Are HP Elitebooks any good?

Alright the Thinkpad memes aside, are HP Elitebooks any good? And yes I know that HP overall are complete trash. I've used Thinkpads and Dell Latitudes in past, but I had Elitebook in my last office and I kinda liked it, didn't overheat like all my Dells have.

img related thinking of buying used HP Elitebook 2570p for 200$. Sounds like a really good deal for me.

>inb4 no

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dCj7KKqyOSo
ktgee.net/tpg
dankpads.com
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is HP trash? Better than Dell.

>are HP Elitebooks any good?
Yes.
Now kill yourself for making a new thread instead of asking in the right thread.

yes
youtube.com/watch?v=dCj7KKqyOSo

thank you guys
uhh, what thread? I'm a regular on Cred Forums and the only dominant generals we have are thinkpad generals and watch threads.

thanks guys, have a good day!

Didn't we have this thread yesterday as well?
If you are legit OP, then go look in the archive. There is a thread almost identical to this one.
If you are a dumbfuck shill then go fuck a landmine.

It's a pretty good machine.

HP Elitebooks are the fucking best. Use mine as a hackintosh and its comfy as fuuuuccckkkk... Thinkpads are for herd minded nerds.

Why is it on holiday

I like the photos of Stallman using his laptop all around the world.
But I just take photos of the laptop in various places.

Depending on what size you want, you can hunt around for a better deal. I got an 8470w for $250 including shipping. It has the Amd firepro m2000, an i7-3630qm, came with 8gb of ram and a 320gb hard drive. No OS bus the COA was intact. It did come with the power supply, but be prepared for it not to be included.

I got a pretty killer deal IMO. I'm an engineering student so I have to run Solidworks. I would not have been able to do better for that application at that price point.

The only downside is the battery life. 3 hours if I baby it, but that's enough for me. You will do better without discrete graphics.

2560/2570p have good battery life, but they aren't think or light for a 12.5" laptop.

Im sitting on one right now. Had it for 4 years. I've only had to replace the hard drive three times, the screen once, the mousepad (which I haven't done), and some of the ports (which i also haven't done).

Oh, and the right hinge is broken, the battery is understandably shit. To top it off, if you as much as fart in its general direction, the charger will fall out the charging port.

My advice: Dont get it if you're a student, that moves it between school and home alot. I had an Asus in 8th and 9th grade, and it was honestly the best laptop I ever had. It got through all the "abuse", which the HP didn't. I have an 8560P, which I'm retiring for a macbook now.

>inb4 crapple macbook is le trash le XD XD XD le le le

sry didn't go through before archive before, just looked it up.
I'll be looking, battery life and weight aren't a problem for me, looking for a work station

Just last one final bump, how's the temperature? Does it overheat a lot? Is it noisy? How's the keyboard?

I inherited a laptop that has HP ProtectSmart and want to change the hard drive, is it tough to do this? It's a DV5, I haven't even opened the hard drive slot yet because I read the ProtectSmart thing and got scared.

I prefer elitebooks over thinkpads and latitudes any day. I just wish they had the middle scroll button for the clit mouse

Keyboard is ok. Better than a latitude but worse than a thinkpad. The touchpad is the best of the three in my opinion. Not too noisy and it does ok in the thermal department. I've ran solidworks renders for 20min or so and it was alright. Not something id want on my lap but fine on a desk.

Also, I feel that it's a pretty durable machine. The other user's elitebook seems to have fallen apart, but use cases are different.

One nice thing about the elitebooks is the motherboard access. The bottom panel comes out without needing a screwdriver, so you can change the ram quickly.

I prefer elitebooks to thinkpads now because of the easy access to internals. Where I need to take out a dozen screws on a thinkpad the HP elitebook is either screwless or has 1 screw in place. Installing a new wifi chip, memory, or ssd is effortless. Parts are marginally harder to come by, but nothing worth complaining about.

Screen quality is mediocre but that is universal with business class laptops and the only exceptions are burn-in IPS screens and hilariously high res new age moron panels that suck battery life to nil.

Keyboard quality is roughly equivalent to a Latitude but worse than a thinkpad; however, trackpad quality is better and the trackpoint usability is between the dell (terrible) and the thinkpad (good).

