What are these for? Why do people still use them?

What are these for? Why do people still use them?

Talk to people far away. Send them written messages. People still use them.

Business, so far there hasnt been any fappening styled security breaches as far as I know , so people buy them for security.

My point is why do a lot of politicians/business people use these over just regular smartphones like Samsung/Apple?

My question is*, not point.

US politicans? They either want to show that they're supporting local businesses by buying MURRICAN products or they're worried that some other contry is also spying on foreign contries citizens.

Business people either use it because they arent that tech-savy and just want a new version of the phone they had or because they need to write email with phones and need keyboard for that.

I could honestly type faster on a touchscreen keyboard than that tiny thing. Maybe it's an acquired skill I guess.

i use my for a lot of emailing and phone calls. Battery lasts me a few days normal usage, compared to my older android that only lasted about 12 hours away from a charger.

I admit its a little bit of a walled garden, and most BBos apps are terrible, but android apps work reasonably well.

Because of the tactile buttons, I can use the phone if its raining, foggy, misting, or my hands are dirty.

Privacy and security

RIM is Canadian.

Security

I enjoyed it, but it randomly died on me after few months of usage... BB Q10. Its for business niggas mostly..

what the fuck are you talking about.
BBOS 10 is incredible and far more capable than lagdroid. it's the perfect OS if want to get the shit done.
The physical keyboard is a bliss, the haptic feedback and feel of keys clicking under your fingers as you type. fuck. whenever I'm forced to type on a keyboard-less smartphone I feel like killing myself.

and don't you dare say no-apps. because I can run all the .apk packages I need just fine.

i find Firefox to be really slow and laggy personally. The default browser is so much more responsive

I heartily agree because I mainly use the stock browser app. FF is for personal use since it's the only mobile browser to support proxy sockets. and I need to ssh to my servers/ftp from time to time.

I used to have that very same wallpaper on my Q10 back in the day.

Pizza

i also have issues with google maps : it has to re-flow the entire UI each time you leave and re-enter it. Skype does the same things.

IM+, IRC, Apollo Music do not do those things.

Over all I find it to run most apps better than my older but faster Android Quad core phone? Not sure why Some just dont play well with it.

having shilled my Q10 and its OS, I forgot to mention that I, too, will be ditching it soon, because I ordered an another hipster smartphone (yota 2). Well I'm a sucker for e-ink and I see no reason to use 2 phones. so the Q10 is either getting benched or sold.
Solid phone 9/10.

android apps aren't fully supported on the BlackBerry OS. especially apps that have strong ties with Google Play/account.

>faster
What about more comfortably, with less errors and not having to focus on the typing itself

I know GMaps nags every time i use it without Gplay, but it works better than it does on my older android phone. At least it can find me in less than 5 minutes.

to tell that these guys can write an essay about how a mechanical keyboard is a must have and a divine peripheral

i admit i am slower to type on it that a touch screen phone.

It however works with finger nails, wet hands, in the rain, and i dont need to actively look at it to know i am typing the right letters.

Its just a personal preference

Q10 here.
It just Werks, the keyboard is great and the os is what a smartphone os should be, instead of that lagdroid or toiOS shit. Also: one handed use and fits in any pocket.
It's a shame that BlackBerry is giving up on the os and that you now can't even use 80% of websites anymore, due to all kinds of fuckhuge floating menubars on all sides of the screen. And the browser, while perfectly fast and standards compliant, does not have ublock or similar to fix that. And reader mode is not always a good idea.
Let's see what the keyboard android BlackBerry works out to be. Seems that BlackBerry at least does android right (updates!).

I was being cynical at the poster claiming that touchscreen keyboards are better, while Cred Forums shills mech keyboard to no end.
I despise touchscreen keyboards, and feel nausea just thinking about smudges and all the horror and frustration that can only come of of touch typing.

I bet you're an obese basement dweller with a mechanical keyboard.

>married
>works in Finance dpt
>owns a blackberry and don't have fancy $150 mech keyboard, only good old membrane because utilitarian
all wrong dude

how is your battery life. I got a priv but just returned it because android. I might have just pull the trigger on a classic.

battery life is nothing to write home about m8.
It barely gets me through one and half a day. but it has removable battery.
But most of the time I carry a power bank so I can't really give an unbiased statement.
The camera isn't that great either.

>Seems that BlackBerry at least does android right
So blackberry phones get the monthly security updates even if it isnt on 7.0? I years for a phone with a keyboard and have been thinking of switching to a BB for awhile now.

I've had a BlackBerry Q10 for the last year, unless I decide to upgrade the BlackBerry Classic I'll be sticking with this thing for at least another 4 or 5 years.

Not him but I get 3+ days battery life on mine.

This guy gets it.

I used Z30 for at least 2 years and it was best smartphone experience for me so far.
Before that I had Nokia S60 and iPhone 4. Now I fell for chinkdroid meme and wish I still stayed with Z30.

I read somewhere that they even got some updates faster than the nexuses.
Just not sure how they'll deal with major updates. My q10 is now over 2 years old, and just got the newest os a few weeks ago. Not sure if they manage that with fucken hardware hogging lagdroid.

does the q10 have a touchscreen?

How else would I control it? There's no trackball or trackpad.

Only reason I don't buy one is portrait keyboards are shit.

If they made a landscape slider I'd buy one with zero hesitation.

>android BlackBerry

Damn this thing looks pretty tasty.
>physical keyboard
>SD card slot
My only gripe is the nonremoval battery, but I'd take it if it means I can use a physical keyboard. Is this the hero Android deserves?

If only there was a landscape version.

