So what GNU/Linux distro does Cred Forums use for servers? What is the best one?

So what GNU/Linux distro does Cred Forums use for servers? What is the best one?

This is about server use only, not general desktop use. Home servers are allowed.

Debian, go study.

Debian/Ubuntu sucks though. Are you took retarded to configure Apache?

/thread

debian/centos/rhe

Using centos. No problems, easy file structure. Apache loves it.

Gentoo and Alpine

Are Debian/Ubuntu cucks the new Winfags of Cred Forums?

this

Slackware

>apache
>not nginx
>2016

Fuck Linux, I myself use OS X Server and sometimes Darwin

It would take a bit more work than say debian or centos because it comes with a limited supply of packages in repos and you'll have to install stuff like snort on your own. But from my experience, it's a very solid and no nonsense distro. Gotta respect it for that.

People actually use OS X and BSD as a server?

Yes, Through the power of affirmative action, even retards are able to find work in tech fields.

Yes, i used BSD before Linux was invented and also fell for the OS X server meme (don't use it at work now though) early on

I recently setup a headless Plex server in my house. I can FTP into it as well but I want to find some way to have a dedicated torrentbox. It could be within the Plex server or on something separate like an extra raspberry pi I might have. I want it to torrent through my VPN service and download directly to the Plex server however that is possible.

Create a VM or container and route all internet-bound traffic through an OpenVPN interface

Passthrough the filesystem using 9p in libvirt (if kvm), or in the config of lxc

cool

can you guys explain to me how hackers attack web servers?

if a web server has a fuckton of ports open is it dead a la water?

Not him, but why through a VM or a container?

linux
apache
mysql
php/python/ruby

Assuming you mean 'compromising' instead of 'attacking', they target specific services/programs which run on the web server and escalate privileges using security flaws.

Prevents leaking, and I prefer to isolate my services within containers regardless

Debian
CentOS
Ubuntu LTS

NetBSD

Gentoo, if you do it right

that's it.

CentOS 6.8 minimal

>NetBSD
...what?

right now, I've got the machine running Win10 with Plex and FTP servers running.

I'm absolutely willing to erase and put some linux distro on it if it's easier to just start from scratch.

The goal is to have a plex server that is completely accessible from anywhere which I already achieved through plex pass.

All I need now is to find someway to remotely download torrents through a vpn straight to the plex server.

so presumably they do an nmap of the network and see what services are running if a service is running in which they've familiarized exploits they're compromise it?

can you iterate further into compromise?

What's a container?

i think you could ssh into the machine to download torrents.

you can get a debian server up and running in less then 30 minutes.

If you are using it in a professional or university environment there is no other answer besides RHEL/Centos and maybe Scientific Linux. Most of the third party software that run on Linux are designed for these distros in mind, so no missing packages and rpm's from third party are available for some.

If using it at home, you can set up any server tool on any distribution to be honest and it's just a matter of taste. Also minimal installation of any distro is 90% same, so it doesn't matter.

Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch

My alma mater runs almost entirely on Debian GNU plus Linux.
So does my current employer.

What separates RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora from each other?

There is literally nothing wrong with Debian.

I guess they're not interested in electronics at all. Good luck to them.

It's not necessary to. I'm not sure if hyper-v can do fs passthrough, but I know virtualbox can. I only recommended kvm because that's what I'm used to.

I use rutorrent to remotely manage the VM, lxc to isolate the service, and OpenVPN with a VPS to proxy the traffic. It's a fairly complex setup, but the gist to do it is:

* Create your virtual machine / container
* Install rtorrent from source
* Install a web server (I use nginx)
* Install rutorrent and requirements
* Setup OpenVPN on your VPS and allow traffic redirection through it
* Firewall your internet traffic to only go through the OpenVPN interface
* (Optional) dnscrypt setup if you're paranoid
* Pass through a folder on your plex server's filesystem to the guest VM, and set rtorrent to write directly to it

The reason I use a virtual machine instead of just redirecting rtorrent to the interface is that rtorrent likes to leak traffic regardless of what interface it's supposed to bind to.

If you're on BTN, there's a decent guide for OpenVPN setup at /forums.php?action=viewthread&threadid=16875

That basically sums it up.

I used 'compromise' because 'attack' can be ambiguous (e.g. DDOS Attack). A compromise usually means running arbitrary code on a victim.

A method of virtualization and resource allocation. There are a few diffferent approaches to it, but just google Docker / LXC

RHEL vs CentOS
= Commercial support vs Community support

Fedora is the community supported experimental playground for Red Hat
It's only recommended for developers and enthusiasts, not production environments

CentOS

my wageslave company is still running this shit for a decade, using it from web host, database, vm, nas

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

What company?

ubuntu server LTS

debian, arch, or gentoo
I've ran servers with each of these, they're all good and it really only depends on your competency as an administrator
slackware I wasn't impressed with, the packaging system took way too long
rhel/fedora/centos have shitty ass yum

idk, it's good? Low RAM usage, I'm using it in my next rtorrent build.

>Using arch in a server env
Goly gee, sure do love when a mission critical application gets updated and now nothing works! SUre do love spending so much time configuring everything to the extreme, and checking every package to ensure nothing breaks!!!!!

>idk, it's good? Low RAM usage, I'm using it in my next rtorrent build.
i'm just confused as to why someone would recommend it over freebsd, openbsd or even dragonfly

Debian 8.2 Jessie on my VPS. This was a mistake.
OpenSUSE Leap everywhere else. This was not a mistake.

OpenSUSE a best.

Not familiar with the other BSD variants, I just picked NetBSD as I'm more familiar with it, sorry.

Debian hardened

Lmao arch as a server

CentOS 6.8

Why do you even need a server at home?