Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
huawei.com/en/news/2016/9/huawei-kunlun-euleros-unix-certification
svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/usr.bin/uniq/uniq.c?view=log
github.com/att/ast
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>lol no support
no thanks

FreeBSD is not POSIX certified, so calling it "unix" is wrong.

>BSD and System V are the successors of Unix, with BSD sources being the primary sources of Unix version 8, 9, and 10
>some trademarkfag tries to claim otherwise
Nice bait mate.

So it's not POSIX certified, right?

This is a Unix thread. Go make a SUS/POSIX thread elsewhere.

>confusing posix and unix

beastie for the blood god

BTFO FGT

The only reason Linux isn't considered true UNIX is because the Linux foundation refuses to pay for the UNIX certification. Rightly so, because UNIX certification is jut a racket.

It doesn't need a stupid certification because it's not a shitty clone like Linux or OS X, but derived from the same codebase. Stay buttmad.

Nope, it's because most distros couldn't even get the certification even if they wanted because they radically don't follow UNIX standards on all levels.

Reminder that although not publically announced yet, FreeBSD 11 Release ISO are up: ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/

New security options in the installer.

>clean /tmp
It doesn't do this by default?

Nope. You have to add clear_tmp_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf if you want it to.

Sounds like a lot of stuff that should be checked off by default.

Why would I need all of that turned on for our offline file servers?

You might not but you can just change them. I only suggested that those options be checked by default not that the entire page be removed.

i wonder if dragonfly also has retarded defaults

i know they replaced sendmail so that's good

To be frank, the only OS out there that has sane defaults across the board is OpenBSD.

They can only introduce breakage on major updates so this was the perfect opportunity for it. It's a shame they didn't follow through and change some of the defaults. They wouldn't even have to remove the options this release, simply changing them and giving people the option to override would be enough.

Open group is about money. Only money. No one gives a flying fuck about unix certification anyway.

is DragonFly BSD worth using for a server or desktop? is it any better than FreeBSD for these purposes?

Seems to be FreeBSD pretty much. Bigger differences are very low level, unless you count HAMMER.

I think they're quite similar on the user side aside from the package selection, the primary differences are on the kernel level I believe.

BSDs are Unix by lineage, they don't need certification.

There is one UNIX certified Linux distro.

POSIX and SUS are one the same since early 2000's.

SUS is a POSIX superset, there's more to it than just POSIX.

Not since the Austin Group. They are literally the same. There are differently levels of POSIX (fully, partially...etc) but SUS and POSIX are literally the same.

>There is one UNIX certified Linux distro.
which?

K-UX

How do I make BSD as good looking as macOS

What's different from 10.3?

Fool me twice, shame on me.

>ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
from the rc1 version i remenber new libc suport (from centos 7) mesa graphic improvments, more wifi cards suported and shit like that.
Brotip: What is a changelog?

>[ ] Enable ASLR

Oh wait.

lol even dragonfly has that

So, by your standards Linux belongs in this thread?

He said this is a Unix thread, Linux has no place here.

Nigger, there is literally a Linux distro certified as UNIX by the Open Group.

He said this is a Unix thread. Go make a UNIX thread somewhere else.

I know, I was actually discussing it earlier itt. Even so it's just one and only one specific distro, and it's UNIX, not Unix.

>UNIX thread
shit, we deep in the semantics now

There's a couple now, both from chayna.

Why're you telling me that? I'm not the one trying to discuss UNIX in a Unix thread.

Ya'll niggas don't even SysV

Just reminding you how stupid you sound.

also
huawei.com/en/news/2016/9/huawei-kunlun-euleros-unix-certification

The only ones I sound stupid to are the ones who don't know what I'm talking about. Educate yourself.
>another Linux OS has been UNIX certified
That's neat and all but it's still not Unux.

*Unix

Oh, I get what you're saying Unix...UNIX. Hahah "Ritchie likes his small capitals"..etc.

