Do you have any siblings? How Tech literate or illiterate are they?

Do you have any siblings? How Tech literate or illiterate are they?
How about your parents?

What pc/OS are they using? Do they even have a pc?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Hc5qkVR
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/WPS
wps.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Siblings? They know just enough to be dangerous to themselves.

Parents? Barely literate.

>Mom
Knows almost nothing. Is lucky to barely be able to manage Internet banking and word processing. Everything else I have to do for her. Uses Win7, refuses to even touch Linux, because "I don't wanna stress myself with anything new". Her laptop is some 2011 Lenovo model kept up and running by me for her.

>Dad
Won't so much as touch computers, and knows absolutely nothing about them. Very old school.

>Sis
Knows basics. Knows how Internet banking and Internet in general work, can do software installations/removals. Basic shit like that. Uses her laptop for games and Facebook mostly. Still needs my help if something breaks, be it hardware or software. Win7 user, because I have warned her about the dangers of Win10. Doesn't understand Linux.

>Bro
Formally qualified, has studied information technology, and could work as a sysadmin for a server farm for example. But currently is not working in any IT-related field, because nobody's hiring in my area. Quite competent, knows his way around shit. Me and him are THE go to guys when mom and sis manage to break shit.

mum: despite using a pc at work for many, many years, knows only how to operate work software, outside of that she's only familiar with the power button
dad: can turn it on and play stealth shooters / flight simulators
sister: plays games like the sims, uses msn and social websites, can use a computer at normalfag level

i'm the only one in my family with an interest in computers

My dad uses A Dell, Xeon processing piece of shit and he hates it. He wants to build his business desktop later on. I just want to buy some fairly good working HP or Lenovo Laptop, because y'know, Dell is ass.

(before someone points out the sims or msn, this is rather old information, i nor my sister have lived at home for some time)

so either you or your mom's boyfriend know shit about computers then.

I dont think I do. I've never used anything other than Dell, HP, and Macintosh. From what I've had (prices aside because I've either forgotten or just never knew), Dell is just fucking garbage like 90% of the time, mac(when my elementary school had those huge ass transparent monitor macs) wasnt too awful, and HP lasts a long time, maybe price or luck, or some other factor played a role? I like to believe I know the basics and maybe a bit more

My dad knows jack shit about computers and calls me over the simplest issues. Like today he called me because outlook wasn't loading and all I had to do was refresh the page.

My sister knows how to google stuff to fix simple issues so if she calls me for an issue its usually something that I wouldn't expect an average user to fix.

My mom doesn't do anything besides scream and shit herself anymore but before the alzheimers hit she was surprisingly competent for somebody her age.

100% illiterate sista.

My sister sits in front of the heater with the laptop on the carpet in the winter no matter what anyone says.

My sister is dangerous with computers but my brothers learned enough to avoid malware.

What is the problem with this

Dad uses fedora
Mom uses mint
and my kid sister uses puppybuntu.
We're a pretty cool family.
B-)

>Do you have any siblings?
No
>How Tech literate or illiterate are they?
N/A
>How about your parents?
Fairly. I lock down their computers so they can't fuck them up easily. Worked well so far.
>What pc/OS are they using?
A prebuilt dell for dad that he's had as long as I can remember and a new shitty laptop for mom ever other year when she breaks the last one. All Windows 7. Dad's computer is "incompatible" with anything newer and mom needs 7 for work. I have no interest in upgrading them past 7 anyway.

>Mom
Not very literate. Uses OS X.

>Dad
Also not very literate. Uses Windows 10.

>Younger brother
Illiterate AS FUCK. Uses Windows 10.

>Older brother
Very literate. Don't see him very often, but he was using some flavour of Linux on a Zenbook last time I saw him. Gave me an RPi for Christmas, works full time as a software developer of some kind.

>heater
kills the laptop with heat
>rug/carpet
static kills the laptop

You're an idiot. Stop pestering your sister

Very.
My moms husband raised my youngest brother to be a tech illiterate millennial. The closest thing he has to a computer is an iphone. The only time hes ever used a computer is when the school makes him, and he thinks its weird. He actually told me once that he thinks youtube is better on the phone.

i wasn't even the same user, and for fucks sake why should she be killing technology?

>uses msn
got me right in the feels user
Why cant we have shit that just werks anymore :(

>I just want to buy some fairly good working HP Laptop
>because y'know, Dell is ass.

