Routers

Sup Cred Forums,

What router do you use, and why?

Impulse bought this because reviews and figured everywhere as a top router for my needs and I'm really fucking tired of getting endless lag spikes from my old router, dated at LEAST 7 years old.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

you bought a $600 router
congrats

Build your own. It may look incredibly complex, but it isn't and there are tons of guides on the internet on how to do it. Consumer routers are terribly overpriced and most of the time aren't very secure.

ars technica has guides for building a linux router however i have to wonder about the power consumption of a fucking pc versus a specialty made piece of hardware (a router)

You can tell the CPU to reduce power consumption in order to conserve energy. A PC made for routing packets shouldn't take up any more than 300 wattage. If you're too concerned with power then build it with low power options like an intel celeron. It's better for the long run and you have more control over your hardware.

>Asus
>WRT based Loonix firmware that's quite reliable
>Non-modem models can run Merlin's mod, DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT

Not quite as cheap os TP-Link shit but worth is for the reliability and options.

A full desktop PC is gonna use far more energy then a low power ARM boards used in routers, plus you probably need to run a switch anyway for enough ports.

I'm interested in this thread.

I'm looking for some cheap(which obviously includes low power usage) router, that can do like 100mbps openvpn connections.

>Asus
>Can run OpenWRT
Except the one you pictured and the N66U.

There are no good wireless solutions with this.
And id need like 3 dualport NICS.

Get a 35buck xiaomi

There are a lot of NICs with Linux and BSD support, it's not impossible.

Xiaomi has been proven to run analytic scripts on all of their phones.

>A full desktop PC

Nobody's telling you to build a full desktop PC. Just build a mini PC or an ITX case and use it as a router with a 300w fanless power supply. It really isn't that hard, it's just like putting together a PC. If you can build a pc then you can build a router easily.

I fell for this meme as well, user. Couple rt-n16s I've had since they first came out. Ran dd-wrt but run tomato now. Very very comfy.

>Cred Forums
>not building your own PF sense router.

Why are you here user?

That shit looks like the sith holocrons from kotor 2

Ya every company has some 'gaming router' meme going right now where they have a model that looks either apple-inspired muh minimalist aesthetics or $30 Newegg gamer computer case inspired sharp edges and FEATURES everywhere.

why the fuck does it look like a stealth bomber? if that thing doesn't have flight capabilities, you got ripped off

See

Neat. Another overpriced consumer grade router. Return it. Buy a 1U from craigslist, install PFSense, set $200 on fire and you'll still have money left over.

Or just, you know, kill yourself.

Got this on sale 5-6 months ago
Currently using stock firmware
Used to use DD-WRT on my last router, but I used jack shit in terms of its features so this time around I'm not fiddling with anything.

how does one learn dd-wrt or openwrt?

There is not much to learn actually, just the usual router shit.
Use OpenWRT, it is much better than DD-WRT for many reasons (better community, better updates etc).

What do you guys think about Edgerouter X? it's got rave reviews yet people only talk about Asus and tp-link...I know you need separate AP but combining both(Edgerouter + AP) would still be almost same price as some of other all in one "routers"...

Disclaimer: I don't own it.. just curious about it

C20i Archer

>that has to be the most gaudy design I've seen in my life
>"its not gaudy, its gamer gear, bro"

You could've got a second hand cisco router, and a couple decent acccess points, for a fraction of that thing.

Are gamers some of the most gullible people on the planet?

I have a RT-N66U
I think it's pretty good.

I just had money to spend and every Google search listed this one as the best

I woudlve gotten the Linksys AC1900 but it was too expensive on Amazon at 400$ pre taxes and same ish for Newegg. I got that one in my op post because prime shipping and looked ok

design a shit tho

It's pretty dang good. First router I get that doesn't shit the bed.

>What router do you use

DIR-605L

>and why?

It was like $35

inb4 lel no gigabit. Don't need it.

TP-Link Archer AC2600
I'm too paranoid to use routers made by US based companies.

Nigger please if your router doesn't look like an interplanetary attack craft then you AIN'T SHIT

does it work for gaming?
I'm getting high packet loss with an Linksys EA2700

You game with wifi? That's disgusting.

peace through power

I'm still using my Linksys WRT54G from the early 2000s. my network at times crashes when I stream movies to my TV, guess it's time for an upgrade right senpai?

dunt get a surfboard. I haev a sufbroad and it makes me crie everytim

Archer C7 v2.0 running OpenWRT 15.05.1

....just kidding.

pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm