Distro for me?

1. i like free stuff, as in beer and as in freedom
2. i am too illiterate for gentoo
3. i want a distro with good amount of resources (manpower working on the software)
4. i want the company to be trustworthy i.e. no ubuntu

thats my criterian. what can you homies recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/extension/885/dynamic-top-bar/
i.imgur.com/bbSwl7R.png
i.imgur.com/jJ5Bzak.jpg
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Debian_GNU.2FLinux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just install Fedora

El Capitan

Arch senpai

Got the sofrware support of gentoo with only half the autisim

>1. i like free stuff, as in beer and as in freedom
>2. i am too illiterate for gentoo
what difference does it make to you whether software is free or not if you can't install gentoo?

install gentoo

This. Although if your not used to installing distros without an installer you might want to use arch boot.

arch, it's not that hard to install, but you can always use installers like architect or distros derived from arch (manjaro)

Debian, Fedora (although Red Hat can be considerated "shady", depending of how you look at it).

Trisquel, the chosen distro of RMS himself. FSF approved, deblobbed Linux-Libre Kernel, and the default distro on the Libreboot X200 (the laptop that respects your freedoms). There's really no other choice for me atm.

Fedora

New packages, easy to use.

Sabayon?

Is fedora noob-friendly ?

wow GNOME 3 can look pretty good. I wonder what themes & icons are in use there.

I think it is.

Antergos

How did you get the top bar to be transparent?

arc theme and paper icons like alot of people use

gnome 3 has extensions to do anything. This one is activities configurator.

Tip your Fedora

>Debian
He said no Ubuntu.

>too illiterate for Gentoo
Maybe you shouldn't use Linux then. Reading documentation is absolutely necessary.

gnome-tweak-tool and activities configurator from gnome extensions

Thank you!

oh-h g-gosh, you too

Anything but Arch or Mint.

yeah, you need gnome-tweak tool too

>I use Debian/Ubuntu :^)

I agree that these are the worst/\.

Linux Mint with Cinnamon desu senpai

shit security m8

extensions.gnome.org/extension/885/dynamic-top-bar/

Took me 30 seconds to google and install

why are arch screenfetchs on Cred Forums alwys 2 minutes old?

?

I use Gentoo and Arch has no redeemable features. I prefer Debian and Ubuntu over Arch.

>I prefer Debian and Ubuntu over Arch
>I use Gentoo
This is a pretty bizarre statement.

Arch is nothing like Gentoo. It's more like Debian with all the good parts stripped from it.

>It's more like Debian with all the good parts stripped
How so?

Debian has three branches for different purposes
More architectures
Licensing information
Easier to retrieve source of packages
apt-listbugs or whatever it's called

op, this.

Can I get that wallpaper from you user?

hey daniel, post you wallpaper pls

i.imgur.com/bbSwl7R.png

>Posting imgur links on an image board
i.imgur.com/jJ5Bzak.jpg

Wallpaper please

it just werks

Read the thread cocksucker

>1. i like free stuff, as in beer and as in freedom
Debian

>2. i am too illiterate for gentoo
Debian minimal

>3. i want a distro with good amount of resources (manpower working on the software)
Debian

4. i want the company to be trustworthy i.e. no ubuntu
Debian

Seriously, Debian fits your criteria. All these archfags don't understand what "free as in freedom" means, because Arch doesn't have any standards or policies regarding FOSS.

Arch

Debian testing. Very stable and has loads of support without having scheming jews behind it, and the packages aren't old enough to be moldy and not new enough to fuck your shit up.

>Low quality sales pitch
Debian shills do it for free

>debian
>is ubuntu

i just intsall manjaro and its based on arch. super easy to install. comes with a bunch of stuff. seems pretty snappy on my t420

fedora

Fedora is pretty much the only good distro anyhow.

Once they killed yum in favor of dnf it got much better.
It also helps that it has a package for pretty much any god damn thing and copr exists for those that don't.

Also all the arch babby maintainers just take from fedora anyhow.

In terms of Debian like, because Red Hat is 2 corporate for you, Ubuntu. Debian is outdated and it's lack of mechanisms like ppa's make it hard to justify especially since it's package list leaves much to be desired in some cases.

