Why is CS such a joke?

Why is CS such a joke?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Data-Structures-Algorithms-Java-6th-ebook/dp/B00JDRQF8C
mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms
css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>t. unemployed

What point is it you're trying to make with that image?

is there something wrong with just going Cormen?

because most of them want to work for google or making games and don't understand that good programing is just like all engineering, you are a problem solver not a calculator.

No, CLRS is fantastic.

>tfw my uni requres calc 3 + diff EQ for CS
>tfw suck at math

because industry demands more "coders" who the capitalists can pay $15/hour.

you can fight back by making everything so complex no brainlet could possibly handle it. this is why to program a todo list in javascript you need to understand a few dozen libraries and build tools.

webpack, typescript, functional programming, rxjs etc are your friend, convince your employer you need it if you want job security.

lol you'll never uses diff EQ for comp sci unless you're richard feynman. apparently he somehow used partial differential equations to solve some programming/hardware problem for a router but they didn't quite trust his result as the normal approaches gave a different answer. ultimately they had to go by feynamn's answer due to some limitation and he was right.

>$15/hour
In Rajeshland it's a top-tier salary.

Speaking of data structures. Any decent books out there on data structures for C++? Taking a class on it atm and the book the teacher recommends is horrible.

I get paid $50 an hour and that's just my base salary.

>not leaving programming as hobby

in america it's the minimum a person can live off and still be a productive member of society. that's why it's the equilibrium price in a capitalist society.

not for long, you're clearly too dumb to comprehend what I'm saying and that's why you'll ultimately lose.

No I won't. I'll be perfectly fine. :^)

>Implying either is harder than discrete

>tfw I have to take all of those classes along with diff eq or combinatorics, applied stats, discrete math, and linear algebra
>I suck at math as well

Discrete is fucking easy, what are you talking about?

> this is why to program a todo list in javascript you need to understand a few dozen libraries and build tools.
I believe at this point the JavaScript world managed to overtake Java enterprise best practices in complexity with a big margin.

forgot about linear algebra as well. that went by easy since the grad student that taught us gave up on grading the exams and passed everyone that took all the exams.

I encountered them once when learning about annealing and adaptive learning rates of neural networks.
But yeah, they're really not important for CS in general

>discrete
>hard
You fucking what?

> study physics
> barely manage to pass later test
> change to CS
> perfect scores in a lot of tests
Well i like it even when its just for my ego

Don't confuse computer science with software engineering.
Don't confuse software engineering with coding
Don't confuse coding with hacking.
Don't confuse hacking with scripting
Don't confuse scripting with posting on Cred Forums

> mfw I studied Software Engineering
> mfw cheated through math classes in the first semesters
> mfw there are tons of well paid consultant jobs for dumb cunts like me
> mfw bullshit yourself through life and pay Indian developers to do your work
If you are not at a top tier university and work for top tier companies like Google CS is a massive waste of your time.

I had an autistic professor for that class. He ran some linux distro on his netbook and wrote all of his assignments in latex. Pretty much only went through a shit ton of proofs each class and never taught us how to apply them.

>you don't need math in CS

You all must have shit jobs

>if you're an absolute idiot CS is a waste of time
So Software Engineering are for people too dumb to do CS?

SE is literally a meme degree where a live. Autists without a degree are more likely to get hired than people who studied SE.

what is even the problem in the image??

You're a fucking idiot. If you've never used differential equations in your work, you're not doing computer science, you're a code monkey.

I'm a software engineer and I can't even get a job as a code monkey. I wish I knew then what I know now.

>mfw my calculus 2 teacher was younger than me when I took it
>I was 20

We were 200 in first year.
30 in last year.
Some sort of natural selection happened, the retards drop out and the others went elsewhere.

>you are basically a math major if you do cs
my college fucking sucks

Not that faggot. The answer is "yes", from experience of dealing with these clueless faggots.

If you've never demonstrated your program with formal proof, you're not programming. Just coding.
>t. E. Dykstra

top quack

How can I tell if my universities data structures course is good enough? This is the book we're using and I'm having no trouble with the assignment which is worrying.

amazon.ca/Data-Structures-Algorithms-Java-6th-ebook/dp/B00JDRQF8C

>Java

It's shit.

it's definitely shit. Pick up the cormen's book:
mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms
And, if your university doesn't like it, - complain to the rector or go to another university. The entire point of computer science is to teach a method, not a language. It should absolutely be language agnostic.

