Does anyone develop on linux?

If so, why? Why not OSX?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RRn9aGRHmXo
support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236
jblevins.org/log/kbd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Does anyone develop on linux?
They do but it's usually niche proprietary software or open sores software that barely functions.

>If so, why? Why not OSX?
homOS X is aimed at homosexuals so not many people have the stomach to develop for them.

>still using OS X
>not using macOS
faggot

But user, it's 2016, homosexuality is in vogue

There's a limit. Unless you're trying to gay the pray away, you should be mindful of the amount of faggotry you commit; regrettably, Applefags exceed this 20x more than simple homosexuality. An Apple store is a permanent Pride parade for the functionally illiterate but terminally hip. I'm thinking they need leashes and handlers, and should be in a home somewhere, with their own kind, so they don't hurt themselves. IDayCare

What do you mean why? Almost everything that runs on Linux also runs on OS X

Who the fuck wants a toddler OS when all my development tools are native to Linux already and my target is Linux servers?

youtube.com/watch?v=RRn9aGRHmXo

I can't afford it, dude.

Yeah pretty much that. I've got everything I need on Linux. No idea how many half-assed brews it would take to replicate on macOS and I wouldn't spend that kind of money to find out either.

>2016
>getting butthurt at an operating system

Who hurt you

i compile stuff and make small programs to do one off things. i wouldn't call it development.

MacOS' approach to window management is totally broken, unusable, unacceptable. It's tied to Mac hardware, which I don't like. HFS+ is shitty. Case insensitivity in the filesystem is shitty. No package management out of the box.

Can you even get full root privilege on a mac?

I think you can, actually.

I develop on macOS for Linux production boxes.

fuckin this tbqh

hackintosh my dude.

you absolutely can.

HFS+ is dogshit. I agree, but hopefully APFS will fix this shit. Cant wait for next year to come.

Did you even hear yourself retard...

Can't be a 1337 hacker on osx

Linux is the best place to develop with C/C++. Compilers and libraries are built into the system instead of screwing with library paths and shit

OS X is shit for development.

It doesn't even have a built in package manager and all the programming tools are provided through third party package managers and they're packaged by third parties.

It's retarded to use OS X for anything.

>Why not OSX?

I sometimes do scripting on OS X at work and I have yet to figure out how people who develop on OS X manage with the Home and End keys not having any purpose for text navigation.

Seriously, how do you guys do it? I use these all the time and I feel so handicapped when I'm on a Mac.

Fags and dykes are not right.

Because arch is more programmer friendly and has AUR.

You can easily develop multiplat on loonix.

Not so much on OSX. Not that you can't, but it's just Linux makes it easier with the libraries and what not.

With Linux you spend 0 money and don't break the law.

I develop for Linux on a virtual machine.

Stepping back :(

>Why not OSX?
Pointless operating system. Linux is for web hosts, so if it compiles on Ubuntu I can scp it into my web server and run it forever. Windows does all the games and all the programs.

Sorry, why would anyone use OSX?

>why would anyone use OSX?
Faster, cleaner UI with slightly less feature creep than Windows

So nothing functional, you just subjectively like the look of it? For having no reason beyond "it's prettier" I'm just going to call you a fag and leave it at that.

Whats wrong with HFS+?

Then install brew and use all packages you'd normally have. I don't see a problem.

Command + left/right arrow key functions as home/end

Most programmers at my company, including myself.
>Why not OSX?
Why would I use OS X?

>You can easily develop multiplat on loonix.
>Not so much on OSX.
Dumb cunt.

OS X is the only OS that allows native development for all 3 major desktop OSes and both major mobile OSes.

On Linux you can can only develop for 2 out of 3 desktop OSes, and 1 out of 2 mobiles OSes.

Coupled with the shit native font rendering, no serious developer would ever consider developing on Linux professionally.

There's no such thing as "native font rendering" in Linux. Linux doesn't render fonts.
Fonts are usually rendered with freetype2, and you can customize how that works.

I think I found the guy stuck in the giant Apple cave, you feel sure about that because you'll always need an Apple computer to compile for OSX, but there are a few UI frameworks out that supposedly hit OSX as well as Linux and Windows. After that, you just copy and paste all the code into your IDE on OSX.

Fairly new though.

>installing brew is hard :(
>I'd rather spend an entire week installing and configuring Linux, then fixing all the problems with hardware compatibility, then ricing instead!

there are tons of horrible things about it but in practice they don't matter.

>shit font rendering on linux
¿¿the first thing i noticed years ago when i installed ubuntu 8.04 was better font rendering than anything i ever saw on windows later??

That doesn't work in every text entry interface. And in some important cases, like Terminal, it only skips to the next/previous word. I do a lot of bash stuff so this is really frustrating for me.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Also, jblevins.org/log/kbd

>not using brew or Conda

shit taste tbqh

Lots of poor decisions lead to a nightmare for development and cross-platform work.

HFS+ is one of the reasons its so hard to share a network drive with other operating systems.

>muh brew is stable
lel faggots, you might as well run some half-assed AUR shit on Arch for production. Devs use Linux over mactoddler systems when they need real tools and that is why only frontend webshits can even think about using fruitbox computers.

t. NEET

t. "webdev," whose actual job is contracting HIV from other art faggots. I've been a developer for over a decade. Nobody adopted OSX besides faggot hipster startups. Your queer software is just as much a dead-end as your genetic heritage. Enjoy your painful death degenerate.

>tfw webdev
>tfw no artfag friends
>tfw no bf
I didn't ask for these feels

Every linux distro worth it's salt has a development environment pre installed
os x does not.
that's why.

Because you should develop in the same OS you'll deploy in. The servers at work are all Ubuntu, so I develop in Ubuntu.

>being autistic
>current year

Why would i?
Brew is shit compared to linux package managers.
I can't change DEs.
Cinnamon is better.
Command line is basically the same since you can get zsh on both.
All the tools i work with are easier to get on linux. Have you ever tried compiling gtk programs on osx? Or windows?

>Been a developer for over a decade.
still hasn't retired.
Just give up already.

>le age meme
I'm sure all those intelligent youngsters are just biding their time before they dethrone us. Fortunately the education system is getting worse by the minute. I don't feel the least bit threatened by Rajesh or Autism McNeetbux.

>lunix doesnt render fonts
>fonts are usually rendered

I'm not , but I thought I'd just make a quick reply to tell you that you are mentally retarded.

>state facts
>ur butthurt xD

We have to for work. I'd rather Sudoku then use iOS though. Wangblows is far comfier than both :)))))

Can't afford a macbook and wouldn't run OSX on my desktop since I don't want an iMac. If I had a macbook I'd develop on OSX, but I'd still use Linus on my desktop. Linux works fine for development anyway.

I'd still use Linux*. Wew, that freudian slip for Linus tho.