I have a feeling you're Russian.

no, he's not.russian

What if you're lying? In fact you probably are m8.

I don't like your accusations user

Listen user you need to stop being a lying, sassy cunt.

at least I'm not being a sasssy cunt, user

I'll give you that user. I feel like we both know a cunt that is not only sassy but is also much more of a liar than you and me combined.

note the three s's, very important

The fuck you mean? That was obviously a typo. Why would someone deliberately add an extra "s" to that word?

not only is she a liar, she's an incompetent slut whose social status is based only on the fact that her legs open so easily
see above

Listen you're crazy and obviously can't spell.

But yeah you took the words right out of my head. The only time she doesn't like being fucked like the drama-loving, manipulative cock-washer she is is when someone actually takes her seriously. I mean if anyone ever did that it was a blameworthy mistake, and should have followed the example of someone who may have dumped her on Christmas eve.

half of 2^20 autism is still 2^19 autism.

virtual machines

#!++

Mine is because i booted up my X220 to participate in the memes, since my T520 only has Windows 10 atm. No one is autistic enough to set up a VM just to pretend to use linux, not even Cred Forums.

Fedora, Mageia, Sabayon.

why is your terminal window so ugly?
the icon is way too small compared to all the other icons and the icons are too big compared to the title.
Is this default on gnome?

Not default, and great your opinion is very valuable.

Qubes OS

If you aren't already running Qubes OS, you're a fucking idiot.

that's just a wallpaper

Oh damn I couldn't tell

Citation required

How do you get the terminal to do that countdown before the screenshot?

openSUSE (as in SUSE) is the right thing for you. If you want stability go for Leap , if you want a rolling release go for Tumbleweed. Either way you will love it

Everybody says it's great but it was slow as fuck for me. It booted 1 minute and 20 seconds, RPM was slow as fuck.
But only I had that issue, so yeah.
You can't go wrong with Arch or Debian.

Sounds like you want debian. Use Manjaro if you're going to use pacman, or go ahead and do Arch instead if you want the bleeding edge/can handle the installation.

how do you stand that horrible theme

you can barely read the letters and the dark / white contrast is guranteed to fuck your sight

Try different distros in virtual machines, then choose.

It's stupid to overthink distros when you can spend trivial amounts of time learning about a variety in VMs. Don't wonder, install and use.

There are two distros that matter, Debian and Red Hat. The rest are niche cases or derivatives.

That leaves Debian.

Netinstall or LiveCD for Fedora?

>company
Man, you're looking at this from the wrong side. The whole point of a GNU/linux distro is to be free from *someone* that controls your computer. If you're searching for a company - then you're in a really wrong place. Go for apple.

If you're still in for a linux experience and wanna know how deep the rabbit-hole goes - then you need to read on. Ubuntu is no more than some graphical sugar on top of a really complex machine that you should know if you wanna use your GNU/linux the way YOU want to. I personally would advice gentoo - not because of your e-peen or Cred Forums cred - but because of how much you learn when you install it.

People here mindlessly repeat the 'install gentoo' mantra, but not a lot of them know about the fact that installing gentoo is a learning experience that teaches you (almost) everything you need to know about your GNU/linux OS.

If your laptop is not the only electronic device you got and you wanna fiddle with GNU/linux - install it. It should take you no more than 1-1.5 weeks. Don't let you scare by this though - the management is really no harder than your average distro - just be sure to compile big packets overnight or to install -bin versions.

[contd.]
Also, - how much difference among distros do you think there are? Like, other than package manager?

>It should take you no more than 1-1.5 weeks [to install Gentoo]

HA! It takes 1-1.5 hours to install Debian minimal. I don't give a shit how much you learn from that process if it takes that long to get through it.

>software support of gentoo
>can't switch between versions without changing repos
oh you make me kek user.
Arch is only good for AUR. But even then Gentoo has overlays. Also Arch is unstable af

it takes you 1-1.5 weeks to read all the documentation that will teach you something about your OS inner works. Like, what are you gonna do if your debian has an issue with a newer package? Or, if your eudev starts shitting bricks? Or - the most likely case - systemd starts to fuck you over?

