/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread hit bump limit.

Post here to try and find answers to questions that are stupid, silly, or don't deserve their own thread.

Here's one to get the ball rolling-

What HMD/Video Glasses can you recommend? I'm tired of staring at my screen and wearing my glasses. I want to put something on my face.

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/976922/use-vpn-only-for-certain-domains-hostnames
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ZPBFZS/
amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z0V2NQ8/ref=pd_cp_147_2
devicespecifications.com/en/model/63fc3e54
soundcloud.com/azoteliquid/sceptix-grey-stay-alive
ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS3-PS4-Gold-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-USB-Adapter-CECHYA-0082-Used-82-/381764397311?hash=item58e2ee68ff:g:f-YAAOSwvzRX0b28
ebay.com/itm/USB-Headset-Headphone-Mic-Sound-Adapter-For-PS3-Slim-US-Seller-/281426932516?hash=item41865a3324:g:6HQAAMXQEgpTFEd2
howtogeek.com/187721/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-in-virtualbox/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Vs29Cy
m.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/11/future_of_firefox_is_chrome/
pcpartpicker.com/list/NCpKqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/88YXRG
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353082#
mega.co.nz/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_(service)
crystalmark.info/
youtube.com/watch?v=Rj1dmMH-_V0
rog.asus.com/technology/rog-motherboard-innovations/mpcie-combo-card/
cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm4213a&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming
cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm3600bu&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming
cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqar
logicalincrements.com/
store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_841783
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127963
support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?hl=en
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)#Disambiguating_moves
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

according to our current knowledge, free will can not exist in a deterministic (everything is predetermined) or probabilistic (everything is random) universe.

but if string theory is correct, does that allow for the possibility of free will coming from a higher dimension other than the four we're able to observe/experience?

I just noticed im seeing hotter colors with my left eye and cooler colors with my right. What is going on?

I just intalled the lates Windows 10 updates on my desktop.

Now it's dead. It wont even start up to the point where i can enter Bios. Blank screen, nothing happening. Wat do?

Just realized you can create a netflix account without credit card details, just with a gift card and still get one month free.

What prevents me from not just creating a new account every 2 months effectively getting it at half the price?

Seems like a major loophole in their pricing scheme

Power supply or gpu?

Free will is an illusion either way, you aren't consciously controlling subatomic particles.

Program to take audio from a video?

so, you're suggesting that life is nothing but a shitty movie? while i agree, this seems rather depressing.

ffmpeg

shitty is a matter of perspective

When i turn it on it just keeps attempting to start up until i cut the power with the on/off button at the PSU.

Dont think it's the GPU, i managed to reach BIOS before that to turn off CPU overclocking because that kept blocking Bootup before according to the startup black screen. Now it's simply black.

I bought a an external hard disk which I need to use on both linux and windows.
What filesystem would be best ?

>FAT32
not an option because of the filesize limit.

sure, but when something is entirely out of your control, it means there is no real interaction with anything. you're just along for the ride. being limited to do nothing but observe sounds terrible to me.

it's probably best to not think about it at all, the illusion of free will is better than nothing.

ntfs

remove hdd and see if it POSTs

New computer soon, want it to be malware free.

If I backup almost everything (photos, videos, documents) but I don't backup any .exe files, programs and games, can I be 99% certain I won't be putting malware on the new computer?

How much weight do people lose or gain during a cut or bulk?
5kg? 10kg? Is there a "good" number?

Oh shit sorry wrong thread on wrong board
At least I got the "stupid" part right

But I am controlling much larger objects containing those particles.

just scan the files with malwarebytes before you back them up. media files should not be affected, but things like .pdf can contain malware.

>All HDDs disconnected.
>Press power button
>Sound of fans running
>Nothing happening, screen is black
>Sound of fans running starting again
>Nothing happening, screen is black
>Etc.

qtddtot master race

>but things like .pdf can contain malware
Good point. Thank you.

does it beep at all? if not, and if all cables are connected properly, something toasted your pc, sorry.

if you can't get into bios/uefi at all, it's most likely your motherboard or cpu. probably the mobo. try resetting CMOS.

or your screen died. could be any number of things really.

windows update should not be able to do that, maybe it was just a coincidence.

i've never heard of this exact issue before and i didn't find anything on google.

also, remove your RAM

Maybe you turned it off mid update lmao

>does it beep at all? if not, and if all cables are connected properly, something toasted your pc, sorry.
It usually beeps once when you press the power button, it does too right now but nothing happens.

>if you can't get into bios/uefi at all, it's most likely your motherboard or cpu. probably the mobo. try resetting CMOS.
Will have to look into CMOS resetting, i also figure it's the mobo

>or your screen died. could be any number of things really.
nope, even without a screen the computer should bood up

>windows update should not be able to do that, maybe it was just a coincidence.
Cant be concidence, this laptop i'm writing with had serious issues (would freeze up right after start) until i installed the same Windows updates yesterday, now it runs fine, my desktop ran fine... until i installed the updates.

>i've never heard of this exact issue before and i didn't find anything on google.
same, but thank you for the help. i guess i'll have to fork out 400 € for a new mobo and cpu.

>also, remove your RAM

Not possible, well, not easily possible.

My CPU cooler is so big it's hanging above the RAM.

i'd still try that before buying new parts. if it's just the ram, it's cheap and easy to fix compared to installing a new motherboard.

I've set up OpenVPN on DigitalOcean, but some sites (including 4chinz) disallow VPN connections. How do I exclude certain domains from going through VPN? My clients are windows and android, so hopefully there is a method requiring only editing of .ovpn or server config.

Ok.

Now i'm running it with the onboard graphics card and only one Ram in, i cycled through all 4 of them. Still no change.

I guess i better get to the store while it's still open.

Is the ThinkPad t420 any good for android development?

My current laptop lags a lot and I'm looking for one which doesn't.

Am i stupid or is t420 a good choice?

>Seems like a major loophole in their pricing scheme

I reckon they think their target audience is too lazy to do that.

I mean to buy a gift card you have to leave your house in the first place

Also if you want to save $10 so desperately you might wanna check your finances and see if you should really have a Netflix subscription in the first place

You're actually in luck. It's much easier to filter by domain then trying to whitelist or blacklist specific applications

superuser.com/questions/976922/use-vpn-only-for-certain-domains-hostnames

If you're doing only very resource light stuff, and you put an ssd in it, it's not a terrible choice. But it's hard to justify going all the way back to sandy bridge unless you're getting a really good deal.

For those who have Nvdia Graphics Card
Game ready driver IS the actual driver right?
My pc updated it to 372.90 and I'm not sure whether this is some dumb bloatware or the actual driver for the graphics card

Thanks, if you see this post, it means it worked. Couldn't set up all subdomains like *.Cred Forums.org though, hope I won't encounter a need for excluding tons of subdomains in future.

Im talking about android development.

Kinda resource extensive.

