/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: >>XXXXXXXX

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

OP Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/steam-libs/
pastebin.com/c9u9MDJj
raymond.cc/blog/download/did/1282/
archwomen.org/
gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_chapter/tar_2.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM
Cred
tldp.org/guides.html
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/54dr4s/victory/
haxe.org/download/linux
wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences
github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/
pastebin.com/hPcYhbCF
tracker.debian.org/news/582499
packages.debian.org/sid/utils/megatools
packages.debian.org/stretch/megatools
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Previously on: >>XXXXXXXX
I fucked up.

Actual previous thread:

What do i need to do to safetly switch to hardened gentoo profile. Also can i use old config for pax kernel?

Regarding rolling releases, if it's been long time since the last system upgrade.
Is it better to run -Syu and fet a large upgrade? or re-install new OS release?

How do I convert archive files like 7z or zip or tar.gz to another archive format?

Uncompress and unpack them, then compress and pack them.

aur.archlinux.org/packages/steam-libs/

I've tried a few times and always failed. This is always the output. Help me out, /fglt/

pastebin.com/c9u9MDJj

I want to change my desktop a little bit but I don't have much experience. I used my custom openbox before, and I'm planning cinnamon since it's quite minimal in terms of applications it comes with. Is there anything bad about cinnamon?

Also is it possible to just go with gnome but not the applications that come with it? How can I do that without having to go through 1000 gnome packages?

Sometimes there are gnome core or minimal metapackages you can install. After that you can install what you like. Probably more like a few hundred packages.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

should i be using google chrome on linux or firefox? right now i have chrome from the aur but it takes a little while to load up also a lot of extensions don't have native support.

i heard linux security is a meme so what should i do to protect my computer? is firejail even necessary?

First go with the threat model meme. Who are you protecting yourself against?

raymond.cc/blog/download/did/1282/

i mainly use public wifi networks in a majory city - library, coffee shops, etc.

i feel like these networks would be hotbeds for hackers and linux machine might be really exploitable?

If it's really been a long time then just try -Syu, and if it comes out bad you can reinstall. Do remember to back-up.

Is there any significant difference?
I have my /Home and separated partition.

Depends on your build and how long it really has been. Which is why you should try -Syu, as it most likely is faster unless it's been 2+ years. There might be issues with some packages, there might not. Check your distro website for news during the period you haven't updated (something you should always do before -Syu). If there are any problems concerning you there will probably be something about it.

Shouldn't upgrading to latest version, bypass whatever issue rises during those times?
Say distro is at versio 13 and version 15 had some issues, and the latest issue is 17.
Shouldn't upgrading from 13 to 17 bypass those?

Install Icecat

Depends. Version 15 may have changed a package making it necessary for you to interfere somehow. Say, depreciating some option. Version 17 retains those changes, and perhaps adds more and to various packages. That's why incremental upgrading so you handle breakage slowly or a complete reinstall seem appealing.

It's my first time installing Linux (Ubuntu MATE) and I'm confused about my partitions. If I have an SSD and an HDD, and just want to use the SSD for the OS and some common programs, how should I set up my partitions? I don't want things like downloads to default to the SSD, just things I choose to install on it. Is that /boot and /home on the SSD or(?)

The browser doesn't matter here. Everyone in the same network with you can manipulate or sniff your connections. That's why https is useful. Use it. Maybe get the https-everywhere browser addon, that should be enough.

You essentially will want to put everything on your SSD and tell your browser and torrent client to send downloads to wherever you mount your HDD later on. As though you unplugged the HDD during installation.

The alternative is to put /home on the HDD which will likely lead to a performance drop.

Man, Stallman's got moves.

What the other user said is correct. What you want is your roo (denoted as just /) to be on the ssd.

You'll also want a swapspace. I recommend putting it on your HDD because 1) ssd's aren't swimming in space and 2) can be needless writes.

2) isn't a big deal if you aren't really concerned with the SSD failure boogeyman (because it is just that) but it won't hurt.

Daily reminder that women matter.
archwomen.org/

No, they don't.

>Want to read Linus book Just For Fun
>It costs money

What did he mean by this?

Anyone?

Kill yourself, sexist retard

So, I finally finished installing and making Manjaro not shit the bed.

Honestly, I have to say I'm impressed coming from arch. It's not doing "anything ground breaking" in terms of its initial presentation, but everything I usually install (with some caveats that I need to make time to remove) is there. It looks good out of box, and has pretty damn fine font-rendering.

The KDE theme it comes with is really fucking comfy, too. And from what I understand, the memelord who can't into SSL is no longer there. Seems like a pretty solid option for those who want the benefits of arch and the AUR, but want a little more safety.

