/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where's_Wally?
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=deepin
linuxatemyram.com/
virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3
arch-anywhere.org/
android-x86.org/
forum.xda-developers.com/windows-8-rt/win-8-development/live-asus-t100-ta-magic-stick-t3091481
slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37/graphics/scrot/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128531
imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#mogrify
a.uguu.se/7tSOEOZ68auP.png
a.uguu.se/wCAV3RA6VO8l.gif
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications
itunes.apple.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for fedora

second for debian

Opensuse leap is glorious.

Why dont more of you lincucks use it? You can even use yast from the terminal, you can SSH in and start yast.

Perfect server OS. Perfect daily driver OS. Find a flaw.

Here's the same image in non-shit quality. Also how is that GNU/Linux related at all?

Third for Gentoo

Debian is for werk Gentoo is for fun

check bottom leftish of OP's near the people holding hands

I just asked this in the old thread but because this is a new thread then what the hell.

Could someone give me some insight on to why my wifi on my laptop is always hardblocked from kali and ubuntu? I've tried so many things (that I can't really remember). Anything I tried was only temporary and continued to do it when I powered off my system.

Its a shitty Acer Aspire ES1-521 with 8GB RAM, AMD A8-6410 APU and the wireless adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x

that looks like a good metaphor for the fragmentation of the GNU/Linux community

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where's_Wally?

It's a Where's Waldo with RMS cleverly GIMP'd into Waldo's place. That's how.

>beta testing corporate shit
no thanks, I prefer using an OS where a package manager update doesn't break usability

>t. this is my opinion

facts, opinions
all the same am i rite?

no

How does opensuse compare to other server distros like centos?

why does it take me like actually 5x or 6x longer to load pages on arch than it did on debian and windows?
how come half of the time i try to open terminal nothing happens?

I'm writing a simple bash script that takes user input and formats it with other system info into a file and then handles that file accordingly.

Very simple. I was wondering if there was a way that I could have more advanced user input than just having the user type in the input from the terminal. This is mainly to allow for the user to have more flexibility to format the response (which is difficult to do in a bash script where enter would take you to the next code segment).

I was wondering if there was a nicer way of asking for input, such as opening up a nano window for every input instance and having whatever text was inputted appended to the final file when the user exits. (purely theoretical)

In;b4 use another language and X library that has advanced user input functionality.

It uses more modern packages, can be upgraded to the latest release just like debian. Its less of a pain in the balls to set up out of the box as well.

Also its the only distro ive tried where KDE5 wasent a completely untable mess. I think this reflects more on KDE5 desu. Fedora im looking at you.

Solid distro for linux noobs or pros.

upgrading to a special snowflake OS comes with its costs

time to spend hours troubleshooting things you will never again care about

Well, next time I get the chance I'll give opensuse a try.

more like time to find the old debian zip disquette

i got pic related
a 2:1 tablet
> multi laser m8w
apparently processor is Intel BTY QC
for whatever this means
so it came with Windows but already someone already screwed it up
question is what can i install here?
either full Linux or a Android build?
and how(or where can i find info on this type of device)?

this
Debian is sanity
I use Debian for things I don't want to fuck around with, ever.

Gentoo (Arch, Parabola, Ututo) is 4 fun, who cares if it breaks

is there a tiny button anywhere on the edges, like on you would have to push with a pen?

just warning you, you're going to face more challenges running anything but Windows on that type of hardware

What exactly is the difference between leap and tumbleweed?

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=deepin
has anyone here given this a go?

leap uses a stable release model i.e 42.2 is due out in november to replace 42.1

tumbleweed is a rolling distro and is not geared for stability

with a pen? doesn't seem like it...
apparently the default to enter bios is volume+power holding together, but I still can't get the bios

my brother said he could boot on kali, but not ubuntu...
and also the same model seems to be available for android as well

echo '

$ echo '
> 123
> abc
>' > file
$ more file
abc

or use read

or bash's extended read -e

Does touchscreen compatibility depends on DE? Or should I watch out with what distro I am using?

ed is the standard text editor

What do people mean by fucking around with an operating system? Like what, changing system config files and not remembering what you did, installing random binaries, deleting system folders?

Are they retarded?

>install linux
>used 90% of my ram
nope, goodbye linux

sayonara~

That nobody uses anymore

I assume some people enjoy running GNU/Linux in a VM for the sole purpose of running rm -rf ~ and laugh like little girls.

