WebM thread

I have decided to make a single thread all things WebM because many of you are getting upset and name calling me. I will contain my "autism" as you have so hurtfully stated to this thread temporarily. I hope this makes some of you feel better.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/richman-stallard/webm-by-dbt
developers.google.com/speed/webp/
aww.moe/za0hg2.webp
my.mixtape.moe/tcxluu.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=ByH7RMsMxBY
flif.info/index.html
sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg-turbo/mailman/message/27756109/
developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9099000
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First I will discuss how I was able to turn extremely bloated images into tiny compact WebMs. Basically all you need is ffmpeg installed and a desktop windows OS.

The following are scripts which can convert entire directories of images into tiny compact WebMs.

JPG
for %%f IN (*.jpg) do (
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i "%%~nf.jpg" -an -c:v libvpx -qmin 16 -qmax 16 -crf 16 -quality best -threads 4 -t 2 -r 1 "%%~nf.webm"
)

PNG
for %%f IN (*.png) do (
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i "%%~nf.png" -an -c:v libvpx -qmin 16 -qmax 16 -crf 16 -quality best -threads 4 -t 2 -r 1 "%%~nf.webm"
)

Next I will discuss how to turn GIFs or videos into WebMs.

Script for GIF to WEBM:
for %%f IN (*.gif) do (
ffmpeg -i "%%~nf.gif" -an -c:v libvpx -qmin 0 -qmax 40 -crf 20 -b:v 1000k "%%~nf.webm"
)
pause

If you want to convert videos to WebMs simply make a copy of the script above and replace all mentions of .gif to mp4/mkv or whatever.

This is retarded.

Ideally Cred Forums would support uploading webp images, as well as vp9 webm.

>Ideally Cred Forums would support uploading webp images, as well as vp9 webm.
VP9 is pretty cpu intensive so I can kinda understand the aversion to it at least for another 2 or so years. Not supporting webp is pretty dam retarded though, it's a great all in one image format that replaces PNG, JPG, and even GIF.

Here is an example of why I encode images to Webp.

File size: 652KB

Now here is the WebM version of it.

File size: 69KB

It's literally ~10% the file size of the PNG. While there is quality loss it is not as huge as some of you make it out to be.

This is a bad example because PNG is not the right format for that kind of image, seeing images that big and of that subject in PNG is really quite rare.

Even at 98% quality of the PNG, that image in JPG format is at a file size more than OK for today or 10 years ago internet speeds.

I guess but my main point here is how efficient VP8 (which is used in WebP) is at compressing images.

JPG needs 2X the file size to achieve similar quality of VP8 images. While this may not mean much at low resolutions it can make a world of difference in 4K and higher res images.

but how do I make 1:30min webms with decent quality and audio but under 4mb

Check the archive for making 1 frame WebMs.

Fun fact: WebP was support in the beta version of the latest Mac OS but was removed before the final release.

You can't.

You can only complain about it on /qa/ where Hiro won't read it anyway

Only solution would be to reduce the resolution to ~360p and play around with the CRF and QMIN/QMAX settings until something clicks. Depending on how much movement there is in the video this can be pretty challenging. Also just encode Vorbis at 48kbps, video is more important than audio desu.

Why? What is your goal with this? Why would anyone do this in [current year]? Can I send you a blue textile? Cause your control group clearly forgot it.

Just stop.

Dont forget ffplay and ffprobe.

M8 I just want to show people that JPG and PNG are fucking garbage and need to go away.

I never use those, don't see what benefit they would provide.

thank you based webm poster

you keep doing what you're doing

But why?????

What would anyone gain from this?

If your are really sick, I mean you truely have autism I sorry for you.

Glad you appreciate my work.

Maybe people will realize that we should finally adopt webp at least on Cred Forums. You see no matter how fast your internet connections is, Cred Forums cannot deliver content to you at say 1Gbps. So if smaller file sizes are used for images then there will be less strain on 4chin servers and everyone can get their content faster. Everybody wins.