I don't know if I'll necessarily stay with it (I don't like having packages on my system I didn't put there, it's too easy to lose track of shit), but I think it's a pretty cool deal if you've installed arch before and want something similar but different at the same time.

No need, I'm a superior man.

How do I fix this shit?

Get a not-Europoor monitor.

I have no fucking clue, but what happens if you try and install one of those "not found" packages from pacman and see if it still throws you the error for that particular one.

Just a shot in the dark, because if it removes that, then it means the pkgbuild is borked or something. Or it might be yaourt.

You could try downloading the stuff yourself and building outside of yaourt too.

Those are my only ideas.

>and has pretty damn fine font-rendering.
pic not related?

Well for an out of box arch distro, it's more than enough.

I mean have you used antergos, or even worse - debian? Holy hell, the first thing on my agenda after I installed the shitty broadcom drivers was font rendering. I know Debian devs have their feet in freedoms, but you gotta be kidding me with some of that.

I'll tweak it later with my usual settings.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but does Linux (Ubuntu in my case) benefit from a CPU that is hyperthreading-capable vs. one that isn't? What about Linux with full-disk encryption, would that benefit? I'm trying to decide between an i5 and i7 for my next build and have trouble finding answers.

i'm having issues with mousewheel-scrolling on manjaro.
scrolling down is acknowledged as scrolling up every few seconds for a moment, and vise versa.
annoying as hell.
no problems on windows though, any ideas on how to fix it/what the cause is?

If I install linux to my spare HDD and set it as the default will I be able to select windows in grub or will I have to select the correct drive in the bios.

grub should be able to identify OS's across all disks i think. just install grub to the default boot hdd

yes.

When grub generates, it runs "os-prober" to look for other systems on your PC (including windows 7,8, (((9))) and 10.

Word of the wise however - you want to disable fast boot in windows. (google it.) Windows puts your drive in a state of hybrid sleep, so nothing can access that partition. If you're installing Linux to that drive, then I don't think it will be able to resize it either.

Any particular reason you want grub and not select the boot drive instead?

Is this some kind of shitposting or this is real

The group looks real by the mailing list archives. But poster is only using it to get a rise out of folks.

i installed firefox and it was literally so buggy i couldn't operate in it what could be cause?

You?

I really have no idea how tar works

I've been using "tar -xvf" to untar every tarball for the last 8 years and I still have no idea what other commands there are, how it works, or even how to make a tarball

Same with about every Linux user who's started in the last 15 years I'd imagine

Not even specifically -xvf because you don't have to do that particular command at times, but most people just use the command the same way they first see their professor do it or read it in a tutorial

gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_chapter/tar_2.html

Is it good for privacy to have two entirely separate operating system installations, one for anonymous personal stuff and another for work stuff and anything else that needs real information?

I swear there was a time when tar did not automatically recognize the compression type and you had to look at the man page every time because you'd forget the argument for b2z or gz

what linux?
what will you do on that linux?
it can indeed use virtual cores.
Wether you actually need them depends on what you do.
If you're going to use gentoo, then I'd suggest an i7, because more cores(no matter wether virtual or physical) means less compile time.
If you're only going to use it for programming and browsing and you're not going to use a source based distro, then even an i3 is fine.

Linus doesn't give a shit about freedom.

Whats a good looking distro? Preffering debian or ubuntu based

I just got a thinkpad with a 500GB HDD.
How do I partition it?
Do I take ~20GiB for / and the rest for /home?
Do I need more more partitions (a couple of media partitions, so that if one becomes corrupt, I still have the others)?

Manjaro is beautiful. Try the bspwm edition.

About the font rendering: That's not really distro related. A distro may add their personal font config, but the user is always free to change them just like everything else.

No.

it may be distro dependant, but i'd recommend:
512MiB - /boot
2000MiB - swap
20-40GiB - /
* - /home
don't bother with seperate 'media partitions', just don't forcefully shutdown or do anything dumb with your computer

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

any remember how stallman's girlfriend was some guy's wife? does rms only support non-proprietary relationships?

Why do you recommend a boot partition for someone who isn't using UEFI?
Why do you recommend a swap partition with the specific size of 2GB?
Why do you recommend a separate partition for root and home?

Why do you think you need more than 1 partition?

It's a w520 with 8 GiB ram. I don't think I need swap.
Why should I make a separate partition for /boot?

seperate partitions for / and /home are good to use. it allows for encryption of /home without messing with full root encryption & setting bootloaders etc to work with it, and is good for safety & security. having a seperate boot partition is just good practice really, for security can be set to noauto mount too. i like using a 2GiB swap partition because it's a nice amount. i've never seen myself needing more, but any less wouldn't really do me fine

>Why do you think you need more than 1 partition?
If I split my animus across multiple partitions and if one becomes corrupt somehow, I still have more animus left on the other partitions.

