/browser/ general

alright Cred Forumsuys, let's discuss browsers. I'm in need of a good internet browser but I am clueless as to which one I should pick. Flaws with the most obvious choices:
Chrome/Chromium:
>is a botnet and a keylogger
>made by Google (if that by itself doesn't deter you...)
>humongous RAM load (my 8gigs are constantly full and my PC is very slow due to that)
Firefox:
>slow
>made by SJWs (who'll try to push their agenda sooner or later)
Opera:
>closed-source chromium fork
>Chinese spyware
Vivaldi:
>closed-source chromium fork

Is PaleMeme worth a try? Does it support all my beloved FF add-ons?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's a dozen other threads on this exact topic but it looks like extreme 3rd party browsers are the way to go.

PaleMeme is a thing but I think most of the issues with firefox are found in about:config.

Chromium is still botnetty but there's a thread on github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium which is scrubbed harder.

qutebrowser is like the most amazing of the microbrowsers now with extremely fast hardware acceleration that's making python seem stupid fast.

>SJWs (who'll try to push their agenda sooner or later)
Or never.

It doesn't matter if the SJWs are onboard, they're a for-profit corporation (with a not for profit parent) and they're selling everything out as fast as they can.

why not irdium?

i stay on firefox because muh add-ons, chromium based browsers add-ons are shit.

Dirty spic.

>>humongous RAM load (my 8gigs are constantly full and my PC is very slow due to that)

But all of them use monstrous ammounts of RAM

Chromium can be ungoogled.

Firefox is only slow on Windows, pale moon is a windows optimised fork of Firefox.

Opera and vivaldi are actually much better than chrome, but if spyware concerns you then just avoid closed source all together and stop using Windows.

Firefox is dick on OS X for me too.

Firefox also tends to come pre-googled and the disk writes are real. It's a global problem which is actually a fairly simple fix....

MY fix on the other hand was to set up an overlayed filesystem into a ramdisk so my profile would load up into a ramdisk where all writes would be virtual and it was lightning fucking fast.

I like qutebrowser as a backup. The best thing about it is making url hints spawn mpv and creating shortcuts to websites.

I see it as an ongoing process however and it's not quite finished yet. Firefox isn't that much slower and has greater extensibility.

>Opera and vivaldi are actually much better than chrome
>can't slide tab to other monitor to open as new window
>can't save all opened sites in bookmarks with one click

Yeah, I've tried all the little no name microbrowsers at some point or another, surf/uzbl/xombrero/uhhhh much others. I always find something lacking, even if I really like how qute works for the vim and adblock bits.

They have a place and replacing a big browser isn't it.... but on some small livedisk or mini-machine or something it's amazing especially since in a lot of cases it runs better. Python and Qt and a video driver is a lot better than compiling firefox/chrom* for ANY system. Anywhere.

You should really using ff or a ff fork.
Nightly > Developer (both of these are fine though)
Use pale moon if it's a really shitty computer.

If you insist on not using Firefox, then the only worthwhile option is chromium.

Icecat

Firefox isn't slow if you use Nightly.

Also it wasn't "made" by SJWs. SJWs didn't even exist back then as we know them today.

Not OP but thanks, never knew about that.

What makes Nightly superior?

>use palemoon if it's a really shitty computer
Can confirm. My latitude d630 running Lubuntu is rather slow with firefox. Palemoon runs wonderfully.

I have to use quite a lot of workarounds for things though. Discord is unoptimized so i use discord-linux for that. Some youtube videos don't play, so i open those with MPV.

It's just that Nightly has the best performance of all Firefox versions and also get features way earlier.

Best performance
Most options
Sounds cool
Bleeding edge
Best icon

Doesn't being bleeding edge make it unstable though?

Sometimes but not always. Since it generally updates every day and some hardcore autists report every bug there is crashes/bugs/glitches tend to get fixed very quickly.

That's what they say, but I've never had a single issue while using nightly.

If you are running a Windows operating system past Vista, your privacy is already compromise. Why not use Chrome then?

make fun of me if you must but you have to explain why.

g-guys? how do I disable this?

Stop using nightly.

jokes on you, enjoy your mozilla botnet

You can turn it off in the settings

>I'm in need of a good internet browser but I am clueless as to which one I should pick.

Load them. all try them all and don't waste threads on silly questions.

Botnets do not functionally matter. The internet is monitored. You are doing a good deed by providing background noise which makes monitoring systems work harder.

Who makes a thing doesn't matter. You aren't paying for it.

Software is not a commitment. If everyone working on Firefox died tomorrow it would not matter to me and there's no reason it should.

Are you this dumb?

Can someone prove to me how Opera is Spyware?

>Chropera

>>humongous RAM load (my 8gigs are constantly full and my PC is very slow due to that)
>i don't know how computers work but i like to pretend

Question: I've just installed uMatrix. Should I uninstall uBlock, or are they supposed to be used together?

