Dual Xeon X5690s vs i7 6950x

This is a top kek. I paid less for this entire system than it would cost to purchase the i7 6950x alone.

You'll pay the difference over a few years in power bill costs, don't worry.

Compare new to new price and adjust for inflation.

I honestly bought this system for $1k about a year ago and I have no regrets. All it really needs is an SSD because the boot up times are kinda shitty due to the HDDs I have.

My *entire setup* pulls 325W at the wall while being lightly used. That's not shit.

The 1.gen cpus still have more power than most people need, even just a quad i7 for 1156 or 1366, and a oc'd hexa will last for years to come.

I actually had dual x5670s on a SR-2 mobo a few years ago running 4.4ghz. Was a "for fun" rig I got pretty cheap. On full load the cpu's alone drew over 650w! Got hot as hell in the room during gaming.

Thats the drawback of the 1.gen, they do draw power. But performance wise they are still kicking ass.

Have since switched to z97 itx and a 4670k.

The only thing I miss about 1.gen is that you could overclock any cpu on any chipset. When the jew'd that away from us, buying new hw became alot less fun, tho maybe a good thing not wasting money on new shit all the time.

Keeping hopes up for Zen tho!

a 6950x pulls ~180w total at the wall at low loads.

Dual E5 2670 reporting in. How much did you spend for yours?

...entire setup = my 2 monitors, my 7.1 surround system with an actual receiver and my pc.

is that OC'd ? what motherboard

i'm looking for a xeon smp box for HPC, but have been on the fence

$1k for entire system.
No it's not OC'd. It's a factory Dell Precision T7500 system.

LGA1366 is a bit long in the tooth.

The 5690 is 1/2 the performance, and in 2MP, they're about 70% of the 6950x.

And then there's memory bandwidth. 32 GB/s vs 76GB/s.

Decent machines, but I got rid of all my LGA1366 stuff years ago.

Also, while we're on the subject, my PC pulls about:

100W from the wall during the night (peripherals off)
160W while idle
170W average over time
240W during light gaming
400W during heavy CPU load

(reported load is relative to my 540W UPS)

>$1k for entire system.
I mean for the CPUs, motherboard and RAM (respectively)

You're functionally retarded. The draw difference between these setups parts out a few dollars per year. You would have to be running 24/7 for at least three decades to make up the cost difference of upgrading.

to

>hey Cred Forums please tell me I didn't fucked up for buying this shit

>$1k for entire system.
I spend less than 300€ for mine. Xeons x5690 are fucking expensive

>100€ for mobo
>45€ for RAM
>120€ for CPUs

>xeon
too bad you need a nuclear power plant to power that

>take any processor
>encode 1080p video on preset veryslow
>watch is slow to a crawl

x265 on preset veryslow

Seriously, it cripples everything

Xeons's use less power per cpu cycle than i7's my man

With a 2GHz 12 core E5 Xeon I have an idle load of under around 100W with a monitor as well. Lasts about 1 hour on a 750VA UPS.

It's very nice and efficient.

For DCC I would rather have the Xeons with the extra PCIe lanes. There aren't any gaming boards that can handle 3 GPU's. The PCIe lanes don't matter with games.

2 xeons, with 3 1060's would be cheaper, and faster than the i7 6950x with a 1080, or even a titan XP.

are those cheap SB-E Xeons still worth investing in? I'm considering buying a new motherboard and upgrading to a single E5-2680.

Speaking of PCIE lanes, wouldn't ibm power8 cpu make an awesome nvme storage cpu? I think it supports like 80 lanes per cpu package.

engineering sample?

Sure is. Got the processor from somewhere and built a system around it from spare parts, so it was very cheap too. Under 1000 dollars.

They're still $70, so they're still great.

Only downside is power draw, but that nowhere near offsets the price gain of spending $70 on a CPU costing well over $1000.

the 2680 is more expensive, but I'd probably upgrade to a E5 V2 once cheap ones start showing up on ebay.

anyway, is it a good idea to use a supermicro server board in a workstation?

>anyway, is it a good idea to use a supermicro server board in a workstation?
They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I had to cheap out an get an ASRock EP2C602 because all the supermicro boards with square ILMs were too expensive for me, but it feels pretty shoddy.

(For example, can't control the fan speeds properly)

>electricity's 10¢/KWh
No he won't.