I hate fontconfig. I get that it's configurable, but isn't there a way for it to just look consistent and nice without me having to go through a bunch of tedious shit?

How can I get a good fontconfig without making it myself?

make backups on other drives.

Install some fonts
~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf

true

false

true

hintslight

lcddefault

rgb

I've never had to touch that aside from reloading the database when I manually a font. Am I missing out on something?

Where did he specify he was going to encrypt his data?
Why is a separate boot partition good practice?

How often did your partitions get "corrupted"? I've never heard of someone losing data because a specific partition got corrupted.

It's just plain Ubuntu GNOME, with full-disk encryption selected during install. It would be used from everything to browsing, gaming, maybe light media editing, etc. The reason I'm asking is that I noticed that on my current machine (old Core2Duo, also fully encrypted Ubuntu GNOME) the CPU is being taxed heavily, probably because everything constantly needs to be encrypted and decrypted on the fly, so I thought a more powerful CPU with more physical and virtual cores might be helpful, but I couldn't find anything about the performance impact of additional cores.

>want to try dual boot windows/debian
>get pic related error
>google how to fix
>need to launch terminal before boot
>keyboard doesnt turn on fast enough
>tfw too stupid for linux

I'm using Xubuntu and I'm making launchers for programs I commonly use. I just create a launcher, and add the program. However now I want to create a launcher to open my home file folder. Does anyone know how I can do that? I don't want to use the 'places' launcher as I want it to be a single click.

/home/

It happened once, I deleted some files on an ntfs partition, after that I saw the same files in the directory of some anime (the anime was gone) and when I tried to delete that directory, rm command gave me errors like it wasn't there or something. I couldn't delete it no matter what I tried on linux nor on windows.
It's weird, but something like that did happen.

Also, recently, an ntfs partition on my external hard drive got fucked when I download anime on it while watching at the same time via crappy underpowered usb 2.0. Thank god I was able to fix that with chkdsk on windoz.

Although maybe it's just the ntfs format that sucks.

Would you mind sharing some useful rxvt-unicode extensions?

Thank you!

The only one I use is tabbedex

Why do GNU/Linux users bully *BSD users?

Is there anything like overchan for gnu/linux? A browser just multiple imageboards.

Probably only on Cred Forums where it's a shitfest of OS vs OS and Distro vs Distro

yea, there was (damn, that long ago already?)

do note this only applied to GNU tar, other tar implemenatations may differ

Reposting my problem for attention

>Apply Arc-Dark
>Pic related happens no matter what Firefox theme is used
>Other Arc versions work fine
>YouTube search bar text is also fucked, but some CSS fixed that
>Only way I've found to fix pic related with CSS also changes text color of every other instance of a button with text

On Xubuntu btw

I'm using openbox with Debian and am trying to change the keyboard layout. I've tried a few methods, but haven't been able to get any of them to work.
Any ideas?

what the fuck

HALP

So I'm trying to install Ubuntu Server for a light installation (I plan on running i3). I'm having issues getting the installation to detect my RAID 0.

My machine has 3 SSDs, one for storage and 2 in RAID 0 I have configured in the bios. I created a partition on the RAID 0 after loading the Intel Rapid Storage drivers. Windows promptly created 4 partitions. I left the other half of the RAID 0 alone. Im going through the Ubuntu Server installation and it just doesn't detect any of the existing partitions, only the SSD intended for storage.

Im reading stuff about mdadm and modprobe but not exactly sure which way to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Using one method worked for me.

It's the eternal problem with dark themes.

kde looks pretty gud

the difference between them is literally 5 minutes of downloading and applying a theme and icons.

your software raid drivers are not enabled in your kernel/firmware is not installed

>doesn't detect any of the existing partition
Why is that necessary?

Don't you have a full text mode install?

Link below might help on that case
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM

k, never mind, made up some bullshit with CSS that works now

Moving on, is there any way to change Arc-Dark so that the active window is dark instead of blue on the panel without changing the highlight color? I can change it with Theme Configuration, but it also changes the color of highlighted folders and files.

Very nitpicky, I know

Ok, thanks guys, I'll take a look at the link and I'll look into configuring software raid drivers. Question is, if it's configured in the bios, do I still need software raid? In the installer, there's an option when partitioning to configure software raid, it then gives me the option to Create MD device, Delete MD device, and Finish

I click RAID 0, but in the active devices list, all I see is just /dev/sda free #1 with 500GB, which is my storage ssd

does anyone know if openzfs supports or plans to support adding/removing disks from vdevs? last time i used zfs this wasn't the case, but that was several years ago

I'm trying to set the shorcut for cycle windows (reverse) in xfwm4-settings, but when I press shift+alt it sets the shortcut to "ISO Next Group". xev says shift+alt+tab is ISO_Left_Tab.
It's not a big deal but I'm curious as to what's going on. Any ideas?

