Ok Cred Forums

Ok Cred Forums.

>480
>390x

Which one is better?
What do I go for?

I will be gaming at 1080p most of the time. 1440p and up if the card can handle it.
I just need something that'll last me 2/3 years until 4k is truly viable.

390x

Both

none

I'm not even black but I might chimp out.

Stop buying AMD so someone might start a real company so we can have real competition

I got the 480 (made by Asus) a couple of days ago and I didn't check the size up front. It didn't fit my mATX case so now my PC is just a motherboard on the table until I find another case. It's 5 cm longer than my old one which wasn't a compact GPU either (GTX 560).

It's a nice card otherwise but it's very big. Better make sure it fits.

Btw anyone know any good case for it? I would like to get a cube form instead of the normal tower shape. Where the motherboard is horizontally set.

just tape a cardboard box to a full tower and spray paint it the same color

I got a N200 with a msi 480 the other day.

Shit's dank. I think it's a fantastic case. I'll be able to use it in my next build in a couple years, plenty of space for water cooling, radiators, more fans, more sdd, supports one size up from mATX too I think.

Vega, trust me.

480 Honestly the x versions of the 300s didn't really get much performance over the the non-x ones anyway. 390 isn't bad though.

Be warned they tend to be huge so check your case.

AMD hasn't been in the processor fight since the first i5 came out. GPU on the other hand they have been competing well and often on top in that same time from. Hell in some price brackets Nvidia hasn't even been in the fight on occasion. Nvidia often beats out on the top end 600+ bracket, but those just aren't worth when you can just upgrade more often for the same price and do better for it.

It varies. The 390X generally comes out slightly ahead, but it does use an extra 125W+ to do so. There's also the fact that every last drop of performance has been squeezed out of Hawaii/Grenada at this point, whilst Ellesmere can potentially get better and better over the next few years. Indeed, it's already gotten much closer to the GTX 1060 since July. TPU's latest performance summary puts 5% between them.

I'd go for the 480 because of lower power consumption and price but the 390x will perfrom slightly better.

this^ I'd go with the 480

Reminder that the Fury X's overall performance is 1% better than the 980Ti.

I bet your mother fucked chimps though

390x uses power like a mother. Get the 480.

>Cherrypicking

>witcher 3
>used as a positive for AMD
>cherry picking

I don't think you understand what the term means.

Drivers aren't mature(potential for performance boosts) and uses way less power.

I will take this opportunity to ask something.
I have a FX 8350 CPU and, since I am on a budget, I am thinking about buying a 480.
Will my CPU bottleneck a 480?

Faster vram is better in higher resolutions. Even 1070 with it's fancy new compressions starts choking in 4k and is matched by a fury x.

So 390x > 480 in that regard. 384 vs 256 GB/s.

480 because of potential driver performance boosts, noise, heat, size and not buying ancient technology.

So what if it does? Are you going to buy another CPU just to keep?

390x is hardly ancient technology

If it does I would look for another one that my CPU doesn't bottleneck.

Its really not that simple - unless you have an infinitely fast components there is always something limiting performance.

The real secret of the 8350 is to overclock it.

Depends on the game.
In the majority of games the CPU makes virtually no difference, but there are games where it matters.

I see, thanks.

I don't really have any specific game in mind, I just wanted to buy something for general use (emulators) and playing modern games in 1080p.

>both support DX12
>both support asynchronous compute

390x is more powerful. So you'd probably get more out of that than a 480

Get a 1060

To be fair the main advantage of hawaii (compared to polaris) - the 64 rops - only starts to shine as you crank resolution.

Roughly the same performance wise, power usage wise, 480 wins out.

you can get a fury for like $25 more than a 480