I liked this picture more when I didn't notice the nose ring.

Sorry about your mom man, that shit is fucking cruel.

Dad: understands basic stuff, but has trouble with smartphones. He knew dos commands when I was a kid, for whatever that's worth.

Sister: uses a mac, asks me questions about basic stuff

Brotger: uses a mac, probably knows a lot about music stuff, never needs help

Mom: before she passed she could do a one basic Internet stuff and play mahjong

Me: I sort of built a computer, but I actually know fuck all. When I have a problem I Google it.

I have 4 siblings, none of them are very good with pewtors.
I'm also not very good but I'm closer to very good than any of them by a fair margin.

My dad thinks that pressing harder on his smartphone screen will somehow make it respond in a more agreeable manner. I can hear the plastic crinkling under the force of his thumb when he gets frustrated. I cry for it.

One sis had her iPhone keyed to dads shitty jury-rigged PC. If that went down, all her phone stuff would've.

Mum: retarded, Win 10
Dad: less retarded but needs Windows for CAD and other work so sticks with that
Sister: only uses MAC and thinks she's somehow superiour
life is suffering

2 younger brothers
Middle one studies political science and has absolutely no interest in computers, but does know his way around Windows.
Younger one is a bit of a gamer, plays or played minecraft and other stuff. He uses Mint right now because Win10 trashed the PC
>How about your parents?
Dad: very competent (but no real interest) uses a Macbook at home and a PC for work
Mom: could send emails on the Windows XP laptop, but now it's the iPad that replaces that
>What pc/OS are they using? Do they even have a pc?
-Middle: some ultrabook with Win10
-Young: some big laptop with Mint
-Dad: Macbook
-Mom: iPad

Also dust gets inside the laptop and it overheats and burns out eventually

too cute to exist

There is no such thing as tech literacy though. It is like calling non plumbers plumbing illiterate. You've either been made to understand the mechanisms of a function or you haven't. If you think your parents are illiterate of technology, it is usually just because they don't give a fuck and have enough shit in their life to consume their thinking time. I'm bored of the snooty air of superiority that attaches to most egos in the tech field. Binary, assembly language, all of it isn't half as complicated as it has been made out to be

This is literally my family, I just have a male version of that Sis.

Mom: completely Tech retard
Dad: somehow managed to get his rMBP to kerbel panic

Bro >>Sis: fuckin retarded and her daughter once stood on my laptop

my sister ran out of space on her iphone and some app couldn't update. she bought extra storage on icloud to fix it and called me to ask why there's still no space on her phone although she just bought some.

parents get scared everytime some new window pops up on their screen because they think if they hit 'ok' it will empty out their bank account or blow up the laptop.

>tfw you try to explain how things work to someone in very clear and simple terms but as you do so you can feel they're zoning out and just don't give a fuck

>my sister ran out of space on her iphone and some app couldn't update. she bought extra storage on icloud to fix it and called me to ask why there's still no space on her phone although she just bought some.
so THAT's why iphone users get the models with fuck-all space

Who's the girl, she looks familiar.

This girl?

yeah, where did u get the pics?

>unable to image search

Isn't she just a qt 3.14?

>Mom
Some experience (took a programming course in the 80s and uses AutoCAD daily) but takes times to get used to new things. Is fine switching between iPhone/Android/Windows Phone.

>Dad
Took programming course in the 80s as well, is an audiophile so he knows how to manage his music library. Gets very irritated at interface changes so he hates Windows 10 and gets very confused by anything that isn't an iPhone.

>Brother
Wannabe hacker and gamer. He puts more time into both than I do but doesn't seem to have as much interest in the technical details. Waited for a jailbreak for his iPhone SE but I somehow heard about its release before he did.

so who is it?

das me, rate/10 :3 ?

>mom
Despite working with computers as a secretary almost all the time in her job, she's only somewhat literate. Sometimes she straight up refuses to read basic shit like error messages and stuff telling her what to do. When it happens, she just tells me "something broke" even though the instructions are written on the screen. Installed a Lubuntu on her really old (2006ish) Packard Bell after several months of telling her that WinXP is obsolete. Of course I allow her to use my comp when she needs it.

>Dad
Win7. He's competent, but his desktop is in a really bad shape. Last time I saw it it was like as if a shark bit the case, which was filled with spiders, dust, some cheetos and maybe cereal. Disgusting.

>bro
Taught him everything I know, so he's very competent. Doesn't want to use Linux because "it doesn't have any games". $hill10

no it isnt, ive seen it online before.

prove it: discord.gg/Hc5qkVR

My brother knows some programming and a bit about computers.
My mom wouldn't know how to turn on a PC if I would not tell her.
My Dad has a degree in CS and is using FreeBSD (on a ancient desktop) and Windows(On a high end Dell business Laptop) he is mostly programming in Perl and also has a private email server which I am using.

Ive been online before user :)

fag

dude, shut up.
You're embarrassing me.

Mom started using a smartphone and is getting quite good at internet browsing but still freaks out at random notifications.

Lil bro has the usual know how, can troubleshoot a little by himself and learned R for uni purposes.

3 family members here. All running ApricityOS synced to a NAS and overnight to my remote server. Minimal headaches about files "disappearing" and worrying about updates.

your a dude not a girl. Just admit it already

Я вepю, я знaю этo мecтo нa фoтo.

Beдитe ceбя пpиличнo, cэp.

last word is photo

>Brother
needs a ecommerce website. I give him a laundry list of things to checkout with a gateway company before he signs up He wants to do business with.

Instead he asks me to send it to another guy,
who knows "allot about computers." but doesnt work for the company and cant possibly answer these questions:

What SSL certification do we need, Do we need a static or dynamic IP address, how long till we get our admin and account login information...

argue with him for 2 days that its a waste of time,
he insists..
so I send it.. dude send back a reply
"I dunno, I cant answer 1/2 these questions but it sounds good."

Tell my brother... he says "ok I'll sign up with the company tomorrow." ( $500+ sign up fee).
wtf.

ha photo ?

My brother has a BS in CS, currently living in Japan with his JP GF and working as a programmer.

Literally living the dream.

is it, it was a guess?

I'm an only child but I have a girlfriend.
She's pretty good, almost too protective "Don't touch it you'll break it", Knows how overpriced apple things are, familiar with linux through her brother.

Dad is good, he doesn't know much but listens to everything I tell him. Doesn't click on ads. But he's too old to actually teach anything to. Just wants to play solitaire and use ebay.

Mum is a lost cause, Clicks on every ad she sees, even after I've explained that there aren't "60% off shoes" at the end of the batter ad she's clicking on and they're just looking for her credit car indo. She only has a phone.

>Implying Dell isnt ass
>Implying HP is
F off bro.

"нa" is pronounced similar to "nah". The letter that looks similar to an English "h" is pronounced like an English "n", such as "Aннa", or in English, "Anna." In this case, it is similar to "in", as in "in photo".

Mum: Can only use software she uses for work and she can do her basic stuff without our help

Dad: very competent in CAD/hydraulic software but after he bought an ipad he just opened retard.exe and now seems like he can't even print something without beeing with me on the phone to help him.

Uncle: he was my teacher. He was really into IT field, he managed to be very very good at networking and server related stuff. Getting older he forgot nearly everything but he is still strong

GF: When i met her 6 years ago she was a mess. Literally. She was able to destroy a windows installation in like 3 months. I went full spaghetti and i did a linux mint install on her pc. Now she is 2 years linux user and she managed to learn basic cli commands and she has broke nothing since that day.

Everyone in my family has an iPhone down to my little sister who is like 12.

OP Ditch us

>Dad
Pretty good, probably one of the reasons I've gotten into technology. Has been file sharing and stuff since at least the late 90's

>Mom
Not very good, but decent, can use the stuff she needs to and don't need to ask for help that often.

>Brother
Pretty good, roughly at the same level I was at his age, maybe a bit less. Don't seem very interested in more advanced stuff though.

>Sister
Young, so she doesn't use computers/phones for anything else than playing games.

They know how to use Facebook.

It can be said she defeats planned obsolesce by killing her stuff faster than its time.

random internet bitch

>Mom
Smart enough to ask me for advice on PCs after getting burned on a shit Dell. Knows what torrenting / irc / yahoo chat is, but doesn't know how to hide herself from her oppressive ISP. Would get in trouble if she didn't have me around to give her HDDs full of content.

>Dad
Built his own desktop. AMD shill. Tried Linux to learn it, but is getting old man syndrome and doesn't care to dual boot (understandably, a hassle). Still backs shit up to DVDs.