And i dont plan on adding an SSD.

My current work laptop is a pile of laggy garbage from lenovo.

Although its available here for cheap af and im seriously considering buying it.

Even if it doesnt end up as my daily driver, it will act as the laptop i do some crazy shit like rm - rf / on. Like an experimental laptop

Just plugged in an SSD from a broken laptop which had Linux on it.

Forgot that it's formatted in ext4, so it doesn't appear to even show up in Windows, although I can see it if I use ext2explore.

So how do I proceed to format this drive?

nvm, just discovered Disk Management.

sup Cred Forums
sed noob here

I have a file to work with (using sed) where each line is supposed to start with "\foo " (space included). If a line doesn't start with that, it needs to be appended to the previous line.

Example:

\foo a
\foo b
c
\foo d

is supposed to yield

\foo a
\foo bc
\foo d

So I found a command that does the same thing but matches numbers instead of "\foo ". However regexes are fucking with my brain

Anybody care to help me out adapting the command for my case?

sed -e ':1 ; N ; $!b1' -e 's/\n\+\( *[^0-9]\)/\1/g'

first part :1;N;$!b1 collect all lines in file divided by \n in 1 long line
second part strip newline symbol if it followed non-digit symbol with possible spaces between its

I have this bluetooth speaker lying around and I want to use it as a a desktop speaker.

Will it be bad for the battery if I use it always connected to an energy source or should I use the battery (charge + discharge)?

What's the best "average consumer who wants good gear" tier router on the market currently for around $100 to $200?

>I mean to buy a gift card you have to leave your house in the first place
>not buying gift cards on those weird eBay deals where you can get a $100 gift card for $80

yes, it's bad for every battery enabled appliance.

Just remove the battery if you plan to use it on AC full time.

Ok, Cred Forums, I'm planning on getting this after I get paid, probably next week or whenever my client looks at my invoice I just sent and sends me a check.

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ZPBFZS/
I wanna know, what is people's experience with this/similar?
For reference:
I'm 5'8.75"/~1.75m, ~239 lbs/~108.6kg, and I use the computer for many, many hours a day.
My current chair, although arguably the best I've ever had, is difficult to sleep in.
(I kinda wanna stop relying on a damn bed, and just get a comfy chair to sleep in at my PC)
If it spun, I'd have considered a armchair like the one I had on vacation, but I would like something adjustable.

What's your experiences with DX Racers and such?

>yes, it's bad for every battery enabled appliance.
Depends on the device really. Modern laptops should bypass the battery once it is already fully charged.
Not sure if smartphones do that, though.

A bluetooth speaker almost certainly would not.

R7000

Yes it's the driver. It included a lot of optimizations for individual games.

>i dont plan on adding an SSD.

You should reconsider, if you plan on using it with any regularity. I do have PCs without SSDs, but they're almost exclusively testing rigs at this point, nothing I would ever spend much time on.

Just get some kind of dual-band thing from Linksys/Cisco/NetGear that supports BGN and ANAC.
Preferably with MAC spoofing, so you can plug into your modem after a rest to change your IP address

Is there a decent FLOSS program for using rsync on windows?

German alternatives for Lorem Ipsum?

Will having the game content on an SSD and the system on an HDD make things pointless? Would I benefit more from also having the system on the SSD?

Thanks, m80s

amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z0V2NQ8/ref=pd_cp_147_2

Programs go on the SSD, OS is a program.
Data goes on the HDD

Hi,
Trying to connect my PS3 to a projector with a VGA port. Bought a VGA (female) to HDMI (male) adapter. When I hook the two up with the adapter, the projector recognises the connection but just displays a blank screen. Have tried holding down the PS3 power button for 6 seconds to reset the resolution but no luck. The adaptor works perfectly for my Apple TV. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hi Cred Forums, I need an idea or inspiration for my college project.

This software must be useful and no one ever build it. Yes, useful and no one ever build it, how fucked am I?

And the thing is, I'm not really sure about my ability in "serious" programming, I always did it for shits and farts but never at this level of "seriousness", so please keep it in beginner to intermediate level, if not, It's still okay.

My first idea was build something like Cisco Packet Tracer but in 3D also automatic so it was like
>how many floor are your office
>how many PC do you have etcetera
And then my software will generate recommended network plan and shits.
But after I thought about it for days, it's ridiculous and someone did that better already.

So please, help me Cred Forumsentlements

Anyone have anything to say about this, or it's all good?

Like, no significant complaints about these chairs?

You want your OS on the SSD along with most applications. That will give you the greatest boost. Sticking the games themselves on the SSD mainly just affects loading times, and ocasionally how fast textures load. If you don't really have space on the SDD, sticking games on a hard drive is fine. Music/Video/general files can all go on the HDD no problem.

>using Netflix in the year of our lord 2016

Is the projector set to display the correct input? Assuming there are multiple inputs. If not, there should be a button to toggle between inputs on your remote

I would check what resolutions your PS3 supports. You'll probably need to connect another screen to the PS3, set the resolution to match the projector, then switch back to it. VGA doesn't auto detect the way HDMI does.

How the fuck do I stop programs from automatically opening when my laptops boots?

I'm in a similar situation... and honestly I was considering to drop some psychedelic hoping to get inspiration

What do I lose if I don't migrate the OS over? If the game's all over on the SSD I can't really lose too much, can I?

It's a small SSD, so I'd have to use a little of both drives, although mostly the HDD. I could reverse things (SSD hosts OS (maybe a few games), HDD hosts games), but would I benefit from that?

>not even specifying the os

please, leave

Who was that British guy who captured or destroyed 53 ships?

I need a phone that has at least 30 days of standby time and supports 3G.

I only need the following 4 features:
FM radio
Calls
SMS
Physical buttons

Would be nice if there was no camera. Pic rel: My current Nokia 106 that I soon won't be able to use because kike telcos are dropping 2G support.

Du
Du hast
Du hast mich
Du
Du hast
Du hast mich
Du
Du hast
Du hast mich
Du
Du hast
Du hast mich
Du
Du hast
Du hast mich
Du hast mich
Du hast mich gefragt
Du hast mich gefragt
Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab nichts gesagt

Anybodie?

>What do I lose if I don't migrate the OS over?

About 90% of the point of an SSD. As a rule the OS always goes on the SSD, then the program files, and if you've got space left over then feel free to throw the games on there, but it's optional. It's kinda nice having games on the SSD, but it's way down on the totem pole of importance.

Salt and pepper it with umlauts?

Help me out here Cred Forums, what the hell is the problem here? I have a server set up at that local ip, trying to forward the http connections to it. I always only get timed out connections when I try to access it through my public ip.
What the hell am I doing wrong? I've done this many times before and never had issues.

I'm planning to get the Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 at some point. Currently I use the Convoy 3.

IDK why you'd want LESS features, but I fully understand the battery life.
Folder 2 is supposed to have 318 hours, standby (13.3 days), and like 30 hours of music.