>U.C Berkeley is a shit university.

Depends on what areas of cs you study. It's possible to get a reasonable cs degree without ever touching anything more than linear algebra and basic calculus. If you pick the right electives though, you may need abstract algebra, topology, diff eq, or even real analysis. It's up to you the student. Are you going to do the bare minimum, study the boring basics, and be eminently replaceable? Or, are you going to study interesting things that make you valuable to companies?

Um. Yeah. Discrete is a cake walk. You just need to be able to do some basic logical proofs.

After all that, you should take linear programming. It will be easy after those, and it's actually useful.

Don't worry. It will catch up with you, and you'll be out on your ass in no time v

Where in software development would you ever need differential equations? Aren't they usually used to solve domain specific problems, which in general, have nothing to do with software?
I get the feeling that by 'doing computer science' you mean being an underpaid slave postdoc, and by 'code monkey' you mean someone who's making bank making useful things.

I have a SA certificaton.
Im itching to go back and get a programming certification because i want skills. the choices are C#.net and applications programming.

I will be retaking some classes but also taking some new ones.

what do i do?

is there any new programming languages that will benefit in the future?

>useful things

If you mean riddled with bugs and unintended side-effects, well
>yes

> University of Cucks Berkeley

economists have to take calc 3 and diff EQ you dumb lazy nigger, you'd even fail at accounting and finance

Certifications are honestly meaningless if you're trying to find an engineer/developer position. you can take the classes but i wouldn't list the certs on your resume. it's the same kind of thing with bootcamps, they're like a meme to employers. just learn the languages and build some personal projects

Lol maybe at the Master's level they do

>Normies think computer science means helpdesk expert

Why would you bother when you could have studied actual engineering?

if you suck at math you shouldn't be in cs

I have 9 credits left for a 2 year IT degree, no point in not getting it since im paying for it. Am I fucked or can I expect to get my foot in the door for at least fixing printers or some shit? Don't have any passion at all but this is what I already started and have money sunk into

Because it's something you should learn on your own.

Confirmed. Am Berkeley student and cuck.

Berkeley High School or Berkeley City College?

University of Cuckifornia

Expect shit positions, but a job at least. Night school towards a real degree after you're done, or do a LOT of real code contributing to an open source protect to build your resume. Either way will take you 3 to 5 more years to be employable at a CS level.

What's your major? Sociology or GWS?

CoE Undeclared

The fuck's GWS? and why would a Cred Forumsentooman be interested in Soc.? I thought we were all just as much autistic neckbeards as I am...

>undeclared
Yup, huge cuck.

t. IT/CE major

"engineering" is like saying "computers"
>hey user what do you do?
>computers

>calc 2
>20
Ouch

I'm terrible at math and I find discrete easy. Please stop with this stupid meme.

Discrete was super easy after I struggled through calculus. Heck, I barely even used anything from the Calc courses.

you're evaluating a field based on amazon book reviews?

do you keep your finger on the pulse of things by reading youtube comments?

>be me
>need science elective
>decide to take physics
>suck at math but take it anyways because it'll make me better
>prof uses Pearson webshit
>Pearson webshit needed for homework
>literally rejects answers that aren't the exact figure (down to the decimal points)
>offers no help besides cutting my grade in half every time I fuck up
>fail literally every homework assignment because of this
>call out the prof in office hours
>"well you're just not trying hard enough :^)"
>withdraw after the first month
>mfw fell behind a year because of Pearson webshit that was forced on me because the prof was too lazy to grade homework
>mfw i have no face for this emotion

At my school you were basically a math minor. The only reason you weren't is that the CS department did not require linear algebra to graduate.

>do you keep your finger on the pulse of things by reading youtube comments?
He probably does that with facebook comments.

Pearson isn't good, but it's in no way shit. Just make sure you use the tables in the textbook for values like specific heats and such instead to finding shit online. That + using a few more sigfigs in constants than the problem asks for has always gotten me close enough for the thing to accept it (like 3% error either way seems to be the limit).

>Just make sure you use the tables in the textbook for values like specific heats and such instead to finding shit online.
Tried that. And the sigfigs thing. Still killed my grade. (eg the question would expect two sigfigs but that fact would be conveniently omitted from the problem until I found out the hard way)

You're fucking retarded if you cannot tell how many significant figures a problem is asking for.

after it I don't plan on doing a 4 year degree, maybe get other associates that only need a couple credits but that is it. Unless I can get a bachelors somewhere that is next to free or somehow only takes a year. I like computers to an extent but unless I force myself to like it enough for some IT job somewhere it's just gonna be a piece of paper, let alone 2 more fucking years, 20-40 grand and actual coding.