Im not sure what you are unsure about.

What is an ISO group, what's the ISO next group, what's an ISO left tab, and why is alt+shift ISO Next Group instead of alt+shift?

I already miss the busty girls in the OP.

Because that is how you have configured your keycodes.

>what is
If only there was a way to index the world wide web, and have the ability to query said index to find answers to your query

youre not alone user

I think you're both forever alone

I used the dd command to create a debian bootable usb drive and now however I format the drive, the default label of each partition is debian.. (whatever label it got when I used dd). I have changed the partition table to gpt and the new partitions still had the same label. I changed it back to mbr and it's the same. I can't even change the label of extended partitions.
It doesn't really bother me, I'm just curious as to why this is happening.

>friendly question
>sents him to the botnet
dumb moe poster

We're in good company then.

>implying Cred Forums isn't botnet

>implying Cred Forums is botnet

Are you questioning the integrity of Coogle?

what bit torrent client should i be using?

proprietary, google captcha

prism

The one I'm using.

>put gentoo on USB
>boot into it
>type "install gentoo"
>nothing happens
am I missing key parts of this meme, I don't get it.

the one is using

AHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO FUNNY XD

the one recommends

Try

sudo install gentoo

it's the only true answer, what/which/best questions just lead to multiple different answers and people calling each other retard and faggot

the best program is the program that fits your personal needs best

Human beans use transmission.

Liar.

It's barely proprietary, licensed under a BSD license, and it isn't compromising your security. Google is obviously collecting data, but how does the data coming from reCAPTCHA affect you negatively at all?

Also (at least with Cred Forums x) you can use it without javascript.

You are so special don't let anyone tell you they are better than you they are just filled with hate and deserve your pity.

You're still sending your IP, which get's connected with your search results, other google stuff and three letter agencies.

Show my Cred Forums imageboard source code publicly avalible for download and disection
Cred Forums.org/faq#software

>you cant.

>t. special person who needs to use a tripcode on an anonymous imageboard
1/10, made me reply

>t.
What the fuck is this meme?

Brits think mispronouncing english words and using french abbreviations makes them sound smarter.

>Because that is how you have configured your keycodes.
Something's configured them, but I can't say it's something I've intentionally done.
>ISO Group is a supply chain partner for the defense and aerospace industry whose sole purpose is working with our clients to maintain and sustain critical platforms and equipment.
I found the current one, but what's the next one?

Anyway, I managed to fix it by replacing mentions of ISO_Next_Group with keys that seemed appropriate in my xkb keymap. I wish you told me about ISO groups and sent me to google to solve the problem and not the other way around jtp

t.
Short of tevierseh or something of that sort. It's Finnish for: "Regards."

Often used on Cred Forums and other boards as a way of mocking other users.
OP: Cred Forums is as good now as it was back in its early days.
Responder: t.Australian

>going down t'shop lad?
wtf
I've only seen one person (by the looks of it) using it on Cred Forums. Talk about forced.

retard
this

newfags everywhere

>tevierseh
>this
No, not this.

Whats the colour of your honour?
t. Cucked by the British.

Do the benefits of using Linux over Win or Mac mainly accrue to techies or would the less tech savvy also find certain advantages to using it?

A less tech savvy person will still benefit from it because :
>package manager
>more secure
>no viruses
>light & faster
>easier to customize
>privacy
>save 130€ since they won't buy a windows licence
you can probably find more advantages, but those should be the main one.

no viruses?

are you sure i feel like the linux system is really cluttered anyone who know what they were doing could easily hack it i believe.

well, linux can get viruses technically, but a normal user probably won't, because there are less viruses that targets this OS and if you want to install something on the system you'll do it via the package manager, so you will never download binaries directly from the web.

Maybe I don't know enough on the subject some some user can answer you better, but whenever I read something about a malware targetting linux, it comes from a shitty sysadmin using a weak password for ssh, or not having his system up to date or doing something stupid with some specific software

You can use it like you would use any computer. I've seen complete tech retards use it for simple games and web browsing.

>i believe.

keeping your user password and root password different is a good first step

Watching this made me blush as if he was my dad and embarrassed me in front of the whole school.

ya but most web servers are linux based and many are exploited?

Dope. thnx.

I browse Cred Forums without javascript and only enable it to post, then turn it back off. I'm not worried. My browser is so secure I don't even get (You)s anymore.

Do you use an application dock? Which one?

can you explain how viruses affect systems through web browsers? is it still applicable on linux systems?

linux can't get viruses is a meme the logic has always been hackers target windows as everyone uses windows != linux can't get viruses.

