Why are Thinkpads memed so hard?

Why are Thinkpads memed so hard?
HP business laptops look much nicer and cost roughly the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-EliteBook-8560p-Notebook.55221.0.html
anandtech.com/show/4306/hp-elitebook-8460p-everything-but-the-screen/5
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2179635/hps-stumbles-scandals
youtube.com/watch?v=dCj7KKqyOSo
youtube.com/watch?v=tOFvk-FzTxQ
hothardware.com/news/hp-allegedly-time-bombs-unofficial-ink-cartridges-from-working-in-its-printers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because the keyboard is fucking trash for one

And they're sixty times worse. HP only makes laptops with their rectum

>Jewlett Packard

HP parts are harder to find.

Nice keyboard according to this review though. Nice try thinkshit shill.

notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-EliteBook-8560p-Notebook.55221.0.html

since we're having this thread I might as well ask my unrelated question

Anyone have a recommendation for a college laptop for me?
-light
-good battery
-thin and light
-basically a note taking / paper writing machine
-good keyboard / build
-hdmi port

I know I just described a macbook but that's out of my price range (around 500)

Should i just get a microsoft surface? Also should I steer clear of laptops with only SSD and no HDD?

Also I've only ever heard bad things about chromebooks, are they still as bad as people used to make them out to be?

Hp stream 11?

>modern HP
no thanks

I work at a computer repair shop

Literally fucking 75% of hardware failure related shit is HP. Their server grade shit is actually pretty nice, but everything below that is shit. Every fucking laptop has the fuckink shittiest hinges. The business ones have better hinges but weird random fucking proprietary parts sometimes and all sorts of fucking ass backwards design

DO

NOT

TOUCH

HP

only if you're autistic

if you're a normie (or even just not a total autist) and need a decent low performance computer then its pretty solid. My mom has one she loves it. I'd get one if all I needed to do was note taking and paper writing.

>Does not mention longevity
Most HP laptops over a year old have at least 1 key missing.
I don't think this will be an exception
Also enjoy your bloatware

>Literally one line about how well it types:
>The keyboard is comfortable to use.
Wow, you sure convinced me!

>he doesn't want a comfortable keyboard

No middle mouse for the trackpoint.

Speaking from personal experience.

My HP overheats, needs to be cleaned every six months or my parts melt. This wouldn't be an issue, but the way it's put together I need to take it to a repair shop because I don't have all those little fucking tools to open the shit up, to reach the cooler you need to disassemble like 80% of this piece of shit, instead of putting together two screws. All this wouldn't be an issue if the piece of shit wasn't so badly designed as to allow almost no fucking ventilation. It gets clogged Fast! And no, I don't live in a dump.

I also have a Lenovo, no fucking problem opening it up, changing the hdd to a ssd or cleaning the cooler, which I never did, because it never gets clogged, I open it up and it looks like new inside, no fucking dust at all.

I've heard almost exclusively good things about Chromebooks. It's just chromeOS that may not meet your needs. In that case, you have Crouton or even Gallium if you get one that's compatible.

Congrats. You work in the fast food of IT.

Business class machines are decent. Doesn't really matter who makes it (Dell, HP, Lenovo). They are designed to, and usually do, last the 3 - 5 year deployment cycle.

HP's have been largely the same for about the last 15 years. Dell has gotten better, Lenovo has gotten worse. Having managed about 4000 of each brand over about the last 12 years, it really depends on which toolset you've bought into. Dell's OpenManage (Can't think of HP's and Lenovo's atm) or whatever else.

Or use a different tool, like Altiris or SCCM, and give zero fucks.

*Server class is decent.

Business class is marginably better in build quality than general consumer stuff, but they make up for that by proprietary bullshit and generally frustrating design that NO OTHER MAJOR BRAND HAS AN ISSUE WITH

Which HP?

Mine is a pleasure to use, runs hot but doesn't overheat,and super easy to maintain.

One of those fancy ones with the swivel screen and stylus

My HP laptop overheated constantly and the keyboard and case started falling apart. It was incredibly difficult to service it - ended up scrapping it for parts. I am using the screen now as my desktop monitor (converted it to hdmi out with a chinese circuit board

HP is probably the most shit brand, not to mention everything HP has the same ugly look to it

their pointing stick is shit tier.

