What's your preferred Linux distro and why did you choose it

What's your preferred Linux distro and why did you choose it

Other urls found in this thread:

everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gentoo. Install Gentoo.

Debian. It's stable and change scares me

Memes aside, gentoo. It gives me much more control over how my computer runs, which is important since it's older. Everything worked out of the box for me too which is perfect.

Windows 7 Enterprise because it just werkz

>Windows 7
This

zero memes here, but i fully recommend ubuntu. canonical spends millions a year making their distro the best. no other companies aside from opensuse and fedora can even compete. and who the fuck wants to use an OS named fedora?

Ubuntu because it's the best thing I've ever used and is used by many people in the world

OP here, I've been wanting to switch form Windows to Linux for a while now, and even practiced learning the command line in a VM, but how can I change everything over to Linux without losing all my Windows files?

Arch, wanted to learn more about Linux & I liked the idea of starting w/ a minimal base and building on top of it myself. Mostly a CLI user now, awesomewm, pentadactyl, vim, zsh, ranger, etc.

arch. cinnamon
arch xubuntu
arch openbox/tint2
xubuntu

because

>who the fuck wants to use an OS named fedora?

Fuck up you fat pasty cunt.

Back them up on an external drive, or resize your windows partition & dual boot.

hannah montana linux, because it has unprecedented uptime and robust scalability across broad domains

I understand the temptation of choosing a distro by its name, but actually doing it is pretty retarded. And the fact that "Ubuntu" doesn't repel you makes me wonder how your mind works.

Most Linux distros have inexplicably terrible branding. It's something I will never understand. Debian, Mint and Arch are rare exceptions. Everything other distro name and logo sounds/looks like a half-assed college project. I hate it.

Arch, because I wanted to be in the cool kids club.
I still use it because I think rolling is the way to go and the AUR is awesome.

Gentoo. At first because I fell for a meme. Then because I became addicted to the performance.

KDE Neon

I wanted something which, aside from a few minor maintenance tweaks, wouldn't require a significant amount of work to maintain. Neon is just that.

Fedora, latest (with GNOME 3 on Wayland)

It's got everything I need and works well out of the box. The only thing I tweak is the font rendering, but it's been getting better in recent versions.

Some people complain that it doesn't have as big of repos as Arch, but I don't mind compiling something if I need to, and Arch fags should know how to compile anyway.

My second choice would be Ubuntu, then Gentoo, then Slackware, then Debian, then Scientific Linux, then TinyCore, then Majaro, then Arch.

Ubuntu should detect Windows when you install and it will ask if you want to install it along side windows.

Make sure your hard disk is defragged before you do this though.

xubuntu because it's easy and light and does what i need it to do

Debian
It's the default distro on my SBC and the distro family I'm most familiar with so I just stuck with it.

>Linux distro

>refusing to use an operating system because of a shitty meme that became a thing after the distro was already called what it is

It's traditionally like that to keep normies out.

Slackware

- It's not a bloated piece of shit
- It doesn't force me to use systemd
- It's not a meme distro like Arch or Gentoo
- It's not a botnet distro like Ubuntu

Debian's unstable branch.

Never really had an issue with it and the more recent software and rolling-ness has been more conducive to my habit of buying new hardware constantly.

Plus, if something small is fucked for a version (quite rare given things like apt-listbugs), I theoretically have a bunch of other branches to choose from.

Wide support and giant repos across all architectures is also a plus.

Gentoo isn't a meme if you can configure it

Ubuntu is not a botnet.

Also I seriously doubt you even run Slackware. If so lets see some screen shots to prove it. Also prove you don't use systemd.

You're probably just a microsoft shill getting paid to troll people into installing slackware.

Not him, why the hell would a MS shill wanna do that?

Slackware is quite respectable from what I've seen.

>projecting
>Linux is my super secret le haxx0r club no girls aloud

Fuck you.

Do you use both stable and unstable repositories? Or just unstable? I would think not everything is available with unstable.

Xubuntu. It's the first and only Linux distro I've tried and it just werks so I've never seen a reason to try anything else.

Xubuntu. I'm a pleb and Ubuntu just works. Xfce looks like Windows and has the functionalities I want (vertical taskbar, black theme OOTB, CPU graph and Trashcan taskbar widgets)

Just unstable. And the antithesis is true. If packages conflict, in a lot of instances neither end up in stable or testing since testing will be the next stable. Unstable has had a history of being more complete for me, although I have pulled in a single package here or there from experimental and pinned packages that probably are in testing by now.