It has 2 cameras, 2 GB RAM, a 1.4GHz processor, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and is somehow also a touch screen (idk why this is included; it's a flip phone).
Said to support GSM, CDMA, and LTE. Duals SIMS, too.
devicespecifications.com/en/model/63fc3e54

Also, idk why you want an FM radio, but this has it.
Also, for real music, it has support for micro SDXC, so you can store as much animu tunes as you want.

lmfao
Rammstein

this worked, thanks

I have a dualshock 3, now what would happen if I took a an OTG cable, mini USB in the dualshock, and on the larger end I place a USB to headphone jack cable, and in the headphone jack I put my headphones. Would I get the same result as Dualshock 4 that has a natural headphone jack?

Is there a firefox addon to make the font rendering look more like chrome?

Or alternatively just give me a good font rendering addon

I don't think that can do anything with audio.

Unless that USB to headphone was made specifically for the PS3, I heavily suspect that jack shit is going to happen.

So there's really no way to use my headphones with PS3? Besides plugging them in TV which is stupid?

why do so many things have to be broken?

i'm trying to download this

soundcloud.com/azoteliquid/sceptix-grey-stay-alive

it has a download link and i'm signed in but i just get a blank page when i click on it

is it broken for everyone or just me??

You could get an RCA to 3.5mm adapter or a compatible USB or bluetooth DAC. The Dualshock 3 won't process bluetooth audio.

You could plug them into the PS3

ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS3-PS4-Gold-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-USB-Adapter-CECHYA-0082-Used-82-/381764397311?hash=item58e2ee68ff:g:f-YAAOSwvzRX0b28

ebay.com/itm/USB-Headset-Headphone-Mic-Sound-Adapter-For-PS3-Slim-US-Seller-/281426932516?hash=item41865a3324:g:6HQAAMXQEgpTFEd2

Anyone here ever had carpal tunnel syndrome?

I've had a dull pain at the base of my thumb (median nerve?) since morning today, first time ever. Think it might be CTS? What should I do with it, does it go away on its own or should I see a doctor?

It's my left hand and I'm right handed though.

What's the best C compiler for windows? I'll take writing in notepad and doing everything in cmd over suffering with visual studio 2015 and how giant it is

Borland

Around this place, on the palm but I thought the carpal tunnel is more in the middle and closer to the wrist.

I've got Kali installed on a flash drive. Is it possible to boot it from VirtualBox rather than having to boot directly into it? If so how?

If I spoof an e-mail address and the recipient replies to that e-mail will it redirect to me or the owner of the e-mail address?

>I turn on my PC.
>Works fine.
>A few hours later start up a game.
>Crashes during the first 5 minutes.
>Reboot.
>Restart game.
>Works fine for rest of the day.
Every time!
WTF is this sorcery?

>writing in notepad and doing everything in cmd
shig

use visual studio or eclipse

Probably! But YMMV

howtogeek.com/187721/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-in-virtualbox/

The computer is only for gaming, but if you say so. I'll prepare migration.

It's fairly normal, I think.
Also your eyes get adapted to white balance. Try using a different colored light with one eye open, then change the light and eye. You'll see they adapt.
Not Cred Forums related though.

There's UDF, and also NTFS but only because of windows being shit with filesystems.

Any file can contain an exploit, but it's not very likely. Scan with superantispyware or someshit.
Also install gentoo

sudo systemctl disable
Or rip them out of your .xinitrc or something
:^)

ISPs often block port 80, have you had this set up like this before? Maybe your ISP changed a thing?
Maybe the port forward takes a reboot to get applied?
Does the server work locally?
Firewall issues?

You could just boot the ISO.
I'm not sure how kali manages things, but that should be enough.

Contact your doctor for a real answer. In my non-medical opinion...
>I've had a dull pain at the base of my thumb (median nerve?)
The median nerve is right in the middle of your wrist, where it connects to the hand. But the thumb muscle is what you highlighted, and that's the part that can atrophy due to long-term CTS.
>first time ever
Generally anything minor for the first time ever, or once in a blue moon, isn't worth self-diagnosing on WebMD.
>Think it might be CTS?
There are many things that could cause your symptoms. You cited pain, but I think a better test is hand numbness: does one or both of its hands ever feel like it's falling asleep, and how much/how long.

Last December I bought a Lenovo Y700 pre-installed with Windows 10. A few days ago, the Anniversary update happened and fucked everything up. I can't turn it off correctly, I cant turn it on correctly. I did a restore and it fucked it up even more. So I made a bootable Windows 7 USB drive to try and install it and I get this message.

I tried injecting USB 3.0 drivers into it, but that did not help either. I am at the point where I think my options are either install Windows 7 or make windows 10 work and sell it, because I am tired of this shit. Has anybody ran into this problem and have a fix?

I just had my Windows 10 upgraded to the Anniversary edition. Assuming that I didn't really care about all the alleged 1984 shit going on behind the scenes before, do I have a reason to care now? If so, why?

Thanks doc.

I guess I should do a general medical check-up soon anyway, this is my first problem in a while but I haven't been to a doctor in eight or nine years now.

Unless you've got some weird games you can boot to, they're all still using the OS. And the game files themselves aren't that important because most of the important things get loaded into your VRAM anyways. But starting the game out initially and load time will benefit from the game being on the SSD.

Is a N+ Cert, no experience, and a unrelated bachelors enough to get me in the field in something like desk tech or the gov?

if I want directx stuff, do I just install dx11 or do I have to install the old ass versions too if I want to launch games using them?

Define turning it off/on "correctly".
Lucky. I have various health issues and see doc(s) on a somewhat regular basis.

When it turns off, it gets those stupid circling dots. Until I manually force it to turn off. When I turn it on or wake it up from sleeping, It goes to the log in screen, but doesnt let me do anything from there.

Heh, same user, so I just got an idea, I need opinions.
So this software is to measure length but with a person an a camera.
This is how it work :
>Person A and person B
>Person A want to measure length from the point he stand to point where the thing like his car or something.
>Person A open up android phone camera and then Person B stand in front of Person A's camera with full body shot,
>Person A's camera face detector is detect Person B's face
>Person B's face is locked now, because of that, we can track person B movement who slowly getting farther from Person A's position, from that we can calculate how far the Person B's body to Person A's with his body shot getting smaller and smaller.

Fuck, my idea is getting more ridiculous, I'm so desperate

Same user, nevermind, It's easier to track distance with footstep, my idea is garbage

Connected a second monitor yesterday to an r9 390. I didn't have a dvi cable (it's an old monitor) so I connected it with a vga cable and a converter.

The problem is that when I start any 3d application like a game or something the second monitor flickers like hell with horizontal scanlines. I think that it may be just interference with the converter (pic related) Anybody had this issue or have any solutions?

Try Startup Repair.

Do they make h.265 mPCIe video accelerators?