Which HP?

>chinkpad shills going full damage control mode

i have one of these bricks at work. specs are ok (quad core i5, 8gb, 480gb ssd) the keyboard is nice, screen is shit (768p lcd) but the bulk and weight are unforgivable.
as a rule, old thinkpads are much thinner but also tend to have a shitty screen.

hp's servers and switches are great and the only ones i'd ever consider, and their elitebook range of laptops are pretty nice.

Easier to find aftermarket parts, and there are more in the second hand market. On eBay there are usually 5-10 Thinkpads to 1 Elitebook, if not more.

That's hardly full damage control. They're also not unreasonable points. People in /tpg/ will talk about Dells and HPs. Thinkpads are just generally better.

I do love the look of that one though. What model number is that?

Pretty sure it's the elitebook 8650p

Sexy af, thanks user

>HP is probably the most shit brand, not to mention everything HP has the same ugly look to it
>And they're sixty times worse. HP only makes laptops with their rectum

>not unreasonable

Wow.

Ive had an elitebook 8460p for a main machine for 2 years and I bought it second hand. Build quality is great. Clit is unusable. Keyboard isn't the best (breaks but easily replaceable). Reasonable battery life. Overheats a little but not that bad due to metal casing. Overall it was a good purchase.

Tbh with you.
HP, Dell and Lenovo Business Notebooks are all great and high quality.
But the community around Thinkpads is a lot bigger (Thinkpad Wikis/ Forums etc), and so is the sparepart Support.

only linux users get any real use out of it

>Why are Thinkpads memed so hard?

They used to have a better keyboard, better build quality, and the pointing sticks are superior

Too bad that time is over

>keyboard brakes
How?

T60?

HP hasnt been bad in a decade.
Just because people hold a grudge from a bad year of laptops with bad batches of hard drives doesnt mean HP will be shit forever.

Not this fucking thread again, you were trying to shill for HP elitebooks but failed abysmally.

>HP
>nicer
shit company

The clits are still good. That's pretty much the only nice thing I have to say about ThinkPads of the last 5 years.

10/10 op

bought a t430 off ebay for $140 a few days ago, gonna give itsome extra ram.

Oh look, another corporation backing Shillary.

Fucking hell.

>no replies
Pretty much confirmed to be false flagging chinkpad shills.

>muh overheating HP
Not on their elitebooks you fucking idiots.
anandtech.com/show/4306/hp-elitebook-8460p-everything-but-the-screen/5

She doesn't plan to crash the economy, just freedoms that only matter to non-CEO citizens

so can you blame them

That's not what makes HP bad, the old guard of actual engineers that made HP so great are either dead drunk or plain dead now thanks to that woman. Somebody post the HP copypasta.

Oh wait I was thinking of Carly Fiorina, the woman that backed Lyin' Ted.

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2179635/hps-stumbles-scandals

Because thinkpads are a meme
For example the X220 and X230 are worse than the 2560/2570 in pretty much every way (X220 has a good keyboard at least).
Unfortunately newer Elitebooks seem to try and be ultrabooks and aren't like the older ones.

from what ive seen they cost between 1-1.5x the price of a comparable thinkpad
they lack the water proof keyboard thing
they look butt ugly
the keyboard nipple is terrible
and they run hotter than hell

They have the waterproofing keyboard thing last time I checked.
Also the review in confirms it.

>looks ugly
I think they look nicer but that's subjective

>keyboard nipple thing is terrible
People use that?

God damnit I almost took you seriously, but then I saw the overheating comment.

>from what ive seen they cost between 1-1.5x the price of a comparable thinkpad
not where I live
>they lack the water proof keyboard thing
they do
>they look butt ugly
opinions
>the keyboard nipple is terrible
it isn't? besides the glass touchpad is miles ahead of the thinkpad touchpads
>and they run hotter than hell
they don't, both are tested to military specifications

>People use that?
I won't use anything else.

Not waterproof, but spill resistant.

Also fuck you if you seriously eat or drink over your laptop.

youtube.com/watch?v=dCj7KKqyOSo
youtube.com/watch?v=tOFvk-FzTxQ

>cück syndicate
No thanks.

