Be me...

Be me. I want to buy an older computer from my childhood but most of them were handy downs from the late 80's and early 90's.

My question is this. What's something you recommend getting?

Other urls found in this thread:

playdosgamesonline.com/windows-31.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It really depends on what you want.

Well, if you want it to be from your childhood, then what computers did you have back then?

Sounds like you want to be a hipster but as far as which machines have held up well? C64 above all.

He doesn't know. In any case, the IBM were superior to the apples.

>the IBM were superior to the apples.
In software and hardware specs? No.

they werent, apples were better if you wiped their OS and put windows on them.

>He doesn't know.
How do you not know what computer you used in your childhood?

IS IT IBM COMPATIBLE?
IS IT IBM COMPATIBLE?
IS IT IBM COMPATIBLE?
IS IT IBM COMPATIBLE?

> i have no strong attachment to a brand or system from my childhood
> i cant even expand on what I used to do on my "handy" down machines
> I want to take a computer off the market that may have been useful to a collector or some poor bastard who's stuck maintaining 30 year old legacy systems

Ladies and gentoomen, your average hipster. Go download some emulators faggot.

THIS IS NOW A BAIT THREAD!

>windows on a 68** processor

It's 68k faggot, different models are called '020, etc

Ahh yes, that makes much more sense. You cannot run x86 applications on CISC architecture you dense cunt, period.

This.

Young people being into old hardware is great, but this is just hipsterdom, no shits given, average "old hardware is in, get myself some old hardware".

To be fair. I used both Apple II and mostly IBM machines with mostly early windows being the OS that i used.

If anything, I have more attachment to the OS as 3.1 was easier to use than the DOS system and the same could be said for Apples operating system which was harder for me at the time than windows.

can't into engrish?

x86 is cisc

It's just bait bro

Well shit, go fuck around with this for 10 minutes, let the sheer rage of how limited it is overtake your nostalgia, and move on.

..this, of course, being playdosgamesonline.com/windows-31.html

>. What's something you recommend getting?

idk, OP, something you _like_?

Basically you have some empty space you want to take up with some unless thing you need to dust. It will never be of any use and within two months you'll be ready to donate it to goodwill.
If you really want something like that, at least get this. You can run 10.4.11 then install iTunes and play music off it. That's about it. But it will look nice and not take up to much space. No fan either so you won't hear it being useless also.

amiga 1200

When you ask a girl, what she wants to do.

>goodwill
Yeah, Nah.

I'll keep it running until my death bed.

if you can find a machine that has..

> a functioning HDD (if applicable)
> electrolytic capacitors that do not need to be completely replaced after 20 years of slowly drying out
> EEPROMs that have not suffered bit rot
> a motherboard that has not been raped by a leaking CMOS battery

..then fucking ignore it and run an emulator instead, because one of the above will happen shortly, and unless you have the chops to get around it, you'll have an overpriced (because hipster tax) boat anchor. I don't buy shit unless I can get a visual on it nowdays anyway. Too risky.

You can also emulate a lot of these systems on like some microcontrollers or easily on a FPGA.

Man, I feel bad that you have so little experience with girls.

>electrolytic capacitors that do not need to be completely replaced after 20 years of slowly drying out
Uh, that's the first thing you replace before powering even on anything 20 years or older.

Stop giving people shitty tips.

when she stands in line and asks if the baguettes here are better than the non-x86 baguettes in the coffee shop down the road and starts taking pix of her cat she brought along

> a machine that has..
> electrolytic capacitors that do not need to be completely replaced

That is to imply, a machine that has recently been completely recapped. Learn some fucking English before you go trying to calling peoples knowledge out faggot.

I suppose if it was like cryogenically frozen the caps might survive too if they.... didn't explode from the freezing.

Where the fuck is your common sense, you IDIOT.

Oh shit, not amigafags again, gtfo you furshits.

Or if it was just powered on from time to time of the past 20 years, regularly.

Most electrolytics from the 80s were of good quality (90s-2000s is a different story). If they're not obviously bulging, you don't need to replace them.

>Be hipster. I want to buy an older computer from because that's the cool thing to do
>My question is this, I'm a total dumbass. What's something cool to get for ridiculous prices?

It's THIS thread again.

