kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

could just dual boot ya know

shit os cant even detect your old install

>can't get any distro installed on my mobo
>can't even use a live usb

based UEFI

>Ubuntu

It used to copy your settings over from Windows as best it could.
Linux is all about regression though, new versions are almost always worse than older versions

Ubuntu has full compatibility with UEFI and Secure Boot.

Glad it didn't detect winpoo

That's with all OSes nowadays.

You have to click on "something else" for it to check your partitions

> DELETE THIS and install Ubuntu

/hackintosh+W10+Mint/

whats your excuse goddamnit

It won't detect windows because he didn't partition the NTFS partition for free space.
It would be detected if he had a seperate disk or free space on his current one.

Since we are on the topic, what is the best flavour of Ubuntu? I really hate Unity.

Not for me apparently. Tried 3 different ways to make a live USB with 3 different distros each but nope. Tried all the suggested fixes, tried old versions.

Ubuntu boots on my old laptop, but not my desktop.

Can't be bothered trying to get em to run anymore, and my desire to try has evaporated.

MATE / KDE

>""""hack""""intosh
>wincrap 10
>mint

Woah, 3/3 worst choices user, perfectly nailed it

It's because your just copying files over to a fat32 formatted drive. You need to dd (with rufus or something) the disk image to your USB so that it maintains the EFI partition formatting.

Glad we agree on that for Windows

>Ubuntu

Slower and more bloated than Windows 10, plus now you get to use Linux generic drivers. May as well just throw your PC in the trash at this point.

No I'm not dude, I used rufus.

I tried everything from every troubleshooting guide I could find. There is nothing you can mention that I didn't already try.

t.virgin who never used anything outside of windows

kek yourself dude El Capitan is awesome on my laptop which has 7 hours battery, W10 is ok for some shits and C#, mint is for general coding and compiling

make sure to check the encrypt option and pick a strong key

>more bloated than Windows 10
LMAO windows installation takes how many GiB now?

About 10 fully installed

5-6 gb.

ubuntu is near same with necessary updates in it.

also
>being space fag

kys
buy 4tb ssd already.

Why don't you just boot it in legacy BIOS mode?

twice as bloated than ubuntu then

Bloat as in runs like shit, Ubuntu is literally slower than Windows 10.

Also nobody cares about installed size, even if Windows install takes a large size it has over 20 years backwards compat, you can run Word 95 out of the box on Windows 10. On Ubuntu you can;t even run a CLI app from the previous version 9 months ago... epic FAIL.

>runs like shit
If they stopped using that piece of shit Unity, it would run a lot better. I don't understand why they don't use KDE by default instead of having to download Kubuntu.

>Ubuntu is literally slower than Windows 10.
Objectively faster than windows too...

It doesn't have telemetry and svchost. Doesn't suffer from 100% disk bullshit either.

>Slower than windows 10
Ubuntu is literally faster in almost every regard.
the file system alone is like 10 times better than NTFS:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-40-hdd&num=2

Ubuntu is just as bad as windows if you are concerned about privacy. No point using linux if you are just going to use WindowsBuntu

Did you disable the Windows fast boot shit?

>Ubuntu is just as bad as windows in privacy
Objectively false

Epic XDDDD jejejeje lmao:-DD

Wtf has UI has to have any role on application compatibility?

Are we being raided by Cred Forums?

>using linux

cringe

*buntu + cinnamon

Welcome to the master race OP. Don't let the shills change your mind.

>this post

cringe

>not running linux natively from cmd

>literally no reason to use gui linux

>No reason to use GUI linux
What is android

>Epic XDDDD jejejeje lmao:-DD
Would you like a tampon and some cooling creme for your ass? It seems to have ruptured pretty bad.

awful

>luuk @ me, im so speciul XDDDD
Immediately hang yourself

You have autism.

You may not notice, but you do. I bet you don't even wear underwear under your trousers. I'm going to kiss your dog and make love with your sister.

There's only one way to kill yourself. Delete system32 and hang yourself, you fucking autistic cunt

>luuk @ me, im so speciul XDDDD
Damn, kiddo, you are mad as hell lmao.

>this post

cringe

>Delete system32
Haha what a funny joke, original writing like this must keep the readers coming back for more!

>I'm going to kiss your dog and make love with your sister
>I'm going to kiss your dog
I think you might be the autistic one

EPIC FAIL :-DD

>comparing ntfs driver on linux to native ntfs support

>implying NTFS isn't faster on linux anyways.

I have a PC that is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 15.10 and I am noticing a drastic difference in speed between the two. I was told that Linux is more efficient than Windows and should run faster. Everything from slow boot times to slow application loading and page switching. I have Dual Quad core 3.2Ghz machine overclocked to 5.4Ghz with 12 Gigs of ram so the PC shouldnt be the problem. Any suggestions? I am new to Ubuntu and Linux in general so all help would be appreciated.