It's from when he worked for Tiger Direct

Why memed? Not being a regular visitor to this site, not really sure, the reason is probably a cultural assocation based on history.

In the nineties and early 00s, IBM (pre-Lenovo) ThinkPads had a reputation of being probably the most reliable and durable business laptops. Even the no-nonsense square black cases communicated a sense of "serious business" that a lot of geeks liked. ThinkPads were quite expensive, at least new, but they were built to last. Back in the days when Linux laptop was quite poor, ThinkPads also had a reputation of being easier to install Linux on than other brands (perhaps because geeks liked ThinkPads for the aforementioned reasons, so more people were putting effort into driver support, etc). The association with Linux strengthed as IBM became one of its first big corporate supporters, a big deal at the time.

It seems likely that for these reasons, a cultural preference for ThinkPads might persist among "geeks," even though a lot of Linux users now are too young to remember how the association started, and even though the brand has suffered a bit under Lenovo (so we hear). And given the number of self-professed Linux users on this site, it makes sense that some of them would have this cultural association (perhaps only unconsciously).

Does that make sense?

steer clear of laptops with hdd if you will be carrying around when its working. also I recommend surface 3 or pro 3 there should be lot of sweet deals since its aged a little.

I got a low end Asus Zenbook for around $350. It works great, has an amazing battery and screen. I installed Mint and played Red Orchestra 1 on it just fine. Great brushed Aluminum finish. Only thing thats bad is the trackpad, but I use a mouse anyways.

If you ONLY need it for the most basic student notes eg. get a chromebook. Far shittier and completely botnet, but cheaper.

>Does that make sense?
Compare your post to the hell HP has been through over the years and is still going through, realize that OP is shilling for HP, and suddenly everything makes sense.

Also almost no one on Cred Forumsuro buys a thinkpad new, it's usually refurbished for around 200 to 300 dollars for an i5/i7 laptop that you can buy replacement parts for cheap. Can't beat those prices when you're not a gaming idiot.

>ctrl+f latitude
I had few old ones in hand
they are really close to thinkpads in most aspects

bretty gud for a dell

Lenovo u330p. It's 500€, thin and light, has an aluminium body and runs Linux without any additional steps (Tested with debian, void and arch)

Yes, everyone who doesn't think thinkpads are always the best choice is just shilling
We also bought our elitebooks new so we have buyers remorse and want to trick you

>euros
explains everything

vaio 13. Not the sony vaio - the Vaio. Sony sold their consumer PC biz to some company and let them use the name.

Amazing argument friend
Try not to break your X220's screen

Hey eloquent interesting person who knows their shit, could you recommend an i5 or an i7 lenovo or is there much of a difference. I was thinking of opting for a i5 thinkpad 420 but the screen size is a little too small so a newer model with an i7 all seem to have bigger screens. Anyways i5 and i7 processors, discuss.......
Thanks

your taste is literally 0/10

Holy shit that looks amazing.
>aluminium chassis

Fuck cheap plastic shitpads, how's Linux support on these

It was assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that OP was asking a legitimate question; if he is shilling, then never mind.

The aforementioned expensive but "bulletproof" ThinkPads of the 90s/early 00s were mostly being bought for companies or organizations for "professional" users. I think. My coworkers at the time were business software developers doing "enterprise Java" stuff; and our understanding of "expensive" hardware was quite different. For example, in our particular work environment---and a lot of young folks are shocked to realize this---the cost of the hardware was easily dwarfed by the cost of the installed software licenses (commercial IDEs, database tools, design tools, etc). (Folks in engineering, with their CAD software, are still in the same situation AFAIK; the same can hold for graphic design folks.) It seems doubtful that IBM was selling many directly to consumers in those days. My own personal ThinkPad was a ~$200 eBay acquisition, several generations old.

But my last two work laptops (bought by my company) have both been Dell Latitudes. No problems. I am not the "geek" that I used to be and generally don't care even care what is "under the hood," as long as my code compiles & runs quickly---let alone care what sticker is on the case (aren't most machines regardless of brand produced in a few Taiwanese factories anyway?). In terms of brand differentiation, for business users, the options for critical support (e.g. 24-hour hardware replacement) often matter more than whether than machine is AMD or Intel-based, for example.

i have the 8460p and everything runs perfectly.
Upgraded to a quad core i7 and ssd.