Here is an example of why I encode GIFs to Webms

File size: 2.49MB

Now here is the WebM version of it.

File size: 197 KB

Less than 8% the file size of the big fat GIF.

Bump. This is the most interesting thread I've seen all day.

stuff i kept in a txt file, copied from early webm threads when this was new

ffmpeg -i your_video.mkv -ss 00:00:10.000 -to 00:00:20.000 -c:v libvpx -crf 4 -b:v 1500K -vf scale=640:-1 -an output.webm

ffmpeg -v verbose -i "INPUT_FILE.mkv" -ss 00:07:18.43 -to 00:07:56.47 -threads 1 -pass 1 -quality best -slices 8 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 16 -an -sn -vf scale=-1:-1 -c:v libvpx $BITRATE -f webm NUL -y
ffmpeg -v verbose -i "INPUT_FILE.mkv" -ss 00:07:18.43 -to 00:07:56.47 -threads 1 -pass 1 -quality best -slices 8 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 16 -an -sn -vf scale=-1:-1 -c:v libvpx -b:v $BITRATE -f webm NUL -y

replace threads with however many cores your processor has, and bitrate with (3*8192)/LENGTH_OF_SELECTION_IN_SECONDS

also you can have the -fs option set a hard limit on your video, expressed in bytes like -fs 3000000

hope this helps, from Cred Forums

subtitles

actually yes, also I'm samefag from Cred Forums
how to embed subs:

This is for dumping fonts for videos that use custom ones, mostly for weeb shit:
ffmpeg -v verbose -dump_attachment:t "" -i "Video.mkv

ffmpeg -v verbose -i
Find the stream for your subs
e.g. #0.3 would be stream 3

ffmpeg -v verbose -i "Video.mkv" -ss 00:02:00.00 -to 00:04:00.00 -an -vn -codec:s:3 ass subs.ass

then, just put subtitles under the filters when you go to encode the video, like so: -vf scale=640:-1,subtitles=subs.ass

this might not work completely on windows the first time though because you might run into fontconfig errors. I'm not entirely familiar with them or what fixes them since I don't run windows.

try enclosing the filter arguments in quotes
like -vf "scale=-1:-1,subtitles=subs.ass"
or try ass=subs.ass instead of subtitles

its dicks like you that keep me from fapping to all the fucking webms on /gif/ on my iPhone

#makegifgreatagain

>his phone can't display webms
haha what?

Cred Forums webm thread? Cred Forums webm thread

>pay $700
>can't view webms

>iPhone

Even Windows phone can view Cred Forums webm.

I've seen the light, OP. Your autism worked.
We definitely need to replace JPG and PNG with something more efficient.

WebP seems to only be supported in Chrome, though.

And here is a jpeg that size? Why the fuck use a video codec for pictures, when jpeg is already good enough, wider supported and easier to handle by hw and sw?

The webm is slightly better, though. Anyway, OP's point is not that we should start using webm for pictures.

Exactly.

Methinks OP is just trying a little too hard to be hip

Time to shill the script I made that lets you quickly and easily make several webm clips from the same source file which conform to the 3 MB limit (4 with sound) and creates log files.

github.com/richman-stallard/webm-by-dbt

the webp package includes vwebp

>All these filty casuals not using two pass encoding or avisynth scrips as input

>The webm is slightly better, though
It's not.

>le encoding wizard

Is the Xperia Play multitudes more powerful than a PSP?

Thanks Richman.

Yes

OFF BY ONE

#REKT

Do you have a script that does all of the following?
>set custom width & height
>set start time & end time
or
>set start frame & end frame
>X threads & two-pass
and it would use as much calculated bitrate possible to reach exactly 3,145,728 bytes or 4,194,304 bytes.
I do this manually and it takes way too many trial and error encodes to reach 3,145,728 bytes.