You could potentially download a binary package that contains a trojans and/or malware written especially for linux. I imagine building this package on you system could release the virus.

Of course there are viruses written for linux, just a lot less than windows because the attack surface is much smaller.

How can I get mpd's playing album artwork to show on the desktop? I thought there would be a widget in kde plasma to do this but it seems not.

Can anyone give me a script that greps the only "192.168.**" part from the following output?

; DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu tertiary
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER

just use dig +short

> Can anyone give me a script that greps the only "192.168.**" part from the following output?

try mpDris2 and mutagen

Is this an okay way to run firefox nightly.

>extract .tar.bz2
>mkdir ~/Nightly
>moved the extracted firefox folder to ~/Nightly
>made an .sh with "$~/Nightly/firefox/nightly -no-remote -profile ~/Nightly/firefox/profile"
>Made a launcher with "sh nightly.sh" with the working directory of ~/Nightly

>nightly
It's ok to run daily

Why not just use a symlink?
And why not just use ff dev from your repo?

>Why not just use a symlink?
I could use a symlink. I did a launcher because it's right in the xfce panel.

>And why not just use ff dev from your repo?
Think I'll just do that, It updates less and I don't go into nightly all that much anyways.

I want to give Manjaro Xfce a small partition to dual-boot next to Win10 install.
I'm thinking 10GB/20GB or so.

I'd like ideas or recommendations for what sizes to use for a 10GB Manjaro install and also a 20GB install. What sizes should I use for the partitions? Though, I'm only going to stick picking only of these two partitions for my Manjaro install, 10GB or 20GB

I don't need much..

Gimp
Chrome/Chromium
KeePassX
JDownloader 2
Steam
Discord
Atom
qbittorrent
mpv

cli

fish
megatools
scrot
screenfetch

That's pretty much it for now that I can think of for now.

help me out here

I think a desktop entry would be enough to display it in xfces panel.

I... I-I can't watch the whole thing. My sides are imploding.

Why isn't my laptop booting from usb? It is an arch iso, put onto the usb using dd. When I tell the laptop to boot the usb, it just ignores it and boots into windows.

10gb can be enough but sometimes it can run a bit low. 12-15gb would be safer.
Or put it in a vm, install everything and see how much it takes.

>steam
If you are gonna install games and i386 stuff it will be a bit small.
>fish, chrome, discord, jdownloader2, atom
if you love needless bloat that much you will have problems on 20gb in the long run.
Also i bet you have 50gb spare at least so just use that.
There are quite a few things wrong with your post but you are too new to be roasted. I suggest doing a bit of research on distros, portability and free software.
same

If you understand the boot process to a decent degree, I've always installed Linux a loop mounted image, stored on the windows partition.

Pros:
-Works on top an NTFS partition, so you don't need to play around with partitions if that's an issue
-easily expandable
-easy backups
-super flexible

Cons:
-could be a pain with GUI installers, I'm thinking fedora specifically. Shouldn't be any issue with arch-base
-obviously requires modifying grub/ bootloader entries by hand.

So, guys, arch linux has pissed me off, and I am looking for light weight linux OS for my acer netbook. I was installing crunchbang, until I noticed its been discontinued. Any other suggestions?

>inb4 install gentoo.

bunsenlabs is the community follow up of crunchbang

Are you still in this thread?

This isn't a chatroom. Fuck kindly off.

>requesting more tripfaggotry

Crunchbang/bunsenlabs is not really.much more than installing debian with openbox and tint2.
Debian sid is nice and minimal.

>t. Cred Forums meme senior

>implying a few scripts and an additional tiny repo are worth a fork

sure looks like one to me.

You guys just don't enjoy fun right?

>features just werks
>too bloated

>lightweight just werks
>not worth a fork

It's just like you just want something that doesn't just werk. Werking things are uncool, right?

>>inb4 install gentoo
>Implying that isn't what you should do.

>It's just like you just want something that doesn't just werk. Werking things are uncool, right?
that's why archfags hate manjaro so much ;_;

i think they could have just called it a DE and made it all a metapackage.
I might be a bit biased because i usually do a minimal install and install a minimal WM with dmenu and go from there.

Just installed Fedora after using Antergos for a year.

Redpill me on it.

Any must do's after initial install?

yup, how dare an operating system do what I want?
I want an OS that I have to wrestle into submission, and then remind it of its place every few days.

Is there a file manager that will show large thumbnails when uploading an image?

How do I write to a serial port using a C program? Running Archlinux and currently using fopen and fprintf to write to the serial port (/dev/ttyUSB0).
It works, thing is it only works if I run minicom simultaneously. Once that is done the program works from then on. Anyone know what minicom is doing? Or should I just pick up a book on linux and go to the serial port chapter?

perhaps it's configuring the serial port (baud rate, stop bits, etc)

like any fucking distro, install the programs you use and enjoy.

