCK WINTROLL

>windows
better get latest nvidia drivers
>windows luser trying to use GNU
HURR DURR UUUUHHHHH WHAT

Well I wouldn't put it past an Ubuntu user to actually require it, but maybe they want to do GPGPU

>nobody does use linux for gaming
Just fuck off, Microsoft, you've lost. Get over it. For fuck's sake, I've never seen so much crying and butthurt from one goddamn company over their complete and total FAILURE.

kys
kys
kys
kys
kys
kys
kys
kys
kys

>gtx 950 on craigslist for $50
The cards probably fucked.

DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS
(You)

I LIKE COCKS TOO!

Make a USB linux boot disk and see if you get the same.

OP here

Put the card in my roommates computer running windows 7 to confirm it works. It does. I'm going to try the newest ubuntu instead of 16.04 LTS.

>the card isn't fucked
lol oh wow, I really didn't know how bad linux was until this thread. Good thing I'm on windows 10.

Please stop shitting up my thread.

Try arch.

kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/ubuntu

phoronix has a ppa with the latest graphics drivers, use that.

hahahaha all this mad
literally in tears

You're running linux. Why the fuck would you even care about performance?

It's like adding current gen CPU to 1990's Casio calculator. Total fucking waste.

When's ubuntu gon get good drivers

My 280x suffers under linux

>Can't really spend a weekend figuring that out mid-semester user.
>needs video performance

unless you are an graphics art major...nvm kys

What is the most compatible gpu for Linux

youtu.be/_36yNWw_07g

Is your life that void of content that you need to laugh at what other people use? Seriously? That's quite sad... hopefully you'll recognise that one day.

OP back again.

I got 16.10 installed, added the latest driver PPA and got performance back to acceptable levels. Still performs on par with or worse than the 260, but at least it isn't running hot and making tons of noise in the case.

Mission accomplished, kinda. Thanks googles.

>I get decade old performance out of my new card, but that is alright
hahahahahhaa Jesus Christ lincucks.

You should use a year-old mid-range card instead of the GTX 950. Maybe also try the most popular Debian-based desktop distribution instead of Ubuntu. And if you're looking for good performance, try the latest proprietary nvidia drivers instead of the most recent drivers available from the nvidia website.

>running Ubuntu successfully for almost a year
>lol fuck wangblows this is great

How come the most retarded loonix users are the ones who hate on Windows?

heil?

I'm an idiot. Didn't realize you could install the pre-release version of Ubuntu. I guess I should know this because I run stretch which is the upcoming version of Debian.

Really funny.