What's your opinion on UDP?

What's your opinion on UDP?

Other urls found in this thread:

siptutorial.net/RTP/realtime.html,
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes.

Kinda unreliable in my opinion

It sometimes cool is

I'd tell you but I'm not sure you'd get it.

Useful for things other than file transfers.

My favorite UDP feature is that connections seamlessly survive across IP address changes.

Great for stuff like VoIP

You just needed a reason to post that gif, didn't you?

Anyway, UDP is cool, online gaming would probably be unbearably slow without it

>online gaming would probably be unbearably slow without it
And nothing of value would have been lost

bretty gud

From the receiver?
Does the client just tell it the new IP or what?

UDP is fucking awesome except:
- it dies in nat/firewall
- encryption is exceedingly difficult

>And nothing of value would have been lost
you're right, as they'd be able to detect and retransmit that which had been lost

Good for multiplayer vidya.

I could tell you a joke about UDP but I'm not sure if you get it

I hate it. It is a fantastic idea, but you see everyone just not getting the concept.

>firewall people always fucking up using stateful packet inspection
>devs writing mechanism to check and re-send failed packets

That's lame. Keep it for yourself next time, don't share with us.

kek

Good for things like voice-chat and for some things in games like handling movement.

Great for things that don't require an ACK, so telephony or gaming.

Do devs really do this ?

>>devs writing mechanism to check and re-send failed packets
WHY

I'd make a UDP joke here but you might not get it.

Yes, very funny.

oh that's nasty

>it dies in NAT/Firewall

You need to build exceptions in the firewall for UDP stream.

whats nasty about that? ethernet over power has been a thing for a long time.

very common in control systems.

Or punch through. Or use UPnP. Or ICE/TURN/STUN.

Why wouldn't you do this?

Why would you, when RTP exists?

>The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is a network protocol for delivering audio and video
What about tasks that do not involve transfer of audio and video?

>What about tasks that do not involve transfer of audio and video?
Well, considering that they use it for delivering DAQ data from sensors at CERN, I would say that it works for a lot of other real-time data too.

Looking at siptutorial.net/RTP/realtime.html, RTP seems completely conuter-productive for videogames netcode. Plus general lack of code samples.

Videogames generally don't use RTP, no. They use UDP and TCP, more often TCP than UDP because of firewalls and NAT.

Also, gamedevs tend to not write good network code. There are plenty of games that don't even turn of Nagle's algorithm

no, they use udp more often because it is lightweight and faster. udp has nothing to do with fucking nat you dumb fuck

>udp has nothing to do with fucking nat you dumb fuck
Of course you do, how do you send UDP datagrams from a server to a client behind NAT? You need to punch through NAT, but not all NAT implementations support this. Therefore they fall back on TCP, which is bidirectional. The client establishes a connection to the server, the server uses this connection to talk to the client.

And if you don't believe me, the next time you're on NAT or playing a game, fire up tcpdump or wireshark or whatever and see for yourself.

*behind NAT playing a game

Underrated.

Pretty much. The next packet updates the server's concept of what the client's IP is like. (Messages use authenticated encryption. Which is actually nontrivial to do for UDP packets)

Since there's no connection handshake involved, the client doesn't need to wait for a timeout like it normally does.

It serves it's purpose.

Acutally you are wrong. Lots of games use UDP because it is lower latency and produces little overhead.

At least read the fucking wiki page for Nagle's algorithm

An absolute requirement for low-delay and low overhead networking.

Here in Syria we're double NATed, then you've got my router's NAT.

Yet I play vidya on a one Mbps connection :/

>UDP
>connections
How does it feel to out yourself as a retard?

>UDP is fucking awesome except:
>- it dies in nat/firewall
Which is why DNS never works for anyone?

Do games still use UDP?

>Syria
Holy fuck. You OK? Sorry for bombing your country.

I always wondered how those NASA space probes communicate with earth from all the way from Pluto?

It can't be udp? And tcp has some TTL function that prevents the connection from waiting like a year for a packet to arrive

Not sure if bait(sarcastic) or real.

Anyhow, in my case it's not your bombs that are hitting us, it's the mortars and rockets of those "you" bomb...