I agree. xfce reminds me of gnome 2, which I miss. Don't care how ubuntu looks or kde either. To each his own. I like xubuntu.

Also adding on to that, don't mix stable or oldstable with other releases, it's stupid and goes against what's recommended. Only mix testing, unstable, and experimental

Windows 10, I'm not a pedo or a terrorist.

>And the fact that "Ubuntu" doesn't repel you makes me wonder how your mind works.

kek

ubuntu iss an african woord

I heard Debian now supports firefox. Or is it still iceweasel? Maybe it's just me but I feel Debian lost a little street cred fighting overt a fucking logo. I went to school with guys at uni who refused to use it because of ice weasel. Silly I know.

>has to state he's not a pedo

You're projecting I bet you are a pedo, seeing as you feel the need to tell everyone you aren't.

>Make sure your hard disk is defragged before you do this though
Not him, but why I have to defrag my HDD before installing a distro?

Firefox just let them use the branding now. They thought Debian changed too much to use that, but other distributions have since gotten away with more, so they use it now. Iceweasel won't be a thing in Stretch/Debian 9 for sure, although there is a package for autists who want the branding. It's been like that for a few months now iirc.

Ubuntu

I just wanted an easy way to install GNS3 in all honesty.

>using Slackware
>"paid Microsoft shill"

I don't get it. Am I being trolled?

That's very specific

Correcting myself, MOZILLA wouldn't allow it before. Debian was always for keeping the name though, assuming basic patches got in.

>Am I being trolled?
I wouldn't sweat it until the accusations fly surrounding your sexuality. You're alright, take a deep breath.

I know but it sounds dumb.

>manually installing dependencies
Debian's package management is wonderful and if you really give af about systemd, you can install Devuan

>tfw Devuan doesn't support my architecture

I think because Slackware is an annoying experience where you have to use the terminal a lot and install dependencies yourself, so as to turn off a new Linux user with the 'linux is too hard' meme

Linux Mint 18 because I'm too much of a lazy fuck to install shit.

Arch. Less is more.

Gentoo

I chose it because it's basically only the distro out there that lets me customize my programs

Debian because it just works. My PC is a tool, not a toy. Played with arch and Gentoo in the past on secondary devices but only Debian gets out of the way to let me work.

Arch, because their packaging philosophy fits with mine.

Ubuntu.
Good support and we must provide .deb for uni projects so it's all good

Mac osx

>What's your preferred Linux distro and why did you choose it
Debian because stability and security.

Elementary OS cuz it's really fucking comfy

Debian with the BunsenLabs configs.
I'm pretty lazy and prefer utilitarian things to eye candy.

Slackware, mostly for simplicity and no systemd

Minimal Ubuntu ISO
Slim
Compiz
GTK
gmrun
conky

KDE Neon.
It's solid, surprisingly stable, also surprisingly lightweight, and has best KDE.

I used Debian for the longest time too, so I like that.

Void

It's just as minimal as Arch if not more so, but has no systemd bullshit

Fedora or Redhat, servers only. I'd never use a linux distro as a desktop/non-server/embedded. the userspace just isn't sophisticated enough to be comfy.

Slackware when Redhat went enterprise.

Windows 10

Fedora. Wanted to see if it was as bad as people made it out to be. It wasn't, so I stuck with it.

Ntfs resizing will take ages. I even recomend to shrink it in windows first.

Isnt there a ntfs driver patch for windows so that it searches for enough free space like ext does?

>Chinese botnet

xubuntu.

I chose it after trying just about everything else and it is the closest to what i want out of the box

archlinuxarm because it was ironically the easiest to install

Lubutu, just like Ubutu but without bloat.

Make a partition in disk management on windows and boot up your distro on a live USB and click install. Select install alongside windows.

Or if you don't trust the installer choose "something else" and choose the partition you made.

I've done it twice this week. There are many guides online too.

everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

I would recomend this one.

And ignore anyone who says backup windows. It's not necessary.

Ubuntu and Arch for maximum support

Fedora. It's stable and yet updates frequently

Mint because it just werks.

>tfw Arch will never become this comfy

My favorite is Arch, but I use ubuntu for work because bleeding edge is fun and all that, but not in a professional environment.

I started with ubuntu because it's easier for newcomers. I now recomend elementaryOS cause it's even easier. But my all times favourite is Arch, because of pacman mainly and because configuration files are much tiddier than anything I've used before.

you must be new here

nice compromised os friendo

Debian, because the community is pretty great

Arch, wanted to learn linux. Friends suggested arch, so i went with it, havent looked back since.