Fellow winbabby, it just shows how clever Linux works. See: linuxatemyram.com/

>changing system config files and not remembering what you did
I'm guilty of this

>have issue
>open a shit load of tabs finding a solution
>try something
>forget which tab I found it on to undo it

But not on the level of completely borking things and normally figure it out eventually

>I don't use it
FTFY

Sorry for the perhaps dumb question, but I've been trying out distros to find a new one I might like, and I came across an oddity that I can't seem to find a good explanation for. How do you change display frequency in Mint and gnome ubuntu distros? The option isn't available under the settings -> display section like in arch/fedora or KDE distros.

>changing system config files and not remembering what you did
That's you should use git.

don't like the germans behind suse, or at least not as much as the other big players in the linux game

xrandr --rate

what is bash/firefox history

t. amerifat

oh no, you caught me

N. Carolinians > Germans

fucking google it retard

>friendly gnu linux thread

My understanding is you have to figure out the rate manually, which I don't want to do, and I believe if I read things correctly xrandr should only stick temporarily. Once you power cycle it'll return to 60.

okay, i keked.

just saying you could see what you fucked with that way.

>he fell for the friendly meme

alright I share a new light...
at least found how to get into the bios
by clicking all buttons at once, power AND BOTH vol up and down
damn this!!!

now the question, what the fuck processor arch is this?
> CPU: Intel BYT Quad-Core
and should I try for android or a linux?

debian is my home, my muse, my calm in the storm.

Why is nobody posting pictures in this thread?
This is an imageboard. Post pictures.

>try to take over the world twice
>try to exterminate low tier human beings
>strong engineering skills
>logical thinkers
>made schwerer gustav
>made bagger 288

Their currently cucked status wont last forever user. Redhat and whatever the fuck it is thats backing debian cannot compete.

Are you saying that your adapter works and can try to connect with your wifi, but is prevented from doing so? Or are you saying that the machine does not recognize the hardware at all?

I have had some trouble in Kali with the internal wifi adapter fighting with the USB one.

The first one. When I first update and upgrade and all that shit it works perfectly fine, once I reboot it hardblocks the adapter and I can't for the life of me get it unblocked.

ok

>low tier human beings
Did you know that the majory of people who lead todays technology are jews or gay?

Kill yourself cuck, go back to using niggerbuntu or SJWbian or whatever cuckold distribution you use.

That's a lie. Subhuman fags never advanced technology and neither did the kikes. It was pure white german males who advanced technology.

I completely forgot about ed. You're right, this should play very nicely with input. Thank you
These are simple solutions as well. I'm just going to see what integrates the neatest. Thanks

Because the people are either asking or answering questions, so there's less focus on images than there would be in a discussion-type thread.

I think people would post more images if there were more discussions going on, instead of simple Q&As. But I agree more images are better on an imageboard.

lol dat pic

okay... now I can't boot anything from my usual multiboot usb.... cause damn thing is 32b
send help!!!

why is Cred Forums in a (((gnu)))/linux thread

because that one guy you quoted said he didnt like opensnooze because it was german

opensnooze is actually the best distro of ganoo slash unix tbqh senpai, dosent matter than its german

Because Cred Forums is going to uncuck Linux. That filthy kike (((stallman))) must be exterminated and GPL must be made invalid to stop the spread of communism.

I dont want every post to have rms images

Actually Linux is cucking more than GNU.
>botnet blobs
>open source shilling
>supporting locked down systems

You need to go back to school and learn about communism. It's not what you think it is.

>implying Cred Forumsacks know anything about actual politics

Cred Forums is just a place for people who have nothing and are nothing, all they have is the location where they are born, so they use that to feel superior

on arch. any way i can install virtualbox 4.3.38?

upvoted
>on arch
lol

arch is for advanced users only

>he fell for the Arch meme
>he fell for the *advanced* meme

Has anyone tried to install gentoo from the linux subsysem in windows 10.

>friendly gnu linux thread

virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3

thank you for the help. can someone at least tell me if im on the right track? i got link for the old builds but dont know which one to download, could i get the .deb and install it with dpkg with no issues?

This is driving crazy. I have set mpd to bind to my local ip so that I can stream to my phone when I'm connected to wifi. This is all fine but the port used keeps changing every now and then, like yesterday I was using 192.168.1.6 and today it is 192.168.1.3. Obviously this causes a problem with mpd starting. Is there a way I can stop this changing?