>Sister
Illiterate. Can not grasp the simplest of computing concepts. It's like she has no brain activity at all. Probably because she's dead.

>brother
codes for a living, cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything
>sister
gets angry at computers when they misbehave.
>mother
takes detailed handwritten notes when people show her how to use tech. Computer desk is a pile of handwritten notes. every time software updates, the notes become worthless, but the pile only grows...
>father
Gets REALLY angry at computer when they misbehave. hates m$ with a passion. I'm installing Debian on his machine next week. Should be hilarious.

is that same girl?

Obviously

any more photos?

>I like to believe I know the basics and maybe a bit more
Well, live in your dream and stop posting your bullshit when you have no idea how computers work. You are American, I assume?

>Dad
Still buys magazines for Windows programs and tips. Got used to wiping and reinstalling every 6 months so it just werks for him. Uses proprietary video capture card and software for watching telly and cutting so I doubt he'll switch to GNU/Linux anytime soon but he's literate enough (and knows to RTFM) that he doesn't call me with his pc problems.

>Sister
Using full botnet Windows 7 and Chrome on her laptop that I clean for her every couple months in exchange for nice dinner. Too lazy to switch so I don't bother trying to convince her.

>Mom
Calls me with every minor problem she has on her Win7 machine; I come over, search online for a couple minutes and fix it. Too scared to try basic things on the cheap old Google-free smartphone I set up for her so she keeps using her Android 2.x phone and complaining about it. Only thing holding her back from switching to GNU/Linux is compatibility with old MS Office spreadsheets. Think I'll set up her PC with Xubuntu over christmas, get her to make her spreadsheets in LibreOffice and install Wine + MS Office for the intermediate period (2 years) where she still needs some of the old ones.

Basically I'm the only halfway competent person in my family when it comes to hardware, GNU/Linux and anything that's not clicking around GUI windows, and it's a tie between dad and me when it comes to Win9x to Win7 troubleshooting.
I'm pretty happy with that because my family aren't scumbags that take my skills for granted or complain when they break things I fixed. They just call me again for help, and they compensate me appropriately.

>dad
Had been working as a sys admin for years. Knows more than me. Introduced me to linux.
>mom
Had a mac book. Reads shitty online news websites all the time. Can't do shit
>sis
Did a cs course but is a web dev. Used a mac and still needs my dad's help every so often.

xps my man.

Sorry, ment wps.

acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/WPS
???

>Mom
Within reason, not an expert by any means, but knows what the average person does.

>Dad
Not so much, only uses them for Office esque stuff. He is trying to start a business so he is learning.

>Brother
Haven't seen him in some time, but was competent enough last time I have seen him.

wps.com/
office suite almost fully compatible with M$/Office, it is a chink software, but it is decent.

It's proprietary, it's only _almost_ fully compatible and doesn't even have the advantage of keeping the UI the same so mom can slowly adapt to the new software. I don't see why I shouldn't teach her to make new spreadsheets in LibreOffice and open old ones using MS Office through Wine.

I have a NEET brother that posts here and on slow moving boards, prob about as tech literate as me.

parents don't know shit about technology

>Mom
used to work in IT but got married and stopped caring abt computers. Has a Mac now
>Dad
Network admin, but he works for a consulting company and the isle that hire him normally have him do everything. Hates Macs.
>Sister #1
Know how to use a computer, knows how to avoid viruses but still asks abt dialog boxes
>Sister #2
Completely technologically illiterate ATM(trying to learn html for some reason). Once plugged the switch into itself cause, "the internet wasn't working"
>Sister #3
7 years old, She's homeschooled, so she's on the computer alot. Knows how to navigate and run programs. Knows to plug the Ethernet cable in when the wifi isn't working in my mom's laptop.

Oh yeah and my sisters are on win10, me and my dad are on Ubuntu.

Both my parents are software engineers. Mum works at IBM, dad works at a new startup.

>I "vyeryoo" (dunno what this word means), I know the city on this photo.

Millennial bro. Actually had to work will word and shit for his gcse. They did more when I was in school ffs

>Mom
Traumatized by programming course in the 80's. Has difficulty doing anything, but can at least recognize/avoid scams and viruses. I have her set up with a linux that boots straight into a full screen browser.
>Dad
Engineer. Really into computers during the 80's, especially for music. Tech advances have passed him by a bit. Doesn't like windows, but can figure most things out if he needs to.
>Sis 1
Took CS at uni, but changed majors because tired of neckbeard autists (I attended same uni and don't really blame her). Competent, never asks for my help. Does webdev and other stuff.
>Sis 2
Artist. Only asks for help as last resort and insists I teach her how to deal with things herself. Loves FOSS. Willing to try linux, but needs her expensive modeling software to work.