OP here. It was a genuine

Far from true
Its the fucking scroll wheel

Bought a t460s with a nice discount. Never owned a thinkpad before. I'm in love with the keyboard, best laptop typping experience to date. The screen sucks though, overall build quality is good. So would do more research before buying again, but not dissapointed.

Alas, forgive me for mistakenly giving the impression that I am either eloquent, interesting, or knowledgable. Especially the last one! Did you know that I had to actually stop and CHECK whether my PC has an i5 or an i7? (The answer: i5 3320m.) Because frankly, PCs have long since ceased to be one of my life's central interests, and shocking as it may be to some here, hardware details do not really concern a lot of folks, even folks working in programming, as long as our code compiles & runs in a reasonable amount of time. For my work, any reasonably modern quad-core or better CPU would work fine---more important would be memory and especially disk I/O.

On that subject: Does your intended ThinkPad 420 have a solid-state drive, or an old-school disk? I ask because it looks like both options were available on that model, and the SSD factor would be more important to me than the i5 vs i7 question. (Once I went SSD---there was no going back.) But it is largely a matter of what you will doing with the machine, of course. (A 256MB SSD is plenty for me, but not for others.)

One thing I might mention, which is probably obvious, but in case not: do not overlook factory refurbished options. My company buys business-class laptops for developers from the Dell refurbished store, usually one generation behind, and have been quite satisfied with the price/performance ratio.

Sorry for not having better advice, but anyway, have nice night.

Kind of pops up out of its housing a bit.

Pic related is it in its 'fixed' state but the corner of the keyboard can pop out. This was after replacing the first keyboard that fully broke.

Correction: DUAL-core, not quad-core. (Again, see how out of touch this poor guy is?)

>no middle trackpoint button
>no 9cell battery option
>no slice battery option
>no nvidia gpus in 14" models
>shit trackpoint, Lenovo is much better in this

HP touchpad is so much better though, Lenovo ones are just cheap plastic that wear down relatively quickly.

The chasis is magnesium alloy and there ins't any flex, none at all. They are thicker, but also sturdier than thinkpads.
All but the fingerprint reader works on my 2570p. I have 10 and Mint on my SSD as my main OSs and another distro on the HDD (unlike the X2x0 it has an optical drive bay you can replace with a 2.5" drive)
You can easily install OS X too, but there aren't drivers for the stock Intel wireless NIC.

>touchpad
Who gives a shit about touchpad when there is trackpoint,

>overheating plastic chassis
No thanks.

How heavy are they though? If it's something I'll be carrying around, weight could be an issue.

This baby has been servicing me for the last 4 years without failure enduring lots of abuse.

>no 9cell battery option
Even my 12.5" one has a 9 cell option
MMB is available on the larger laptops, I use MMB emulation.

It's heavy, almost 2kg as it is at the moment with a 6 cell battery, 1.9 something kilos.

Thanks for the reply user, I will take the SSD advice. What about a HDD for backup? I have a shitty 1TB that should do the job. But will I tire of its slow speed once introduced to a solid state drive. There's the rub. Anyways "sound for that" as we say here in Ireland (its a thanks for taking the time to acknowledge and all round general thanking you expression)

Because HP is complete utter garbage that falls apart, and fails within a year.

Thanks for saying so!

Unfortunately I am the last person who could say anything intelligent about today's laptop offerings. But I might also say, following the comment by , that HP seems to have some real business problems these days---serious enough that even this uninformed guy has heard about them!---and so, even though it is probably possible to find really nice HP laptops, the brand as a whole seems to be suffering. For example, check this out:

hothardware.com/news/hp-allegedly-time-bombs-unofficial-ink-cartridges-from-working-in-its-printers

Of course, printers and laptops are two different thingss, but this issue does raise questions about whether HP is a brand that people should be supporting, and so it would not be surprising to see more HP dislike brewing.

This is why no one takes g seriously anymore...

I can't trust a company that only offers a 120 day warranty on its products.

Protip almost all laptops are designed by a handful of Taiwanese companies and manufactured by a handful of Chinese companies.
Laptops from different brands can be engineered and manufactured by the same OEM, and laptops from the same brand can be made by different OEMs.
Elitebooks are designed to exceed the same military standards as ThinkPads and have nothing to do with consumer trash.