>pipe dream

This is not the port, this is the ip address. Configure your router to static address.

I don't have access to the router at the moment, I would just set it to my external ip so I can stream away from my wifi network but unfortunately that's not an option right now. But the router is the only way to make it the same every time?

configure /etc/hosts for domain hostname

You can setup a static address connection on network manager(probably).

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 norbert

Can I use that 127.0.1.1?

>zip disquette

arch-anywhere.org/
this is just arch installer, right?

so can I build a custom android to put on a i386 tablet?
tablet in question came with windows, now I successfully booted the Arch install media,
though I'm pretty risky in terms of drivers and etc

>so can I build a custom android to put on a i386 tablet?
yes

how?

have a look at
android-x86.org/

so this is a fork android like for pcs
but the regular android build way can't compile to i386?

the thing is, this is for tablet/netbook bizarro child, it came with windows 10
and I was able to boot the arch live media, though lots of drivers were missing
and considering its still a tablet and all, it should work better overall as an actual android system

what's the tablet's manufacturer and model?

i had a similar situation where i was trying to get debian to work on an Asus t100 and stumbled upon a live usb someone created specifically for that laptop that allowed you to boot into either android or ubuntu.

I'm setting up arch on my chromebook and when I go to install i3-wm it doesn't have xorg as a dependency, is this normal? I don't have it installed atm. When I was installing the video driver, mesa apparently has wayland as a dependency for some reason, but I'm pretty sure i3 doesn't use wayland.

its a multilaser tablet, the model is m8w
do you still have it? so it wasn't actually arm and android worked well?

I guess I can do that as well, installing first the Arch linux and reserving some space of the android-x86 user mentioned above
the big problem though, its such a unknown device I have to clue what the driver blobs I need

forum.xda-developers.com/windows-8-rt/win-8-development/live-asus-t100-ta-magic-stick-t3091481
it's x86 and you can only use android in a live environment and cant install it from within it.

it worked fine for me but i really dont know if it'll work for your laptop. i guess it's worth trying just to see if it's even possible to get android to work.

My Keyboard Shortcut on menu settings doesn't launch on Kali.

I just want to make a keyboard shortcut for Terminal

You should be able to hack that.

hum interesting, I guess if it works on the stick you could install it directly,
though that should be specific to the T100 hardware

in any case, if the android-x86 thing don't work on mine,
what would be a good DE to use with a touch screen?

guys
what do you think about the Google botnet?
inb4 Microsoft shit storm and everything
but Google is literally tracking every little shit about everyone
and mostly to "serve you better ads" (selling your ass off)
it's pretty disconcerting really, and I bet ms is biting their nails that they can't botnet without causing mayhem like Google does

I installed mainline kernel since the kernel for my chipset is pretty outdated, but the GPU binary blob is gone now so I have no 3D acceleration. Could someone please explain how I could manually install a binary driver that is .so files?

I don't like that they have bits of proprietary shit in most of their products, but they're pretty cool for contributing to FOSS in a number of ways, they're pretty transparent, they have privacy settings, and I haven't seen any solid evidence of them doing any horribly unethical shit like Microsoft and Apple.

Also Google products work well and are free of monetary cost to use

i'm trying out debian on my latitude c840 and for some reason when i get to the login screen, it's blank. if i ctrl+alt+f1, i can log in, but if i alt+f7 back, i'm still at a blank screen. i tested installing gnome to make sure it had installed, and it had. what do?

Microsoft and Apple also did contribute to FOSS

Where can I find a comprehensive material to learn about setting my network connection?
I am a beginners for this (I usually dumbly follow forum instructions / use installers) and I wish to be more knowledgeable.

Favorite monospace font and terminal?

How are Ubuntu's daily builds?
I'm considering trying out ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak)

yea
maybe
no

archwiki
terminus, urxvt
debian sid
indeed

It's time to clear the things right up.
What is the best GNU/Linux distro?

The one you enjoy the most.

mine ;^)

On the ctrl+alt+f1 screen, log in and type 'startx'. There should be errors.

Would I have to completely reinstall to upgrade to ubuntu 16.10 final or will it work like any other update?
If I'm currently on a daily build.

I fucked up my shit hardcore. How do I recover my partitions?

