Whats a good distro?

I would live something like this! What's a good customizable distro for desktop? (Arch live usb wont connect to internet so I'm looking for other options)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-US/accessibility/windows10upgrade
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Device_driver
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Arch has a live usb?

Cockhead

Use ethernet to get started or skip the autism and use Arch Anywhere, it's a true masterpiece of perfection.

KDE Neon

the Arch crowd never fails to amuse me
what a bunch of fucking retards

so what do you run if not arch?

Gentoo is good for this purpose -- better than Arch honestly -- with far more ability to actually change internals and modify packages and more stability and more speed (if only a little bit) &c.

Obviously comes with a trade-off of compile time, but only really big packages take more than 30 seconds to compile, and those all have binary versions if you want them.

I keep hearing nice things about NixOS.

Slackware is also good for this to an extent.

I know these are all distros where people say "hur dur autism lolz" but I think they're sort of in the vein of the OP post.

Slackware is really easy to into, and Gentoo really isn't bad if you can follow a simple guide. It has a couple more steps than the Arch installation (basically just kernel config). It takes a few hours to do, depending on hardware, but almost none of that time is actually you doing anything, and almost all of that time is a straight two hour block of time in which it's compiling the entire OS from source. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the length of the compiling here: updating really doesn't take this long once you get it all installed. If you update frequently, updates are almost always like 45 seconds a day.

7 ultimate

KeK @ u

Linux Lite for max stability

lol. you right. this the best

A couple more things:

1) kernel config, if you're all scared about it, can be dropped if you just go the lazy route and use genkernel
2) Slackware doesn't suck and you should definitely check it out. It's the most stable thing around nowadays imo and if you want to live on the edge, there's always -current. Everything is very easily configured with plaintext config files. The package manager can be made to into dependencies if that's what you're all scared about. sysvinit allows a lot more configuration and modification than systemd.

That's all it has. Are you the only autist on this board who hasn't, at one point or another, fallen for the Arch meme?

Windows 10

I've heard that Ubuntu net-install is pretty good for picking and choosing what goes on your system. Then there are PPA's for third party packages, which can be nice. Managing them is a pain in the ass once you accumulate enough of them, though.

But if you really want absolute control during installation, Gentoo may be a better choice.

OP asked for a good distro user, not the worst one

>Arch live usb wont connect to internet so I'm looking for other options
Wifi?

Windows 10 is free and great and supports all the software
Demand genuine software

ip link set enp0s3 up

So Arch is not abled to connect internet, amirite?

>Windows 10 is free
It's not.

ye but has not gui, is only for the installation

It is
microsoft.com/en-US/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Yes, it can. If wifi, try wifi-menu.

Debian is comfy, never had any issues besides user error. Do a barebones Install and work from there.

its hooked up to ethernet (desktop) and shows the device and that its up, but no ping no matter what i do. i scavanged all the msg boards i could find

Nowhere does that page support your claim.

tried that lol. not that easy.. think it has to do with router and ip address asignment, but i dont have access to the router

I can help you troubleshoot, if you want.

correct
no wifi. desktop doesnt have wi-card

meaning?

I can help you connect and install Arch.

So Ethernet? I'm the Gentoo shill from before, but whatever. try this. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Device_driver

yeah.. i tried that. i tried most of whats up, but no luck. and id be down for gentoo... but im tryna take the easy way out lol. Im gonna use linux as my secondary dual boot

"Im gonna use linux as my secondary dual boot"

Dual booting is fine AFTER you find your preferred distro. I suggest trying a variety in virtual machines because easy as fuck and easy to delete VMs you no longer need.

If more Anons used VMs there would be fewer distro questions because you could answer your own in the detail you need. Dual booting was necessary on my old Celeron 366 a million years ago. Those days are over.

State your goal. Ricing? A convenient usable Linux install? Learning Linux in detail?

Try in VMs first. You'll thank me later. All my Linux hosts have Linux and Windows VMs. My Windows hosts have Linux VMs. An OS is a tool to run apps. What apps interest you?

What's a good distro that just werks out of the box but is also super light without bloat?

The best balance of working out-of-the-box and not bringing your CPU to its knees.

All I see on this thread are shit desktop environments with shit window managers.

That's the ether ethernet, you idiot. WPA type interface will start with a w

Just wanna make sure we all know you can code?

I mean if you're using Linux, I would hope you have basic BASH knowledge.

Not everyone is a skid like you buddy

lol what environment are you using?

It isn't a environment, it's just a window manager bspwm with lemonbar

I switched over to Linux over the summer and I found Manjaro Xfce is one of the best for beginners. Xfce in general is easy to customize, if you want something even easier Xubuntu us a good option too. Same destop, easy to customize. You could just about get away with never using the terminal.

All distros can look like anything.

You guys are fucking retarded.

This is what's wrong with Arch community.
Stop taking desktop pictures with anime playing, you fucking skid.

Nice default terminal colors

I have nothing to do with the "Arch community".
Tell me what anime has that aspect ratio too btw

Are you aware of resizing player windows?

If that's a image it just makes you even more retarded.

Your desktop looks like ass, and i3 is bulk shit

how does it compare to linux lite?

Yeah, it's an image.
i3 is pretty lightweight tbqh

lol

so im gonna install an arch based distro to bypass the internet issue then customize after initial install ;) thanks guys

what bar is this? (If it's i3bar, how did you get the date centred like that?)

i3bar; lots of \t

Install Arch. All the fun of installing gentoo without the autism.

>you fucking skid
what

>edgy teenager alert
lmao, pathetic

Isn't there dialog package in Arch live?
You just type wifi-menu -o