Does software that tracks your eyes and automatically switches focus to the window you're looking at exist? Especially across multiple monitors?

IIRC, the point of these college projects is to show how much thought/effort you can put into something. Doesn't necessarily mean your idea has to work, but your idea about measuring distance via a camera is at least neat.
>This software must be useful and no one ever build it.
I highly doubt that your peers are doing this.

So, I'm alone in this problem? Fucking google gives zero help.

Is there any way to choose which OS to boot on startup?*

*They are on different hard drives, I'm lazy and don't want to have to go into BIOS and switch the boot order every time I want to swap.

Most people don't ask for help on some issue that happens once/rarely, and has an easy workaround.
Other than hold F10 for the Boot menu or whatever?

grub

Does the Sakura Terminal work on Fedora yet? Every time I tried starting it before it would crash

>trying to start bot for website
>open up firefox to get POST data like always
>submit, page changes, post data lost
What do? How do I retain that data?

Which OSes?

What's your mobo, and what did you use to inject the drivers?

yeah was thinking there might be a way to do it in grub
so there is a way to do it with 2 hard drives in grub?
win10 and manjaro

Posting in this thread since the last one died

Will a Rode Procaster work with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo? Apparently the Procaster needs a lot of gain, and the Scarlett Solo might not be able to provide enough of it. Does anyone here use the combo, or know anything about audio setups?

Thanks in advance

I need to mount a .iso and I haven't had to do it in like 6 years. What's the best (free) software for that nowadays? All the top google results are paid-for top ten SEO websites.

How does the condensed liquid in the heat pipes get back to the base, when nearly all heatsinks are mounted at a 90 degree angle to the ground? It can't be gravity unless you use a test bench.

Yeah grub does that. Or you could probably roll something out with EasyBCD.

WinCDEmu

Looks good, thanks!

thanks, didn't know that grub did that

svchost is running AudioEndpointBuilder service at over fucking 143.000 K memory.

I already updated my audio drivers (VIA HD audio because I'm running ASUS) and disabled audio enhancements in the devices window. Anybody knows how to fix this? I'm on W7.

Just installed linux Mint. Trying to install Steam (via software manager) and it's giving me shit.

When I run "steam" via terminal I get this:
Running Steam on linuxmint 18 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
/bin/bash: /home/wm/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /bin/bash)
awk: /home/wm/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1474415843)
[2016-09-24 16:35:53] Startup - updater built Sep 20 2016 18:20:24
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[2016-09-24 16:35:53] Checking for update on startup
[2016-09-24 16:35:53] Checking for available updates...
[2016-09-24 16:36:53] Download failed: http error 0
[2016-09-24 16:36:54] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_ubuntu12 version 1474415843, installed version 1474415843
[2016-09-24 16:36:54] Nothing to do
[2016-09-24 16:36:54] Verifying installation...
[2016-09-24 16:36:54] Performing checksum verification of executable files
[2016-09-24 16:36:54] Verification complete
[2016-09-24 16:38:33] Shutdown

When the terminal reaches "breakpad exception handler" I get a gui pop-up telling me that it "Failed to load steamui.so".

Anyone have any ideas?

Can I safely assume any Displayport cable will be sufficient for 144Hz @1440p?

Capillary action.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

I think so. I use a 10' long displayport cable for 3440x1440 at 100hz no problem. So a 16:9 144hz @1440 should be fine.

Why does my GPU idle 10 degrees hotter in 144Hz mode compared to 120Hz, and is it something I should be worried about?

How would you make the screen look nice after extending the resolution to a higher one than the default?

pls help

If I buy web hosting that offers emails, do I get to choose what comes after @ or is it tied to domain? For instance, [email protected] while having a domain called example.com
or would I have to have reee.com to get it as an email address?

Because 144Hz is more recourse intensive than 120Hz, still at idle it shouldnt be affected that much to run 10°C hotter.

Kill the service and disable it permanently.

I already tried that. The service has Windows Audio as dependency. If I disable it, it'll disable all my audio along with it, and the audio can't work without it.

How do I put zeroes in all the "free" memory of my Debian?

check the core/memory clocks on the gpu, it might be intensive enough for it to switch from 2d mode to 3d mode

Is there any way to disable internet access for an application on CyanogenMod? You can disable and enable tons of stuff but not network connectivity.

If its rooted you can use afwall+ to disable access.

You need to own the domain to route mail for it.

Doesn't CyanogenMod imply I already have root? If not, how do I enable it

Beats me, I don't use cyannogenmod. If it has SuperSU or omse other su app on it then I'd say it is.

k, ty

>Also your eyes get adapted to white balance
That was it, i was outside with one eye covered, colors balanced out after 5 minutes.

Yes, Cyanogenmod gives you root access by default

I need a well-constructed case/chassi/tower for my PC build: ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Vs29Cy

All the parts i have on the list are buyable in Sweden, save for the case.

I want a similar case at around the same price, (although i can go higher) preferrably with a window so i can install some LEDs and be a fucking cool kid.

I recently made some hardware changes and now I need to transfer a HUGE folder from a partition to another so I can nuke the empty one, both are on the same HDD, any good open-source file transfer software? I'm on Windows btw.

Dont buy a GTX 970, get a 1060/1070, if available.

C70?
Corsair 200r?

>
m.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/11/future_of_firefox_is_chrome/

Everything in your brain is just chemical reactions based on sensory input. When you put a certain series of images in front of your brain, you will act a certain way.

Free will is not possible.

How do I use a magnet when it's just in this form?
?xt=urn:btih:DC05F1845E1BF25B27F5EE371FB09407D6A514A8

I use uTorrent and even though I'm able to use magnets when downloading from another site, I'm not sure what to do with it otherwise

I've just upgraded to Firefox 49.01 from 48.02 and now my reload button isn't working anymore. It literally does nothing now.
Did I fuck up with my custom config or is this a common problem?

Just add torrent/Url.

I'm using Classic Theme Restorer. Could that be the culprit?

I literally have to copy and paste the url to a new tab to be able to refresh a thread on Cred Forums every single time right now because nothing else works.

Migration failed for some reason. Guess I'll have to live with the downsides.

i want a vpn for gaming,
any recommendations?
plus points for free week to test

How's this for a first PC Build so far?
pcpartpicker.com/list/NCpKqk

No HDD, keyboard, or mouse because I already have them lying around, and I'll worry about a display later.

Pic not related, I hope

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NCpKqk
i have a 1070+6700+taht mobo
good choice
(i brought 3200mhz ram by mistake)

380W PSU will work but is too weak, get a 500W one.
You could get a better motherboard but yours is just werks tier.
Get a I5-6400/6500 and drop the HSF.
Better case maybe?

Should I update windows 7 now with all the updates and then manually remove all the bad ones before the october cumulative update thing? I haven't updated in like 2 years.

How about this then?
pcpartpicker.com/list/88YXRG

You sure I don't need an HSW?

