Switch to Ubuntu?

Should I go to Ubuntu and install cinnamon instead of using Mint? I switched from Windows to Mint about a month ago and fell in love with it, but now I'm noticing wireless or vpn connectivity issues after the recent kernel update.

And no, I'm not ready for gentoo. I will not install gentoo.

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install Gentoo.

You're better off with anything other than Mint.

I feel like I'm not ready for that yet, trips. I'm still learning the terminal and trying to use that over the built in software manager for starters

I find Ubuntu w/ cinnamon packages kinda suck. However you will have more security updates on Ubuntu vs Mint. Mint is more concerned about not breaking user experience than patching the system. Personally I would suggest ubuntu-mate because it just works, fast, and that software boutique.

I suggest you start with Ubuntu MATE

Is it anything like mate on Mint?

Just grab and use Manjaro. You're better off with a user friendly Arch

Xubuntu best distro.

>user friendly

arch is easy as balls with using the wiki; i switched from arch to gentoo after about 2 weeks, though

Are you trying to imply Manjaro isn't user friendly? It actually is. I'm not even Arch guy and Manjaro is a cakewalk to learn and use.

Is it? Because I had a horrible experience dealing with Arch fags and I've always thought Manjaro is more or less the same

if you're thinking about ubuntu, go with trisquel. it's a botnet-free fork.

The Manjaro forum and Arch and Manjaro wikis are always there to guide you and hold your hand as you get to learn and know Arch/Manjaro and yaourt better. It's not that hard, really. Simple stuff.

I don't know why I'm afraid to building from scratch but I'll look into it

I might try it again since I don't have to install proprietary software on this new laptop

Give antergos a try then

Ubuntu with GNOME 3 works great for me.

>trying to use terminal over built in software manager

It's not bad once you get the hang of it.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install

Those or the only ones you need to know really.

Whichever you settle on, ditch Mint ASAP if you do anything important like online banking, shopping or email. It's risky to do anything like that from a security perspective on Mint.

Meme's aside, Gentoo isn't that bad. Now that everyone has a smartphone you can literally just watch and listen to installation videos while you do the process yourself which removes 90% of the potential hangups.

I'm not suggesting you do it now by any means but don't be put off simply because of perceived difficulty. You only learn when you take the time to try.

Thinking about Xubuntu desu senpai.

Yeah, apt-get is pretty simple but I find myself using the software manager whenever I can't find a package through apt-get nowadays.

Mint is pissing me off. I love cinnamon, but holy fuck the kernel update broke the OS.

Learn how to install your own kernel, its fucking trivial.

You don't need to switch distro or re-install just because a kernel update fucked up your wireless.

eh it's risky because I'm forced to use wifi here at my university without ethernet. I only have one usable flash drive to work with and I can't be stuck without an OS or backup of Mint.

Debian with cinnamon. Shit is the best. Been using it for about a year. You can even grab the most recent cinnamon release from the backports repo if you want that. And Debian respects your freedom.

Don't. Ubuntu is shit.
Install Arch.

Downloading and installing through my wifi connection will be a challenge for me due to limited amount of bandwidth. Can I install Debian without an internet connection? I know I can't for Arch since I have to grab pacman

Yeah I should've known better since I manually installed kernels on Mint 17.

Mint is literally just ubuntu + cinnamon

But says it's not worth it. I dunno, I'm willing to try cinnamon on a true Ubuntu release

No, it's not. There's more to it than that. Link related

>lwn.net/Articles/676664/

xfce

Why pick Xubuntu over MATE?

Yes, you can. Whatever you do, don't listen to the memefags. Ubuntu is botnet.

How? It's sound better to use father Debian.

Xubuntu.

Fedora + Cinnamon

Debian with KDE. You'll thank me later.

yup installing that right now on a vm to try it out

>Adds nothing to Debian
>Tracks you
>Anything you type on the search bar is send to Amazon
>Integrated ads
>Run by a company
>Slowest and heaviest distro
>Looks terrible out of the box

If you are having issues with the new kernel just switch to the one that was working for you before.

>Mint is more concerned about not breaking user experience than patching the system.
I actually prefer than. Especially if you are putting it on your parents labtop or some such.