You fuckers are completely useless

shoulda duckduckgo'd it

we could just add a distro logo to the tittie pictures and it's technology related

did you guys not find the green pepper??

how does one switch from one version to another in fedora? I've not used it long enough that I needed to do this, but I'm curious. Do I need to install it again? Does it break a lot of stuff?

forgot the command, but went from the previous fedora to current, and it went well, was surprised.

Okay, what the shit
For some reason, debian is not reading my screen's EDID data and it's being registered as an "Unknown monitor" with a max res of 1024x768, even thought it's a 1920x1080. I've tried forcing it through xrandr, but that doesn't seem to be working, it just reverts to 1024 instantly.

Help, this is pain.

i just installed kali
is it right that i have to login as root? i though i used my name somewhere but nothing worked

On kali you need for most programs super user privs, hence root is default for convenience. If you're going to use it as main OS, you need to create a user and some other small changes. Check the kali website.

so i take it kali probably wasn't the best choice for my first distro?
do i stick with it or bitch out
thanks for the help btw

hey guys, i have a few questions about how to make ubuntu look nicer. how do i make my desktop look like pic attached? are there any good tutorials out there? thanks in advance!

>saw hackerman the show
>see kali used
>better install that to pop my linux cherry

i tried to install debian but i fucked up somewhere along the line and didnt get a de, so i just went with kali cause i thought it was more or less the same thing

install it

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package scrot is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'scrot' has no installation candidate
what did she mean by this

Ask in the desktop thread. Oh wait, that's right, all the faggots here ruined them and now they're not allowed. Try Reddit, /r/desktops or some shit.

I'm trying to play files over FTP with mpv.
I get this error
[ffmpeg] ftp: FTP server not ready for new users
[ffmpeg] ftp: FTP open failed
My mpv was build with FTP too.
And VLC can play it normally.
Any idea?

unrelated but where do i put my mpv configs

touch /.config/mpv/mpv.conf

Use ncmpcpp compiled with visualizer support, use firefox with vimperator and 'set gui=none,tabs' or something. Use CSS to customize the look of the tabs. I don't know the wm. The screenfetch-like thing might be neofetch.

Learning CSS is probably worthwhile, since you can match your web browser with everything else. I never have though.

But Gentoo is the most important part of the desktop. Even if your desktop looks like shit, if 'OS: Gentoo' is somewhere in it you will get respect.

>tfw you fell for the KDE meme
Back to XFCE!

Why?
What's wrong with KDE?
I was thunking of switching for the KDE connect.

Felt almost "too flashy" though it had a lot to do with the native programs. I just prefer all the defaults in XFCE over KDE defaults.
By all means, give it a shot though.

here friendo, compile this here scrot to satisfy your dependencies. obv you're not using redhat or deb because I think it's in their repos.

slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37/graphics/scrot/

KDE has a LOT of rice enabled by default in a lot of distros. It's super easy to switch on or off cause.... KDE has a GUI config window for fucking everything.

I myself have fallen to lxqt+kwin, kwin still objectively best WM.

What is a good lightweight distro for watching movies and photo editing?
I have this piece of crap computer which won't even play movies on 720p normally on ubuntu.

>Gnu's prefer eating grass on meadows where Zebras feasted before
ultimate
cucks
holy
shit

what the FUCK do you mean "no installation candidate" you retarded fucking nigger
fucking piece of shit os

dat bloat

>linuxatemyram.com/
Sir, BYT is Bay Trail, an Atom CPU. Best of Luck, Sir.

>virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3
Sir, you are wanting to use dpkg on arch? The site you linked has sources. why don't you just use pacman?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

good luck sir.

sir, port is the bit after the colon. Your router is using DHCP and assigning different IP addresses to your device. Set a static IP for your device and it shouldn't change again. Good luck, sir.

sir that's the loopback ip address. you will need to set it to something that's in the same subdomain. 192.168.1.6 would be fine. Something outside of your DHCP range would be better. Good luck, sir.

ya mon

I've been using Arch for the past two years, but I really fucked it this time.

Now X will not work no matter which drivers I try to use. It really isn't a meme.

What is the best distro that just works with wayland right now?

forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128531

I fucked up when partitioning my system.
It's like this
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

Now I'm thinking of migrating to a new HDD with larger storage, how do I do it without wiping everything?