>webp isn't supported by firefox
>js shim enables webp support for firefox
>displays webp in client browser in webm container
>everybody on Cred Forums blocks js

combination of;
- low movement/complexity content
- low resolution
- avoid adding unnecessary keyframes

encoders are too unpredictable

most of my shit comes to 2.90-3mb or 3.90-4mb so it's good enough for me

also i'd rather do the video editing on a gui editor instead of the command line

Firefox announced that they're adding native WebP.

We have a wiki for a reason.

They also announced they would support VP9 youtube streams.

-vframes 1 stupid

If it's broken then don't fix it. I get a feeling that will fuck up the output somehow.

As a fellow autist I order you to cease and desist OP.

>no fun allowed
Good luck with that.

Keep it up

>16X smaller
noice

>there is quality loss
Stopped reading there

>expects a smaller file
>demands no quality be lost
kys

Lossless compression is a thing you know.

Yeah but it doesn't save much space. Webp in lossless encoding mode (RGBA) will only shave off like 25% off a heavily compressed lossless PNG.

How do I run this?

please respond

>Massive loss of image sharpness on the birds

Wow, this is the power of jpeg.

That's beside the point, was implying it's impossible to reduce file sizes without loss of quality which isn't necessarily the case.

>install ffmpeg
>open notepad in windows
>save as script.bat
>select all files type
>put it in a folder with images
>double click on it
wow

Edge cucks can't see this lel

He does have autism. It's the same fucking douchebag that keeps posting pic related all the damn time. In fact, he probably made the image to begin with.

heathens who cant see the light

Fuck off, douchebag autismo

Just wait another 5 years for FLIF to become stable.

What about WebP?
developers.google.com/speed/webp/

Cred Forums doesn't support webp

>66kb
>1mb

Those are all objectively good reasons why you should never invest in an iPhone. Why are you hating on it?

is that lewis hammilton?

This. Hope our new owner finally lets us upload webp images.

I'm not hating the image you jackass. I hate Apple.

I hate the fucking asshole that posts it and his webms even more than Apple and I didn't think that was possible.

>sent from my iPhone

Lossless WebP version is 114kB.
I hate to admit it but Jewgle did a good job.

aww.moe/za0hg2.webp

Well looks like hard days are ahead of you pal. This thread just exposed his autism and is infecting others. Soon only static webms will be used for images on Cred Forums (unless webp is allowed).

Also you do kinda sound like an undercover itoddler desu. What he does pisses iPhone users off because either they can't open webms or have to jump through numerous hoops to do so.

wtf...

you know this isn't the first time this has happened, right?

Yeah but I get the feeling it will generate popularity Cred Forumsentoomen. After all, pissing off aplel users is a great pastime activity for us all.

Please stop posting your dumb static webms. They're always encoded to look worse than the original image, they can't be returned to thumbnail by clicking on them (you need to click the [Close] button), and transparency doesn't work on Chromium or Firefox.

Wait for WebP.

>Wait for WebP
You gonna tell us to wait for Zen+ as well fucboi?

No, I don't care about your thinly veiled Cred Forums shit

>based webm-san saving Cred Forums

Thanks OP, you're a cool guy.

Nope.

Let's go a little lower shall we?

So much noise

Why does the file size go up to 38KB when I save it? Did you hack Cred Forums?

Are you using a shitty operating system?

>already has the jpeg version on their PC
>converts it to webm
>uploads converted version so other people can also enjoy saving kilobytes of data

This is why you are 100% autism
no one but you gives a shit about this.

I'm on Windows 7. Also tried to download your image on my Android phone running lollipop, same thing. I'm not gonna report you but how did you fake the file size? I'm amused.

but muh internet cap
muh loading times

Then why are 37 posters in this thread including (You)?

Don't visit a fucking image board then and use a text browser.

You realize smaller image file sizes improve loading times across all internet connections right? Even if you have a 1Gbps internet connection it doesn't mean 4chab can serve you shit at those speeds.

No one gives a shit about this fucking "mission". The number of posters could mean whatever the fuck you want it to, or not. Stupid fag.