>If they're not obviously bulging, you don't need to replace them.
The electrolyte in an electrolytic cap is a moist paste. They dry out and lose capacitance. That's the main reason audio gear gets noisy as it gets older. Especially in tube/valve amps where the ambient temperature is much higher as are the voltages.

>It's THIS thread again.
If people have the money why should you care? It's not like your running a bank or interested in money..

Because that's plebbit tier shit that does not belong in Cred Forums :^)

Oh. Technology doesn't belong in Cred Forums

>butthurt hipster detected
do you have an old shitbox too? what do you do with it?

Hello newfriend.

Play old games and try and write programs, although my memory management skills are shit.

Depends on the computer. Apple II and IBM XT boards don't have any electrolytics except in the PSU. A lot of other stuff does.

You're obviously not the kind of person then that was talking about.

You're a retrofag yourself and defend hipsters killing old machines and ruining the prices on the market?

Don't waste your time and money in it. They're heavy and waste too much energy, and are slow. You'll throw your life time in the garbage using one of those.

Indeed, hobbies suck, waste time and money.

I on the other hand am better then that, I only work and do nothing fun.

>I only work and do nothing fun.
All work and no play makes.. go crazy.

No shit

for gaming

AFAIK it's mostly nonuse that dries out electrolytic capacitors.

Apple ][
Apple IIGS
Apple 68k mac
EVEN a power mac like the g3/g4
C64, PLUS/4
zx spectrum
amstrad cpc
atari 400/800/xl
atari st
amiga any
msx/msx2/msx2+

woah dude, chill, this is just a bait thread

>Be me
No thanks

Bulging has nothing to do with an electrolytic cap drying out. Its just the electrolyte drying out, pure and simple. By your "closed volume swells when its contents evaporate" logic, tins of old paint should be bulging and exploding all across the world. Swelling mainly occurs when an underspec capacitor is used, or if a capacitor gets hit with a massive transient, boiling away the electrolyte in one fast explosive action.

> AFAIK
Just apply some fucking logic moron. Use or not, a 1 cubic centimeter object that contains less than a milliliter of liquid is going to have a hard time retaining that liquid for 20+ years.

Just because you're a shitposting faggot with no idea what the fuck you're talking about does not mean we all are, fuck off back to .

You forgot 386 and Pet

Newer generations will never be able to find computers with the 386 chipset just the 386 chip.

It's hilarious really.

>386
Just use dosbox or PCem

There's no hipster cred associated with an intel machine :^)

>There's no hipster cred associated with an intel machine :^)
I'm not sure if your being ironic or just a jackass, let's put this to a vote.

You think the 386 or older are anything special?

You list Apple II's, Amiga's, etc, but not XT's? Even XT's are way more common than those. Not to mention 386.

I'm a different person to this guy

Same shit, you act like the old x86 shitboxes are rare.

And you shitpost about everything, are we not so different you and i?

> Even XT's are way more common than those. Not to mention 386.

Absolute lies. Z80 and 68000 shit is everywhere, there is fuck all early XT/286 or 386 to be had because a) CMOS batteries lose their shit and destroy the boards (based commodore, tandy and amiga using flywire mounted batteries) and b) every CAMfag with an internet connection and a warehouse full of 30 year old robots to support has already brought up all the usable hardware. You're more likely to find a 10Mb seagate than a usable 486 mainboard now days

> t. oldenbox restoratiofag

Why don't people just remove the batteries so they don't leak everywhere? :\

nobody thinks about the cmos battery until it dies and leaks acid everywhere

Acer 1100? Never heard of that, would like to hear more.

Looks familiar just doesn't have round bits that my case had.

I chant this to myself every night as I go to sleep. No one thought about it I guess, even my stock of early motherboards I left behind at my parents place in the early 90's was fucked when I came back for it in the mid 00's, and that was sealed bags with silica sacks in. Even when they did start to leak back in the day you could replace them before the acid spread to the PCB layers, beyond that point you're fucked.

Not much to it, bog standard 20MHz 386. I stole this from one of my old workplaces years ago, used it as a parts pig and have now dragged it back out to see if I can get it running. No POST because no RAM, but last time it was together it booted ok.

Where's a shitpost of mine?

Uhm, that's false.
Not only don't you know shit about the early x86 machines, but you just talk shit.