Is XFCE still being worked on? I saw some dude on here saying that they're basically just pushing translations now. I like how straightforward and lightweight XFCE but I'm thinking about making the switch to KDE or something a bit fancier

Why fix perfection?
I'd rather have it stay good than have them pull a firefox and just add shit and fuck it up as an excuse to justify their existence.

XFCE still break.
I just had the panel stop working and had to close every application and then run it from terminal.
Not to mention the mouse sometimes disappear when running mpv.

How do I instal/usel hping3 without sudo or su?
I tried to compile it but.. pic related

So steam wants to install games somewhere in ~/.local/ lets say I have / on a SSD but have /home on a HDD where should I put games I want to install on the SSD

Anyone?

I need to teach a lecture on installing arch to highschoolers ages 15-16, how can I do it in a way that wont confuse the lot of them to no end but also not involve me spoon feeding them all individually to no end.

Is there any terminal that actually supprts Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V? Or am I just an idiot who can't figure it out?

use Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V

Try running a command and press Ctrl+C while its running
Thats why you have to use shift to copy/paste

This may sound stupid, but how to switch to different tty?

Oh yeah, I am an idiot, thanks

ctrl+alt+{F1..F12}

One would thinks so but it doesn't work.
I'm using XFCE if this makes a different.

What do you think it means? Do you not understand English?

I just found that anything that uses ctrl+alt doesn't work.
Is there a way to change the tty shortcut to different shortcut?

Honestly, I don't really understand what you mean.
So I could just change that 127.0.1.1 to 192.168.1.6 in /etc/hosts and it magically makes my local ip that every time?

Can i use 2 screens on radeon 6670 hd and integrated intel card? Xubuntu and mint see second monitor with integra but only black screen everything i know i can do is buying better card

afaik you need to run them both off the 6670

anything similar to google keep but respects muh 'privacy & freedom' ?

looks pretty neat desu

She is cute but Sam is the best.

> Sir
How to spot pajeet

You will not find anything like Keep.

both monitors are vga
card only supports analog/digital no analog/analog

nah google equivalences are hard to come by. then they kill off the service.

What IDE do you use Cred Forums ?

The best of course.

How to make linx pre-emptively use all all free ram for disk caching?

I post a lot on Fortran

Are you on a laptop? My thinkpad has an option in the bios to switch Ctrl and Fn

DE? Tsk, openbox as WM and tint2 as taskbar its all you need

Anybody know whats causing these graphical glitches?

Yes, T420.
It's not the buttons that are malfunctioning.
For some reason every thing that uses Alt+Ctrl system wide not work.
Even the drop-down terminal.
But when I switched it to Shift+Alt+T, it worked.
I guess something is overriding the Alt+Ctrl shortcut.

Does the GPL license allow for the reproduction of software that is non-free? (Or not, and that's what copyleft protects against...)
What license does that's similar?
I'm all for FOSS, but I also believe that people shouldn't be forced to produce open software exclusively.

I would prepare a Knoppix USB then boot that to see what works and take hardware inventory.

Also Google the precise name of the device and "Linux".

Not a malfunction there is an actual option in the bios to switch the Fn and Ctrl keys for people that want Ctrl on the outside

>Intel BYT Quad-Core

Prepare a 64 bit live USB.

I just installed Gentoo, and I followed the article for "Network Management Using DHCPCD", but whenever I reboot, I always need to restart dhcpcd to get a working wireless connection. How can I fix this?

I'm planning to make a new install but this time with minimal GNOME (without any programs come with it, just as a desktop environment).

My question is should I do it in fedora or Arch? The reason I'm conflicted is that I want to have the capability to install rpms as well even though small search shows you can do so in Arch too but I believe it would be less problematic in fedora. What do you suggest?

64 didn't work, at least I was able to boot 32 into Arch install
though the problem is getting the wifi driver

Any suggestions for a cheap portable computer that would have all-day battery life running some kind of gnu/linux.

The 15" thing I have now is a bother to lug around.

You need to enable the service. But to be honest, if you don't mind just install network manager, it handles things easier for less experienced user.

I'm trying to get the ncmpcpp visualizer running, but mpd won't write into the fifo
I entered the exact config that is recommended in the arch wiki into my /etc/mpd.conf and my ~/.ncmpcpp/config
but mpd doesn't create the damn fifo at /tmp/mpd.fifo . If i create the fifo manually, then mpd doesn't write into it.
the fifo doesn't show up as output in ncmpc or ncmpcpp either, even though it's define as an audio_outpud in the mpd config file
do I need to reload the mpd config or something? restarting mpd doesn't do it either.

It was a joke about the "where in the world is RMS" page i think.

Do messages for IPC sockets go into RAM?

I found the cause of a known bug in Xubuntu 16.04 that I don't think the cause is known for.

What do I do to fix it?

How does that work? Does the hex translate to rm -rf /home/ or some thing?

I have about a thousand images, 1366x768
I need to crop them all from 7,456 to 298,676.
I've tried:
~/img] convert *.png -crop 292x221-7+456
convert: unable to open image `*.png': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2709.

What am I doing wrong?

i use a laptop with a sim card as a modem

sometimes the connection disappears and only works after shutting down and restarting

anyone had this issue before?

im using ubuntu

Try .*.png. I don't know what you're using but it's like grep I think.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 or something like that

whats the deal with wpa_supplicant

is it a systemd special?

can a gentoo man chip in if it works with eudev

Didn't work.
It's ImageMagick.

Guys... After trying out other distributions, I decided to stay with Ubuntu. But it had disgusting Unity installed and I wanted to change it to the KDE environment. Is it going to run like shit if I run
$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop ? Should I just delete everything and reinstall? :\

Use find or write a loop or something

Check this out then:
imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#mogrify

better delete everything and reinstall

Hi I'm running ubuntu xenial and after trying to do an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade I get this message:

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

Why is it holding it back?

I'm trying to install Arch on my MacBook with Arch anywhere, and the Arch wiki tells me that I need to run some commands in chroot after installing it for the OSX boot manager to be able to boot the Arch installation, does that mean I run it from the ISO, or what?

Well I did an apt-get install "packages" and it succeeded but gave me this warning:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.

Ok. Kind of weird that convert doesn't iterate though them.. mogrify worked, I guess
But.. for some reason after converting them to .gif they retained the original size?
a.uguu.se/7tSOEOZ68auP.png
(NSFW) a.uguu.se/wCAV3RA6VO8l.gif
It isn't just me?

how the hell do I access the @ key?
at the 2 key side

>but I also believe that people shouldn't be forced to produce open software exclusively

I know exactly what you're thinking: Some people may produce proprietary software to earn money so they can buy food for their kids. This sounds pretty right at the first second, but think again; is there a difference in selling proprietary software as developer and selling heroin to kids in a dark street? Both do it for the money, while harming others.

Threre are better jobs than producing nonfree software. IMHO producing nonfree software should be illegal.

convert espects input and output
you din't give it any output, so it cries
use mogrify

I did, Thanks anyway. ()

try adding a \! to force the resizing
292x221-7+456\!

since convert espects input and output, you usually just loop through the pictures like this:

for i in *.png; do convert "$i" converted_"$i"; done

Just checking those digits.
Also: ImageMagick is one of the best programs ever made.

Please help, how do I SSH?

Ok, the \! worked. c:
I'll remember the for loop next time.

Why is ubuntu so ass-backwards? Installed the latest lts server on an old laptop to test it out. During installation it asked for network info for my wpa protected wifi, no problem. After installation, when I boot it up it suddenly only supports connecting to wep networks? And the only solution is to download something to get wpa working. Who the fuck comes up with this shit?

I swear I saw one yesterday?

Babbies second Linux here. I tried asking for help in the (expired) screenfetch thread but no one answered before it got archived.

Pretty sure I dun goofed somewhere. It seems tint2 is completely broken for me, along with other stuff judging from the errors in terminator. Trying to install themes works partially I think, but icons are pretty much a no go. Would anyone be willing to help a partial noob out?

Mixing GTK and QT environments is a TERRIBLE idea.

tewi
termite

use the arch wiki on wpa_supplicant

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

it should be installed

Why don't you go to the Xfce blog/website and see for yourself? Are you going to trust the first answer you see on here? Is it really that hard to open their website and click on the "git" link to see the commits? Is it really that hard to read the news and blog posts?

Explain only core concepts, don't go into specifics. Explain what each step does and why it does. Connect it all, don't make it sound like just 10 random lines/commands that are copy-pasted.

Why?

Can someone help a guy with something really quick?

I am trying to relive some childhood nostaliga, and I'm trying to run an old game on my lappy. I can already run Jagged Alliance 2 on it, which is from 1998, so I don't know what gives.