No, I mean. How can I install debian without an Internet connection and CD? I'm interested in trying both cinnamon and and thanking both of you later if it works

>Can I install Debian without an internet connection?
Yes. Download the ISO and any additional firmware you need and make a live USB. You will be asked to configure networking on install but you can opt out of using it to install anything else. Or just configure network after install.

KDE fukken wrecks (but I prefer ARCH LINUX)

>If you are having issues with the new kernel just switch to the one that was working for you before.
I use to rollback after I downloaded the kernel updates. Now I just use Mint 18's update manger. Can I still rollback to an earlier 4.4 kernel?

Looks good. Arch isn't too bad except for the retarded package manager, though the distro is much more flexible in the hands of an experienced user. I use Debian because stability is more important than anything to me.

Stability is not important for me, up to a point of course. I think Arch is a perfect amount of WERKS and NEW for me.

KDE is the best DE though, all distro-users can agree.

I think 18 lets you go back as far as 4.4.0-21.

Got it. Thanks I'll give it a try, user.

How on Earth is it risky? Mint is almost as secure as ubuntu

I think people confuse the insecure website with Mint being insecure. Mint's web server =/= Mint OS

Running Centos 7 here, I feel like switching to debian myself. Network manager has a tendency to sometimes mess up.
IDK, ubuntu seems like it'd be better to develop on, and I can run steam and play around with unity.

I'm really just studying sysadmin stuff, but I feel like updating my OS will break it, it's happened to me before centos fucked
me in the ass and had a kernel panic I couldn't recover any data from my harddrive.

I've backed up this installation but I'd like to have a more stable desktop distro to work on, could probably run centos in a vm
and use that to follow along with the linux bible. What do you guys think? /blogpost

Backdated. They dealt with it in a decent way

>KDE is the best DE though, all distro-users can agree.
It really is. Nothing beats those lazy nights when you hook up your laptop to your tv and use KDE connect to shitpost from the couch.

Do a little research about driver compatibility. Debian is a bitch to get working on most machines without non-free ones. An example is my wireless card won't work without non-free firmware. So just make a folder called "firmware" in the root of your bootable device (flash drive in my case) and then extract the zip into that after downloading it. Those files will be detected automatically.

*Ubuntu

Are you retarded? Why dont you boot with a previous kernel?

>this is what retards actually believe

>Do a little research about driver compatibility. Debian is a bitch to get working on most machines without non-free ones. An example is my wireless card won't work without non-free firmware. So just make a folder called "firmware" in the root of your bootable device (flash drive in my case) and then extract the zip into that after downloading it. Those files will be detected automatically.
Thanks for the heads up. I use a Thinkpad T430s

I use Mint 18's original kernel at first run but then I update it via its update manager after the installation.

What makes you think its not secure? They made double sure nothing like that happens again. Now installations instructions literally start with verifying gpg and so on

>Mint is almost as secure as ubuntu
>almost

See And that's just some of the issues, not all. Mint is objectively one of the worst distros I've come across.

No idea why Cred Forums meme'd it up last year but as usual, don't be meme'd.

The update manager doesnt delete previous kernels. Just look it up in yoir bios

They still don't rebuild the binaries to my knowledge, which is why updates broke installs to begin with.

It still does tbqh. What makes it insecure in your opinion? I recently found a security flaw in mint but it (most likely) came from ubuntu

Oh, their web server is secure now but the fallout of the hacking is making people think that the actual Mint OS is vulnerable too

Lm 18 isnt safe to upgrade to yet. Thats it.
I meant that the site should be ok now, too.

>I meant that the site should be ok now, too.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't read your post good. See

Exactly. Funny how they claim"theres more vulnerabilities" and cant name any.

Not checking the box that enables something isn't the same as not available.
The update ui literally lists details on any kernel security patches.

When I tested it out (Jan of this year) I felt a color coded system of patches/updates scares new users from patching their OS. Especially with the "Warning: This update can potentially breaking your OS" included in there.

Also a large number of patches for potentially vulnerable software were blacklisted/disabled by default. That's not my opinion it's a fact. They may have changed their approach to that now but either way, you've really got to question a dev making those kinds of decisions.

The whole distro was like trying to dance in a body cast from top to bottom for even a semi-experienced user. I just don't like it and wouldn't recommend it, even to users new to Linux.

What the fuck are you on about?

kek apt-get triggers you?

Try Debian with Cinnamon. Ubuntu is based on it.

Yeah, currently installing Debian with cinnamon right now on a vm...