>"basically a math minor"
>without taking Linear Algebra

You're nowhere near a math major. A math major looks like this.

Reminds me of this

The interviewer didn't specify the language he should write the program with :^)
Just write FizzBuzz with C++ bro.

>claims technical skills are sharp
>can't do fizzbuzz
even if you're just a designer you should be able to do fucking fizzbuzz if you're supposed to be working with code at all

>too retarded to do grade school level math
>blames everyone but herself for it

triggers me every time

holy shit, I only have 4+4 subjects a year

Are you serious? Even calc I is more difficult than discrete lmao

>He ran some linux distro on his netbook and wrote all of his assignments in latex
this is literally every mathematician

>doing the bare minimum course load

>the comments section

css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/

>mfw math classes were the best thing and now I have to study cancerous "economy" courses for startup wannabes

you do not really need to know modulus either desu

you just need to do the division and check whether the result is a float or an integer (or whether rounding the result leads to a different value)

the more I think about it the more and more it seems like a great way to weed out people who have never programmed anything

this attitude is precisely why I got out of the field after 17 years and have devoted all my spare time to building bombs.
>t.Ted Kaczynski

Send everyone Steve Keen lectures and blow their minds, econ-user

What year are you in? I don't know why someone who didn't even take calc 2 before leaving high school would go down this rabbit hole.

nigga i sucked at math when I left school and limped my way through a finance/management double major part-time while working in insurance. I'm now good at math cause I put in the hours and have a job I don't hate. Just because you haven't tried doesn't mean you don't have the ability to learn a skill.

Having finished and now considering a CS PH.D., I think there's some merit to the idea that CS, while "hard," is actually easy for its smartest people, most people being absolutely too retarded to do well in it, and those smartest people have a huge case of imposter's syndrome.

The vast majority of people leaving higher education are leaving with joke degrees, liberal arts and business and social "sciences" degrees that would drop the jaw of the smartest CS students in their stupidity.

Also, programs overseas have even lower standards.

Basically, CS bachelor's programs haven't kept up with the capabilities of the best CS students and programmers.

Are you trying to kill myself? Discrete is impossible, I've failed that class 2 years in a row and I have no idea what to do now. Calc is fucking easy, how is something that a calculator can do hard? it's literally just methods to obtain something, a method can be repeated and will still be the same method. In discrete you have to demonstrate theorems that can be done in a million different ways and single coma in the wrong place can render everything wrong, it's the fucking worst.

I have the feeling I'm talking with autists here...

kys

Buy self help books that give you detailed notes for retards. I'm dead serious.

The proofs in discrete are all unpack the definition and follow your nose.

is fizzbuzz that fucking hard? im in my first semester of CS and it took me 5 minutes to do this, most of that time was spent writing the code instead of solving the problem
and im sure theres better ways to solve this

how did they get that so clean

Not all schools has AP calculus, and not all schools that do have BC...

if serves to separate those with any knowledge of programming from those with no knowledge of programming

the blog writer and 90% of the people in the comments are in the second category

>using a global variable when it could be local
>using 3 if statements

int main(){
for(int i=1; i

like i said, im very new in this, care to explain short cond = (i%3 == 0) + 2*(i%5 == 0);

>Basically, CS bachelor's programs haven't kept up with the capabilities of the best CS students and programmers.
I think most of the problems are caused by the subject being relatively young and still rapidly changing. Also you have this conflict of interest where the university wants to brag about high placement numbers and high starting salaries for their graduates, but what will get you a job in industry quickly and safely is often only tangentially related to academic CS.

I got a math minor in uni with only a few extra classes. I actually did it on accident, I didn't know I had one until an advisor pointed it out to me.