Here is the error report, does it mean I am missing directx7 dependencies?
How do I correct this?
Please help a guy out

Run this to see what it translates into.
echo 726d202d7266202a | xxd -r -ps

Hint: it's "rm -rf *".

[citation needed]
Wait, you can't, because you're just making idiotic claims you saw from other people.

remove the window decorations (usually tiling wms do this automatically), install neofetch, ncmpcpp, get a firefox css, done

actually it was just one faggot who ruined it (the el rato guy) who started 100 desktop threads and then desktop thread got it's autoprune

if you ask me, I'd rather deal with shitty anime and nice desktops than with all this winshit, gpu and general consumer threads here ;_; normalfags pretty much killed Cred Forums with their "what should I buy" shit

Useless use of echo.
xxd -r -p

is the correct way to get into linux choosing one distro and sticking with it or trying out a bunch?

whatever floats your boat

Basically all distros are the same GNU/Linux. The differences are just what comes preinstalled and how the packages are managed, which is something you can decide later, when you know what you really want.

So, sticking to one and learning to customize it to your needs is a good idea.

You do whatever you want. I don't give a flying fuck if you like to break your system.

you press shift user

Can anyone help with this?

How does /fglt/ manage their oneliners?

I started out playing around and distro hopping in VM's. Then based off what I personally liked/didn't like about them moved to forks/branches of similar.
Then once I was comfortable with what I liked put it on an actual computer.

.bashrc
##description
Script

Disregard all that.

Just google "set up a static IP address linux" you'll get the results you need, come back if you have questions.

shift was another key above it
turns out it was alt gr
which there was no indication and no other key had showing

anyway managed to at least install Android x86 here
it boots and wifi works
but everything was sort of borked
screen is upside down, no touch, no suspend
but at least something

I actually wrote a small shell script for it.
It greps them from a text file.

$ oneliners ffmpeg
ffmpeg command 1
ffmpeg command 2

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
iface eth0:1 inet static
address 192.168.1.24
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.1
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

reboot.

bashrc
oneliner-that-does-things() {
oneliner
}

>sudo nano

man sudoedit

also what's the point of reboting for network stuff?

1. how should I learn xorg and programming better? I want to heavily modify my window manager and extend it into a complete user interface.

2. fish is my shell but all of the scripts and stuff on my system are written in bash. How can I make them run using bash, while I still get the comfy fish interface?

3. some of you ricer guys have comfy rectangular translucent glass window borders. Is there a way for me to do that in herbstluftwm?

thanks

How do I put multi terminals like this: . And if these are not multi terminals, what are these?

Please don't be real

Best free VPN for linux?

I need some double-glazed tinfoil for trump shitposting tonight

Yup, I have Downs

Make anime real again

>fish
why do people feel the need to replace bash?!
>borders
comption

Is there a better way to keep SSH alive than what I've been doing?
reset;num=0; while true; do sleep 10; let num=num+1; echo $num; done

Command history and prediction.

Tell your server to not disconnect idle pipes

>also what's the point of reboting for network stuff?
Not sure senpai, but you need to reboot after configuring or it won't work.

You should read manpages. Bash can do a lot of things like zsh and fish. The only thing bash can't (afaik) is syntax highlighting.

fish isn't posix compatible, so you can't run bash scripts in fish interactive, but since all scripts should have a shabang (#!/bin/bash for example) they run in their own shell anyway.

No, you dont
Cycle your card

alternativly:
bash script.sh from your fish shell

Hey guys I have an old R61 ThinkPad which was given to me for free. Well a while back (maybe a year or so) I installed Crunchbang Linux because I needed a lightweight distro(since it has an older CPU than the core duo and 2gb memory). Well I wanted to learn a bit because I am new to commands and such, also the customizability. Well Crunchbang has died and become some new distro, so my question is what is next? I want to install a new distro and also learn more with the command prompt. What do you guys suggest? I am also installing lubuntoo onto a cheap prebuild I got for 30usd and using it for a media server, your thoughts?

How does it break the system?

#! actually came back, one is an official comeback named BunsenLabs and the other is Crunchbangplusplus. IMO, CB++ is more faithful to the Crunchbang I know (Statler/Waldorf) than BL distro is.

>CB++
looks pretty dead to me, unlike bunsen

Alright, I can now ssh into all my devices in my LAN. Now how do I do I connect to my home pc from the uni wifi network?