Arch. I'm not a power user or anything. I just really really like the AUR and how everything just works on there.

Tried switching a few times but I always keep coming back to it.

Devuan because I enjoyed Debian until that commie bastard inserted the malicious code into the kernel & community.

I also never user pulseaudio, because it is shit and unneeded.

debian, cause it's the only distro that will run on my 1024 x 640 shit posting machine

Explain

You could use literally any distro that supports x86(_64)

ubuntu 14.04. I have no need for rolling release

For years it was Linux Mint because "just werks," and it's not Ubuntu. After hearing about the security issues, I switched to Manjaro. Not sure if I'll stay with it, but it's pretty good so far.

Try out Antergos. It's Manjaro but less constricting. It helped me finally make the switch to proper Arch and now I'm happy as a clam.

I'm using Kali. How fucked am I?

I thought about Antergos, but heard something was better about Manjaro. I'll give it a shot if I don't just go straight Arch for my next distro.

you're using mint incorrectly friend
pic related

Mint
+ Just werks, less problems than Ubuntu from my experience
+ The closed source Linux software is usually distributed in .deb or .rpm packages so great compatibility.
+ Cinnamon DE

- Cinnamon needs a significant clean up because it's starting to look like Windows with all the vestiges of older versions
- Retarded decisions like not including Samba by default and poor software choices in general
- Retarded dependencies mean you can't remove most of the default software without removing the DE
- Bloated as fuck

Arch Linux because the AUR helps facilitate ease of use in a way that I haven't found to be matched in any other distro.

Gentoo. Because not bloated, no systemd and portage rocks.

Ubuntu because I'm tired of stuff being broken and I don't want to spend hours compiling shit.

Arch is good too ofc

I'm not telling because fuck off it literally doesn't matter

>Ubuntu because I'm tired of stuff being broken
>ubuntu
>stuff not being broken

Arch because rolling releaae

literally the only bug I've encountered is when you hover over the Chromium icon in the panel it doesn't say "chromium" but it spits out the name of a website. Some weird caching issue

Because rolling and GUI for everything.

Ubuntu Mate.

I started using Ubuntu around 5.10/6.06 era. At the time, Gnome 2 was the only decent DE that looked good. I used that until they switched to Unity, and then I dicked around with Fedora/Debian/Arch until now, where I need a stable machine. Ubuntu MATE fits that category perfectly. I can install a plethora of software quickly, there is almost always a PPA (>inb4) available and I can get good drivers for my 980TI without breaking X/the system.

Also MATE is beautiful.

Windows 10 :^)

Kali, because pentesting and stuff

noobuntu is so bloated

Windows 10
>just werks

I'm convinced I'm the only person here who loves Puppy
>Tiny
>Debian-compatible
>Hardware compatibility with everything but Wi-Fi cards is tops
>Easy as fuck to use and mod
>Low system resource usage
>Automatic dependency resolution
>Embeds in RAM at runtime, so it's crazy fast on literally any system built after 1991

Alas

>TFW stuck with Lubuntu right now because HP gimped the Omen's bootloader and GRUB4DOS no longer works
>TFW starting to love Lubuntu with KDE but still miss that Puppy ease and sheer blistering speed

you have taken the efficiency meme too far. I have Puppy on a 2gb SD card because I had nothing else to do with it, just in case nuclear war breaks out and I need to run a system on a discarded microwave. But there is no reason to use it as a daily. Even Lubuntu is stretching it unless your computer is 10+ years old. Also why the fuck are you using the lightest distro with the heaviest DE

Because it's comfy as fuck and my gaymen machine has zero hiccups with it

Debian
I started years ago with an old Slackware release that I got on a CD from a user bookstore.
Eventually dumped that shit, moved to Caldera for a time.
I used ZipHam for a while, as it worked well on a toaster I had.
I ended up on redhat while in undergrad, but eventually gave up on linux for a few years shortly after that.

Gave debian a go a few years ago, and enjoyed I didn't have to deal with all the randomly broken shit in other distros. I haven't really deviated much since, outside of trying debian derivatives occasionally (Ubuntu might have worked fine, if it actually booted for me. The machine I wanted it for simply hated it).

Probably gonna try arch out in the next couple weeks though. I've been itching for a project to do, and it seems pointless enough to keep me occupied.

Kali because I'm a faggot and it's the best choise for me!

Devuan
Salix
Keep taking the systemdick.

