Meme speed

is Gigabit fiber internet a meme?

pic related FTTH 1Gb (1000/100) for $99.95 per month.

Can you really ever saturate a pipe this fat?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u7upxNswDBw
skynet.lt/internetas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My internet is 15.6 Mbps. That's about 200 KB/sec download speed. Costs ~$40/month alone. This is in one of the most populated cities in the US.

That is terrible.

love/hate living in the tech area

16000/8 = 2000
you have 2MB/s

With modern web technologies you can't saturate it. But that's horribly short-minded. When broadband first came out everyone thought it was pointless because a website was just text and could be delivered over 56 kbit/s seamlessly.

No one ever conceived video streaming until after broadband was widely adopted.

Similarly the proliferation of gigabit internet will yield new technologies previously undreamt of and impossible.

The same way videos are broken into pixels then compressed and streamed, I foresee converted 3D virtual spaces into voxels then compressing (with a modified H.265-ish spec) and streaming. Imagine streaming virtual realities. You could log into Virtual Netflix and instead of see a pre-recorded 360 video where you can't change the video, you see a pre-recorded 360 SCENE that you can walk around in and explore

Speed isn't the only improvement with fiber. Ping time is also improved, at least it was a lot for me when they installed fiber in my neighborhood.

youtube.com/watch?v=u7upxNswDBw

Here in O'Canastan that $99 will get you a quarter of that.

we have three 4k tv's connected to computers... not much content but you need many the bandwidths for that - i would kill for the Internets you have, would make the gigabit ethernets adapter worth $40

Download's pretty good and upload is shit.

Yeah it's a meme. I had gigabit in my downtown apartment and never really used it. Even torrenting 24/7 and watching Netflix 4K never ever got to max out the connection. Downgraded to 200/50 when I moved to the 'burbs, don't really miss it.

US doesnt have optic fibre infrastructure so he is going to get way less internet than intended

Are there any data caps?

>Similarly the proliferation of gigabit internet will yield new technologies previously undreamt of and impossible.

Maybe cloud services of all types of hardware will become mainstream

I am at my dad's house. I could just build a house out here on my grandpa's property without paying him. I don't want to because CenturyLink DSL is the only option and this is the speed. I'd rather live in town where I can get 60mbit cable from Charter. Seeing all the Comcast gbit billboards just as I was leaving Detroit was painful. I need some of that in my life.

>1000/100
Dropped

>that mobile signal strength

It improves a little bit when I shut wifi off. It's at least usable here which is more than can be said for Verizon.

Seems like we're already headed that way

>Maybe cloud services of all types of hardware will become mainstream
For what purpose? I'd argue we've reached a sort of limit, unless you're processing something incredibly heavy like MRIs or some shit the average user doesn't benefit.

No data caps. No port blocking. No bothering what-so-ever. No cease and desist, or MPAA/RIAA letters.

I can foresee Apple or Microsoft only selling displays with wifi card and then providing their products/services via cloud computing

I used to have 75/15 and I would get 2 m/s if I was lucky, cable really is shit.

It has only headed that way for business purposes not for mass services.

The biggest hurdle for companies that want to provide cloud computing services to the massess is that the masses have internet at shit speed on average

Have you ever been tempted to abuse it, like stream 4k videos all day?

I don't even know who is offering 4k Videos.

Honestly what happened was my ISP offered 25, 50, and 100 Mbps.

The redid their plans to 25,100,1000. So what I was paying for 100/10 I am not getting 1000/100.

Though, I do torrent a lot of shows, and we have multiple streams going on typically with hulu, netflix, prime.

The 100Mbps kept up fine.

now getting...

>I don't even know who is offering 4k Videos.

I thought netflix had some shows/movies in 4k. Doesnt youtube have ton of 4K videos too?

I have the ultraHD package.. I guess it streams in HD/4K if the device/pipe can allow it. But, I have 1080p monitors and TV.s

Netflix uses your screen resolution as its max resolution.

So if I connected a 8K monitor Netflix will stream in 8K?

Then all I am getting is FHD. All my screens ar 1080.

It is not worth the investment yet for 4k. Like 1080p once was, the price will plummet.

xxK content would have to be available, of course.

Are you stupid?

Well, here is my minimal setup for the 1Gbps line.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite 3
Ubiquiti Security Gatway Pro 4
TP-Link SG2424 Smart Switch
3 Ubiquiti UniFi AP's (2.4Ghz-N)
1 Unifi AC-Lite (2.54/5Ghz-AC)
Texas-Wifi 12 Port 24Volt PoE bar
Texas-Wifi 12 Port 48Volt PoE bar
Acer Aspire One Netbook for UniFi Controller (Ubuntu/ Unifi 5.2.2)

Wtf is wrong with my internet

I have ATT Gigapower

Hey that user said Netflix makes user screen resolution as max screen resolution

Care to elaborate?

Forgot pic

Nah, he said netflix reads your screen resolution and will offer videos in that manner. have a 1080p screen, get FHD, have a 2160p screen, get 4k.. etc.

I believe though - that it may be incorrect.

>Using wireless....

It's a SpeedTest bug. It happens whenever I test my LTE.

I pay for 150/15 and get 180/15. Better upload would be nice but let's be honest, most people will appreciate the downloads more,

Meanwhile in a post-soviet country:
skynet.lt/internetas

I would first assume it is a wireless issue. Connection speed negotiation, Wireless NIC/Chipset shitty...

Most ISPs will set your speed higher than the actual tier to account for overhead. Sometimes they 'fluff' the lines. Back in 2010 when I had fios, every tier was fluffed about 5 Mbps. Makes customers feel good. And ensures they typically will get what they pay for.