Still sounds stupid. SUS is POSIX and it gets to say what is and isn't UNIX. Been that way before you were born.

Why exactly does that matter? Have you used a real Unix OS? Did you even notice a difference?

And we're talking about actual Unix operating systems and descendants, not anything that's capable of throwing $15k at the Open Group and passing a test.

I've used both Unix and UNIX operating systems. I daily drive an OS that's both Unix and UNIX on my desktop and use a Unix OS on my laptop.

>actual Unix
hasn't been a thing since before you were born.

It has always been a standards base since the 80's with SysV and with POSIX since 93.

>can't read

What Unix OS are you using that happens to be both UNIX and Unix UNIX?

AIX master race.

OS X

Has no argument. Buubuut I read on wikipedia pages that...tha...unix was an OS and UNIX was a trademakr...yeah! I live vicariously through wikipedia pages.

You are literally that retarded.

I said Unix operating systems and descendants, then you went full sperg about how Unix isn't a thing anymore, blatantly ignoring the and descendants part. Literally eat a dick.

>descendants
>share no code with original ATT
You don't know the difference between Unix and Unix-likes.

Kek

BSDs are descendants, you cannot deny that.

you can literally go on the freebsd SVN and look at ATT code right there
svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/usr.bin/uniq/uniq.c?view=log

>share no code with ATT

They used to, but they had to make their own code from scratch due to legal conflicts with AT&T. BSD is the closest you can get to the original UNIX that was distributed by AT&T.

>copyright UCB in 1993
Yup and that's when ATT sued their asses and forced them to remove ATT code.

No, that would be Solaris. OpenSolaris still had ATT copyrights when they converted it to CDDL. ATT no longer owned UNIX (novell did) and Novell didn't give a shit.

are you being retarded on purpose? did you even look at the link? the file dates back to 1980

>

NO shit for brains. You have no idea what you're talking about. There is no ATT copyrighted code there. And who cares. I can download ATT code for Linux right now. I could grab ATT Korn Shell. They released a bunch of code to public domain in the early 2000's. You make no point.

oh, and for the record
>The lawsuit was settled in January 1994, largely in Berkeley's favor. Of the 18,000 files in the Berkeley distribution, only three had to be removed and 70 modified to show USL copyright notices.

BSD has existed since 1977 user

the real reason why bsd shits don't consider linux "unix" because it has actual software and is mainstream and can be used by everyday people so there's no way to distance themselves as special cs dropouts that don't have or use anything made in the last 2-3 decades

bsd turds are some of the most vocal and whiny posers around

go visit any other board and find their faggots... /o/ has stance, /k/ has fudds, secretly those groups know how dumb their collective asses are and go form their own website... nothing comes close to bsd shits because they all ban each other from their irc circlejerks after 2-3 days and then infect every other community by bringing up obscure irrelevant points from 1970s about what is or is not unix

people use linux because you can run apps for business on it without thinking. nobody cares if it's "true unix" or not. nowadays people are hired who use and install linux on all sorts of shit who haven't the faintest clue on how it works and this goes against all bsd rhetoric about how pcs should have not progressed past the 80s because this is the only alternative parallel universe in which bsd shits could ever hope for a fucking job.

anyway I guess bsd is good because it's sperg containment as we see obscure distro shits like slack and arch turds pretend to it once they find someone else pretending to use the former in a desktop thread

holy shit you are autistic

what motivates you to write these long walls of text over an operating system you don't like

You're a moron. Linux isn't considered Unix because it fucking isn't, it's as simple as that.

Hey guys look I can compile ATT code on windows. Windows is now Unix.

github.com/att/ast

>all this butthurt

The "ancient" versions of UNIX are freely available under the original four clause BSD license. The license that no one wants to touch for legal reasons.