>Better case maybe?
It looks good and has pretty good reviews for a cheap case...
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353082#

Gov wants all the papers.

Geek Squad wants A+ minimum but will hire someone with more papers

Mom/Pop chop shop wants your blood/race relation.

Back of your truck wants a tax ID and a license. ($500 total last time I checked)

The only bad thing of this case is that it has the PSU in the top.
The rest looks decent.
But since cases are mostly a personal choice, up to you if you get a different one.

If you can afford the 212 EVO, then get it, 6400 comes with a simple HSF but its somewhat loud, 212 EVO is really quiet and does a good job, mostly since you wont overclock.

Also if you can afford it too get a 850 EVO, a SSD is always nice.

why is firefox so garbage now? youtube videos take 15 seconds to start loading

You could always call Microsoft.

I did that once and they just gave me a new key like it was nothing.

I'm trying to search website with a lot of links (job postings, in this case) for specific keywords such as languages, frameworks.
I want to know how many times a specific word is mentioned, and ignore duplicates, meaning if a word is mentioned several times on one page, it only counts as one.

Just got the idea and I haven't really done this type of thing before.
Open for any input.

What's the best way to find your phone's screen resolution in android? Can the screen res apps on google play be tricked?

Are there any raid cards that support 0, 1 and JBOD for 4 drives at max SATA-3 bandwidth that don't cost a fortune?
So far I've only found the Broadcom MegaRAID SAS 9341-4i, but that has a bandwidth cap of 12Gb/s (2 drives) and is a tad expensive.

Ok, thanks for the input.

I'll do some more research and price hunting, but it's good to know these builds are sound.

How can I get the most out of my computer audio wise? Do I have to get a sound card or will a good pair of headphones be enough? It'll be mostly for listening to music.

I've only ever tried Linux on a VM, but now I'm installing Ubuntu MATE on a laptop with an SSD and HDD, and I'm lost as far as partitions go. I basically want the OS on the SSD and all media on the HDD, with a few programs I use often on the SSD. How do I make my partitions? And what's the difference between a primary and logical partition?

Is there an imageviewer for android that displays 2 images at the same time?
Like honeyview book mode? Quickpic doesnt do this.

google the phone model or make your own app and get the screen res

Post in /fltg/ I think they will be more help. If linux is the only OS on the laptop I would make three partitions,

/boot
/main
/stuff

the difference between a primary partition and a logical one is that you need a primary one to boot windows from (so windows must be on a prmiary partition)

but yeah, ask for more deets on the linux general

>google the phone model

My feeling is that the device specs aren't accurate. That's why I'd like to know the true resolution.

bump

not a goddamn thing.

There's Cygwin, Chocolatey, and maybe others.

Don't really know how the top post got in there, I'm bumping the one about the mPCIe card

is it a 4k display? because those run at 1080p in most apps

you could view a test pattern like alternating black and white or something and see if it displays it properly

guys where the fuck is mega?

I need to host 4 gigs of video

mega.co.nz/

It's a 1080 display but I have a feeling it's 720. If I view a 1080 pattern will it be blurred if it's been upscaled?

megaupload.com

Is there a way in Adobe Acrobat X Pro to remove a specific text element from multiple pages on a PDF? For example if I have a text element that says "Suck my dick" on every page of a 300 page PDF, I want to remove all of them without manually deleting the content from every single page. Closest I've found so far is using the Preflight tool to move text elements to a separate layer and then delete it, but that moves all the text and I don't know if it's possible to narrow the focus down to just that specific text.

why the fuck can I not google it

If I install linux to my spare HDD and set it as the default will I be able to select windows in grub or will I have to select the correct drive in the bios.

yes like if you have 540 black lines and in 540 white like black-white-black-white etc then it won't look right when you look at it up close like you'll get grey lines or fewer than 540 lines

maybe this
>In response to a complaint that we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at LumenDatabase.org.

but you still get this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_(service)
which has a link to mega.nz

Are these results pretty bad for an SSD (CrystalDiskMark)?
143 - 134
108 - 103
140 - 133
24 - 61

Are they still pretty good compared to an HDD?

It'd help if we knew what the fucking unit of measurement was.

The unit that's always used on CrystalDiskMark, MB/s.

Testing my HDD I get results that are pretty close actually.

Run Crystal Disk Mark.
Copy/Paste the .txt file you can create with the save option.

Post it here trough

Let me guess, chink or SV300 SSD?

How fucked is my friend? It says he has 9 days left in German

It's a mz-ntd1280/000 (which is fast).

However, it's connected to the mPCIe combo on my Maximus Gene V motherboards, through an M.2 to mSATA adapter.

I'm guessing that slot is to blame. Or maybe the adapter. Or maybe both.

Anyway, the full results of the test was there, don't see what else you need.

This results:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2015 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 92.899 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 88.582 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 0.813 MB/s [ 198.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 0.977 MB/s [ 238.5 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 94.591 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 94.586 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.303 MB/s [ 74.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 1.017 MB/s [ 248.3 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 84.3% (502.4/596.1 GiB)] (x4) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/09/24 12:06:35

here's a thirty minute complaint about the chair, other related complaints in related videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=Rj1dmMH-_V0

Hold on, you connected a M2 SSD to a M2 to mSATA adapter to a mSATA to mPCIe adapter?

i haven't had one but i don't think it's great, but it's hard to find a good chair, maybe look at craigslist if you can find a good used office chair, new good ones can be $1000+

Results:
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : crystalmark.info/
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 142.578 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 134.089 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 107.626 MB/s [ 26275.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 102.565 MB/s [ 25040.3 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 138.392 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 132.121 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 23.358 MB/s [ 5702.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 62.857 MB/s [ 15345.9 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [G: 62.8% (74.8/119.2 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/09/24 21:15:48

>to a mSATA to mPCIe adapter?
Whatever this is:
rog.asus.com/technology/rog-motherboard-innovations/mpcie-combo-card/

It was the only way to make use of the SSD. Now it's not laying around not doing anything. So anything is better than nothing, but if there's any way to make it better, why not query here?

Is there any way I can force HTTPS in qutebrowser?

Successfully built intel-drm-nightly after a couple hiccups. Solves my external monitor lockup problem. Makes some elements flicker on Gnome Shell, however. Nothing suspect in dmesg/journalctl. What might cause this?

Why should i buy those graphic cards instead of the one i intended to buy?

Those are good case reccomendations, but they don't have the clear windows that i wanted. Do you have any cases with clearer, preferably glass windows?

I got a shitty rooted phone and I bought an otg cable to use it with my flash drive. The phone displays a message about Connected cable then dissapears and it doesn't recognize anything I connect it with. I tried stickmount but it doesn't fucking detect anything when connecting. Any way to make this fucking shit work or do I need to buy a 800$ phone :^( ?