Thermal performance is also better for most models than dell or thinkpad. I can go almost two years between repasting an elitebook with no fan issues where I must repaste a regularly used thinkpad or latitude every 9 months to a year.

Overall I suggest them to anyone who isn't specifically looking for the best keyboard/trackpoint as their first and only consideration. Admittedly those two things make the thinkpad extremely appealing but if you spend a lot of time with your laptop docked or if you can appreciate a more well rounded approach to laptop quality, the elitebook surpasses its competition easily.

Could you please comment on this?
If you've opened a HP, you must have come across this by now

>consumer grade
Why would I have come across such garbage? Throw it in the trash and spend $75 bucks on a used elitebook. It'll perform better than that shit.

Don't bother with the G3 series if you are planning on running Linux. It's fucking horrible.

NO FUCKING WAY

I'm on Linux though.

They're great. Any of the enterprise-class laptops are going to be good.

I have a work 2560p, it surprisingly good, altho the clit is a shit compared to my t410

I'm not very knowledgeable about it, but from what I gather you can't really go wrong with any business class laptops (save for newer ThinkPads iirc)

Tpg welcomes all business laptops, including elitebooks, albeit more people gloss over posts about other business laptops aside from ThinkPads.

what is he even doing on his computer in these pictures?

>that fat ass top bezel

Elitebook workstations usually do

The HDD protection just means that there's a gravity sensor that turns off the HDD if you drop it. This feature will simply get disabled if you use a HDD without it, then it will behave like any other normal laptop

i have an elitebook 8460p i picked up cheap, im pretty happy with it. my only complaint is the presence of a displayport instead of hdmi.

reposting from thinkpad bread

seriously considering ditching my x201 for a hp 8470p, anyone used any elitebooks with only two buttons before? i had a 3 button 17" one before, and it was great, but i had to ditch it for something less expensive to repair. i want to know if the two button ones can still vertically scroll just as easily by holding both buttons down to simulate a mousewheel click, like some laptops do.

also, anyone know if 14" 1600*900 will feel more or less cramped than 12" 1280*800 in terms of vertical screen real estate? the amount of lines i can put on a screen without squinting is kind of a big deal to me.

ayy senpai, any chance you could give me your thoughts on the above?

HP can make good hardware, but if something ever goes wrong, plan on binning it. Not that it can't be repaired, just that HPs service is horrible. They fail to fix things for business customers who sirens millions with them. You're less than nothing to them as a customer, so when you call, they're is essentially no service.

Why would you get something inherently inferior to a Thinkpad? You can get a T420 for $150 and it will have enough oomph for literally anything but gaming.

Just buy a Thinkpad and let all the suckers buy shit like dells and elitebooks. Have you ever tried typing with one? Feels like garbage like every cheapo Asus or Acer.

senpai, ive typed on all three, and youre full of shit. the dells arent great, but theyre workable, but imo aside from the lack of curved edges the elitebooks are great to type on, more or less on par with t410 and earlier thinkpad designs.

I always thought HP Elitebooks, Dell Latitudes with Lenovo Thinkpads on the top was the Holy Trinity of Cred Forums approved mobile workstations.

Macbooks for Applebabies.

And Sager Clevo as a consumer-tier or gaymen laptop without any retarded branding or red LEDs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Lenovo can't be trusted. Their firmware has been confirmed for installing binaries into windows every boot in the past. There's nothing to stop them from similar fuckery on Linux or any other OS. Hell, EFI makes it easier for them. Only way I'd use a Lenovo is if i could flash the firmware with a known clean copy, not from them.

libreboot

No it doesn't.

It's thinkpad general tpg, not business class laptops bcl.

Fucking idiot

Reasons to buy new Business Laptops:
1. The fucking warranty
2. Modifiability within the scope of the warranty
3. Durability despite the warranty
4. Actual features

Basically if you're buying a new business laptop, you're buying it for the warranty, and maybe the features if you're an especially needy cunt.

>I'll be looking, battery life and weight aren't a problem for me, looking for a work station

What's wrong with a vastly superior desktop? I don't get the "laptop workstation" trend when to make even the best laptop not suck it needs all the external peripherals of a desktop workstation.

They're good, but in my experience with them (mostly the big workstation replacements, 87XX series elitebook) they run hot like hell.