You can also use Opera and enable compression.

Anyway this is still pretty useful for high res images (4K+). Hope Cred Forums adopts webp soon so we can leave behind JPG and PNG for good.

Why are you so upset? It's as if you were an itoddler having problems with webm or something.

>im not gonna report you
>how did you fake the file size
kek

Nah. You're just a cock m8

my.mixtape.moe/tcxluu.webm
ffmpeg -i bad_apple.flv -filter_complex 'format=rgba[t];[t]colorchannelmixer=rr=0:gg=0:bb=0:aa=0:ar=1[s];[s]lutrgb=a=(negval-2)*1.01' -pix_fmt yuva420p -y bad_apple_alpha.webm

What about FLIF, its lossless so it doesn't trigger the different kind of autists and offers much better compression ratios? Its progressive loading could even be used for thumbnails saving Hiro even more bandwidth

youtube.com/watch?v=ByH7RMsMxBY

It's been in alpha development for eons so we can safely say it's DOA. Beside Webp has lossless RGBA encoding which is 25-50% more efficient than lossless PNG so FLIF is not needed.

What were you trying to accomplish? All I saw was a black still background with weeb music playing.

>'format=rgba[t];[t]colorchannelmixer=rr=0:gg=0:bb=0:aa=0:ar=1[s];[s]lutrgb=a=(negval-2)*1.01'
probably invert values

except it isn't, it actually takes puts white shit in transparent, it looks pretty cool

And how do you do this in Linux?

swap ffmpeg for avconv

If you can't modify what op posted to work maybe you should just close the terminal window and never open it again. Blindly running scripts found on internet is a terrible idea anyway

Hmm can you show me a screenshot of what we should be seeing? Also what program did you use? Chrome and Opera just display a black background.

Fuck knows, why are you even using a server OS? Are you still at work? If so then you should really wait until you get home and book up your windows PC to get on Cred Forums m8.

new release just few days ago senpai

>avconv
holy shit, kys. ffmpeg works just fine, no need to use that sjw-shait that is intentionally breaking APIs left and right just because they got some sand in they vajayjays

chrome, it looks awesome tbqh being 60 fps makes it even better

kys captain autismo

>new release just few days ago senpai
>"WARNING: FLIF is a work in progress. The format is not finalized yet. Any small or large change in the algorithm will most likely mean that FLIF files encoded with an older version will no longer be correctly decoded by a newer version. Keep this in mind."

flif.info/index.html

Still in alpha development so DOA like I said. FLIF is pretty much the daala of image codecs.

Uploading a short section of that webm in Cred Forums friendly format. I can only play that .moe link in fullscreen unfortunately.

>"DOA"
>Initial release 3 October 2015
>"Yeah, they can't even finish their project in a year so just use our Google VP8 instead :^)"

this looks all black

Hmm all I did was mux it into another webm with mkvtoolnix. Either that fucked it up user is trolling us.

yours look black, mine doesn't. if you are playing it with your browser make sure its not completely black the background or if its a video player do the same

not him
can confirm this issue, my system is shit though.
opened in mpv and mplayer does same issue

We have to go deeper.
webm btfo :3

By now they should have finalized decoder and just a work in progress encoder. They don't. Either FLIF is being abandoned by devs or they could not deliver.

Also while Webp does use code from the VP8 video codec it's not the same. It's obviously better for compressing images and features RGBA lossless compression as well.

Why is that JPG 20KB when I download it?

wtf...

Are you hacking Cred Forums?

Get off my Cred Forums you fucking hacker.

No.
This is all I did.

Oh wait you're that autist using a SJW mozjpeg JPG encoder aren't you? Well mozjpeg turned out to be a huge joke that is full of decoding problems. Cred Forums will automatically convert your mozjpeg shit to normal JPGs and serve those to everyone.

I like this thread

I'm using libjpeg-turbo

No you're not. Otherwise Cred Forums wouldn't need to convert your abomination to a normal JPG with 2X the file size.