On the subject of data storage / archiving:

So i have a fresh 1TB external drive that i'd like to use as a media archive, here are a few concise questions regarding this undertaking:

>what is the 'best' file system for storing ~1TB of mostly media, that'll work well on most if not all common linux distros, and if possible on windows 7, though the latter is not of critical importance.

>what is the most hassle free, but reasonably secure, full disk encryption solution that will again: work with most if not all common linux distros, and if possible still be accessible on windows 7?

Or put simply:
>which are the most versatile solutions for both file system and FDE needs?

The use case being storing media for later playback, depositing tens of GBs every once in a while, retrieving the same at a later time, and most importantly: copying the entire archive onto a fresh, identically set-up disk, for redundancy purposes once finances allow buying new disks.

Is there a free video editor where you can work on layers?

ext4
gpg
ext4 and gpg

My mobo is a MSI 990FXA GAMING
My gpu is a MSI GTX 970

If I got a MSI GTX 1080 GAMING Z, could I use both cards in SLI?

LUKS > Veracrypt > GPG

C70 has a glass window option IIRC.

Because 970 has some problems you might avoid.
The 3.5GB RAM problem actually causes problems on some games.
Also is a old gen card.

No.
Also dont SLI, it even gives worse performance in most games.

Many thanks senpai, will look up and research both immediately.

Here's a rare pepe in return.

asdfasdf

What is the story behind this mysterious lone peer who always has the same stats I do but is one refresh behind?

localhost.

So my mom got an iPad from att for $10/mo i think. Can I jailbreak it?

For a one or two terabyte drive that doesn't' need to be fast what is my best bet

I don't think the issue is if its fast or not. The question you should be looking for is reliability; how long it would last.

they're newer and better

oh yeah i forgot about that part I meant to say I want a reliable drive

One looks HDDs for reliability rather than speed.

Look for HGST or WD.

No. It's not yours.

was playing metal gear when the screen went black, video signal was lost to my monitor, but i could still hear the game audio going. whats the cause of this? this is a fairly recent issue, seeing as i have over 100+ hours on metal gear. could this be a power issue?

i5-4690k
gtx980

No, GPU, Cable or monitor related.

ill look into the gpu. maybe a driver or physical hardware problem? because i play much more intensive games that ramp up temps and ive never had this problem before. also never experienced it while using the computer in general.

You could hear game audio, as in you could still play the game or it simply looped some sample?

sounds like a gpu driver issue, get the latest nvidia driver if you haven't already

Ive been looking into getting a prebuilt gaming PC to play stuff like DS3 and FO4 along with my other steam games, since playing everything at 15 fps on a laptop sucks. I found these two:

cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm4213a&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming

cybertronpc.com/customkititems.asp?kc=gm3600bu&group=play&cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming

The first one looks better, since more/better reviews, lower cost, 8.1, etc. but the other one looks to be more powerful.

Which one could be better for cost/power? I dont need like 120 fps max settings but if I get a steady 30-40 that'd be awesome.

What changes can be made to make better performance? (both are customizable on the site through picking/swapping parts) Is the type of video card more important than the memory on it, like between AMD, GeForce, Nvidia, etc?

If anyone can help me out here I'd really appreciate it. I cant get any help from Cred Forums with this. Thanks.

>prebuilt
Toddlers can put a computer together.
It is all color coded. Only one cable can fit in to one connector

Stop being a faggot

I don't want to mess around buying all the parts or installing an OS. I thought I could ask here since it was a stupid questions thread, not a stupid edgy comments thread.

Not him but, you will spend 40% more than you should and get a shitty PSU buying a prebuilt.

Build your own, its not that hard.
Takes 15 minutes tops for someone inexperienced.

>edgy
There you millennials go again with your buzzwords when you cannot control your safe place.

It is a stupid question, brought with a logical sound answer.

>installing os
Its a new system
You LITERALLY press "next" till you're within windows

cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqar

Ok then if it is that easy, can I ask what's a good build then? I just wanted something I can get, set up, and play. Before I heard that one of those was a good deal. I've seen some "builds" and they have been far more expensive than some prebuilt's, and dont account for the ~$100 or more OS. I just wanted a prebuilt, not to be raged at from random people on g

You are asking something stupid and getting an answer.

What you are doing is the same than if you went into the thinkpad thread and asked which macbook you should buy.

They would tell you which one but they are going to call you retard for it.

The point of building your own PC is that you get what you want with quality parts and be able to upgrade it later on.

Spending a day looking in to parts and learning about it, isnt going to kill you.
If it is too much for you, perhaps you should slave your self with a macbook

logicalincrements.com/

This is the goto for people wanting a good price-performance balance.

Assembling a PC is so easy a gamer can do it.

I'm about to build a gaming PC. Can I install windows 7 or 8.1 instead of Windows 10 and be perfectly fine? Are there any reasons I would need to get W10 over the others for gaming?

DirectX 12, and even older games run better on Windows 10.

>This software must be useful and no one ever build it.
You're retard professor has given you an impossible task. The only thing I could suggest is a program that turns a file into a video and vice versa. Something with multiple ways to do it depending on the media you'll use to save the video

Make a program that has flir cameras on a network. When ever someone farts,a light panel on the ground will light up, the panel then starts flashing and a computer voice announces "methane increases in local quadrant, please evacuate immediately. which flashes another panel several feet away as a "safe zone"

I've found a case i like, your cases aren't sold in Sweden.

Can you please expand a little bit about the Graphics card? It's a 60+ euro difference which isn't deal-breaking for me but it's big enough to warrant an explanation.

GTX 970 has a problem where if a game or program uses more than 3.5GB of VRAM it will slow down, enough to make the game almost unplayable.

Reason why people shitposted for around a year about the 3.5GB meme.
Also is a card from the last generation.

The current generation of cards (GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1080) are way better than it.

GTX 1060 is as powerful as the GTX 970, 1070 is 50% more powerful than 1060 and as powerful and so on.

>TLDR
They are way better because they more recent cards.

Very good, you've convinced me.

Why won't uBlock Origin auto-update work on any device I've tried it on?

Meanwhile filters update there is nothing wrong with it.

Just got a kernel mode exception that turned into a no boot. Did a little troubleshooting to no success, and now I'm getting bios codes "hP" and 30 - neither of which are in the manual. Should I break out the shovels and put this box to rest?

My mother's computer suddenly has OpenDNS blocking random sites.

There is no sign of any software from the company having been installed, and the network DNS settings are all "get default from ISP". The IP that our router connects to for DNS is the same as it always has been from the ISP.

I flushed the DNS and it didn't work.

How do I remove this? No other computers on the network are affected.

Adwcleaner?

I want to sell 4 controllers on Ebay, two gamecube controllers and two original xbox controllers.

Should I get a flat rate priority medium box or a large one? I am gonna package and wrap it with this as well.

store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_841783

You can get virtual credit cards and create a new account every month and get free Netflix forever and ever.

are there any good aftermarket AM1 coolers?
Does it make a difference if my mobo has 4 mounting holes instead of just two?