PC, XT, AT didn't have batteries, the latter ones like 286-486 had pic related.

Old computers are my hobby, but you claim you're a restorator fag? Hard to believe.

Not him but I have a huge collection of x86 hardware, XTs, 286's 386's, easy to find and cheap as fuck.
Where the fuck are you from? I have a hard time finding any 68k machines.

>being this delusional that your shitboxes are rare as fuck
you should come by a /retro/ thread sometime

>PC, XT* like AT 256*
Can't concentrate at work.

Great counterargument, now back outside and play sweet, adults are talking.

That is an RTC, which is completely different from a nicad battery designed to maintain the memory of a dedicated CMOS based BIOS chip during powered down stages. Sure the RTC (with it's built in battery) replaced the function of a discreet battery in newer machines, but once manufacturers started realising dead CMOS battery now equals a new RTC, they soon ditched them and went to 20xx button batteries like we have now.

> Old computers are my hobby,
And they were my career all they way through the late 80's, 90's and early noughties. Pic related is a 386 and 486 with the circles indicating where their batteries were. I literally have 8 more boards like them if you want to push the point, but as this is your hobby i'm guessing you simply haven't seen a wide enough variety of early hardware. They were far more common than you seem to think.

Where, and give pls. Fuck all out here in Australia. I'll swap you a bunch of LC series crapintosh hardware for a few 386 boards.

I lurk it like a motherfucker.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic things like the IBM Model F used for their casing?

I know what turns it yellow. It has bro in it.

Apple II Gs

>And they were my career all they way through the late 80's, 90's and early noughties.
What did you do?

Posting in this bait thread.

>That's about it.
man the majority of Cred Forums has real basic bitch use cases don't they? like does anyone here ever do fucking anything with their overpriced builds other than run a browser and a text editor?

I could totally put a cube to work for basic shitposting, email and remote access, doing some modeling in mathematica, emulation, UT'99 and other games, fucking with FM7 and some fractal generators and a whole other host of things you can find software for on the Macintosh Garden, they don't do any less of what they did when they were new

shit from the '90s in general is easy to find a job for if you're really interested in it, it's just a matter of how much you value convenience or smoothness

you only really have to worry about that kind of shit if you live in a humid climate or are dealing with mistreated hardware, old shit is generally pretty resilient with a few exceptions from shit QC like 68k macs

most of my shitbox stash going back to the '70s works just fine with no restoration needed, drives and all

Build a new machine in the old case and keep the cool keyboard.

as always nobody brings up age except the retrofag. This is why these threads are a waste of everyone's time, you pretend it's about old tech but it's really about ageism and in reality you are probably not more than 5 years apart. way to fall for the meme. I unironically wanted to talk to old hardware enthusiasts but it always ends up as "kids today" and not talking about the hardware at all

Only 2 racks? Casual!
Seriously, envy.
What are those things under the Xserve on the top shelf? PPC Xserves? Haven't actually seen any.

I can count the number of dead 386/486 era systems I've come across in my 100+ system collection on maybe both my hands if I stretch it, and only a couple of those from CMOS battery corrosion, that shit rarely happens with coin cells or even the shitty half AAs that were all the rage back then

They're not even that rare either, 386en and 486en were born into the era of consumer PCs, they made tens of fucking millions of them, far more than the demands of a few factories maintaining aging equipment that are more than likely ordering parts to fix what they have rather than going through the grueling task of re-imaging some old consumer shitbox not built for the job in the rare event of unrecoverable system failure.

>I unironically wanted to talk to old hardware enthusiasts but it always ends up as "kids today" and not talking about the hardware at all
then stop talking to those fags, there's plenty of us right here that could give a fuck and just enjoy technology we like and blogging about it like anyone else on the board

>most of them were handy downs
>handy downs

its HAND-ME DOWNS you fucktard jesus fuck you HAD ONE FUCKING JOB TO TO user!

It's just thick ABS. The coloration is independent of the plastic though because it's painted.

>TO TO

youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

(it's a video about your homeland)

inb4 misquote pasta

You're going to have a very hard time doing a lot of those things on PowerPC architecture. If I were you I'd go with open source programs on linux because compiling is the only way to get anything new to run on these.

The AT does indeed have a battery, I replaced mine with 3 AA's

see
lurk moar

Hello justin

Thanks