How the hell are you supposed to get work done on any other operating system, and how are you supposed to write out math stuff without latex

Look into /sci/ Wiki

>not being object oriented
JavaScript,
class FizzBuzz{
constructor(length, bool, map){
this.length = ++length;
this.bool = + bool;
this.map = map;
}
};
FizzBuzz.prototype.fizzbuzz = function(){
console.log(Array.apply(null, new Array(this.length)).map((i,n) => {
let c = ''
this.map.forEach((a,b) => {
switch(this.bool){
case 1:
Cred Forums.test(n)
&&(c += a)
default:
(n%b)?c:c += a
break
}
})
return (c)?c:n
}).slice(1).join('\n'))
}
var FizzBuzzer = new FizzBuzz(100, false, new Map([[3, 'Fizz'], [5, 'Buzz'], [7, 'Woof']]));
FizzBuzzer.fizzbuzz();

for(i in range(1,101)): print "FizzBuzz"[i*i%3

Not sure which school that's for, but I like it.

I wish we had a whole class on proofs. Would have made things easier.

Stop shitposting, /sci/. Just because your board is slow doesn't mean you have to spread your cancer over here too.

He used C, where a boolean expression resolving into "true" equals a value of 1 and one resolving into "false" equals a value of 0.
This is the same case distinction as yours, just combined in one expression.

Because they're too stupid to understand engineering. There is no difference between a liberal arts degree and computer science, both are completely worthless. Engineering has contributed to humanity greater than CS ever has.

cs is for people that can't do engineering.

Agreed, STEM brother.

>he still thinks his CS is worth anything
That's cute. I bet you still think computer scientists advanced technology rather than engineers. Now hush, engineers are busy taking.

and autists like you remained

Not lazy, most profs hire students to grade homework assignments. When funding is cut, you see them either reduce homework frequency, or turn to electronic resources.

ITT: Mechanical/Electronic Engineers buttmad that CS grads have better job prospects.

Between 2014 and 2024 expected employment change
> -100 electrical engineers
> -700 nuclear engineers
> -1600 aerospace engineers
>+600 chemical engineers
>+2400 computer engineers
>+300 material engineers

meanwhile

> + 186,000 software developers

Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook Dec. 2015
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm

>please let me work on your development team
>b-buh I can do programming
>I did something with matlab my freshman year
>I promise I can learn git
>what is a branch

sucks not to have a place in the capitalist meritocracy

now hush, "engineers" are applying for unemployments benefits paid for by computer scientists

Bump

in order to transfer to my local uni for CS, I need calc 2. I'm 19 and 1st semester freshman at cc right now, and they're forcing me to take college algebra even though I took precalc in hs

>tfw it will take you 5 years to graduate

>capitalist
>meritocracy
now this is the real joke

condition is equal to: trutheval1 + 2*trutheval2

where truthevalX = 0 or 1

its 3 if statements built into a single equation.

if its divisible by three, but not five, then you get 1.

if its divisible by 5 but not three, you get 2.

if its divisible by 3 and 5, you get 3.

the result is assigned to condition

>3 years in uni
>still stuck in calc 1

neither calc 3 nor diff eq is difficult, you daft faggot.

>+ 186,000 software developers
are you seriously bragging about a bubble?

I used 5 if's

for number in range(101):
if number == 0:
print (number)
elif not number % 3 and not number % 5:
print ('fizzbuzz')
elif not number % 3:
print ('fizz')
elif not number % 5:
print ('buzz')
else:
print (number)

are you fucking retarded? do you know what STEM stands for? the fucking S is in CS you stupid fuck

>actual engineering
I'm in CE right now... I can't imagine how you could make a program with less substance.

That image doesn't have enough jpeg artifacts

>Teachers asking for homework turn ins at all
In my college they didn't give a shit, you're only evaluated at exams, or on projects.
If you didn't do the homework that's your problem, since the whole point of it is preparing you for tests, as a test usually encompasses some bizarre complex amalgamation of exercises.
It sounds like US college is sort of like school instead of academia.

The fuck are you talking about. Software engineers are software developers. CS grads are generally theoretical and fail at fizzbuzz.

>If you didn't do the homework that's your problem
That's how it should be. Grading homework is just a waste of time for everyone. The TAs will do a shit job, so your assignment is either largely random or you waste hours a week tracking down and arguing with the TA about how they marked your questions incorrectly.

>227KB

I only asked for your 2KB

I encoded it as lossless and I accidentally set it to 100 frames per second

if it hadn't those courses it would be a meme degree. Keep in mind that discrete math is more difficult (if done properly).

We had one math prof who was young (30-40) but only wrote on paper. Even the tests were handwritten. (And he had both a mathematics degree and an ee degree)

>I have the feeling I'm talking with autists here...
No shit. Cred Forums is basically a containment board walled up the middle to house the mindless consumer whores on one side of the wall and pathetic manchildren spergs on the other.