Thanks for the reply. Now for some reading...

Dear god, my new dock for my 420 has VGA, DisplayPort and DVI out but no HDMI. I have to buy an adaptor or a DVI cable, kek.

No, because it is not a file manager that you open when you upload something.
But to answer your indirect question, you can install the supreme kde plasma 5.

Previous user in last thread said the basicbitch file manager for firefox is embedded. so no thumbnails.

Any other option than KDE?
I like my xfce.
inb4 >discontinued >abandoned >etc

mate is good

Do I need swap with 8GB ram?
I don't use hibernation.

>Any other option than KDE?
You can patch some stuff but I don't know if that works now with gtk3. If you run a *buntu or debian you can install the plasmazilla ppa. Might be something in aur or something for arch fags.

Shame you're not following the conversation.

ah
try nemo

i am pulling the trigger tonight, friends
thank you for all the help, i'm excited to be one of you soon

Getting there user, read a bit more...

>plasmazilla ppa
I'll take a look, thanks.

vivaldi

You're a fucking retard, you know that?
>I have no idea what I'm on about but I'm gonna make some random suggestions anyway even though my answer have no relation to the question

how about file manager thumbnails for chrome shitposting?

Read the post you're referring to again

Is it possible to ignore the 'output' of killall?
for ((x=1; x /dev/null 2>&1 &
done
sleep 25s
killall derp.pl

I get x lines of this:
./all.sh: line 8: 25125 Terminated nohup ~/derp/derp.pl $name > /dev/null 2>&1

WACKY WHEELS is best 'nix game. Even better than tuxracer.

KDialog, it's not a file manager, it's a file picker

sicne i am trying to get into the cyber security business, people have told me that i should know linux command line as good as i can. Any recs on good distros for taht purpose. how good is crunchybag?

Also, is there some way to "skip" the sleep before the time by pressing a button or something?
A lot of the time it finishes early but takes the entire time to go to the next one..

Any distro

I'm liking Budgie Desktop, is Solus OS any good?

>Processor manufacturers release stability and security updates to the processor microcode. While microcode can be updated through the BIOS, the Linux kernel is also able to apply these updates during boot. These updates provide bug fixes that can be critical to the stability of your system. Without these updates, you may experience spurious crashes or unexpected system halts that can be difficult to track down.

>Users of CPUs belonging to the Intel Haswell and Broadwell processor families in particular must install these microcode updates to ensure system stability. But all Intel users should install the updates as a matter of course.

t. Arch wiki

Should I do it?

J. Christ is Stallman a fucking dork. You know he doesn't get any pussy.

Is there anything that I can do to make my Debian laptop run cooler?

i feel so happy right now

I hope you enjoy it

no. it installs backdoors. look up intel ME

thank you, i'm looking forward to learning the ropes

It's really not that hard. The hardest part for me, moving from windows, was the different folder layouts.

undervolt

>I install arch following the guide on the wiki.
>no network when I reboot

>I use the architect installer
>network seems fine

Why?

Yes, any if you use your fm instead of aa stupid file picker, drag&drop just werks.

Configure power saving in tlp/laptop mode tools, see if you need/have nonfree shit that could be the issue, update your kernel if it is new hardware...

I just got down installing debian, took forever since it was doing full HDD encryption.

you might be interested by this website. tldp.org/guides.html

and about the distribution it doesn't really matter

>people that post proud blog-posts when they install something

reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/54dr4s/victory/

Yes. "killall --help" or search for stdout redirection to /dev/null (hint: you already did that in your script).

>all the morning for UEFI
>all the afternoon to get the wifi
>after spending so many times he experience glitches and crashes.

Somehow I feel sorry for him...

Yes, because they totally couldn't have "installed a backdoor" already on the CPU. When you buy a CPU it comes with no microcode, totally, you have to first install it later on, together with a "backdoor". Totally.

Because you didn't follow the guide properly.

You probably didn't 'systemctl start dhcpcd' or whatever.

>Running a completely Stable repository setup
>There is just "one" program package that I really want that is only available to me in Unstable
>It's impossible to get that one package without adding Unstable to my apt sources.list and doing so will completely fuck up my entire setup next time I apt-get update that will update everything on my computer to unstable version.

What do I do? It should not be this way.

Package it yourself. With some luck it might not need newer versions of dependencies than already installed (or available in your repository).

I had the same problem with Haxe. Their installation guide provide a way to install it on stable
haxe.org/download/linux
see wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences

tl;dr : you enable unstable for the packages you want and the other packages of your system will keep using the stable release.

