Buy R9 390 for $190 off Craigslist

>Buy R9 390 for $190 off Craigslist
>Start playing doom, fans running at 100% and card is at 90°+
>Clean my PC, reroute all my cables, move around my fans, even reapply thermal paste on my card
>Only solution is going into afterburner and underclock card by 200 MHz
Seriously, has anyone else had this problem, or have I fell for the poo in loo meme once again?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K64893710
youtube.com/watch?v=UBj4-8uI_U8
youtube.com/watch?v=k3r4GGJqfck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>didn't even try undervolting
get the fuck off Cred Forums

Im afraid you did my friend. Please dont use toxic language like poo in loo. It is true however that AMD is a evil company who does this to their customers. You should consider a new GTX 1060 my friend.

I tried, still was running hot as fuck

>Please don't use that toxic language
I'm indian I'm allowed to say that

Well, certainly there's something wrong with cooling. Either:

1) Airflow in your case is shit
2) You need to reapply thermal paste to your GPU
3) (not very probable) Maybe for some reason fans aren't working at full speed (dust, wear)?

>buying used gpu
You only have yourself to blame. That thing is probably almost dead from all the mining.

yep. you got cucked op

are you sure that the thermal paste is somewhat new?

thermal paste tends to dry at the last spot and makes it even less effective

>AMD
there's your problem.

>off Craigslist
You're lucky you didn't wind up being a lampshade in some creepy guys apartment.

>90°+
Celsius or Fahrenheit?

>so poor you can't afford a brand new video card

did you try not living in an absurdly hot and humid country

The guy I bought it off of used it for a month

Lmao I met the guy at Lowe's

You running DX12 or vulkan

> Cred Forums

>Buying the card new for double the price
>Parents make $200k+ a year
Good 1 bud

Vulkan

Thermal paste??? On a gpu in sorry I just built my first rig I'm new to all this shit but why would you need thermal paste On a. Gpu??? I understand cpu but wh gpu??

either way its a gamble when you buy used. You low ball the best you can and hope everything is ok. I bought my sapphire 390 last year used for 280. no problems as of yet but i was ready to take a loss if it shit the bed a week in.

gpus get hot too. the TP on the gpu is per-applied. applying better thermal paste yourself could help lower temps but its not going to drop it dramatically. Unless the factory really screwed up the thermal past application.

I don't think it's a problem with this one specifically. I think amd and MSI just fucking suck.

Shouldnt have fallen for the amd meme
Topgoy

>AMD
>used

It was either 3.5 meme or housefire meme.

Either way at my price point I was getting a meme card whether I liked it or not

>was used to mine bitcoin and has 10000 hours at maximum throttle.

modern gpus are terrible and i have given up hope of a silent, cool super gpu ever happening

>The guy I bought it off of used it for a month

Haha, you fell for the oldest trick in the book.

>Only one month old!!!
>Never overclocked!!!

The card's faulty and you got memed.

>buy AMD card
>watch youtube video
>runs itself at full pulling more wattage and heating up more than it needs to
>all AMD cards do this
>nvidia doesn't pull this shit

Literally the only reason I don't buy AMD cards

fans at 100%?

my R9 290 was deafening at 60%.

>buy R9 Nano since it was on sale
>horrendous coil whine
>horrible and unstable drivers, random lockups / driver crashes while launching games, requiring a reset
AMD, never again

>watching Youtube on my RX 480 right now
>300-500MHz
>pulling 26W

Gosh, I guess it must be faulty or something!

>spout memes
>spout memes
>spout memes

Thank you Pajeet, your contribution is appreciated!

>Buying off craiglist
>Wtf, why is it malfunctioning Cred Forums?
You fucking retarded?

Also, change the paste, worked for me.

>buy Nano on sale
>increase power target and slightly undervolt and increase clocks to 1050MHz
>350€ Fury X
>meme arrows
Also did a fan mod to strap a big noctua on the little nano, thermals are around 75 max under load.

If it's an msi card, there's a good chance you can get it RMA'd.

>buy Sapphire Fury Nitro since it was on sale
>have zero issues

How do you people manage to fuck up something as simple as installing a graphics card so badly?

MSI replaced my GTX 460 with a GTX 570 when I had to RMA it a couple of years ago. BASED.

ok you're probably bought the shitty MSI brand right?

Meanwhile I have a 390X at 1125/1585 on air, 390 at 1115/1585 on air and a 3rd 390 at 1115/1500 all never reaching 70C in regular games and even in furmark I can't hit over 70C on any of them.

You got shitty cooling or you live in a desert. GG

>captcha: Jazz Cellar

For the exact same reason moron. The gpu needs cooling too you know. Those fans and that heatsink aren't there just for looks

I have Gigabyte version, fans never over 60% and max temp was 75C, shit brand you got there m8

There's nothing wrong with the brand. That card runs cooler than yours when it's not some shitty broken Craigslist piece of junk that was probably mining for the past 12 months.

>sell R9 290 for 167 € on ebay
>order R9 Fury for 300 € and enjoy improved performance, lower temps, lower noise

The 90 tier cards could really use 3 fans imho.

Also this, manually setting fans to 100% in afterburner almost gave me tinnitus.

>buts gtx1070
>lives life.

Yep, Im feelin fine boys

>buying AMD
you deserve it

>R9 Fury

Based

Anyone in here had success flashing BIOs and unlocking them sweet CUs?

