What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090
watch and be enlightened.

Lol, it's not really about science or computers. It's all problem solving and math.

He was telling the students that they are in an English Lit class.

He meant that computers are not science and that science are not computers.

So rename it. How hard is that?

Which is only partially correct, since computer science clearly encompasses more than just applied lambda calculus.

>GIF
faggot

>and math.
If only I had a smug anime girl so Cred Forums would doubt you.
It's just problem solving.

what the fuck is the point of studying in computer science?

I like computers and science.

it's just so nebulous to me

It's magic

Wut

>I like computers and science
>studies computer science
its okay user, I do retarded shit too

>not getting the joke
I'm posting in a thread about the famous Abelson opening to SICP, what the hell did you make me think that I wasn't making a joke?

He meant you can't be bothered with a blackboard eraser when you're that high on speed.

>what the hell did you make me think that I wasn't making a joke?

He's training his students how to dodge the question "What exactly does a computer scientist do?"
I still don't know what CS grads do, since according to them they aren't code monkeys, but they won't tell me what they do.

Computer science is obviously a formal science though. Whatever he meant by this, he was wrong.

>I do retarded shit too

C'mon, it was supposed to be even more obvious this time...

Well, for my master thesis I ran experiments in a networking testbed and applied statistical analysis to identify the effect of certain mechanisms in TCP on other network traffic.

I'm pretty sure that would count as science.

are her eyebrows really like that or are they epilated?

In many languages it's in fact not computer science but something along the lines of informatics.

In French it's Informatique, in German it's Informatik, in Danish though it's Datalogi

I think those terms are

According to Wikipedia

>the field of informatics has great breadth and encompasses many individual specializations, including disciplines of computer science, information systems, information technology and statistics.

According to older Wikipedia

>a broad academic field encompassing computer science, human-computer interaction, information science, information technology, algorithms, areas of mathematics (especially mathematical logic and category theory), and social sciences

Making computer science a subset of informatics. Computer Science is to math and informatics what chemistry is to physics and biology. And I think reality reflects that, people who solely focus on computer science can be horrible horrible programmers and borderline tech illiterates. They can be very detached from reality (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and come up with immutability in an era in which immutability was not feasible due to hard-ware limitations.

That board is green. A blackboard eraser wouldn't work.

It would turn that part of the board black but it would still work.

> math operators aren't math

modern Cred Forums everybody

let's not pay any attention to the fact that you've all seen this before and you've nothing to learn from this thread

You are some kind of gif-retards. That's what he mean.

>math operators aren't math
By that logic using smileys is also math :^)

lies.

watch the video.
he says that computer science is the equivalent of physics being about particle colliders

time to pick up THE book, user

It's not really a science (all outcomes are pretty much known from the beginning, there's very little experimentation to do with computers) and you don't need a computer to do it (most of the problems are theoretical and can be solved using logical reasoning and mathematics).

Just so you know, programming isn't really computer science. Coming up with algorithms to solve a given problem is CS though.

>It's not really a science (all outcomes are pretty much known from the beginning, there's very little experimentation to do with computers)
See I can assure you that the outcomes were not known from the beginning and it required a lot of testing.

>and you don't need a computer to do it (most of the problems are theoretical and can be solved using logical reasoning and mathematics).
Also wrong, as my experiments showed that the current models and assumptions were incorrect.