>he fell for the "stable" meme

Dancing is so fucking autistic

I'm compiling genkernel on Gentoo and I am getting "CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set", but in unchecked 64bit in menuconfig. Any ideas?

Is there any way to temporarily switch linux to use a non-persistent mode, just like when you use a live disk/usb?

>temporarily
alt-sysrq-u will unmount your files and remount them in read only mode until you poweroff/reboot. It'' part of the SUB sysrq key sequence after a graphics crash: sync-unmount-boot.

You can just add the source repo of unstable and compile and package that program.

Hey guys I need some help with cron. I opened crontab with sudo (sudo crontab -e) and placed this in there
*/3 * * * * rfkill block bluetooth
*/3 * * * * rfkill block wwan
This is supposed to run those two things every 3 minutes, but it's not working. What am I missing here?

Why do so many of you prefer tiling wms like i3 over "normal" wms?

easier to arrange windows the way I want (side by side, not overlapping etc.) Also it's very nice that if you have two windows side by side you can make one smaller and the other bigger in one action, with a regular wm this will always be two actions.

I'm on the same boat, got it for my uni asus netbook.
The thing was a bitch to setup.

What's "normal" ?

fixed it by using the full path to rfkill

You can try using Gentoo. Its package management system is godlike.

Use one of those filesystems which provides a snapshot feature. Create one after you install everything and then just revert to it after every use.

Why are you blocking them every 3 minutes?

Because they have huge, high-resolution screens and it's convenient to have more than 1 window on screen at a time.

How is Gentoo and its package management relevant at all to his problem?

>temporarily
Never mind, I didn't see that.

& puts shit into the background, which means in human language: don't annoy me, but annoy me when it revieves signals

to avoid that detach the background job from the shell completly:

~/derp/derp.pl $name > /dev/null 2>&1 & disown

no need for nohup

also quote your variables

cronjobs have no environment

it looks like stallman is doing aquarobics but not in a pool

>Why are you blocking them every 3 minutes?
Just because I want them to be always off basically. It might sound retarded but there are multiple things that will turn them on and I don't feel like investigating each of them.

Hm makes sense. I still don't really use/know about environments even though I probably should, I see people use them for python packages and say stuff like "so you won't pollute your environments"

don't worry, I shat on him in the comments

I don't think he gives a fuck

because of multitasking convenience.

do we have a discord channel?

What turns them on?
Either way, it's a really stupid "solution" when things like hardware switches exist or the ability to disable the device. I don't know what can enable it if you blacklist the kernel module.

Thank you. Please shit on this guy too.

I'm trying to compile the dankest GBA emulator but I get compile errors.
github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/
pastebin.com/hPcYhbCF
Can anyone help me understand where the bullshit comes from? Looks like it comes from the zip sources but I did nothing with them.

Tiling window managers enable you to input in multiple windows at once with the same input device?

Did you install all of the dependencies?

Anyone here use powerline?

Looks like a bug in that minizip thing.
Why not use vbam?

On the git page it says there is no hard dependency.

I'll do it if there's no other way, but I'd prefer a non-bloated emulator.

How is vbam bloated?

which linux do you recommend?

Fedora.

Just switched after being on arch for a year. Really comfy and user friendly. Everything literally just works.

what's the best email client for linux that also supports google calendar

bonus if it runs on windows too for my desktop

gmail

Is there a way to print MS word documents ?

openoffice can do that im pretty sure

I'm starting to hate linux more and more every fucking day

Yeah, install office in wine. I'm not kidding, it works a treat.

Just open with libreoffice and print?

>Have debian server
>Disabled root login
>Created user "admin" with sudo permissions
>Created folder /home/admin/app to use as default apache folder
>Set path in apache conf
So now i get permission error
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

what do i do

You use public wifi?! Are you fucking nutz?! Of course it's a hotbed for hackers. It doesn't matter what security you install -- you'll be pawned. Probably already are. Fucking wifi is hacking paradise. Disable that shit.

Doesn't apache use the www user?

something like that, i think it is www-data

# ... your shit
Require all granted

Are there any cons of dualbooting winband linux ?

where do you add that?
in 000-default.conf

>discord
Nonfree pig disgusting
There is an irc channel. We could make a mumble server but it would probably just as empty.

oh, i just saw that i edited:
000-default.conf
instead of:
apache2.conf
everything is working now

Wherever you have your VirtualHost configuration.

Why use multiple monitors if you have workspaces on one good monitor? But yes, you can use one HID for multiple monitors on several window managers.

Linux-libre

It's all open source stuff. Viruses thrive on being able to hide. Not much malware out there targeting Linux because a: not many Linux users to fuck with, and b: many Linux users actually write and read code and will find the virus and delete it pretty damn quick then post a warning and fix on Linux boards. It's damn well the safest OS (GNU with Linux kernel) to have unless -- you don't read code, and you don't follow the community.

any good youtube linux channel?