2560p > x220
2570p > x230

they dont even come with malware preinstalled

>chiclet keyboard
>no keyboard light

There is a light by the web cam that is used for lighting the keys. Obviously not backlit but still werks.

Get an used Thinkpad or Latitude and switch the HDD with SSD.

I only considered Dell and Lenovo Thinkpad for my new business.

HP is just poo.

You are quite welcome, and thanks for your reply as well.

To clarify: do you mean "backup" in the sense of supplementary storage for daily tasks---or backup copies of important files in case the primary drive fails? If the latter, I have been asking myself this same question. Recently I tried a 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive: quiet, with plenty of capacity and speed for me. But apparently USB 3.0 flash drives generally have a problem with getting quite hot, hotter than a coffee mug to the touch after a few GB of writes. I was not comfortable leaving it plugged in for days/weeks at a time, so it went back. Now I am wondering whether to try making do with some older flash drives, or maybe use some of old IDE disks that are lying around (with a USB-connected enclosure). They would be slow, of course, but if the drives are really used only for backups, and if the backup job was scheduled appropriately, it might not matter anyway. Buying a backup SSD with a USB 3.0-connected enclosure would probably be the "proper" solution, and that would probably around $100 (USD). But I am frugal about PC expenses these days, so not sure how to proceed.

For you, it sounds like your 1TB HDD will at least do the job for now, while you think about what the longer-term solution should be.

Much love to Ireland from a half-Irish "mongrel" in America. Spent three weeks there in 2010, starting in Galway and ending in Dublin with trips to Kerry and the south in between. You probably cannot fathom how amazing it is for a foreigner who is (1) a Christian, and (2) with some distant Irish heritage, to set foot on those shores. "Plastic Paddy" syndrome aside---the nation, in spite of its problems (especially in recent decades), it really something special, as you certainly know.

I had no problems with HP laptops or any other brand besides Acer. Maybe you just cannot handle laptops?

>trackpoint
The rest of the world uses a three-finger tap as a middle mouse click.

>someone giving actually useful answers
how did you end up to this shithole?
nevertheless, what you said is correct
more than a decade ago IBM was the only worthwhile manufacturer and when their branch was bought, Lenovo still kept that brand on good standards
for people interested not so much in specs and fancy design it was and still is a top choice

>brushed aluminum
Fucking memebook tier

Couldn't have said it any better

Same at the shop I work in. HP is fucking trash.

ITT: I used a HP consumer shit so elitebooks are trash, too

Oops, a second correction, probably obvious: 256GB SSD.

Meanwhile my Thinkpad idles at 10C more

Sounds like a Chromebook. They're great for taking notes and stuff at Uni.

I got 8470p i upgraded to 8gb ram and ssd the screen is 1600x900
The keyboard is trash though

>latitude
MY NIGGA

THESE ARE THE BEST

Ugh, I've been seriously neglecting the Elitebook and Latitude buyers guides. Gonna do a good hard update on those pages tomorrow.
Are there any common problems on specific Latitudes and Elitebooks that I should add?

She also destroyed HP

>not shilling the superior 8750w

This user knows whats up

Clit isn't very good imho

>counter shilling hp

Nothing wrong with HP

ThinkPads are more durable, don't have shit keyboards, and look better

elitebooks are fine and look good imo but they do have bad keyboard and nub mouse compared to thinkpads

So you like something, and other people like other things? In other news, water is wet, and the Pope is catholic.

HP have shit quality control.
designed to break

You're thinking of their consumer line.

HP elitebook 8560w
> i7-2720qm
> 16gb memory
> 1080p ips screen
> NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Works pretty good as a "portalable" machine, but it's heavy as shit...

My dad used to give me his old Latitudes, Elitebooks and Thinkpads whenever his workplace upgraded all their tech (which happened every 6 months for some reason)
I always preferred the Thinkpads, then the Latitudes, then the Elitebooks. Elitebooks were much more sleek compared to the other two, but the keyboard and trackpoint weren't as good.
Laritudes are nice, but they had bad battery life and the clit mouse thing wasn't as good as the Thinkpad.