You have good imoutos, mine are mean to me.

>Do you have any siblings? How Tech literate or illiterate are they?
a half sister, haven't talked to her in a while and never really was around her growing up, I assume she's pretty average
>How about your parents?
dad didn't used to be but got out of technology as he's gotten older, mom could find her way around windows
not sure if my mom has a computer at home, my dad uses one of the shitty surfaces

They're pretty great, but they claim I was insufferable.

Sister is a photographer and knows creative software very well. She went back to school to finish a degree in Psychology though.

Mom is a nurse that works through EMRs exclusively. She got me into computers.

Dad is an engineer but a luddite. He thinks the government is watching everyone, and cites "programs" he works on for the government that are classified. He's probably right.

My grandparents are ignorant of technology, except for one of my grandpas. He's an OG Apple fanboy (reads the mac magazines, runs a "computer club" for his older friends). He like to play Wolfenstein and just started programming. He's 81. Dude is the best.

No siblings.

My mother is surprisingly competent for a 50+ year old woman.
She's always been a big adopted of technology, back in the 80s she was always in the computer lab learning more efficient ways to do things.
She's been an med office head admin ever since, and she generally only needs my help for more complex issues like decided what to buy, or how to do some advanced OS maintenance.
I'd say she was a huge influence in developing my interest in computers.
Proud of you, mom.

>mom
Is working in a university teaching compsci subjects. She says she has a ton of courses, but it at least included databases, linux courses and probably at least some programming.
She definitely knows how to program in C++, though likely doesn't do it much herself, I suspect she has a really decent grasp of networking stack (the one thing I suck at), currently has a big project with computer vision.
Has entirely too many notebooks, constantly goes everywhere with a tablet and a phone.
Runs Windows 10, seems to had a weak grasp on how Android works. Understand what Linux is, but probably needs the software on Windows for work, and is too lazy/lacking time to bother with it, or smartphone for that matter.
Doesn't play games besides Bejeweled and PvZ on trips/in free time. The second one I actually "taught" her.
>dad
Is working in the same university, was actually the one who taught me programming language basics, how desktops are build and much of the trivia I built my understanding on. Was good enough to put the password on BIOS when he decided I play video games too much in my school years, and scared me with seeing the logs on how much I play games.
Thinks Linux is better than Windows and tried Ubuntu once, but turned back to Windows. Mostly likely for the lack of time and belief that he is too old to learn any of the new stuff.
Sometimes asks me to fix something on his smartphone, quoting the same "You're young and I'm old" thing. I suspect laziness or poor eyesight.
>older brother
Went to major in compsci before me, switched to Opera when I was still using IE, played a lot of RTS before and seemed to know more about good games than I did, mostly plays DOTA2 nowadays though. Works as a general director in his own small IT firm.

Yeah, I'm honeslty more lame than all of them in that regard. I do know quite a bit of things they don't, but they also know a ton of things I don't.
In any case I grew up in a really IT-aware family.

>I believe, I know the place on this photo

Magic the post.

>Mom
Knows enough to get around. Refuses to touch anything other than Mac OS X on an apple machine.
>Dad
Knows more than enough to get around building the computer and a little bit of C#.
>Bro
Literally fuckall. He won't read manuals, code makes 0 sense to him, he can't distinguish the difference between x86 and x64, so he always asks which binary to grab. He can basically browse the internet, use Steam, and choose parts for a PC. I don't know if he even knows how they go together.

Yes
They are 4 yo but already pretty interested. They use mainly Linux and Android.
>How about your parents?
Mom is near 70 and does all the normie shit like internet, word processing, banking, some database stuff and is maintaining a typo3 based website.
Dad is barely interested in these kind of tech. I would say he is a generic user.
They are actually on win 7.

>Dangers of windows 10
>He doesn't realise that as far back as windows XP has been fucked with the exact same spying, they just made it public this time

>I don't want your family
>Who needs a dad

After a few months of coaching I got my mom to successfully use and manage a password manager.

My sister is a fucking retard though. She even fell for one of those tech support scams and didn't see anything remotely weird in paying them 200 dollars by filling in her checking account and tracking number into some random website.