How do i install this?
tracker.debian.org/news/582499

Yeah bloated hard drive and you still have windows

With stretch or sid repos you can just apt install it
packages.debian.org/sid/utils/megatools

Well it exists: packages.debian.org/stretch/megatools

Did you apt-get update first?

Forgot to take your autism pills today?

>many Linux users actually write and read code
Yeah, no, they don't.

>you don't read code, and you don't follow the community.
That's exactly what most users do. They trust their distro maintainers to do that work for them.

linux users are usually attention whores, they like when people ask them about os.

Few months ago i was at some lecture about ventura capiltal founds and there was some faggot with laptop. He had ubuntu and set loop on apt-get update so people would think that he is some hacker. Green letters over screen, matrix madafaka

That's a copypasta, lurk for two more years before posting again.

Linux users are incredibly common and you can find them like anywhere. What's your point?

Maybe in your country, not in mine.
Most of them are just posers

You just don't know what Linux users are

How is it 2016 but I can't yet install Debian cleanly and configure all my other drives to auto mount through the installation GUI?

Also another question, I used SMXI to install a new kernel but it's a mess because I'm using debian stable and the headers aren't yet available for it, I'm currently just booting into my older kernel via GRUB but is there any way to make the older kernel be the first choice?

How do I switch from Qt 4 to Qt 5 on Gentoo? Should I keep wpa_supplicant from doing it (I can't connect through Ethernet so I don't want to fuck this package up)?

Why don't you have a CLI version?

You can put 'qt5 -qt4' in your make.conf, or just qt5 or qt5 and qt4, depends on what you have and how much conflict it will cause. You could put qt5 in there and enabled qt4 for certain packages that have to be built with qt4.

I'm looking for a DE/WM or Theme that would give me a retro look (preferably a 90s - early 2000s look), which one shall I use, except GNUStep/WindowMaker?

You can change the flag for that package regardless of what you set globally. Why would it fuck it up anyway? If it fucks up just change the flag back and rebuilt it.

Any megatools user?
How can i dwl everything from folder?
megasync is not working
megaget : ERROR: Download failed for '/Root/foldername/': API call 'g' failed: Server returned error ENOENT

>/Root/foldername/

?

Debian/Fedora/OpenSUSE if you're a normal person that wants your OS to be easy to install, use, and maintain.

Gentoo if you like to learn about your system and have pretty find-grained control over everything. It's more time consuming to install, but most Gentoo users will tell you that it's worth the time/effort and you really only have to go through it once.

It's /root/ not /Root/. Linux is case-sensitive.

that is how it is called on Mega. Root, not root

I thought it was your own file system, fair enough. Never used mega.

How to speed up compile thime on Cred Forumsentoo?

Get a better processor. tmpfs. ccache.

Use minimal useflags.

How can i do:
list all files from folder, save output in file lile:
something filename;
something filename2;
etc
?

I know i can ls -1 > file but how can i add word in line start and end

Did you set the proper jobs value in your make.conf file for your CPU?

The general rule of thumb is to use the number of cores your CPU has plus 1. So in my case I'm using an i7 which has 8 cores, my jobs value is set to 9.
>MAKEOPTS="-j9"

Can someone explain why perfect (no dependency hell), and even universal, Linux package management is such a difficult issue?

Why is Ubuntu's new "snap" package manager resorting to Windows style redundant libraries?

I don't get why it's so difficult. I mean, why not do something similar to "snaps" but instead just symlink to the libraries on our system, if the library doesn't exist, create it. Piece of cake.
and you can take care of knowing when a library is no longer needed by simply having some kind of "library registry" which just stores a list of all the packages using each library, when a library has no packages using it it can be removed.

What am I missing?

made a new one

The advantage of something like snap is that the developer of the program does not have to care about the distro it's going to be used on at all. So he can make a general Linux snap package and doesn't need a package for each and every distribution under the sun.

Just using system libraries is not an option due to different versions, and just replacing them is not an option either due to possibly breaking other packages.

Ok but my understanding is that libraries are actually stored on our systems with their own version numbers, so there shouldn't be any conflict.

Is this all just because developers make their programs call "library.so" instead of more specifically "library-2.5.so"?

Wouldn't all our dependency problems be solved if we just forced application developers to specify the version of the packages their calling?

Just stop.
Go read basic system management within linux.
You're embarrassing your self

So, you want to recompile everything under the sun in case a minor bug gets fixed in a library?

Ignore intel HT?

I think you're supposed to go with however many cores are listed by
>cat /proc/cpuinfo

I think hyperthreading does count, but just use whatever you see in cpuinfo.