It sure doesn't help that Elitebook users aggressively shill their shit while Thinkpad and Latitude users are helpful, friendly people.

Got the same, but after years of lugging this + charger around I finally got a thinkpad with 9 cell battery.

i mostly use it as a second workstation at home, or sitting gaming at friends. For uni i mostly use my x201.

The Navy uses these for all the seats on its NMCI network. they are easy to maintain, dont need a tool to open the bottom, long battery life, shitty performance though.

Acer cloudbook 11

Some 14 inch elitebooks have really low quality screens
Dell laptops usually use an alps touchpad and not a synaptics one

let's stop deluding ourselves here, thinkpad keyboards haven't been any better since 2002, and especially now they're really nothing to write home about

they have a point, modern mac-wannabe clickpads are fucking unusable trash for anything beyond casual web browsing

Glass clickpads are the best trackpads bar none.

I don't like HP's fucktarded design philosophy. Pic related.

>60 fucking screws
Man, and I thought servicing a PowerBook G4 was bad

I think it's one screw to remove the x220 keyboard. Or 5, can't remember.

4 for the X201

is there any other company than apple that uses them?

clickpads in general seem like a stupid idea for PCs anyway

That's why you don't buy consumer trash. Elitebooks even have a large bottom that can be removed without any screws

>It sure doesn't help that Elitebook users aggressively shill their shit while Thinkpad and Latitude users are helpful, friendly people.
Because you don't know anything outside your little pad. Thinkpad fanboys are like Apple fanboys.
If you read the thread you'll see people have to correct misconceptions all the time, it gets tiring after a while having to explain that thinkpads aren't the only decent laptops.

Having had to deal with Elitebooks dealt by HP and Thinkpads, I'd take Thinkpads any day of the week. Generally thinner and lighter in the same class, Elitebooks are far easier to dent/scrach, and the "clit mouse" is horrible on the Elitebooks (but that's what HP gets for picking Alps instead of Synaptics).

I've also dealt with the recent Dell Latitudes, and I would take that before I went with an Elitebook (but not as much as a Thinkpad).

>thinkpad keyboards haven't been any better since 2002, and especially now they're really nothing to write home about

Have you actually used one or are you just assuming it's bad becsude of chiclet?

My X230 keyboard types way better than my T60 does. The feel is way fucking better, I miss keys less, it feels less mushy, and I think travek distance is actually larger.

Going from 7 row to 6 row is the only reason people dont like it. But its still the best laptop keyboard out there now. The keys all curve in, which other chiclets don't do.

The front edge of other business laptops doesn't slant down so it's way less confortable for my wrists. Well, the older thinkpads did that at least. They don't now.

Thats about the only reason for me really. Other than the trackpoint not being as good, but that might change now that the patent is expiring

>Why are Thinkpads memed so hard?
Theyre cheapier and a lot more plentiful. Thats about it. Unless youre a eurocuck, thinkpads are rarer there for some reason

Seeing this same shitty thread being made repeatedly gets tiring, too. Especially since it's always Elitebook fanboys making them, why does it bother you so much? Latitudes and Elitebooks are both fine alternatives to Thinkpads, with advantages and disadvantages. But you don't see Latitude fans making threads every day about how unfair it is that Thinkpads are more popular than their preferred laptop brand, because Latitude fans aren't autistic faggots.

Our school gives all the students free chinkpads.

Nice. Still though, used thinkpads cost twice as much in yurop as it does in the states for some reason

HP shit breaks, and Dell Latitudes are hot and always smell like solder for some reason.

I dont know what to say. Ive hardly ever had any thinkpads come into the shop, but plenty of HPs.

>Too bad that time is over
No. Walk into a computer store and try one. They type great.

Just make sure its a Thinkpad and not a Yoga or Ideapad or whatever.

I use some big Dell laptop with 500GB of memory. It really doesn't matter what laptop you have, so long as you can carry it and it's not incredibly slow.

Mine is like 14' but that's good because I can see easier.

Holy shit this

I love my Latitude but the smell bothers me, its smells like its overheating even though temps are fine

What? You prefer to use a different computer than ME!!! Well that means that you're obviously wrong and need to be corrected.
///////Cred Forums////////

Okay don't include this

i used 2 versions of the 8560p the I5 and I7, i preffer the I5 it felt like it was more stable.