I know Athlons and shit are incredibly low heat and dont even need fans, but id really just like a cooler that looks a bit better than a little silver cube.

Turns out her work uses OpenDNS and it got cached for some reason. Restarting the computer fixed it.

Medium should be sufficient.

similar situation, which gtx 1060 card would you reccomend to a similar build

You think so?

wut?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127963

WinSAT.exe starts up almost every day at 1AM for me and when it does my computer makes a sound like when you hold the end of a deflating balloon. It also sometimes makes this sound when I play WoW, but only when I play WoW and not other games. HDD Guardian says that everything is healthy but it doesn't sound like that. I've opened it up and checked if the sound comes from the HDD and I'm almost certain it is. Is it dying or could the sound be something else?

just transferred some folders from my hdd to some ssd, then when transferred the ssd to my main pc where i boot from, some folders aren't there while the space looks occupied, what is happening? tried seeing if the folders are hidden.

What is the Daz loader of Windows XP? Or better yet how do I use a key that came with an old computer to activate XP? Ive tried downloading a retail disk installing it and using the activate windows thing and putting in those OEM keys but it doesn't work...

I have an acer chromebook cb3 531. When I looked up the specifications, it says that it has a sdxc card slot. When I was looking up different sd card specifications, it seemed that sdhc/sdxc and uhs weren't necessarily hand in hand. Meaning, that if I bought a uhs-1 sd card, my computer hardward might not necessarily be able to take advantage of the higher read/write speed, I'd be bottlnecked to non-uhs speeds by my computer.

I don't know if this is true, I've been searching around online for 30 min now and can't find a good answer.

If my laptop only tells me that it's sdxc compatible, is it also necessarily sdxc uhs-1/2/3 compatible?

I've been regularly shipping shit through eBay for the last 4 years.

Medium and large flat rate boxes are very common and the post office hands them out for free. Just go to your local post office and ask for one of each if you want to test fit. You can also pick out other priority mail boxes for free there too if you want.

cheers

damn, I meant that it seemed that uhs/sdxc didn't necessarily go hand in hand

If I have unlimited connections open, why is Deluge only letting me download 3 torrents at a time? Do I need to set half connections and attempts/sec to -1?

how do kids boot you off Xbox or PS4.

it's pretty simple to pick up IP's on your router but then what do you do with an IP to knock them offline?

do you LOIC their IP? how fast does your upload need to be?

do you need to pay someone? how much does it cost?

how to establish permanent vpn connection on startup using nordvpn with i3wm

Was Google a mistake?

how can i track down what is using hardware reserved memory?

A few days ago this vertical green line popped up in my LED monitor.

Even without PC signal, it still there, so the problem isnt related to the cables, connections or the signal source.

Any help or extra information about that?

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Should fix it next time if you need to go back to your normal DNS.

monitor kill

>i3wm
This has nothing to do with networking

I was about to install a decoy operating system using veracrypt but I see this message

Do the operating system versions really need to be the same? I was planning on having a windows 7 decoy and windows 10 hidden

There is a Ex-Demo gtx 1060 for $50 cheaper, is it worth buying ex-demo for electronics or is that a bad idea?

what is the best cpu cooler that has the same profile as the AMD stock cooler?

I'm working with a HTPC and it's fucking loud

Win7, want to completely remove the window borders from my browser. Possible?

Is there a "just werks" approach to printing to a network printer from an android device?

I have a text file and if that prints I can graduate to web pages and pdfs, one step at a time here

>printer
>just werks

not in our universe
sorry

>linux derivative
>printers
BAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

used to network-manager which isn't available on i3

nigga what
do you even know what i3 is?

How can I re-enable middle click on Instagram? Instagram has it disabled so I can't middle click open their shit

back when I used to go on h4x0r skiddie forums, the hot thing was a program or system called a bootloader (some people used the euphemism "network stress tester". These basically flooded a target IP address with packets either from 1 program or from someone else's botnet.

This info might be a few years out of date.

Is your printer Google Cloud Print compatible, or permanently attached to a Windows/Mac machine running Chrome? If so, support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?hl=en

Does it still have a decent warranty from the store? If so, I'd go for it.

Cryorig C7

alright. then is there a "just werks" solution for connecting to a shared windows drive? or do I need to find ftp software instead?

also, why in the absolute fuck is /sdcard a location that doesn't refer to my fucking SD card? Am I living in bizarro land?

no, but I might install chrome for that.

I just use ftp to transfer files.
primitive ftp is golden

>sdcard
It is there for legacy support
Its just a symlink to /storage/emulated/legacy

I recently got a refurbished laptop and I'm trying to get bluetooth to work with it. It's a Thinkpad X240 running Windows 7 professional and I am unable to correctly interface with any of my devices.

I can see and scan for devices, as well as successfully pair with them, but that's it. After the pairing I get a prompt saying driver software will download but it's never been successful. I've tried installing all Windows updates and manually searching for drivers in Device Manager but I can't get any "Bluetooth Peripheral Device('s)" to install. What can I do?

ah, well I guess it's mounted as /storage/3662

makes total sense.

My friend just gave me a brand new USB to put TV shows on because doesn't own a fucking computer for some reason and it won't read.

The file system is .RAW for some reason and windows can't format the fucking piece of shit either. What the fuck?

How do I write to a serial port using a C program? Running Archlinux and currently using fopen and fprintf to write to the serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0).
It works, thing is it only works if I run minicom first. Once that is done the program works from then on. Anyone know what minicom is doing? Or should I just pick up a book on linux and go to the serial port chapter?

this happened to my buddy too. Is your friend russian? how many working kidneys do you have?

How do I hide my ipv6 address with open vpn? I use openvpn with nordvpn as my provider on manjaro and every whenever I visit an ip checking site that uses ipv6 it gets my real ipv6 address. I have set ipv6 tun link and it still doesnt work.

My school just handed out laptops to students with windows 10 which has sever limitations and I can't even access the file repair system. Any idea on how to bypass the admin password?

Install a new os

I just got 16 extra GB of RAM in my system and now my pagefile is taking up a lot of my SSD. Should I reduce the size of it to something less absurd or would that adversely affect performance or stability in some way?

Why doesn't the Pixel launcher work on the S4? Is it time to buy a new phone already? ;_;

We have to hand it back by the end of the year.
+ it's tied in to our local file server at our school so I wouldn't have access to that if I removed it.

i jsut turn off IPV6 completely

not worth using that botnet

Dual boot then and delete the partition with the new os once you're done.

>botnet

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the fuck that means. I've been here for 3 hours and have already seen that word 1,000 times.

Good thinking. I'll probably do that for home use but I was also trying to bypass my schools proxy and I'm pretty sure they have a local proxy ontop of the school wifi proxy.