She had to shut down her checking account and transfer all of her funds into a new one. My mom told me she was even arguing with her over the phone, trying to tell my mom that she wasn't actually scammed, that it was a legit service, and she didn't know why she was freaking out so badly.

God, it took me close to a decade to finally get through to my parents that the Windows update dialog wasn't going to "hack" their computer or some bullshit.

And yes, they actually could recognize if it was a fake IE window popup that was meant to look like the update dialog. They knew to watch out for it, but they still flipped out and needed my confirmation that the legit update window was legit. They finally know now, but it took fucking years for it to happen.

mum: highly illiterate, uses windows 8 on her shitty laptop. can use a web browser and office software but i have to show her how to use anything else and fix any problems that arise.

sister: can't manage anything more complex than an ithing

dad: not totally illiterate but not exactly a power user either but is actually willing to learn, he uses mint on his laptop which i set up for him and can manage that just fine but depends on me to fix any problems or show him how to use anything new.

>mother
Has fuckhuge core2quad Dell laptop, shockingly literate on occasion but mostly illiterate otherwise, does most of her computing on her phone.

>sister
Has some Acer laptop she bought for the dedicated graphics card it has, following my exact footsteps almost startlingly closely basically at my level of tech knowledge when I was her age, progressing steadily.

I have no cool bro dad to do tech shit with and look up to. No dad in general in fact.

I taught my brother html in high school

He used connections he found through his wife to join an app startup.

Now he works in silicon valley as a "project manager" doing nothing but spew corporate bullshit for 300k a year.

I'm jelly.

>dad
only uses smartphone for Facebook
>mom
only uses smartphone for Facebook, YouTube and gmail
uses desktop/laptop to order her stuff
>sister
actually types with fingers over homerow keys
>brother 1
new a crap ton about technology since coming into usa
taught us hella
>brother 2
reddit user, gamer
taught me hella
>me
linus shill, league of legends, basically school IT guy using the knowledge i got
>brother 3
will literally root any android to play pokemon go

What is it with older generation and flight simulators

Post pictures of your mom and sister together

>tattoos
INTO THE TRASH

Is your little sister cute?

two older sisters.

they get by. as well as normalfags do, at least. worst I can expect from them is to find malware on their machines. no outrageously stupid stories to share.

father is the worst. pretty dysfunctional with PCs so he uses iShit to compensate. although he could easily understand computers very well. he's just one of those old people who refuse to even try to learn.

my mother is, surprisingly, the best at this. she genuinely tries to be independent with this shit. listens as best as she can when I try to tell her stuff. I'd even put her above most Cred Forums fags.

100% this

Do you sisters ever make out at the dinner table?

3 4

Everybody uses KolibriOS,

Double check her arm and you will see something more disturbing.

My siblings are fairly literate. They know how to do software shit but not hardware.
I know an 80-year-old woman who's more tech savvy than my parents.

mom: knows nothing. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dad: i taught him so many things long ago. can do some basic things in computer. used to own a fucking dell ass. recently changed into lenono shit. only uses to keep some word and ppt files for his lectures. internet means for him to read the news papers...... LEGEND

bro: knows basic things. uses a laptop to see fb and google. and for entertainment.

me: lol. what u think im doing in Cred Forums then?

>>Do you have any siblings?
Yes, a sister who knows like basic stuff, if she has problems calls me or my dad. Right now has some Dell Inspiron from 2008 with windows 7
>>How about your parents?
My father has studied computer science and some robotics/automation so he doesn't have any trouble, he uses WinXP ok his daily driver and win8.1 on his laptop

My mother has a degree in IT so she knows the average stuff in computers and programming, she uses win10 on her compaq laptop bc it just werks.

Older brother studied CS. Ever since he got a job he doesn't really seem to be interested in the whole thing. All he does is code boring java shit, beyond that he doesn't seem to be overly interested in technology any longer.

Both my father and my little brother work as software developers. I'm the tech illiterate in my family :(

You should euthanize your little brother, user.

>Mom
Xubuntu, Ive set it up for her so she can do everything she does withouth having any issues.

>Dad
Windows 7, he keeps getting "viruses" and goes to a "computer repair shop" where they keep reinstalling pirated copy of windows almost every year.

>Sister
MacOS, laptop came with it she asked that as a birthday present because all her friends were using it.

One of the tattoos is a razor blade
There are marks on her arm that lead me to believe that she cuts
So dark, edgy and mysterious

>Mom
She uses the computer for basic things, mostly. On the other side, she knows well how to operate PhotoShop. She's using Botnet 10.

>Dad
Somewhat literate. He knows how to setup an Asterisk server, knows bash and a bit of Python. On the other side, he needs help on deciding what parts to pick. Uses Debian.

>Brother
Barely literate. He knows a bit of bash and C++. Uses W7.

yes a younger brother and a half-brother
My younger brother is pretty much grandma-tier, my half-brother is on the same level as an average gentooman.
>How about your parents?
tech illiterate to the max
>What pc/OS are they using?
my younger brother has an aspire v7 w/ windows10 on it, my older brother has an imac, my mother has some crappy laptop with ubuntu, my father also has a laptop of some sort w/ windows.

My sister once managed to virus (had to reinstall the OS) a computer two (or was it three?) times in one month.
Pretty illiterate. She can do simple stuff like browsing internet and doing image editing/office work, but nothing more.

My brother is really awesome and knows how to do stuff like registry and even programming (but ew, Fortran). He's the one who sparked my interest in computers and technology.

My dad is pretty literate too, although most of his knowledge is outdated and he refuses to accept that times DO change.

>My moms husband

You're his girlfriend's mom. You're a living meme.

If it is not edgy piercings, it is edgy tattoos.

>Cutter with tattoos and look-at-me piercing.

EUTHANIZE ASAP!!

>will literally root any android device to play pokemon go

My sister knows she NEEDS the newest iPhone

My dad becomes a fucking hopeless juvenile imbecile whenever he's near a computer.

This is not an exaggeration. Before he retired he used to type up huge reports for hours on end. He can't touch-type. He types with one finger.

>He can't touch-type. He types with one finger.
I'll bet he's as fast as you are when you take all your back-spacing and corrections into account.
My son is lightning fast on the keyboard but he spends half his time on the backspace button.

>I don't know how electrics works, but I'm going to tell everybody that I'm better than them anyways!

idk man, arguably is was microsoft combat flight simulator 2, so it's not just flying around, there's also a campaign and dogfighting, and configurable realism (though even it's least realistic setting is still not really arcade-style)

it's a pretty fun game, i played it a bit as well

What the fuck are you talking about. There are actual typing tests that measure your speed and accuracy, you know. Nobody is getting 110WPM doing hunt and peck.

Not the same poster, but i reach 85-90 wpm and i hunt &peck. Born in the 90's and using comps my whole life - never learned to type without looking at the keyboard.

>i dont know how heat and static electricity works the post

>Mom
Competent in her day to day work tasks. Can manage to find her way around spreadsheets and Facebook, but clicks ads and installs viruses all the time.
Has a shit tier Toshiba laptop

>Dad
Very capable, but likes to keep it simple I guess. Watches TED talks and does work shit mostly.
Has a MacBook air

>Imouto #1
Knows basics of torrenting and shit, mostly just uses her computer for school work, online shopping, and pirating movies.
Has another shitty laptop

>Imouto #2
Plays games, watches anime, watches streams, etc. She's the youngest and a good bit younger than me, but we are the only two with remotely similar interests. She knows the basics of how her desktop is put together and what the different parts do.
Uses a semi-shit prebuilt desktop with pirated w10

>Me
Typical Cred Forums fag. Custom desktop, the works. I consider myself pretty literate, but I know a lot of you are smarter than me.
Use a Precision m4600, poweredge 1950v3, and a desktop w/ FX 6350, 16gb ram, r9 fury

/Blog

>Mum
only knows how to use XP, terrified of updating or using anything new

>Dad
Knows a lot more than he says he does, still asks for help for the simplest shit, uses XP

>Sister
Uses Windows 8, hates it, knows how to use office and social media, wishes she was using OSX because she believes its superior
doesn't know what programming is.

>Younger Brother #1
Owns a $1000 Trashtop running win10, claims he uses it for school but he's honestly a moron ,only uses it for liking tweets and streaming music videos, thinks the router is the internet

Younger Brother #2
Owns a decent gaming desktop running win10
doesn't know how to install/remove programs
can't recognize malware
desktop is littered with a hundred shortcuts

>me
full time linux user
Cs degree

tfw every single one of them think they are better with computers than me

My parents and grandpa are all more tech literate than I am. My grandpa uses Windows, my dad uses Linux and I grew up using it, and my mom has always used Mac, which I also grew up using but mostly for educational stuff.

I have 4 siblings, all of which are completely retarded when it comes to tech. They usually come to me or my dad (mostly me) for fixes to their tech problems. I was the only one ever interested in computers so my dad taught me a lot and prefers I help my siblings so I can learn something if I don't know the solution.

When I was starting off learning how to program I told him I was learning C and he was able to help a lot since he learned it back when he was in college and wrote programs for some schools to help kids learn.

I'm impressed by my parents, they're both engineers and very intelligent. Me and my siblings not so much, minus my little brother, who's probably smarter than I am.

>mom
Not very tech literate, forgets passwords and falls for fake emails a lot. Windows 10 since it shipped with her computer and likes the squares.
>Dad
Low level programmer, works programming assembly lines, really good with CLIs, just wants shit to work at home though. Uses win7 and back.
>Sisters
Facebook and email types, windows
>Brothers
Use macs, know how one is good with internet since he works for a cable company, the other is good with phones.
>Little sister
Is 12, makes android apps with some friends or sth in an after school club.

One is a network+ admin
>How about your parents?
dad knows fortran & some shit
x220's several that i saw, imacs & ipad. redhat i guess, esxi with some obscure distros. also win 10 & macosx

Ayy
They're Facebook and Instagram masters
>How about your parents?
They're both Excel Gurus and capable of home banking and using skype to talk with family, my mom also handles herself quite well on word

Mother: Literate, sometime asks for help when there is pop-ups and when things don't work, but is competent at using her computer at work. Uses windows 7.

Father: Very Literate, Has been using the internet since the 90s and has been filesharing and torrenting for a long time. Never asks for help but only uses the computer for basic internet things now like Facebook and YouTube. Uses Windows 10.

Sister: Literate, knows how to use her computer, but she doesn't use it often and asks for help with some things which I wouldn't expect her to understand.

>Parents
Technology illiterate, they only use their phone to browse the web, using im or making phone calls.
Somehow managed to teach my mom how to type Chinese and Japanese.
Most of the time don't need my assistant.
They lived even when I never give them password for Google accounts.

And what the actual fuck why can't I have a cute sister like other.....

>mom near 70
>siblings 4 years old

Did your mum never menopause?

Top fucking kek.

Oh... didn't read siblings... my kids are 4 yo. Should read post before reply.

Dad used computers a lot during the 90s but somehow today can't do some basic stuff. Mom is average literate.

Brother uses gentoo

Bump

>Mom
Worked as a programmer for a couple years. Knows some shit because she finished EE and is really smart and could figure anything out if she didn't absolutely hate technology. Uses a shitty 2010 Sony VAIO and won't buy anything new because we're poor

>Dad
Really good at Photoshop and printers because he is a photographer. Absolutely shit at everything else. Types with only index fingers. I should take a picture of his android homescreen and show you how funny it is. Uses a 2006 toshiba satellite with vista as a laptop. Has a decent editing rig at his studio. I showed him GIMP and he doesn't think its that bad.

>grandma
Watches conspiracy shit on youtube as well as shitty soap operas. Can also use Skype. Has some shitty android tablet with a keyboard.

>15 year old brother
Normal teen level literacy. Used to browse Cred Forums before and after star wars 7 came out with clover. I believe he was somewhat effective at shit posting and we together fostered a semi popular star wars meme called kanjiklub. Uses the windows desktop I left at home and a moto g. Made an custom html homepage. Is taking high school level CS this year. They are probs learning Java.

>12 year old brother
Higher tech literacy than most his age. Made a custom HTML homepage. Dabbled in a bit of entry level python. Has an iPod touch to contact his normie friends in iMessage. Became an autistic CSGO kiddie during 2016. Somehow fried the motherboard on the computer at home. Wants to replace it and fix the computer on his own but I don't trust him yet.

Whole family knows what Linux is because I use it. Nobody uses the Ubuntu I installed on the home desktop.

>mum
ran away

>dad
we play vidya together on a saturday

>Mom
Has never ever touched a computer in her whole life.

>Dad
Has used it a few times but knows jack shit

>Sister
I have to plug in a console for her into the elctricity socket! Gets me to plug in an HDMI. Owns a Macbook Air.

google translate for fag