But after using it for a while.... sold it and start using my Dell E6420 again, just love it!

>Have you actually used one or are you just assuming it's bad becsude of chiclet?
I'll take your word for it, my bookshelf full of thinkpads ranges from early 7/3 series and their PS/2 predecessors up to just the W520/T420, and yeah the *60 series keyboards were really lackluster

but from experience, I'd really wager that the last truly great thinkpad keyboard was the one featured in 600 series, and ultimately, it feels pretty trivial to me going from keyboard to keyboard with the exception of really bad designs and layouts, same thing with desktop keyboards

>should I steer clear of laptops with only SSD and no HDD

Its the other way around, retard

i use this one aswell, sure is heavy but the performance is still hard to beat.

>because Latitude fans aren't autistic faggots.
I don't see a permanent Lattitude general or Elitebook general, when that happens you can take off your autism crown, until then wear it with pride.

autists are the best thing to happen to computing, whether it's software or hardware

the reason the Latitude line is shit is because there aren't enough autists caring about every detail

>Latitude line is shit
modern Latitudes seem better than modern Thinkpads desu

>HP server grade
HP doesn't make servers anymore. Company completely split to HP and HPE. HPE makes servers.

>asus
>non existent customer support

Either you are one of those ROG fag or asus shill

Asus is only good for OEM

So whats the best line of business laptops? No lenovo because I hate that company with a passion. Also preferably no chink shit as their laptops are unreliable and the support is trash, also would rather give money to western companies and not chinks.

Im basically stuck between the Dell Latitudes and the HP Zbooks. Who has better customer support and warranty?

Honestly thinking of going macbook just for reliability, hate the OS with a passion but I need something that wont crap out in a year or two halfway through a semester, causing me to have to spend days reinstalling and re-configuring shit.

Dell, hands down. Their after sales service is nothing short of amazing.
I accidentally blown my laptop speaker on my XPS and they came around to my house the next day and fixed it on the spot free of charge.
Life is Hell without a Dell!

T460 with 72Wh external batt

Chromebook. I'm in uni now, and it's amazing. Weighs less than my spiral notebook, and battery lasts ~7 hours.

Most HP EliteBooks post 2nd gen Intel Processors are glass touch pads.

I had a T430, I currently have a T420

It does have a longer travel, it feels mushier, the keys rattle a lot more.
And yes, losing the extra row of keys is a huge deal.

It went from being a great keyboard to a keyboard that is only marginally better than other chiclets. Its not a selling point anymore, which doesnt bode well when it was the ONLY selling point.

After years of fucking around with ThinkPads I've come to realize that Dell and HP are actually a little better and easier to work on.

I'll back you up on consumer grade HP laptops being total pieces of shit with the most common problems being broken hinges and dust blockage. But I see far more Acer laptops than HP day to day, with far more issues.

But business range HP books are a joy to work on, literally one bottom-side panel and you have access to CPU/RAM/Heatsink/HDD.

Also I think people are forgetting how thick ThinkPads are, unless you have an s version.

>that hinge design
thanks but no thanks, same hinge design as sony vaio so likely to snap the screws at the base it's fucking insane.

pic related is the kind of latitude you should have posted

e4000 range also acceptable

That isn't normal, it should sit flush. Check that something under the keyboard isn't bent/you're using the correct length screw that holds the keyboard in place.

Fingerprint scanner on ALL elitebooks with 2nd/3rd gen+ intel are not supported on linux, drivers simply do not exist for them

the wwan port although looks like a spare msata slot will not support msata ssds

hp uses whitelisting for msata slots and will only support certain wlan cards, will not boot if one is not supported, may be bios workarounds for certain models

hackintosh does work on most 2nd/3rd gen elitebooks but you may have wifi issues with most intel wifi cards, most elitebooks come with intel wifi

My elitebook 2170p uses synaptics. Most elitebooks use synaptics. Only Probooks use Alps and they don't even have a clitmouse.

That's everyones fucktarded design philosophy now unless you haven't realised, ASUS, Acer and Toshiba are all doing the same thing. And you want to know who started all this? Apple.

hp is shit. my dad had one and the gpu burned out. i'm no faggot who mistakes software problems for hw failure, but i researched and it was a known issue

I bought my grandmother a cheap consumer HP and was actually pretty impressed with it.
Ive had some really shit luck recently with cheap consumer laptops and the HP was the first one that wasnt shit.