I turned my Fury into a Fury X

I had one of the fans die (from me pressing on it while putting it into its case for transportation) and it was similar. One of the fans was running while the other was not. But even on max clock it didn't reach 90 degrees. It was a 280x. Sold it for a cheaper price to a somethingcoin miner

Something is definitely defective with your cooling and you got conned by the seller

mine works fine. 76c 1200/1600mhz

custom fan profile so it ramps up 100% when it hits 80c.

OP, google how to reapply thermal paste. on msi 390

its supposed to run between 90 and 100. At least yours didnt come with actual heating issues and bsod, mine did. Had to reapply thermal paste because they poured it on mine. Have MSI 390.

This happened to me when I bought a GTX670 off Gumtree. When I redid the thermal paste it ran like a dream.
Next time go to a /sqt/

make a better fan profile then faggot

>Buy Asus R9 390 last year
>Overclock it to 1120MHz
>Start playing D44M with nightmare settings, fans running under 30% and the card is under 75°c.
Next time don't buy used stuff.

>not overclocking to 1250 mhz
its like you didn't even try

Its not fucking "used stuff", the guy I bought it from had the card for like 2 months, he gave me the fucking receipt.

I reapplied thermal paste and that dindu nuffin.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
*smashes card*

I can sell the card for more than I bought it for and still make a profit. What I'm wondering is, is this a card problem or an amd problem?

How do you even underclock to 200Mhz?

MSI Afterburner only allows me to 520

>he thinks moving cables and fans around will fix anything

>Have same card
>Using Dual Monitor
>One is 60Hz, other one is 144Meme
>I idle around 50-55C°
>Fan speed at 20%
>Memory clock constantly at 1500Mhz
>Decide to plug out the 144Hz Meme just to see the cards real temperature

Temperature went down to 33-35 C° idle at 20% Fan speed, and reaches 40-41 with 0% fan speed

>390
>90C
Leave it alone, it works as intended.

I am serious, this is a hot card, noting wrong with it running hot.

If you're so nervous about it them get a cooler like this
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K64893710

It shouldn't run at that temperature. Even for me, I rarely reach 80 C° while gaming

Lol, my r9 390 doesn't run anywhere near as hot under full load and doesn't even have its fan on max speed either.

>Get Sapphire 390x Nitro
>never gets over 70 degrees

GOAT Card

>Buy R9 390 for $190 off Craigslist
Found your problem, probably why he got rid of it

also why the hell didn't you just buy an RX 470 brand new?

full shill mode: shit like this makes me glad I went with nvidia. And every single generation I hear of some annoying problem with AMD that only reinforces my fanboyism.

You bought someone's GPU that was in a mining rig for a year with not ventilation.

You get what you pay for. Get a 3rd party cooler since it's probably out of warranty now.

Could be several things.
Faulty fans
Poor airflow in case
Dust and hair
High ambient temps
faulty card

If the card is only 2 months old and you have the receipt RMA it.

My 780ti is barely faster than a 7970 in most new games. I geuss you enjoy being cucked?

Sounds like the same problem AMD had with the 290x. Sure they may get like 1 or 2 FPS over Nvidia at first, but they overheat very quickly, which means you'll get worse performance than the Nvidia cards after little time. And people always ask why I go with NVidia...

Fuck off shill. The only 290xs that had overheating issues where the reference blower coolers that nobody in there right mind buys.

Replace the thermal paste. Probably dry as my cock from all the mining and/or shit conditions.

Underclock BY 200.

The 390 is better then the 470

>Tfw upgraded from gtx 770 to the 390

Did you read the original post? I DID replace to thermal paste

I have that exact card and it rarely goes over 72c on full load with +80 MHz oc. It seems like it's a bad card but there's no way to tell if it's because of the previous owner or a dud from the factory. Try undervolting

Whats the max OC you reached?

I can reach 1150 with no problem, and 1200 with some heavy artifacting

They're both 5 TFLOP cards and the 470 produces less heat

The 390 runs hot

Too hot to actually use in india

But the R9 390 has more ROPS, and more Stream Processors. And 2x the Memory Bus

TFLOp doesn't mean anything

It means they have pretty much the same performance in the end for real world gaming

Ohm, not even close m8

>tfw fell for the sli meme
I have now wasted 800€ on two 780
>tfw 3gb vram
modern game titles hog on vram
end me fampai

Jetzt Avatarschuchtelst du sogar hier auf dem 4kanal rum. Ich fass es nicht.

youtube.com/watch?v=UBj4-8uI_U8

>he fell for the AMD meme

The huge gap in some of the games is probably down to driver optimizations, overall it's fairly close and the 470 consumes far less power, and it's bound to overclock higher in the end

youtube.com/watch?v=k3r4GGJqfck

>buying used hardware
hope this taught you a lesson, faggot.

>those core clocks

ARE FOR PUSSIES.

Yeah, that MSI fucking sucks. This isn't the first time I've had temp problems with MSI products.

Honestly just kill me

Do some research before buying then, fuckwit. The MSI 390 is literally the worst one

I did. I read the opposite of what you're telling me. Probably MSI shills

You mean the cooling is terrible.
The gpus are fine but people insist on tiny tinfoil coolers.

If you pull off any current gpu heatsink and put a cpu cooler on it, you will get 40/50c under load.

>off Craigslist

There's your problem. Probably buttcoin mined the shit out of it until it wasn't working properly anymore.

You have no one to blame but yourself. CL shopping is always a risk.

Confirmed shill or singularity-inducingly stupid retard. Asus Strix is confirmed worst version of the 390, and everyone who knows a fucking thing about the 300 series knows it.