I'm thinking of just trashing my smartphone and going back to feature phones for a real keyboard.

does anybody use bb hub on android? is it good?

it's shit
it is nothing like bb hub on bb10 os
on android it's basically an email client
not even whatsapp is integrated properly

>If only there was a landscape version
Why are you a masochist?

wont lie. im close to buying a priv. i always kinda wanted one

Not really in my experience, and I have a note 4.

You DO realize that phones got larger and larger over the years?
Protrait nowadays is as large as landscape of yesteryear. Plus, rim knows how to build a keyboard. I have big thumbs, but problem at all with my tiny q10

It's fuckin great. The keyboard is nearly perfect, good batteries, no intrusive modifications, fast updates.

I used it and returned because of the following :

What said. BBhub integration is nothing like bbos
Worst thing is it comes out of the box configured like ABSOLUTE CRAP. Like it burns through that 3,4k mah battery in 3 hours screen OFF.
After you turn off the battery edge(this seems to reason, I think it drives the gpu full force even when its not visible), double tap to wake, and some other useless thing it gets usable. But I expected atleast 2 days of battery. Its not bad though it last for a full day easily.

Also changing battery seems to be pretty easy. You don't need a screwdriver to take back cover out and then its just one screw to change battery.

> Android 6.0.1
> Linux 3.10

Is Google also in the Debian damage control of "It's not old, its stable"?

Most of the people talking shit about the Priv seem to have come from BB10. I can't comment since I have never used a BB10 phone for long enough to grow attached to it (I fiddled a bit with my Dad's Classic), but if you are coming from another Android phone then the Priv is absolute fucking bliss. Clean UI, lightning fast updates every month, and good build quality (relative to most Android offerings). People complain about the camera but it seems good to me, coming from a Samshit Galaxy S4.

It's kind of ironic that I've become a Blackberry fan as they seem to approach their twilight years, having never owned a Blackberry before (closest thing was a Huawei Boulder U8350, which I suppose is basically a Bold ripoff). I just hope to fuck that their earnings report on Wednesday looks good, and that the hardware division at least comes close to breaking even. If they leave the hardware market then all hope is lost.

I () didn't came from bb10 but reading what others wrote I think I had a faulty unit. It was realy unreal first 2 days until I figured out to turn off battery edge. Phone was blazing hot had the phone is cooling down notification all the time. I wonder what caused that

You also seem to think I want a 5 inch plus screen.

>boo, android lagdroid
>also, my OS of choice can run android apps!
>twice as laggy as on android

yeah, well

>but it's not laggy
i had q10 and absolutely loved it, but performance of android apps is completely random. Some of them run flawlessly, some of them need seconds to load simplest activities.

God, i want my q10 back. i think i'll get Priv though.

Q10 is Classic without 5-way navigator.

You mean the toolbelt?

Last days longer on a charge than an android/iphone, and better for email/outlook integration.

Business device for business users.
Not for NEET consumerfags

I had the cool down notification exactly once. I left Pokémon Go running and put the phone in my pocket on a day when it was 34 Celsius. I thought the cooling down was appropriate in that specific circumstance. I also generally get 2 days battery life with light to moderate used and both battery edge and double tap enabled.

But yes, the Priv does get a lot warmer than my S4 ever did. Not house fire warm, not uncomfortably warm, but noticeably warm under load. Worth it for everything else, IMO.

>note 4
How do you type without your battery dying?

yeah

Passport master race here. I do own a priv, and switch between the two. Priv had shit battery life when I got it but software update resolve those issues.

How's the keyboard trackpad and battery life. I've been thinking of switching to a Classic or Passport from my Q10.

im heavily leaning on passport. Could you please install snapchat see if its working if you don't have it.

iirc you can get banned for using Snapchat on BB10OS

another passport owner here - snapchat works if you use a specific apk

Security. Android and iOS are both shit with security.
>In before Samshit and Applel fanboys attack
Neither Android nor iOS have proper security for a mobile OS. You just think they do because both take away basic features all computers should have while at the same time making it hell for the end user to do what they want with them.

Blackberry is a Canadian company. Use Google next time you talk out of your ass kiddo.

my passport has really great battery life - it's at the level where i'm never worried about it and i don't think i've ever ended the day with less than 30% (heavy usage)

I tried getting snap to work on it but I'm not gonna bother trying it now. It needs Google play services to work. I use this phone to get away from snapchat desu. Trackpad keyboard is great for one hand browsing apps like clover and reading forums. I turn it off because it does fuck with me when I'm typing shit. Other than that the batter on the passport gets me through a ten hour workday with 40 percent of the battery still remaining. I love this fucking phone.

Just got a Priv. Is it true that rooting is impossible?

they are heavily encrypted

I have a N900, thinking of getting a priv soon, yes or no?

I heard people said it's underpowered for nowadays standards but I don't care as long as it runs the web and the mail fast.

it's called Blackberry now, they renamed it

and backdoored by CSIS, look it up

very comfy with my classic. Might buy a nexus 5 just for backup soon

The only thing holding me back from a Priv is the hope that they'll make a Classic that runs Android

Is a Q10 or classic worth? I only call, text, or email, so...

Why would you want such an atrocity when Classics running the superior BB10OS already exist

work.
You charge them weekly. You use the speaker for conference calls and it's loud as fuck.

pretty sure you can run android on passport

Nope

It wouldn't be a blackberry if it could be rooted silly goy

security > rooting

The .apk "I need" all work flawlessly with no lag or whatsoever (except for ff which is a given even on lagdroid).
I never said that every android app available is buttery smooth. it's quite the opposite a lot are badly supported. BUT there's a bunch of apps that are butter smooth. Like for instance : clover

Get one, you will love it.