Winxp

is there a secure version of windows xp?
i want to be comfy, but i also want to be safe.

no

aw

I am running this Microsoft Windows® XP Professional SP3 VL ENG + within a VirtualBox. There is an easy trick to get updates which you can google for as there are millions of XP POS terminals still working so MS is infact still updating XP.

Yes

>Install xp
>Disconnect Ethernet

Safe.

POSReady 2009 receives updates for another three years.

should i just get it from tpb? or is there a better source

microsoft.com

oh shit is it actually free?

No, they provide full ISO with a product key that makes it an evaluation version. Just download that ISO and google "posready 2009 key"

thank you

There are definitely a lot of nice Windows XP themes for Linux.

Or just grab an Ubuntu flavor and enjoy.

sudo apt-get install wine

The "windows xp is not safe because it has no updates" is just a meme, no reason to fix what is not broken and there is no reason search for new exploits for xp when most of the people migrated to newer versions.
Go look for any recent exploit, you will find more exploits for windows 7 than xp.

I'm calling BS. Link an example of a nice XP theme for Linux. Even XPQ4 doesn't look all that great.

No software restriction policies though as opposed to 7. Moreover, ATM machines are a completely different use case so its not safe relying on POSreAdys updates.

>play pinball all day

Please don't reproduce.

It's like you're supposing that there are some unknown vulnerabilities in windows xp while you have no proof at all.
In 14 years of support windows xp has 727 cve while windows 7 has 596 in only 7 years, no software restriction policies will save you if the OS is a exploits ridden shit.
You are fucking retarded, go back to redit.

just install vista and disable new themes and start menu, will be exactly the same

Do this.

Not OP but is it better though?

It's still updated or something
also 99% of windows 7 supporting programs support Vista

Vista comes with UAC and is far more secure than XP ever was. It's still getting security updates till this April.

Different user, nobody knew about the bash exploit for 20 years till it was found. Just because it hasn't been found yet, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Nice meme

>I have no argument or rebuttal, so I'll just call it a meme.

>Vista over 7

It is not a problem if the exploit is not public because the chances of you being targeted is very low and there is a very low chance of a new exploit being found because most of the people migrated.

Yes, it's called Gentoo.

What's the issue? Windows 7's essentially a slightly modified worse looking Vista.