I have had some serious issues with a lenovo and an asus consumer laptop as of recent.

nope. having owned and used both extensively, HP business has the worst keyboard among business laptops. it's just a small step above generic chicklet shit, but it has all the same problems. dell is better, if for no other reason that they key caps are like a mash up between the old style and chicklet, with a tad more travel and a bit better membrane. the thinkpad "chicklet" is the best because it has actual fucking travel, and a very nice membrane, better than many old thinkpad keyboards. it's different but on the same level as all but the best of the old thinkpad keyboards. the travel is slightly less, but still miles better than generic chicklet shit, and the membrane gives a great tactility. the layout is bad, but really no worse than everything else these days. and as long as it's not x1 carbon retarded with touch shit and combined keys, it's fine.

also, the trackpoint is still significantly better on the thinkpad. and I think it's down to drivers. the nubs don't really feel that different in terms of force resistance, but the shapes are better on the thinkpad. HP and dell trackpoints just feel sluggish, like you're fighting the trackpoint. thinkpad ones feel more precise with less force. still, the best trackpoint is the old style ones on the likes of x40 and previous, which have different or no acceleration. those feel like a mouse without accel on. the modern accel that is applied can get annoying at the edges.

but latitudes are ugly now

Elitebooks are less stupid. On my 2560p it's one latch, three screws to take out the keyboard.

One feature.

>Nipple mouse.

That's why.

I reckon the hinges part as true.

I was on a gig where they used thinkpads and probooks. The quality across the thinkpads were better than the probooks.

Some probooks were nice, but some are really shitty for a business class laptop. That being said, HP laptops are shit in general, probooks suck less, but they suck in comparison to other business laptops, every IT guy knows this.

Thinkpad keyboards are impermeable to cum

your hands haven't memorized the layout? you have poor muscle memory

This keyboards are definitely worse, undecided between HP and Dell, they both have shit keyboards.

The main thing for me is HP is pants on head retarded with their purchasing, they literally make it impossible for consumers to purchase.

Secondly the machines are less reliable, I've seen around 4 8570w's with fan resistor failure, the board literally just REKTs itself. I part laptops for part of my income, I purchase very few ThinkPads, but have probably parted 15-20 HPs in the last 12 months.

One plus is the build quality, they are part aluminum, and don't creak/crack like ThinkPads do.

>3210m based system.
>$180

AHAHAHAH WHY

because it's refurbished

>chiclet is trash meme
If you really need to type 140WPM I think you're gonna carry an extra keyboard around.

Why would you if your laptop has a keyboard that enables you to do so?

Why would anyone come to to trash every laptop that isn't pre X230 Thinkpad?

>buying e corp hardware

Any suggestion of a notebook, Mac air size, Kali Linux compatible for educational purposes?

hmmm makes me think..

I have both, for same price thinkpads are better.

Dunno about 8560p but on my 8560W only three things I wanted/needed didn't work out of the box:
1: changing display brightness with FN keys (easy fix)
2: tapping the clitmouse to click with mouse. Haven't found a fix for that yet. *sadface*
3: fingerprint reader. Seems it is not supported at all. No biggie, but still slightly annoying from time to time.

What kind of HP is that?

>16:9 screen

EB 8470p Reporting in

Bust mofo laptop you can get for performance for buck atm!

Im okay with both. I just prefer to work with my spectrum of familiar products. Ultimately however I go with the brand I can trust- lenovo (IBM).

and also money/cost.

>I need something that wont crap out in a year or two halfway through a semester, causing me to have to spend days reinstalling and re-configuring shit.

No one should rely on one PC or only own one PC no matter how good they are. Drop cash on what you most want, then score a backup at leisure and put a new SSD in it.

I keep software backups burned to DVD at lowest speed for anything that matters, but store them however you like. Also have one or two USB live OS. FalconFour and Knoppix are useful. I save the .isos to reload them, and keep a couple of USB flash drives to load Windows and Linux since I use both.

Live so the destruction or theft of any one PC won't slow you down. That's the lazy man solution and it's effective.