Go into umatrix and enable all the lists.
Then go into ublock and enable all the lists there, except for the ones already enabled in umatrix.

Why are you using a testing version of the browser if you don't want to help Mozilla out with the crashes? Are you just voluntarily using an inferior version of the browser?

PC: FF nightly > FF developer > chromium
Android: Tugabrowser > lightning

I'm new to computers
other guys in the thread said that it was supposed to be faster, so it's not just generally an inferior version

it's ok when cuckzilla does it

Closed source and I think chinks make it now. Before it was closed source and made by Norwegians, and I think I trust those guys more than the Chinese.

>I'm new to computers
This is fine, but if you're coming here you need to learn quickly when someone is just bullshitting you, like this guy

Remember to say no to closed source browsers. And that includes Chromium, which is known to download shady closed source binary blobs when no ones looking.

Also remember that Mozilla = SJWs is a Google-sponsored astroturfing strategy.

nvm ran ccleaner and went from 3GB/12 tabs to under 100MB a tab (1.2GB rn). cache lives matter.

You should support ff and other less known browsers if only to prevent google from succeeding in monopolizing access to the internet which is it's end goal

could you imagine a world where your only choice is to be attached to the google botnet in one form or another

I'll keep an eye out, thanks bud

not him, shitshow a little while ago too, don't run commands that looks strange or you don't know what the fuck they do on 4ch. trust me.

>Chinese spyware
Guess what, if you use the memest of browsers, if you use anything related to Google, Bing and Yahoo, you're being spied on. Every site you visit, regardless of the browser, collects various data so they can target you with ads based on your interests.

You people need to stop with this bullshit, even TOR doesn't guarantee privacy. If you're browsing the web, you're being spied on.

He can support it, but firefox will be down to 2% marketshare in a year. It can't complete with Blink and they'll have to do what Opera did.

>fuck you mozilla you can't have my data
>oh microsoft take all the data you want senpai!

Seamonkey's even faster.

>pic related
Delete your life

What's the point in using firefox nightly on a linux distro that doesn't have it in its repos?

I assume it doesn't update itself like the windows version so you'd unironically have to download the new version every single day.

At least it looks like its portable I guess.

If you're downloading it from an unofficial repo then why not just go the full hog and get chrome while you're at it?

i was going to put the dragon logo again but i've been up too long and i'm getting off the fucking computer brb kms desu senpai. replaced with other shit image, forget to edit post..

inb4 cool story gn Cred Forums

Just use developer then.

Nice blog.
Don't come back.

nice thread to continue to hang out in after childishly shitting in it :^)

e10s has taken so fucking long to develop. Hasn't it been planned for like 5 years or some crazy shit?

And even with e10s Firefox isn't as fast as Chrome, unlike all the circlejerking fanboys like to claim.

I still use Firefox for its extensions but FUCK.

posted in another thread, but how easy would it be to compile Chromium for Windows 10 Mobile?

i want to play granblue fantasy...

now how do you do that bookmark trick?

right click any tab, bottom of menu.

Epic Privacy browser

Never in my life have I needed or used those features.

>chrome
>all this shit about botnet

So, why are you worried about this? Don't they just collect information based on your google account? Even if they collect info on your browser, how will that affect you in the long run?

I'm just waiting for all plugins to be e10s compatible.

>Vivaldi
oh fucking please.

>only on Windows
What's the point if Microsoft gets your data anyway?

there are no good browsers

brave

>w10 hate
epic!

I've been using qutebrowser full time for maybe a month now, with only two or three annoyances
>reCaptcha doesn't work, have to launch firefox to make a thread/etc.
>Can't rightclick>open-with or hint a non-hyperlinked link, have to copy/paste some youtube URLs into a terminal
>Custom CSS is still lacking, I only want to change it for one site but the only option is browser-wide
These are all just annoyances, though. The fact that I no longer feel like I'm developing carpal tunnel makes up for them in spades. The fact that I can browse most text websites while pulling 0% CPU is a huge thing for my shitty battery life, too, and is why I wanted to switch from firefox in the first place.

>tfw the last good browser died three years ago
>tfw the next best thing can't into vertical tabs
What dark times we live in.

On my iPhone 5 I use Ghostery. It's a privacy browser that lets you block cookies and trackers including google analytics. Very fast and you can save thumbnail photos on Cred Forums without opening in a seperate page.

This. I'm sticking with firefox because it has so many great extensions.
Opera is barren as fuck.

>Does it support all my beloved FF add-ons
It's revognized as 24 or what. Muhblock works grease muhnkey don't (there is a port but didn't werked).

So, uh... did anyone ever try Brave? Is it as shit as is to be expected?

I'm with palememe. It's fast and simpleton everythin' i want.

Waterfox

IT guy here. I am still shocked how good chrome runs on XP compared to the bloat that is for newer Windows editions. Literally the best browser for xp

It's not shit, but it's not ready for everyday usage yet. Maybe in several months.

>best browser for XP
That'd be Opera 12.18