I am lol.

Jesus christ almightly.

sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg-turbo/mailman/message/27756109/

Then something is wrong with your encoder. Not surprising since you're using loonix shit. Broken software is expected with that OS.

Someone make an 8 KB webm version

>using webm for retards
>the quality of the video always suffers
Is this unavoidable or a compromise for file size? As in, could the quality be retained albeit at a larger (but smaller than conventional mp4/mkv/etc) file sizes?

Naw its normal for libjpeg-turbo to increase the file size by as much as 2x depending on the settings you use.

What I'm saying is something is wrong with the JPGs you encode because Cred Forums serves another version of your uploaded JPG 2X the file size. If you have a normal JPG then Cred Forums will use the same version you uploaded and serve that to everyone.

That doesn't mean something is wrong with my image lol ur fukin dumb kid.

how did I do?

You all scream autism but you have to remember that is was autism that brought us: the dictionary, out of the MPEG-1 dark ages, and so much more. Hopefully Cred Forums finally adopts webp so we can all move on with our lives and not have to cram images into static webms to save space.

Oh shit lmao.

You're doing gods work, OP

Keep it up. Fuck the mods or janitors and fuck hiroshima and fuck these reddit whiners in here.

>Keep it up. Fuck the mods or janitors and fuck hiroshima and fuck these reddit whiners in here.
do you grasp the context of the thread?

What command did you use?

That actually looks amazing for 8KB, holy shit. Do a 8KB JPG, it will probably have severe color bleeding and a fuckton of artifacts.

what do you need webm for?
what can it do that jpeg can't?

i="out.jpg"; ffmpeg -r 10 -pix_fmt monob -f rawvideo -s 160x120 -i

It even downloads to 8 KB unlike the JPG.

baka see

>caring about filesize where storage is cheaper than dirt

That's fucking spooky m8. Is it really Cred Forums converting a broken JPG into a normal one or did someone hack Cred Forums?

COURAGE

>what do you need webm for?
>what can it do that jpeg can't?
>File: out.jpg (3.82 MB, 4096x995)
when you convert audio/video using imagemagick the converted file size stays fairly close to the original file size

Storage isn't the problem, it's bandwidth, specifically the bandwidth Cred Forums has to serve you shit. You may have a 1, 000 Mbps internet connection but Cred Forums is limited to serving you things at ~8 Mbps. So basically smaller file sizes would improve loading times across all connections which is nice.

Yeah this may mean jack shit at low resolutions but it starts to add up especially above 480p images.

what show is this

>Cred Forums is limited to serving you things at ~8 Mbps
That isn't true I just pulled at 23.28mbps

read or die

That's why I said "~". Though I doubt you can get those speeds during the day when mostly everyone is active here though.

>during the day

Pff you were just guessing, it isn't actually limited to anywhere near ~8mbps

>implying the world doesn't revolve around America

>implying

Yeah, I guess (heh).

Cool!

buy more captcha passes so Hiromoot can improve the servers

that's more realistic than either the userbase taking means to change their content or how it's produced

Unless you're suggesting Cred Forums converting the content uploaded to it would be a more efficient use of resources?

>tfw have no idea how this webm is so clean

I've literally never thought Cred Forums was running too slow to use.

Someone just needs to make a script or program that automatically converts their images to webms. People on Cred Forums would post them just to spite Apple users.

More money isn't guaranteed to increase available bandwidth

But you still have to wait for content to load. If said content was 50% smaller then you would wait 50% less. 2 seconds instead of 4. It would all add up long term.

kek this

That...idea has merit.

developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery

tfw palememe support it but ff don't.

>quality loss
DROPPED

fuck off
u
c
k
o
f
f

ban this autistic retard !!

I can't zoom in on that piece of shit

Are you retarded? Even the 60% jpeg looks clearly sharper than your shitty webm.