Sorry, Unix descendant. My bad.

what the fuck are you even talking about now

why are you so mad over BSD being based on ATT code

bsd losers always tout this as some sort of positive calling card about being older but it spent the first 18 years of its life self destructing over nomenclature. normally I wouldn't believe anything so viciously retarded but it fits in perfectly with modern bsd losers fighting everyone over pedantic irrelevant terms also from that time.

this is not a positive thing when you had 13 years on linux and also had no clear dominant software vendors, bsd could easily have been a thousand times over the world's only OS but just like its smelly loserbase its destiny is relegated to vocal threats and lawsuits that amount to nothing while other operating systems conquered the world.

the other popular one is how sony and apple based all their shit off BSD, because it's so easy to steal. again bsd shits tout this as positive. hilarious to watch and then they wonder why they are still irrelevant

>bsd could easily have been a thousand times over the world's only OS but just like its smelly loserbase its destiny is relegated to vocal threats and lawsuits that amount to nothing while other operating systems conquered the world.
i didn't know we were talking about GNU/Linux

>license says companies are free to use their code
>Sony and Apple are stealing
Jesus Christ are you ever autistic.

I should ask the OP that because they keep making BSD threads every few hours when 99% of the time it ends in these same two posts. just like always when you have nothing left to defend yourself you just use the autism catchall.

Perfectly fine, linux isn't unix. you win the name battle... and linux wins the server market share. nobody cares about bsd.

>less than 1000 installs in the entire world
>of 7 billion people
>every one of these 1000 is running irrelevant shit nobody cares about

i wouldn't be surprised if he was THE one, you know what i'm saying?

>cucks

"you are autistic"
there I can do it too

im sorry but going into threads you don't like to write retarded rants every day is pure autism

I figured it was him when he posted The more he goes on the more I'm sure.

>shitty memes

Difference is you legitimately are.

What a retard. OS X is SUS/POSIX, not Unix.
XNU's Not Unix.

Seen this pattern several times repeated itself in bsd threads with the "serious" wannabes

>BSD is better!
>Why?
>You're autistic that's why

there is nothing left to do because there's no real reason to use bsd unless you are a hipster who just wants to be different.

Haiku and plan9 threads are exactly the same.

>Haiku is better!
>list even one reason why?
>no, if you have to ask, you just won't "get it"

when you keep making the bsd thread every 2-3 hours you have to at least come up with something. or you can just instantly call everyone who disagrees staunchly anti-bsd and keep making the thread every 2 hours

>shitty existence

But XNU is MACH
and Mach is Unix.

Is Mach BSD or System V? No. Therefore it's not Unix.

But Tru64 was both SysV and mach

OS X's a BSD descendant, BSDs are Unix.

What pattern? You're literally qouting a discussion that hasn't happened, you clinical retard.

>OS X is a BSD descendent
No, it's a NeXTSTEP descendent that uses some BSD code. Mac OS X is simply not Unix. It's fine to use a SUS/POSIX operating system though. Just don't lie about it.

Yes, It's based on NeXTSTEP, which is based on BSD. OS X's further based on BSD as they updated the original BSD components with FreeBSD components.
>Just don't lie about it
I'm not lying about shit, bitch.

>mach
>BSD
Pick one.

>BSD
>MACH
Pick one.

OS X's kernel isn't Mach, it's XNU. And it's BSD whether you like it or not.

>XNU's Not Unix

>XNU was a hybrid kernel combining version 2.5 of the Mach kernel
Ya big dummy

UNIX and C are two of the biggest stumbling blocks of technological progress, like it or not.

Like Chomsky's "universal grammar" which is now proven to be incorrect after so many decades of NLP researchers working on false hypothesis given as fact.

Like psychologists only now waking up to John Money being wrong about genders being some identity after decades of living in lie and spawning entire research field.

UNIX systems still can not do what Lisp machines could do, and it never will.

And?

I know it uses Mach, but XNU is more than just Mach. Saying OS X's kernel is Mach is blatantly wrong.

You hit a chord. You're right that we need development in true computer science. You're also right about Chomsky making a big mistake.
But almost nothing will happen in science at any decent pace until capitalism ends.

