So

When will Cred Forums admit it finally that Linux isn't ready for Desktop use?

That's not to imply windows is perfect (very far from it), but come on. Linux Desktop so far is a trainwreck.

Epic thread

saged

Quality arguments.

It will never be for normie mass consumption.
But linux desktop has been nothing but excellent this millennia

Mint is the only one ready for daily use, but the problem is too few game makers support it to make the change viable. Steam fucked up Steam OS so gaming on Linux is never going to happen, meaning most tech savvy people won't switch, and the idiots that just check email and facebook will just use whatever comes preinstalled on their PC.

What the fuck

Quality thread.

Mint lmao go to bed kid.

>"X is shit"
>no X is good
>"not an argument"

I hate everyone in this site but people like you are the worst.

How do yoy expect valid arguments when you start a conversation with "X is bad" nt explaining why at all.

Disregarding gaming, Linux is perfectly fine for daily use, I have no idea what you are talking about (unless its gaming)

>rarely works out of the box
>have to google and dig through forums just to solve basic issues
Year of the Linux desktop, amirite

Works on my machine. To be honest, I have had more problems with Windows 10 than with GNU Mint.

>admitting to being mentally retarded

You keep saying Linux, it varies greatly by distro you fucking moron.

>implying gaming isn't the reason why we're building better and better computers

If people used PC's for word editing, web browsing and emails, we'd still be using pentium 4's.

It's absolutely fine dude. Pic related. Perfection.

>not cinnamon
It is shit.

You don't think they would've built computers to accommodate programs like CAD/Solidworks?
Or for solving equations that require numerical analysis?

He is exaggerating a bit, but he has a point.

How so?

Good. We don't need anymore dumbing down of GNU/Linux for the normie crowd. Stick with FagOS and Wankblows.

I was being ironic a bit, but yeah.

I know we needed better PC's for scientific purposes, like sequencing DNA, calculating, and modelling weather, buildings, architecture in 3D etc, but gaming had been part of PC culture since Commodore 64 whether Linux-lords like it or not.

>But this is the year of Linux.
Cred Forums in 2009 and on.

why do you even use a trip bro. you literally don't know what the fuck you're talking about

GNU/Linux is more than ready. It's a few years behind as far as software compatibility, but only with things that aren't essential such as shitty pajeet programs, Photoshop, and gaymens. I do most of my spreadsheets and documents through Google Drive anyways so all I need for work is the web browser. I could very well use a tablet if I wanted to. Debian is stable and just werks.

Mint is pure shit. Literally install anything else, including MacOS or Windows 10.

My problem is that I'm so use to Windows. With the exception of cinnamon, nothing, not even MATE, XFCE, or whatever, satisfies me. It's a constant stuggle to find an environment that functions like Windows and not look bad.

Everyone saying Linux is not ready or doesn't work out of the box is literally just reposting what they have seen posted on the past.

Linux is by far the most solid OS all around and any problem is exclusively user error.

Singles of truth correct again.

/thread

Should these threads be autopruned by now?

Or are we that dedicated to letting Pajeet make some extra cash on the side?

>I tailored my hardware choices to those which have working drivers for Linux
>Anyone who didn't is lying

My question is why don't those people who team up to make yet another useless fork of Linux spend that time and energy on writing and maintaining usable office suite for Linux?
Either that or make it less ugly.

There exists a very pretty and very compatible office suite for Linux, don't be fooled by its silly name, it's a great software albeit proprietary.

Have a look at Kingsoft Office (aka WPS Office), it should be on the AUR if you use Arch

>Mint is pure shit.
Ah, you're trying so hard . . .

you might as well kys if you think linux is EVER going to be popular as Windows

What's wrong with libreoffice?

Nobody said that.

I would say something more like: Windows will eventually bite the dust and by then Linux will reach the skies so that comparing one another will be considered foolish.

Definetly not something like "Linux is going to be as popular as Windows", that's just dumb.

>Windows will eventually bite the dust and by then Linux will reach the skies so that comparing one another will be considered foolish.
that would never happen though

How's the weather next year, Marty McFly?

Not with that attitude

It's great for laptops tho

As someone who's using it as maindriver - hey, it's fairly nice.

Look at elementaryOS. At first sight it's macOS knockoff - but it's fast and easy to use. Some decisions behind distro are shit (not supporting PPAs which effectively killed those few third party app producers) but hey. It's nice.

Fuhhh my games don't work - grow up and/or buy a console. I have xbox in living room for 4k netflix and games. Pc is for work and study. Phone is for shitposting!

Hey I agree with you but I would like it if you didn't give people the idea that you can't have fun on Linux...

Sure, I have 50 games on Linux. Mostly Indie stuff which isn't released on consoles.
AAA on consoles, Indie on Linux.

This approach is good as long as you don't need online games such as Lol or recent Battletide.

If you don't know, you are the reason why people hate arch users.
Wow, gratz, you followed instructions like a monkey.
Elite shit mate.

>not just dual-booting

> you are the reason why people hate arch users
Not him but neo-arch hater are actually more cancerous these days in Cred Forums. All he said is it works on laptops, installation process was not in the table of topics at all.

Retard

For whom?, it's more than ready for normal users who browse the internet, make simple documents and edit pictures every now and then

that fool has been postin his desktop in every thread. prolly installed it last night so he could show everyone on Cred Forums how cool he is. straight up loser lmao

>>If people used PC's for word editing, web browsing and emails, we'd still be using pentium 4's.

This. All the Iphone 7 users bought that phone to unfold proteins and other /sci/ shit. Stuff that is not possible in the last generation

I see him posting his screenfetch for any occasion. This builds up my autistic anger.
Using Arch is okay. Pacman reminds me one good, long-forgotten package manager.
But this guy is just annoying. So fuck off mate, will ya?

Fuck OFF Daniel for fucksake

I don't like it. It's silly but hey, that's just me.

What do you think is missing from Linux?

Marketing

It's ready for desktop computers, but Linux Desktop Environments were a mistake.

Linux without terminal will never happen. As long as you'll need root privileges to do anything fucking useful and GUI programs don't just prompt for elevated credentials requiring you to launch them with sudo from the terminal Linux Desktops will always be a travesty.

Tiling WMs is the only way to Linux. Hiding the terminal will never work. You must embrace the terminal as a way of life.

>not an argument

Jesus christ do none of you do 3D work at all? Video editing and rendering?
Why do you think Quadro cards are so fucking expensive? Not gaming.