Why don't you save yourself a ton of work and time, and just use a VM with a period correct OS?

It's a tiling window manager.

Thanks a lot, I'll give that a try.

what is some essential free as in freedom software for a college student, that replaces the usual proprietary stuff

set up an openvpn server on a pi or routerboard

AbiWord, emacs, Gnumeric, LibreOffice

I'm doing comp sci not something like business studies, probably should've clarified

You'll need a word processor, spreadsheet editor, calculator and text editor / programming environment in any case.
If you're doing CS might as well get accustomed to Emacs.

Is there any way to make my Manjaro Xfce 32-Bit login faster and snappier? On kernel 4.8 on my Atom netbook...

why the fuck is firefox so shit?

i download it and when ran as user it's literally so buggy it's almost inoperable let alone preferred. when ran as root it's fast.

does someone know what the possible deal could be? up until i figure this out i'm going to continue using google chrome.

SSD

As we all told you on the firefox thread.
Your user profile is shit.
Your user is loading in pointless environments.
Of course root wont have this shit, its not in active use.
Clear out your user shit and git gud

>threaten to go to chrome
No one fucking cares
enjoy your botnet

Sometime in the near future... Any other way/s?

just installed arch for the first time and I love how it comes with nothing. I always hated bloated shit that I'll never use.

now I need all of you to do what you do best, circlejerk over what the best programs are for the following:

torrent
image viewer
video player
music player
-any other recommendations

ty :^)

No.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications

why should i literally have to make an asinine amount of configurations just to get it up to speed?

rTorrent
feh
mpv
cmus

None that I can think of that aren't hardware that would make a noticeable difference. Maybe disable splash screen? And disable autostart of everything that isn't absolutely critical in Xinit.rc or whatever it is.

Why have you bogged down your user environment so bad,before even installing firefox,that it makes applications slow?

your USER ENVIRONMENT IS SHIT

Load up a fresh user with NOTHING on it and fucking launch firefox
It's a YOU problem

Anyone can give advice on how to get an RX480 working with BunsenLabs Hydrogen (Debian Jessie)? I believe it needs linux 4.7, possibly an indev version

>torrent
the one I'm using
>image viewer
the one I'm using
>video player
the one I'm using
>music player
the one I'm using
>-any other recommendations
install gentoo

np

Ok, just did that and this is what ifconfig says now:
wlp12s0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 0c:60:76:66:e1:e5
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::777d:89df:72f7:7dd8/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:6868 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:2560
TX packets:7615 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:866524 (866.5 KB) TX bytes:1117646 (1.1 MB)
Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000

Was it not supposed to be 192.168.1.24 after putting that in /etc/network/interfaces?

Hey friends. I'm a windows guy who is looking for an easy transition to linux. Which one should I choose?

this is my second year and I have not had to use a spreadsheet editor, I tried emacs but I think I'm gonna go with vim

I go to a respectable university which means we use latex for everything basically, I haven't had to touch a word document since I've been here

mint cinnamon or zorin

How can I properly install dolphin on mate and/or xfce, and make it the default file manager? On mate I could install it, but trying to make it default became a little mess, with some stuff (specially from the start menu) opening with caja and some opening with dolphin. On xfce, I installed, and it became the default with no problems, but it wasn't showing icons. On ubuntu mate with xfce desktop it kinda worked tho

ty famalam

no problem
have fun

how do I play podcasts from itunes?

itunes.apple.com/

I have a link to a podcast on there but there's no download links. how do I grab the files or just play them under Linux?

why do so many de's try to look like osx

>iTunes

wrong thread for that, shithead. gtfo!

ya it worked same as root.

question is what caused original user to have such a messed up env? i only downloaded stuff from package manager, etc?

No, it's always the right thread to get people to stop using iTunes.

just got linux
what is some cool stuff to install

why does osx try to look like all the other de's

gentoo

a cool wallpaper

GNU

->
-> ->

there's no alternative you stupid shithead. if you can't help and can't keep your obese mouth shut, GTFO!

> le my distro meme

Fuck you fucking faggot. Do you even know how GNU/Linux works? The supreme distribution is OBVIOUSLY the one that I use. You're such a retard. kys.

this you can't do anything with a kernel alone

>There are no alternatives to iTunes

Jesus... Go back to Windows immediately.