It was literally easier than the gen-ed courses. Maybe it was because I was half way through a maths degree when I took it, but it really was easy.

damn right. University isn't day care. You don't deserve a goddamn thing. Winners cut through adversity and they don't complain when doing it.

"homework". Jesus Christ. Take responsibility for your future and teach yourself.

>5 minutes to do this
it took me 15 seconds to write it out in pyth. Jesus man.
VS100|+*!%N3"fizz"*!%N5"buzz"N

Don't confuse the ability to process numbers with intelligence. There is a reason why CS degrees are mainly factory farms for "smart" code monkeys who are capable of programming but are too fucking stupid to be able to tie their own shoes unless someone told them to.

The smartest people come out of practical degrees, such as medicine, biology, physics, BAs, etc. These are the people who end up being in charge of innovation while the "smarter" yet socially retarded, highly inflexible thinking spergs end up being useful number crunching robots with next to no ability to stand on their own feet, intellectually.

Presumably as someone from a scientific background, don't you realize what you just said is a massive fucking generalization with no empirical support? You wouldn't prefer to judge a person's ability to meaningfully impact society based on their individual merit, rather than the degree they chose? Get the fuck outta here man you'll never amount to anything

>physics
>BAs
>practical degrees

"the number is even" vs "the number is false"

the number is false

fucking killed me

If you are seriously stressing over the efficiency of a for loop with a switch over a bunch of if-elses to solve a trivial problem, you really are petty. The if-else structure is usually easier to understand when you have to work with other dumbasses that cannot code for shit.

>Also, did you seriously just use a fucking short?

lol it's people like him that won't ever get an actual job cuz their autism is just too damn high

His logic is fine, but if you sacrifice readability and simplicity for a savings of a few processor cycles, you are shitting on everyone else that has to come and read your garbage code.

>And, again, he used a fucking short.

DELET THIS

void meme::stale_meme()
{
delete this;
}

>And, again, he used a fucking short
I don't see what's wrong with this. As long as it's not an unsigned short, it doesn't make any difference.

boolean stale = true;
boolean faggot = false;
if( counterMeme == stale)
faggot = true;
}

>Take Linux class, and business classes at Community College.
>CS department is full of turbo autists, literally wearing trench coats, white sneakers, and poorly fitting clothes.

memes are real

>writing in java

same

some of them would unironically fit here too, they always have moe anime as backgrounds on their obscure laptops and they're completely shameless about it

At a Community College? You really got the short end of the stick there then, friend. I took CS at my Community College to get my Associate's and I had fuckers wearing dirty cowboy boots and asshats with fohawks that just got out of jail in that shithole. Now that I am in my last year of my Bachelor's, the memes are proving true though. All the pricks have turned into fat neckbeards and general cringelords.

>Keeping the meme train going

>want to make games
>fell for the cs meme
>failed calc and physics
>switch to cis
>now make $16/hr doing spreadsheets with an $8 increase when I graduate
get fucked code monkey losers

>want to make games
I don't get why people fantasize about this.

I work as an intern a game development studio right now; an individual developer does very little actual 'game' development. Most individual developers just work on random shit that's very far down from the actual game.

As for games I've built in C with OpenGL and GLFW, most of the effort actually goes into making sure all of the subsystems work together properly, dealing with racing issues, etc. Very little effort went into the actual gameplay.

If you want to work on things like gameplay, map design, etc. CS is not the right degree.

>Thinking that's good

>Failure and proud

> $24/hr part time

Sounds like some good job prospects user.

Which side are you on?

I did maths up to first year university level, and now been a software engineer for just under 5 years working on finance software

maths skills needed:
arithmetic
arithmetic
arithmetic
multiplication
addition
subtraction
arithmetic
re-arranging an alegbraic equation every so often.

desu you shouldn't be making software if you can't re-arrange an equation but I can definitely see how people get away with being shit at maths their entire software dev careers.

You mean like basic algebra? The kind you learn in like 5-6 grade? Yeah, if you are that inept, you should be euthanized.

Can ya do my CS61A project for me, fellow Bear cuck? :^)

How are differential equations used in computer science? It seems like it would be based completely on discrete math.

lolno

Consider killing yourself. You do not know what you are talking about nor have demonstrated any example at all.

>Humanity or Social Science Elective
lolno, this is not a maths major

Bahahaha the number is false

>not being well rounded

Sorry, next time I'll use a std::bitset of size 2.