I'm able to install gentoo in 3 hours compiling times included on a computer with a decent processor. The whole point of the installation of gentoo is doing it only once in your life. A good OS should never be reinstalled.

Bitch, Arch doesn't have even half of features of Gentoo. AUR is good, but goodbye security. Portage overlays with layman are what AUR should've been. At least Gentoo cares about the user and doesn't overwrite configurations by default, gently advising him/her to change them every time a portage-related command is used.

Use debian or arch. Either is fine. I prefer arch but I guess I'm too stupid for Debian.

Or Ubuntu MATE is also good and free of Bullshit. No point in sperging over it because of the main branch.

Afterwards you've installed arch MANUALLY) fucking do it it it's important) then I think Manjaro is pretty nice.

I will come back to Fedora if they remove that python-based installer.

ATTENTION EVERYONE
GENTOO IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE SINGLE BEST DISTRO
I DONT CARE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO INSTALL. THE GRAPES ARE SWEET, NOT SOUR.
INSTALL GENTOO AND GET
- free portage overlays, no more apt-get repository or spending an hour getting pacaur working!
- a single repository that lets you switch between package versions. No need to switch repository just to get python 3.5!
- package manager that lets you know what the fuck is going on! just run dispatch-conf to make sure that xorg.conf doesn't get deleted!
- a gui package manager! holy fucking shit, one that is actually supported by the creators? no more third-party bullshit, enjoy all of the features that you'd get just as easily in the terminal!
- an irc that's actually helpful! go on there and expect a response without being shitted on for being a "n00b l0l go RTFM xD" (kudos to iamben for helping me out with everything)

Why haven't you switched to gentoo yet Cred Forums?

Do you REALLY need to compile every package on gentoo? I had to compile a fucking Firefox package and it was like literal death on my ThinkPad. I have to admit that hearing about how great portage works is making me a little curious. Not that I have any problems right now.

Any driver issues with proprietary video cards?

firefox is one large package, on every distro. That's no surprise that it took so long. But you have to bear in mind that for that kind of packages in gentoo you've got the -bin versions, which are already compiled for you with all the sane defaults. You lose some customization power but gain in time.

Usually I advice people to leave all the compilation to be done overnight in order to have to wait less.

Also no proprietary videocard driver issues here, got a GTX730 on my thinkpad T440 and intel 4400 on my latitude e6440, everything jus werks.

No. There are gentoo binhosts. Also firefox-bin should come with the default repository.
I had no issues. The wiki contains a guide for switching between noveau and nvidia drivers.

OK, well maybe when one of my arch or Manjaro installs fail, I'll give it a shot.

The slippery slope towards gentoo isn't just a meme, it's actually real.

if ubuntu is out of the picture then either debian (testing) or fedora.

Manjaro?

>Like, what are you gonna do if your debian has an issue with a newer package?
I'll go back to the older package, or wait until an update fixes the issue.

>Or, if your eudev starts shitting bricks?
I don't know what that is, but a quick search makes it look like a systemd fork of something for Gentoo. So I guess I won't have this issue.

>Or - the most likely case - systemd starts to fuck you over?
That hasn't happened to me, and I guess I would boot into recovery mode or use a liveUSB to sort out the problem. Systemd and Debian are so widely used (and I follow the guidelines on the "Don't Break Debian" wiki page) that any major issues related to them would be resolved pretty quickly.

>I'm able to install gentoo in 3 hours compiling times included on a computer with a decent processor.
That's actually reassuring.

>The whole point of the installation of gentoo is doing it only once in your life. A good OS should never be reinstalled.
I like the mantra: "No problem should ever have to be solved twice." For me, the guided installer solves the problem of installing linux.

Last time I tried to install Gentoo, the wiki page on setting up WPA encrypted wifi wasn't specific enough, so I gave up. A real fun and useful learning experience that taught me to not install Gentoo.

> i am too illiterate for gentoo
then get smarter you faggot. And install gentoo. I am ashamed that people are suggesting any other distro.

Install arch if all you about is seeming edgy on a nipponese 2d girl board.