>tfw some part of me genuinely thinks that's cool
I hate me

Hiro won't let me post lossless VP9 so:
% du -sh what\ have\ we\ done* 1474662225724.png
392K what have we done-vp9lossless.webm
64K what have we done.webm
808K 1474662225724.png

How do I shill for a sitewide audio webm support?

If you look at other imageboards that support audio, there was never a problem with that. All the fears that Moot held so dear were proven wrong. His legacy and vision is moot.

make me a gui program that I can use on my windows and I will happily support your autism op.

op make this into a webm

OP is faggot who uses terrible quality settings

ty

>All the fears that Moot held so dear were proven wrong.

He was bullshitting.

His real worry was that people would use webms instead of Jewtube embeds, using more Cred Forums bandwidth and cutting into his profits.

just get fucking vlc player for iOS and just watch 'em via that. Problem solved, faglord.
Next time buy a phone that decently supports Cred Forums memerys.

>not utilising the 3MB limit

There might be another part in this. There seems to be a deal between Google and Cred Forums over the captcha. Google might've been interested in getting traffic for Youtube from Cred Forums in return.

>There seems to be a deal between Google and Cred Forums over the captcha.

The Google captcha uses complex fingerprinting and they use it to track the user everywhere they go with cookies/ips/scripts so it's probably worth something.

Jewtube probably gets a lot of traffic anyway.

Fuck off, you stupid tin-foils. Not everything has some SUPAH SEKRET JEWISH MEANING behind it

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9099000

There's an article about it linked here.

I can't link the article directly since it's been put on Cred Forums's spam filter.

The way the capcha is used on Cred Forums does give google the technical ability to match what you post (despite it supposedly being anonymous) with the profile they have on you. Of course google is going to [ab]use that as profiling internet users is how they make their money

Looks like Read or Die. Not sure if that's from the OVA or the series.

>Jewtube probably gets a lot of traffic anyway.

What I'm saying is that Cred Forums gives some significant traffic back to Google/Youtube by using embedded videos. No audio and lack of support for webm on some platforms stalls the growth of the internal network of video sharing, Due to this Youtube sources get precedence. Google might've given a deal to Moot to keep webm at bay in exchange for catpcha services.

Google benefits from the captcha service on Cred Forums since they can use it to track all the goyim posting here.

see
The captcha here shares the data it gets with google's search engine, gmail, youtube, chrome, sites with google analytics, android etc.

>>
>The captcha here shares the data it gets with google's search engine, gmail, youtube, chrome, sites with google analytics, android etc.

source: my ass

How do you think Google knows you're not a robot beforehand?

behavioral cues, such as where users click, how long they linger over a checkbox, and their typing cadence

You do know it may fill in you're not a robot beforehand, irrelevant of the website? That means Google tracks your overall captcha progress.

you're an idiot but then of course this is Cred Forums.

>There is no evidence Google is doing, or is planning to do, anything nefarious with the information the new No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA scans and collects — and it's unlikely Google ever would use the data scraped through the software for advertising purposes.

wow its fucking nothing
amazing

>However, as AdTruth’s Collier pointed out, the key issue is a question of trust: Google’s own marketing around the launch of the No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA is scant on details about the user data the software assesses, although the company did acknowledge in a blog post in 2013 that the software looks at engagement “before, during, and after” a CAPTCHA interaction.

>Business Insider could only find one article, from Wired, in which it was explained that Google also examines cookies and IP addresses alongside mouse movements and typing behaviour (but nothing to do with a fingerprint) to determine whether that user “is the same friendly human Google remembers from elsewhere on the web.”

What is so hard about saving the script as a batch file and clicking on it?

FUCK you I'm here to learn not fap!!!!

>also i'd rather do the video editing on a gui editor instead of the command line
pussy

you can see some artifacts at the wings, wew

the bash solution
for f in *.gif; do
ffmpeg -i "$f" -an -c:v libvpx -qmin 0 -qmax 40 -crf 20 -b:v 1000k "${f/gif/webm}"
done

so bug ridden, never passes the junit