I Installed Xubuntu by a Live USB on a notebook with a 32bit UEFI without issue
Disable secure boot and overdrive to flash USB.

override boot*

Are you using nouveau or proprietary video drivers?

I've tried both. It's just nowhere near as resonsive.

>You need to dd
No, you don't, Ubuntu's iso is not hybrid.

is your CPU overheating because of the overclocking?

you will be back in a day or two.

have you tried nomodeset?

Nope, I already have been using Ubuntu in my laptop for the last year

>implying you're not a retard

>Thinking NTFS is good at all
>Calling anyone retarded

>literally making up what I said to win an argument
>not retarded

Best? That depends on you. KDE, Mate, Gnome, or LXDE are all good in different ways.
I do quite enjoy Unity, after a little changing around. I just wish it wasn't so locked down in terms of appearance. But the default config really doesn't do it any favors.

You are incorrect. I'm sorry you couldn't get it to work for you. Better luck next time.

lolno. You speak from ignorance, but since you are posting on "Cred Forums-tech memes", I can understand the mistake.

ITT: Noone notices OP is on a VM

Windows runs ubuntu internally now and can even use linux programs natively

>Farewell, Windows.
more like hello darkness my old friend lmao

It's a placebo. Try running your torrent client from it

Same issue.
Running all fine on W8.1 and ~5sec boot time and now is all slow on ubuntu 16.04 on a 4.4 kernel.
compiling 4.7 kernel atm to see if there's any improvement.

>compiling kernel on ubuntu
what a retard

uh sorry to break it to you man but NTFS is only super slow in those benchmarks because of shitty linux implementation of it.
Yes NTFS is slower than ext4 when used on windows vs Linux ext4 , but not by that far of a margin.

In all seriousness, this. If you can't install Gentoo you might as well stick to Windows. There are no benefits to the newb distros these days. They're all bloated botnets in their own right.

>its a linux is supposedly better than Windows thread
>good luck finding drivers for anything though
>good luck finding programs
>having to do everything from the command prompt
we get it, you are part of anyomouser, you are region. Its faster to just double click to install shit on Windows without typing a bunch of shit.

Nice choice my dude
Make sure to go to fixubuntu.com once its done installing

Its faster to type the package name than google the thing you want, ignore clickbait ads, click through license agreements, then install it

really? Okay then what's the command line to install visual studio

haha it's funny because visual studio is proprietary software made by Microsoft!

You're really funny user XD

ha so no command line for that? Okay what about Manycam?

haha it's the same joke it just gets funnier every time XD

>shitposting instead of posting it
So the software I constantly use, you cannot find a substitute for. You linux fags are surely the worst.

enlighten me then? Am I that ignorant? Been using newd distro's all my life. nice and hasslefree. tried gentoo once... complete waste of my time. (not saying gentoo is bad though, just not worth the hassle)

#packer -S visual-studio-code

See you in 2 months when the novelty wears off and you just get bored of having to use worse software for no good reason.

I'm sorry that you feel that way friend. I hope you realize that an Operating System is simply a collection of tools, and that you should choose the best Operating System for your usage.

Because you use proprietary software on a daily basis, it's best for you to continue to use your proprietary Operating System. :)

>too stupid to shrink the windows partition before installing
It's actually Windows the one that fucks up your boot every time you install it, I had to disconnect my other drives so the shit wouldn't try to make its fucking system partition in my loonix drive.

>having to do everything from the command prompt
You say it like it's a bad thing.
The package system is god tier and it's faster once you're used to it.

>finding drivers on linux in 2016
either it works ootb on Ubuntu live cd (GPUs will work anyway with blob drivers) or it doesnt work on linux. What the fuck are you searching for, kernel modules?
>finding programs
you have to do that on windows too you know. The fact that you don't have to do this anymore after years of usage because you already know them just proves this point.
>command line installation scares me
well nothing to do on this one. If you hate the command line just look at piece of shit appstores ridden with adware and other shit.
whats the installer for garage band on windows though.

There is literally no reason to choose Noobuntu over Debian as a first GNU+Linux distribution.

this is true unless it cannot boot from your uefi-locked laptop. Also unless you cannot install the necessary non-free firmware. Other than that i perfectly agree.

i hope you're not memeing me senpaitachi, im downloading it right now

see you in a week

I've never seen a Debian desktop that didn't look like utter shit.

hey just wanted to let you guys know that when i get a 240gb SSD i'm gonna use that for games, and then i'll use my 120gb SSD to dual boot windows and linux

thanks for reading.

Noobuntu is so bloated

just make sure your hardware is supported, add contrib non-free to your repos, and set font hinting to light and font smoothing to rgb. And if you use stable and nvidia drivers , install them from the nvidia site .run installer properly (dkms , and linux-headers-number installed, nouveau blacklisted and initramfs updated afterwards).
So yeah it wont be an out-of-box experience but it will bless you with lower boot times and less used memory and cpu.

have you seen a non-ubuntu desktop not looking like utter shit? its just a matter of picking the right theme and maybe changing fonts. You can even download ubuntu ones if you miss them.

not as bloated as windows.