>What about tasks that do not involve transfer of audio and video?
TCP

no one knows this? it's really interesting

I was serious.
Our media (the Netherlands)only shows abandoned villages and total destruction caused by the Russians. It's hard to find objective news, so I now read multiple sources and draw my own conclusion.

Am I okay? Appreciate the initiative, answer is: meh relatively fine. It is mostly death and destruction here except for "Some" parts of "Damascus"; where I live.

Even here ain't that safe, couple weeks ago about 5KM away from here you'd enter a conflict zone within range of automatic snipers...

It's a messy ten-some orgy with many parties fighting each other. Yet civies like us in the non-conflict area are bombarded with random mortars and more recently rockets. So bullets bursts, mortars, explosions etc... no longer pump adrenaline when the shockwave reaches you (bullets bursts are not accompanied with shockwaves, obviously). Because you got used to it to the point of boredom. (Unless when it lands less than 100m away of course! Or shot less than 100m away if it's a gunshot)

Why am I still here? Idk college and it costs a bunch to even illegally immigrate to the EU, let alone legal immigration (non-refugee) to EU or Canada if that even still exists.

Not that I didn't try emailing Canadian officials, or actually walking up to the embassy in Lebanon but they didn't even let me in even though I was accompanied by a Lebanese citizen.

Refugees are hand-picked from refugee camps in neighboring countries. We weighed pros and cons and we'd rather keep our education and jobs (with the almost weekly close-calls we are having) over going to some refugee camp without being able to work, live, or even get proper care.

Apologies for the essay.

>read multiple sources and draw my own conclusion.
Amen.

Also, I like how this escalated from UDP to this lol.

(checked)
I thought Damascus was a safe haven because it's controlled by government forces. I guess I was wrong...
>immigration
It's getting harder and harder to get into western Europe. Nationalist parties start to gain traction because of recent events (shooting/bombings by ISIS(?)) and economic turmoil. The majority of the population hate immigrants so don't expect a warm welcome, but at least it's better than getting shot up or blown into pieces. Dutch media also claims Qatar to be a good destination for immigrants, but it's a fishy story.
Thanks for the explanation user. Stay strong!

Who gives a shit if he's okay you fucking eurocuck? These subhuman slime are literally invading your countries and will have at least 4 babies per family. You will be bred out in the next 20 years. End yourself cuck.

Cuck here,
There are two types of refugees.
The first are actual refugees. They are usually women with children. They will return to their country once the war has ended. That is all cool.
The latter are single men looking to jew us from money. They have no respect and do whatever they want. Their goal is to settle here and leech. That filth should be gassed.
If Hitler won the war, this would have never happened. Thank you for saving us, burgers!

>How does it feel to out yourself as a retard?
>open VoIP program
>hit connect to server
>I am now connected
Yes, it's UDP. Yes, it's a connection.

but don't let me spoil your 3 seconds of “lolololol doesn't heve evne know that UDP is connectionless XD XDX D” feeling of superiority.

the freshmen meme is real

So you're just going to let whoever the fuck wants to walk into your country, walk into your country? These people do not assimilate. Their culture is in total opposition to the west. They WILL replace your indigenous populations. Terrorist attacks will continue to increase, incomes will continue to dwindle. More and more of your western values will be taken away one by one. All you have to do is kick them out but you're too fucking pathetic to do it. "omg are you okay poor refugee!? please come rape my women, take my money and enforce your 'values' on me!"

#YOLO

>They'll leave when the war is over

Ahahahahahahaha

Subtle kek.

No, only families. They are the true refugees. Lone men are the cancer that should not exist. They are the ones that leech and rape.
Don't worry, Geert Wilders will win the next election. After that, we can start removing the rotten apples.

You're so delusional. That's why you're a cuck. This isn't refuge, it's invasion. This war has been going on for centuries and you think it will just end overnight and they'll all go back to shitland dessertville without a fight when they can just rape your women with no consequences and collect welfare?

It's not invasion, it's genocide. White genocide.
Like I said, there have to be strict rules to get asylum. Currently all immigrants that enter the country can stay permanently. That's ridiculous.

Don't worry, you guys will work out a system after you've already let millions of them into your countries unvetted. You're truly fucked.

We also let millions of Jews invade our countries. Look what happened :^)