>what are you gonna do if your debian has an issue with a newer package?
Here's what you sound like:
"Durr, I heard that Debian has old packages!"
Emphasis on the durr.

You ask this as if you're unaware that Debian has a rolling-release branch called Unstable. Debian Unstable is like Arch in that all the packages are very close to upstream. Fucking ignorant cucks who glance at something and use shit arguments made by other instead of forming an informed opinion themselves.

Debian Unstable is like Arch, except it manages to work less. Take it from someone who's tried the Debian Sid meme for years and failed time and time again. It seems to work fine, but there is always that one thing you can just never get working.

Just switch to fedora, it's the same thing as Sid except it actually works.

In all honesty you should install gentoo anyway unless you have a good reason not to.

I like this. Been comfty with it for days now

... Do you not know how to RTFM(Read The Fucking Manual/Man [pages])? Or even use --help ?

Here is a freebie. It's -cd10 where 10 is the number of seconds to countdown.

In the future try using:
command --help
Or
man command
Where command is the command you want help with. Learn to become self reliant because one day you're going to find yourself with a broken system that barely boots, no installation media, and no internet until you fix it. You need to know how to search for answers right on your own machine.

screenfetch -s

This

>It seems to work fine, but there is always that one thing you can just never get working.
I've been running Sid for a few weeks with no unexpected major issues.

Last week, I updated GNOME to 3.22 and I was unable to adjust my brightness/sound with my function keys, as well as some custom keybindings not working. Except the function keys did work fine in GDM, the login menu. I did some searching to try to fix it, but nothing worked, so I simply left it and worked around it via terminal commands. After a few hours, I updated again, and the issue was resolved.

Any rolling-release distro has the potential to have these sorts of issues, because packages are constantly changing, meaning they can potentially cause new bugs for themselves or other packages. However, bugs are constantly being fixed as well.

Anyone using a rolling-release distro should expect things to go wrong, whether that be Arch or Debian Unstable. Everyone has a unique experience because we all have different hardware and different preferences for software, plus the state of stability is constantly in flux. Perhaps on your hardware and with your software, you have more issues with Debian than Arch. Perhaps with different hardware and/or software, Debian would work better for you.

"that hasn't happened to me" doesn't mean it won't. To me it happened a real fucking bunch of times.
I meant udev btw
There are graphical installers for gentoo AFAIK, but I've never used one.
>encrypted wifi instructions were unclear
you mean the instructions to connect to one, orto host one? I probably may be able to help you
nigger I'm currently using debian on my 3rd laptop and its packages are old af. Yes, even in the testing branch. And, what's the fucking point in using the unstable debian branch? Go for arch, at that point...
The point I'm trying to make is that debian is harder to manage if something goes wrong than gentoo. The latter's version conflict resolution is miles ahead than the debian's inbuilt one.

>"that hasn't happened to me" doesn't mean it won't. To me it happened a real fucking bunch of times.
Sounds like a you problem. Maybe you're bad at searching for answers.

>I meant udev
OK, I've still barely heard of it and "that hasn't happened to me" on any distro in my multiple years of using GNU/Linux, regardless of distro. I guess I'm stupid for being unconcerned about something that's never affected me or anyone I know.

>Go for arch, at that point...
Arch and Debian have different features and philosophies. See this Arch wiki page:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Debian_GNU.2FLinux

The primary reasons for me are Debian's respect for free/open source software, and I like their tried&true development cycle. Another is that Debian is among the eldest and most known/used distros, so I know I'll find other users who can provide support if I need it. Not shitting on Arch, just saying why I prefer Debian Unstable over it.

>nigger I'm currently using debian on my 3rd laptop and its packages are old af.
No they aren't. Provide examples of "old af" packages in Debian Unstable. They can be old in Testing because of the requirements that need to be met for a package to go from Unstable -> Testing.

>what's the fucking point in using the unstable debian branch?
To use the latest packages, bug fixes, and features, as well as contributing to the community by identifying and fixing bugs.

>The point I'm trying to make is that debian is harder to manage if something goes wrong than gentoo.
If you say so.

A-actually senpai, I did config a VM just to rice Ubuntu and imagine what it'd be like to use all the time.

Debian