>mach
>bsd
Pick one

OS X's kernel isn't Mach.

>After Apple acquired NeXT, the Mach component was upgraded to 3.0

The basis of the XNU kernel, Mach, is a simple microkernel.
XNU The OS X kernel. The acronym stands for X is Not Unix. XNU combines the functionality of Mach

See

I see you don't desire to take the effort to make a SUS thread, but since I'm good at filling out captcha, I helped you out.
No problem, man! You're welcome.

I'm not interested in a SUS thread. I'm here to discuss Unix, dumbass.

>Mach
>Unix
Pick one

Then please discuss BSD, System V, and Unix version 1-10, instead of Mac OS X.

Will blakkheim ever use Unix? Stay tuned.

OS X's kernel isn't Mach.

>Then please discuss BSD
That's what I'm doing.

So we can discuss Linux and Official Offerings (UNIX)?

>Dennis: Let me put these questions together. I think the Linux phenomenon is quite delightful, because it draws so strongly on the basis that Unix provided. Linux seems to be the among the healthiest of the direct Unix derivatives, though there are also the various BSD systems as well as the more official offerings from the workstation and mainframe manufacturers. I can't help observing, of course, the "free source" Unix-derived world seems to be suffering from exactly the same kind of fragmentation and strife that occurred and is still occurring in the commercial world.

Please don't shit up a Unix thread with Linux bullshit, there's always a dedicated thread for Linux discussion.

>shit up a Unix thread
>Quote from Dennis Ritchie
sharp as a tack you are.

>quote from the dude who should be on the Cred Forums sticky
>ignore the mentions of BSD and Official Offerings (tm)

I'm not saying Linux isn't worthy of discussion itt, I'm just saying the fucking board's already full of it. Let's have a thread that actually isn't about it. Man are you guys ever retarded.

But people seem to want to talk about Linux and MacOS in the wrong thread, in this thread instead of the SUS thread.

The thread topic is Unix. The guy that invented Unix says Linux is Unix. Then you say we can't talk about a particular Unix. Man you are ever retarded.

This board is literally full of Linux discussion, why do we need to discuss it here too? I don't give a fuck if worthy of discussion here or not, just by searching the catalog for "Linux" there's already 13 other threads. How about we discuss the other operating systems worthy of discussion itt that aren't already fucking discussed 24/7 here.

>The guy that invented Unix says Linux is Unix.
Point this out. I've never seen that before.

what text editor do you use

mg

Sorry this is a Unix thread and mg is clearly for lisp machines. ed, ex, or vi discussion only please.

The fuck are you on about?

I laughed.

gfortran, what others are there?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. the reason why bsd is behind and always will be.

>muh nomenclature

you losers got into bsd to fight everyone else, just admit it. unemployable, can't speak to any other human being, even your last chance on bsd communities online it's nitpicking over shit nobody cares about. In a way I am glad because you just effectively remove yourself from the job market. keep at it!

fucking losers

gr8 b8

I'll have you know that I make BIG BUCKS telling people the difference between Unix (mixed case) and UNIX (small caps). I always use powerpoint since it gets confusing when I only vocalize the difference.

My autism pays off yuuuuuge!

Quit shitposting

K-UX is UNIX and it's Linux. You are a homosexual Jew sent by Correct The Record to spread FUD about the world's most powerful gentile made operating system.

Unix is abandonware you don't need to credit anyone for nicking off code and Unix is free so there's that.

Linux was bulit around unix before then it was nothing but code and failed atempts at making other OS

BSD and others don't use true (althought parts of it are) Linux kennel so i'm not sure why you retards are fighting there was

"Red hat Unix" and that ran on BSD that inturn turn into MacOS and then later OSX

protip only Red hat Unix ran stable on launch because it was built for atri , C64 and pentuim 1 systems.

so technically you could just install OSX on pentuim one and it just werks

why the hell i'm i blabbering I hate linux and freetards.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE