A socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear

: ^)

Until that one year where nobody buys into the next gen socket Jew and the skypes are left yelling "OY GEVAULT". As their revenue plummets.

>last socket change was like 5 years ago

>foxconn
>instructions for absolute morons
>stupid squares inside of hole
>retard proof cpu install

When did pc building become so casual?

Not for intel.

>have to buy new mobo for cpu that has 5% better performance
thanks Intel

That socket looks cheap as fuck. Totally unprofessional.

It's AMD, cheap is all they have going for them.

If you are more hardcore, change all the socket types in your house, to IEC309. Remember get the 3-phase red types instead of the blue 240v or 120v yellow kinds.

>Buying a new cpu every year for 5% gains

tfw i have to choose between AMD's AM4 for long term socket compatibility or Intel's dead-end LGA 1151 for my next build.

Why are faggots always whining about socket changes?
New platforms bring the biggest changes these days, like native support for PCIe storage booting, USB 3.1 and DDR4.
Platform aside, Skylake performs almost the same as Broadwell or Haswell.

>being poor

Intel doesn't need to use new sockets every year, but it makes people have to buy new motherboards for a CPU upgrade which gives them more money in the bank.

Will it have USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 support?

LGA is superior to PGA

Intel switched to LGA 10 years ago, AMD still can't master LGA

>LGA is superior to PGA

How?

but don't you want to play Console Port 5? how are you going to play it without the best hardware on the market? only one month of rent, goy. don't be cheap.

Shockingly enough my 4770k is over 3 years old and is still within 5% of the latest gen counterpart in most benchmarks.

So the new ones are like 15% more energy efficient. Woopty doo. The only upside is that maybe they will get efficient enough to replace the mobile versions. I think maybe they already have done that.

there's absolutely zero reason for it to be any fancier than that

intel only needs that swivel cap shit because of LGA

Better pin contact, higher pin density.
It's also less easy to drop a motherboard in a way that fucks the pins than it is to do the same to a CPU if you happen to be a gorilla.

because it's literally two fucking pins being added/removed or tossed around

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>using CPUs from this decade

I'm still using a gen 1 i5.

Overclocked it with a decent cooler and It can handle everything just fine.

Why are we giving chips to gorillas? What is this, Planet of the Apes?

>buying things
>not making your own x86-64 compliant processor
>ever

If that's what op meant maybe he should have used an intel socket for his op image.

Reminder Intel and AMD used the same sockets

>Better pin contact,
PGA has better contact, wtf are you talking about?

>higher pin density.
That's actually a bad thing.

What?

>high pin density is bad
is that why Intel can fit >20 cores on a single chip with enough PCI lanes for like 3 x16 configurations? more contacts means you can have more information and better power delivery go between the cpu and other peripherals.

this
1366 is the shit
the only thing I changed about it since 2010 is using two of them

ages ago Intel and AMD had "the same socket" (Slot 1/Slot A) with the identical physical layout but were electrically incompatable. Other than that I cant recall when else they had the "same slot"

Probably never. There was only one AMD motherboard with Thunderbolt 2. USB-C is already confirmed though.

This triggers the shit out of me
It really goes to show that the way AMD have constructed is the way to go.
Fucking waste of money

this

amd doesn't swap out its sockets like a $5 indonesian whore like intel does.

I believe they shared a socket up to "socket 7". I think the first pentium was the one that changed that. Up until the pentium AMD was just another company that licensed Intel's designs so their CPUs were electrically identical but varied in things like caches and clockspeeds

Sorry it was Pentium Pro that started the manufacturer specific sockets

>xeons without triple or quad channel
>20gb, not 16 and not 24

Rrrrrteeeeeeeer

Only Skypes buy new sockets.

They shared up to docket 939 also known as am1 iirc which was the original Athlon dual cores with ddr1 memory. Physically the same anyways.

But they are 7 years out of date till zen comes around to balance things.

Anyone with 1151 will still be fine for another 7 years unless something magical happens to standards and cpu manufacturing

It's actually triple channel, Speccy is wrong about that. It's Asus' weird method of getting triple channel out of most of the RAM, then single channel out of the last few GiB.

Honestly it's only 20 GiB because I have nowhere else to put the two 2 GiB sticks.

That swivel cap shit is awesome. I'm never buying a PGA processor again. Fuck installing CPUs in that flimsy piece of shit socket.

meh, I actually prefer the tiny metal arm. just clicks into place.

the LGA cap has you put on so much pressure I always feel like I'm damaging the fucking thing.

But I am using my i7 2600k for years

yeah and you're going to pay ridiculous prices for a new mobo if your current one dies

Yeah and you are going to buy a new house if your current one burns down.

>Implying AMD is even remotely capable of producing a new socket once a year

Eh, I usually just do a new build when I do a new CPU every 5-6 years.

>LGA vs PGA
Why the fuck would anyone give a shit about that?
You literally put the CPU into it's socket and never touch it again (unless disaster strikes).

I dont really se anyones point in the whole thing.

Unless you drop something in the socket its pretty hard to bend the pins in an LGA socket. I mean come on, the CPU only fits int he socket one way.

PGA if anything would be easier to bend as you actually have to somewhat try to line it up. BUt even with that its fairly fool proof, it only fits one fucking way.

You're more likely to damage a PGA processor on insertion or dismount. It's close to impossible to damage LGA processor unless you try to force it in some weird orientation it's not designed for.

only board manufactures care

lga they foot the RMA cost
pga they dont

>RMA cost

Being too dumb to install your CPU does not get you a free replacement.

PGA is easy to repair after a fuckup as the pins are easily bent back into position if they're still attached, or if they break off its possible to drop the pin into the proper hole in the socket and still have it work so long as it makes contact.

LGA, if one of the pins in the socket snaps off or is otherwise out of position you're fucked if its anything other than a power ground pin. It comes from the factory like that because some fuckwit in QC wasnt paying attention? Guess what, you're fucked.

>tfw the CPU I bought 3 years ago still hasnt bottlenecked me on my gtx1070
Feels good man. i7 not a shit.

That's kind of irrelevant since you won't fuck up LGA... Unless you really try very very hard to do it.

You probably won't fuck up PGA either, but it's possible to pull a pin from the CPU on dismount which is really bad and almost impossible if not impossible to repair.

I'm a super sloppy computer builder and I've never done any damage whatsoever to either PGA or LGA type sockets. PGA is just flimsy as fuck and worse to work with. So I'm never going to back to it.

Actually it does in the entire western world.

>all this PGA vs LGA talk

Got me thinking, what if apple had just replaced the audio jack with a male variant for waterproofing and 'innovation'? It would be just as retarded and special snowflake, requiruing adapters.

[citation needed]

A pop out male port would be neat.
How is it any worse than breaking off a male 3.5mm inside the jack? You can replace a male 3.5mm jack very easily.
That is if course assuming you would bother to fix it instead of throwing away the 'broken' device that still has most of its functionality.