>Skynet

How many daughters do you have to give up?

Pajeet here, paying 1050 rupees a month (16 USD) for this speed. Funnily enough, my ISP used to advertise 40/40 for this but now they only advertise 40 download, and no mention of upload.

>A+
>Faster than 96% of Pajeetville
>39Mb/s

you forgot to mention data cap of 100GB

Well that's Internet in poo-in-loo land >:). A few years ago I used to live in a village that got 64 kilobits/s, feelsbadman.
Yeah, your speed reduces to 4 megabit/s after you hit 100GB.

Op here.

Well, about to go lay down in bed and stream some 4k with my roku4. With headphones connected to the remote that gets fucking lost in the bed, or keeps falling off the bed ripping the ear buds out my goddamn ears. Girlfriend is sleeping already.

Goodnight Cred Forumsents.

Unlimited NZD$79/mnth.

It's alright.

of course you can
also, i get it for 10 euros per month
why would burgerland charge 10 times more?

Thank you based europeans for seeding for us.

New Zealand will be getting gigabit in a week for those on the highest plans (Dunedin has had it since last year)

>Most ISPs will set your speed higher than the actual tier to account for overhead.

lol i feel like its excat opposite for me

wait a second i just noticed in app this result was in mbps and in that shared result its all of a sudden in Mb/s wtf?

im paying for 14mbps btw

Mb/s megabits per second

MB/s megabytes per second

I saturated your mom's fat pipe last night. With my dick

it's our pleasure
how are copyright infringement laws over there though? any letters in the mail about downloading shit?
we could even download a bear over here

CI letters and warning aren't a thing here. Closest anyone got to a fine or warning was when people were livestreaming over facebook NZ pay-per-view championship boxing.

The organizers got all pissy about it, but nothing came from it, and it all blew over in 2 days.

Only time I've ever heard about it was from university living in a halls of residence. All they'd tell me was data downloading total.

>"50GB in a weekend is a lot of data and it slows it down for everyone else"

I average about 33GB a day now. For 1TB a month. And the ISP (Vodafone) doesn't do anything. Why would they?

Why all of those things? Can't you just get a wire or something?

Bullshit. I get exactly what I pay for in the US. Still overpriced though.

that's because cable is shared with your whole neighborhood.
DSL is better in that regard but you will get shit speeds on that too if you live too far from the substation.

$35/mo

>how does cable and dsl work
read the fineprint, it's UP TO the advertised speed. see

As bad as 1/10th of the promised speed
Cuck off faggot

Not this user, but worth mentioning since it's South Korea:

I'm okay with this.
I love how the guy in the opposite block of mine has to use 10Mb max because their landlord is a stupid old "lady" and she straight up denied the upgrades.

Now everybody hates her.

forgot to mention it's about 10 USD/month

700/300 for $20, it's good to be living in eastern cuckrop.

£20.31/month...

I pay for 90/10

90/8 = 11.25 MB

I get 12+ MB download very often. I have cable. It is overpriced as shit though, fuck cable.

because burgerland and canada have monopolies that take advantage of tech illiterates

My ISP must be complete shit then. My speed test results usually fall around 68/12 but I've never gotten above 2 m/s download for anything.

lmao my internet is 6mbps and i get almost a megabyte per second download speed
in some bumfuck town in tennessee

Net virtua I see.

Yeah I realize it is "up to" everyone knows that, but other than very rare cases I get what I pay for.

I have Verizon unlimited Internet & landlines phone package of 75down/75up for 98$ a month.
fucking murder me, I've been tormenting a lot, so Verizon has been throttling my speeds nonstop these past 2 months.

torrenting

When my internet is fast, it can sometimes go up to 60MB of download speed, but when it drops, it gets VERY low (pic related). What could be causing this?

Also I'm paying about £35 a month.

Biggest downside to living in rural England.

I get over 80 Mbps on 5G WiFi consistently. 2.4G is about 60 Mbps, but that's due to the wireless adapter being cheap. On wired I get 100 Mbps. Upload speed is usually around 10 Mbps for WiFi and over 25 Mbps on wired.

I'm happy with it. Don't really have a choice as you guys are aware. However, I don't really have a need for internet that fast. I'd say it's more for business related things. Video games certainly. Torrenting no doubt.

I don't do any of this. My speed translates to 11 MB/s. 1000 Mbps would be 125 MB/s which will not be a noticeable difference in my daily tasks. I would definitely appreciate higher upload speeds. It's extremely annoying even uploading pictures at times.

I pay $100 a month as it stands so I'd love to have that type of value, but for most people, aside from value, it's a meme and just hype. Plus people don't know what Mbps versus MB/s means different things. All the normies I know believe it means you're downloading at 1GB/s... I'd LOVE to have THAT for $100 a month. You'd run out of storage before anything.

I assume you're on wireless. If you're on 2.4G change your channel. If you're on 5G you should be fine. Can't help with that. It's probably interference. Are you doing anything different during then? Could be a neighbor.

If you're on wired, get a better modem. Everything else is out of your hands unless you're getting attacked. Ask your ISP for a different IP. Changing your modem and router will probably help in general, but that's last case scenario.

Also get a better wireless adapter. One with an antenna. Just off the top of my head. I'm on mobile so can't give a full guide.

If you can't saturate a gigabit networking connection, you don't belong on Cred Forums

meh, it's alright for now.

I think it is, as LTE modems are already approaching 1gbps

>that image

*tips*