How do we fix sound on GNU/Linux?

How do we fix sound on GNU/Linux?

abandon all hope ye who enter here

Let Poettering handle it. Oh wait...

Thanks to systemd, the sound is fucking perfect.

Also we now have sound servers (pulseaudio server) which is pretty fucking amazing. You can channel/sync your sound to all your Linux/(even windows) installs.

Based Systemd

PulseAudio, today, is fine. Really complex, but fine. Back in the days... Oh, the horror.

I hate systemd but I can give credit where credit's due. PulseAudio isn't half bad if you just want consumer-tier audio.

Scrap all that shit. Actually, this applies to all desktop Linux userland, including GNU software.

Not perfect.
1. Open any application, play vid
2. Unplug HDMI monitor
3. Have to fucking change output device in system config
4. Have to fucking close application and open it again.
5. Go fuck yourself.

Uninstall
Go on windows

As someone who barely knows what any of those are does anyone want to explain this entire image to me including how everything works together what they are how they work how they came to be and all of the whys as well?

pulseaudio is pretty good nowadays but support for 5.1 and especially the lfe channel is still shit

Linux has sound support in the kernel (ALSA) but it's shit for a number of reasons including inflexibility. There were a bunch of attempts to fix the problem but that means that certain programs are only tailored to certain types of sound setup. Enter PulseAudio, which acts as a proxy between the clusterfuck of sound systems on the user side, and the initialization clusterfuck on the kernel side.

Pulse was and is systemd-tier kitchen sink shit, but unlike systemd it's relatively functional and serves a purpose.

pls lennart go away

I really hate to say it but Pulseaudio was the most sane approach. Rather than write new device drivers and a whole new audio pipeline that had to be programmed into every application we went for a more transparent approach. We hook the audio devices exposed by the already exposed by the sound drivers and then provide applications with a fake device to send audio to so they don't even know we changed amything. It's not perfect but fuck if it isn't better than waiting another two decades for someone to finally put their foot down about what to do.

How does systemd affect sound at all?

>How do we fix sound on GNU/Linux?
Install a real operating system that doesn't make you put up with this bullshit.

werks on my machine
maybe you should try a good distro such as Arch

Pulseaudio kinda works, until you care about latency.

As Linux is a lock labyrinth, latency cannot be guaranteed.

There's hope in Minix3 and in seL4 (as used in e.g. Genode)

>What is gstreamer?

systemd-sound

What?

We switch to GNU/Redox

It reduces its quality significantly and increases latency skyhigh.

Typical lennartdrone can't even comprehend 3 words in a row.

what bothers me about pulse is that tasks that should be trivial to do for the end user are simply not possible intuitively. for example routing the output of a single application to the input of another. possible with pulse, but a hassle; trivial with jackaudio. what bothers my even more is global channel balancing, i can correct the channel balance using the device sliders in pavucontrol, but changing application volume can change device volume as well, which fucks everything up

Which words?
I did exactly like said and everything works. I don't need to change config or restart application.

You must be very, very special, timmy.

Sure