It's typical for people to not READ THE OP

you mean coreboot, libreboot is finished

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.

Lol

Fuck off you troll.
I'll take the b8.
Here is the latest /tpg/ with OP unmodified.
Read it.

Previous thread: →

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

>thinkpad general
Not
>business class laptop
Or
>professional notebook general

U so silly

I got a 8460p

where do I get a good new battery? Mine is about 2hours of life on 7 :c

Sure the name doesn't reflect the content. A lot of things do that, it's 2016 ffs.
I'm still right though, and you can't even argue.

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Forgot to say:

I have a i7 2620m, should I downgrade for better battery life...? I'm going to pick up a aftermarket 4400mah iCAN battery (canada computers generic) to replace the aging one in it if not re-cell the one I have in it with better cells.

They don't really answer the question, or there are so many posts that you might get a single response where as this gent here has received 50+ replies.

Biting the bait this hard.

It's thinkpad thread, not business class laptops thread. People not asking after thinkpads get frowned upon like people looking for wireless in hpg.

Sometimes, biting hard gives me inner peace, user.

Obviously more vertical pixels on the same OS with the same settings is going to provide more vertical reading space.

>mfw people buy anything besides Dell Inspirons
Hp books look like shit.

>HP books look like shit
They look much better than thinkpads and inspirons though

You're retarded, look at this Inspiron 17 that was on sale at BestBuy last week. Don't tell me your POS Hp notebook looks better than this.

>I'll be looking, battery life and weight aren't a problem for me, looking for a work station
Most workstation laptops don't really focus that much on battery life unless something changed drastically since last I checked.
On my 8560W (i7 2730QM + Quadro 1000M) I get 2-3hrs as well. Plenty for what it does but not exactly portable and for working on the train for example. Not to mention the size and weight makes it unsuitable as a comfy 'everyday carry, whip it out and shitpost with it comfortably in your lap'-machine. As a workstation it is perfect though.

The keyboard itself is gorgeous.
I agree with you on that Thinkpads look like shit. The all black color is hideous.

Which macbook is that?

It's a Dell Inspiron

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HP EliteBook
HP ZBook
Dell Precision
Dell Latitude

These are all good.

What band/model is that?

Writing email replies.
He downloads his mails, go out to fuckknowswhere, then starts writing mails in the middle of the desert.

Once he gets connection again, he presses send.

>Inspiron
Literally overheating useless plastic trash.
HP same category is also trash.

No one should buy in this price range.

Just get a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with a 820m. Its a better purchase.

I would have gotten a hp if it was cheaper but the thinkpad was the cheaper
But I dislike my thinkpad so I will be getting a hp anyway probably

Look son.
If it's cheap, it will suck.
No matter if it's HP, Lenovo, Dell, they all fucking suck at the poorfag price range.

Just buy a premium one.
Refurb laptops are also a thing.
They are premium business laptops, only 1-2 generation older (like Sandy Bridge), and they are 100% top condition.

In my country you can get an EliteBook 15" with 500gb HDD, 8gb ram for 250$.

Neat

Look son.
I have an ivy bridge i7 thinkpad for around the same price
The laptop is fine in stats I just dont like the screen resolution its a killer to me

Don't talk to me or my wife's son ever again.

>using your X220 to take photos of your 8560W because you are too lazy to move from the lab to your office to get your phone. Don't try this at home kids.

figured, any thoughts on the two button thing?

>both buttons down to simulate a mousewheel click, like some laptops do.
Yes. It's a registry tweak in Windows just look it up.
And it's the default behaviour in Mint/Cinnamon, LMB+RMB=MMB

Blame the stupid 16:9 aspect ratio

figured as much, question is, does it actually feel decent enough to use, or is it awkward as fuck to press both buttons with one finger?

Lenovo fucked up badly with their new models and the adware. The new thinkpads are crap. Also asuspro

I've been doing that on other laptops too, it doesn't bother me at all.
The clit mouse not being as good is actually annoying.

desu i thought the elitebook clit mouse in my old 8740w was pretty decent, nowhere near as bad as dells shitty nubs

It's a matter of taste I suppose, I've had a Latitude D600 and enjoyed the dome cap a lot