PCLinuxOS

No systemd.

DEBIAN

Xubuntu. I want the *buntu benefits but the standard environment is just so fucking ugly.

Unity reminds me of Cred Forums mmo shit

Gentoo. Portage. Just werks.

Cred Forums I can't decide. I'm trying to replace Mint with a better OS that actually works and doesn't break whenever you update the kernel

Ubuntu or xubuntu. I like the Windows look

Not memeing, Ubuntu. It's got great developer support, it actually just werks, and my computer's OS isn't a play thing.

You should never update the kernel unless you actually need to, tbqh.

oh look another data mining thread

I thought Mint 18 would handle 4.4.38, but I guess I was wrong. It's not my laptop because it's not some old piece of shit. It's new.

go for ubuntu mate

CentOS and Funtoo

Ubuntu Gnome.

Gnome's my favorite DE, and Ubuntu is just really simple.

This and this.
Ubuntu just works and lets me get on with my life. Gnome is just comfy.

go for ubuntu mate instead, mate

Manjaro on my desktop because I accidentally crashes my arch xorg with no survivors and wanted to check it out. And even after fixing it KDE shit the bed, so I wanted to give it a chance on a more stable system. It's pretty good, I think I'm gonna use it as my main for a while. I really like how it's not bloated to hell like antegros was for me, and still includes all the usual shit I need in a fresh install.

Arch on my ThinkPad though because it's easier to maintain and I don't have to worry about "apt-get dist-upgrade" breaking something every six months. Not a single legitimate fucking problem with arch since I installed it six months ago. Everything works, I don't have to play the ppa game, dependencies are easy to solve, and the documentation in the arch wiki is awesome. Community can be shitters towards other distros but also will be helpful.

Arch is fucking awesome man. I'm fixing to try gentoo next time I have a critical error I can't solve.

started with slackware, been with debian for about 7 years

ugly af

Ubuntu MATE
>Gnome 2 nostalgia

>using OS

Slackware. The first beta for this distro was released in 1993. Subsequent releases have always remained true to the original philosophy. Everything is simple and stable, but doesn't hold your hand. The package management is interesting as well, and there is a lot of documentation. Overall very reliable.

fedora gnome 3.20
runs fast on my hp elitebook

It's getting harder to pick a favorite because their all so fucking excellent.

GNU/Windows 10

>- It's not a bloated piece of shit
Full installation is totalbloat.

>Explain
Brain damage.

(You) have been cucked as from debian you can kick out systemd with ease. Keep trolling user.

Not him but every time I tried replacing systemd Debian became unstable, crashing every few days before ultimately failing to boot at all. I tried like five times.

>Systemd is not even half as bad.
If you really want to have a choice over your init system then use Bedrock.
Name one thing you can accomplish with V that doesn't work with systemd?
inb4 no bloat, semi-modern hardware can handle it just as it handles OOP and paging

Windows 10
Just werks

Debain.
Ot just werks, and it's all I know.

Linux Mint with Cinnamon because it's the best for me. Can use my PC like with Windows and even drivers wich didn't work on Spydows 10 working out of the box.

Also recommendation for all Cinnamon user:
>Desktop Scroller Extension
Love it so much.

Kubuntu master race here

It's disgusting. It looks pretty enough, but too limited. I never want to get anywhere near it again

Literally who uses this shit? Ubuntu with GNOME is superior in every way

arch because other distros at the time(2005) were so far outdated,and i didnt like having to manage 100 packages and 100+ deps manually to get updated software

Poop

Kubuntu is obsolete. Use KDE Neon.

I am currently on Manjaro and loving it so far. I got everything I need working, but my only problem with it is that it will not copy files to external devices properly and I am not sure what causes it. I would try to copy a 400mb file and the file manager says it finishes copying, but when I put it in another computer, it says only 100mb of the file transferred. If I can fix that error, then it would be amazing and I wouldn't consider switching to something else then.

I mostly switched off Windows from my laptop because Windows had this issue where it would cause my computer to generate a lot of heat and go into overload from me just simply browsing the Internet. I have not had that issue since switching. I tried Linux Mint first, but I didn't like it all that much. I went to Crunchbang and liked it, but it gave me Internet problems such as the wifi never connecting to my router or somehow disabling itself with a direct connection.

kde (puke)

Slipstream your windows install. Install your linux of choice on your machine. Install vmware. Use your slipstream media to install your windows in the virtual machine. Prepare to be a free man. Free as in not fucked in the ass against your will.

Debian. It just werks