I did but then i relized youtube uses it and that is the one botnet site I will make an exception for

>clearly apart of the botnet
>on Cred Forums
kys

So the power went off from my home yesterday after a storm, my server logs in fine and I have access to it, however it asks me for a root password to mount one of my external harddrives to it, I input that in and it says access denied wrong password when the password to get into the server works just fine, what could be wrong?

you dont need a page file
you definatly dont need a pagefile on an ssd
16gb is more then enough

Get a vpn

Anyone know how to make Microsoft Edge NOT open the last pages I had?

Currently, it opens my custom pages but ALSO opens the last video or whatever, and I DON'T want that

Are you going to be buying a Pixel or Pixel XL when they come out, based on the new leaks? What would you change about them? What wouldn't you change about them?

D-definitely not a Google employee here...h-heh

Why the fuck are you using microsoft edge?

I have 8GB of RAM on my laptop.
I have NEVER used a pagefile for my computer even BEFORE I got an SSD.

Remove ALL pagefiles from ALL drives. It's retarded and a waste of space and writes.

They fucked up IE11's stability with the Anniversary Update, so I'm using Edge for some crap.

Ever since Windows 10, Microsoft crap has been pretty much technological diarrhea. Only reason I use one of the built-in browsers, though, is because they are integrated with Defender, and I have no other AV software.

It's somewhat known that AMD CPUs are kinda shitty for gaming, though I want to ask, are they good for basic computers, like for library or office use? Despite being weak cores, I imagine having 4 cores would be more useful than two stronger cores for such basic tasks.

A VIA CPU would be fine for that shit

They arent shit for gaming. Thats just the intel shills who have to find some way to defend wasting $800 on a socket that is obsolete 3 months later.
>mun single core
Everything is multi threaded multi core

Linux:
gParted.
Windows:
Disk manager.

Format to anything.
Or RMA it.

Yes, but they're not as weak as you think.

Most games use 2-4 cores, and intel has really good single core performance.
That is why people say it is better to have an Intel CPU over AMD CPU.

Unless you are going really low end and going for an APU instead a videocard.

>VIA

ayo hol up

they still exist?

Any C programmers on?

Say I needed to take a coordinate for a 2d array representing a chess board, which tells you where a bishop piece is about to move.

How would I write a program to figure out where the piece is coming from, assuming there's only one piece out of the two on the board that can legally make the move?

I've been able to figure it out for every piece besides the damn bishop...

Yea but to print the label I need to choose a box size, maybe I should ask them to deliver me two different sizes.

>AMD CPUs are kinda shitty for gaming

horse shit. i had a x4 955 for 5 years and it played everything i could throw at it.

that said for office use you could use a dual core athlon from 2006 if you wanted. you can run office applications from a tablet.

What do you mean?

I don't understand the question.

How is shit encrypted on an abrupt shutdown of the encryption software (e.g. power shortage)?

>Family computer suddenly shuts down
>Unable to reboot
>Open the PC hood
>Push the power button
>CPU fan spins for a moment and then stops
>Mobo light is on steady orange
>No beep, no sound, no shit
I'm too dumb to disassemble anything, but is it safe to assume that its fucked?
I can still salvage the RAM and the HDD right?

Its already encrypted.

Yes

No POST?
No BIOS startup?

Fan might be dead or the power supply.

If the power supply is dead, then you just need a new PSU

If the fan, then just replace that.

Sorry man, I am too dumb to know what's POST. Nope, no BIOS.
But from google, they did say if I remove the RAM it goes beep beep. I removed, but still no sounds.

Huh, a dead fan can stop the whole system from booting?

Alright, thanks for the info. What about power supplies? Would it still be wise to get a more expensive brand name PSU, or will even the cheapest chink shit work fine for basic use?

POST = Power on self test.
Aka the beeps or flashes a computer does when it cant boot because something went wrong.

Yes.

so you have an 8x8 array, populated with characters to represent a chess game

you have a bishop 'B' moving from c8 to e6 (array[2][4]). but we don't know that it's moving from c8, because all chess notation usually gives is the piece and the destination.

So how would you figure out it's come from c8?

Is this relevant?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)#Disambiguating_moves

Chess notation differs a little when it gets ambiguous.

>POST = Power on self test.
I see. I'll look up more on how to do this. Thank you very much.

Its done automatically every time the motherboard is turned on and cant start correctly.
You must have some kind of sound device hear it btw.

Different user. Wouldnt the piece be occupying a space on the board already? Couldnt you read the 2d array to see where it came from before writing to the 2d array to move the bishop? Cool project btw.

if the fan on a CPU doesn't work, it can cause the processor to heat up too much and have a thermal shutdown.

If it's the power supply unit, it can mean the motherboard (and processor) isn't getting enough power, so it will fail before it even starts

You could have it search for bishops on the board with a loop, and each time it finds one, test if that's a valid move.
alternatively, you could do a reverse lookup, and from the destination, search for valid moves TO there.

If there are no valid moves in either case, it pauses and tells them to move again.

Or, even more simply, just require a starting position input.

figuring out how to tell if it's a valid move is the part I'm having trouble with.

>You must have some kind of sound device hear it btw.
Is this the mobo beeps? I used to have RAM issues, and the mobo would beep 4 times. But now there are no beeps at all.

I've read a little about thermal shutdown, but could it heat up that fast? Its cut off from power for a night, and booting it next morning still fails.

And yeah, at this moment, I could only pinpoint the CPU or PSU.

Well, you KNOW it's a Bishop, right?

How can a Bishop move? Diagonally.
That means it can move in any of 4 ways:
-x, -x
-x, +x
+x, -x
+x, +x
(where x represents both the x-axis AND y-axis and MUST be equal.)
so, that can be translated to:
down 1, left 1
down 1, right 1
up 1, right 1
up 1, left 1
(assuming x is 1)

oh yeah, so in that case, just look for bishops in all positions (x, x), such that they can get to that area

if there's no heatsink, it can DEFINITELY heat up that fast. Otherwise, probably not immediately, and you can guess it might be the PSU.
but if the motherboard STAYS powered after the fan goes off, the fan is a good option

New Thread

There is a heatsink. The stack from bottom is CPU -> heatsink -> CPU fan.
So even though the CPU fan spun for a split second, it could be faulty?
And I'd assume that the steady orange light on mobo is a pointer that it stays powered?

Take the position its moving to (2,4) and subtract the components from the original position (0,2). So the change on the x component would be 2-0=2 and the y component would be 4-2=2. If the absolute value (ignore positive or negative) change in x and y positions are the same then the piece has moved diagonally.

someone double check me and make sure I'm not talking out my ass.

THAT'S IT!!!

GODDAMN IT I LOVE YOU!

No prob man. Chess thing in C sounds cool. Best of luck!

Don't buy the cheapest shit, but you don't need to spend big bucks either.

Anything with an 80Plus Bronze certification will be good enough quality to not fail and burn your house down.