*at least

nice blog, keep us updated on the boot time comparison. Try fedora 24 vs ubuntu 16.04 vs debian 8.6 vs windows. you can also benchmark boot times and cpu/ram usages of different DEs , that would be interesting to read for me :^)

>just make sure
i understood none of what you just said

so twice as much as debian jessie with gimp , inkscape, qcad, vlc and libreoffice installed? So you need 10gb of place to draw dank memes in paint and browse the net with edge ,and switch the wallpaper?

>let me rephrase that for you:
Hello , i can see you are trying to install Debian as your first distro. Notice that , contrary to Ubuntu, by default debian installer does not include non-free drivers to hardware such as some wifi cards, GPUs and other things. So if you are using a laptop you may want to use the unofficial non-free installer:
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
This is in order to make sure you wont come back here in 30 minutes saying that your distro of the choice based on the opinions of anonymous people is totally shit since nothing works and you overridden your windows install just to find that you have no internet connection and have no way to go back. Also you can check if your wifi/ethernet drivers work on a debian live dvd:
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Keep in mind the default configuration of things such as font rendering or other stuff that "just werks" on ubuntu or windows may not be setup to your liking by default , for compatibility or some strange unknown to me right now reasons. Also graphics drivers are pretty old and your best shot is in installing them from the installers available for linux on the amd/nvidia website. This operation requires you installing some packages required for proper operation of the drivers installation, and you will have to use command line to do so.
I really have nothing better to do with my life today so i can explain if you are interested.
Best of wishes.
user.

I don't even get this secureboot bullshit. How often do situations where people boot "non secure" bootable medias happen? Obviously Microsoft is just paying motherboard manufacturers to pretend a bug where only Windows UEFI medias can boot is a security feature.

Freedom is by definition insecure since it lets you fuck up hard.
Therefore only devices guaranteed safe my Microsoft®™ are allowed.

the number of times i booted ubuntu from usb on school computers or CDs back in the day without access to BIOS is enough to prove me that secure boot is just a forced lockdown on retarded administrators. But still yes, its an excuse to mess with dual-boot people and linux users. On my laptop with ubuntu 16.04 i had to either install in legacy mode or disable secure boot every kernel/nvidia drivers update with some weird linux program because i couldnt disable secure boot on uefi, it was either uefi + secure boot or legacy boot. Good thing i can still set it to use legacy boot.

using it for a few months now. Wont go back, I guess.

Install Cred Forumsentoo.

run "systemd-analyze > boot_times_log.txt" daily and feel bad about your distro of choice after another month. Unless you use an SSD.
Pic related, boot times on my hdd.

It was around this time 11 years ago that I installed ubuntu and stopped using windows. OP, maybe you're like I was back then.

anyway, today I use Debian. But I ubuntu is a good way to get started with linux.

holy fuck that titlebar i always forget

wut, m9?

good riddance
never come back

, and automatically detect hardware and software errors, and automatically select the approriate updates for your hardware drivers, and launch anything with two clicks, and basically do everything for you?

>Linux is all about regression though, new versions are almost always worse than older versions

I'm a fan of Gnome 2

Cinnamon on top of Unity

>launch anything with two clicks, and basically do everything for you
you mean start installing anything with two clicks, but have you manually do all the downloading and clicking and unticking of adware opt-ins? Also manually upgrading all the software you installed later since still no great package manager. Also all this software that you can install takes more space than the 10GB.
>automatically select the approriate updates for your hardware drivers
this is a forced meme, drivers for GPU and wifi are always older than the latest stable release, and in many situation force-upgrades to some shit webcam or wifi driver that gives your computer cancer. Having to properly install amd drivers for hd 7770 on windows 10 was pain in the ass and i had to do a reinstall 30 minutes after the first one because automatically installed driver hanged the PC, safe mode too.

and you will defend this by saying something like:
>its not my problem you have old or retarded hardware
And i will happily say i don't own the PC i installed windows 10 on.

Vanilla windows 10 is really shitty and featureless compared to any recent linux distro out of the box. Granted you can install superior 3rd party software, but the 10GB of things you install is pure trash compared to a windows xp install.

Depends what you like. They all can be good to you , or all can feel odd with the default choice of packages.
I like proper vsync ootb so i like unity/gnome/cinnamon and maybe kde but not kde5.

You've been using it for months and you didn't even change the DE or the default theme? Do you like orange and purple that much?

>Are we being raided by Cred Forums?
Isn't it obvious with all the GPU and gayming threads?

>Debian testing but with a different release cycle
And?

Startup finished in 5.356s (kernel) + 15.205s (userspace) = 20.562s

are you unironically shitposting from a VM user?

okay, a VM located on a ramdisk running Debian. i cant bother with optimizing the kernel.

just dl .deb from the kernel-ppa
kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/