Where were you when GNU and Linux died?

fossbytes.com/google-making-new-open-source-os-fuchsia/

It's over faggots. Google won, and they didn't even need the help of the Skypes.

So I can combine the worst of Android AND ChromeOS into one OS that will be more botnet than Windows 10?

Where do I sign up

I was already worried that tech illiterate normies would ruin GNU/Linux because of the Windows 10 scandal. Google functions greatly as trashbin.

If it's fully open source, then I'm cool with it, but knowing Google it'll probably have proprietary shit sprinkled all over it just like Chromium while they proclaim that it's an "open source" product. This is why it should be called free (as in freedom) software. That's the aspect that matters, not simply that the source code is available.

Also good luck getting anyone to switch away from current OSes, unless Fuchsia can somehow run all the applications that people want. Does Fuchsia plan on running Windows, GNU/Linux, and Android applications somehow?

I think it'll end up as a niche flop sort of like Chromebooks, unless they have some really cool shit planned for it in the long run.

>If it's fully open source, then I'm cool with it
I'll never understand why this is some kind of magic panacea to freetards.

unless all their pajeets work towards something like wine or cocoa to have relevant engineering software on the platform, it will be another pointless google project to burn cash

>m-muh freedom!
damn you guys are so obnoxious. i bet you're a vegan too.

>AUG 12, 2016

Also if you check Fuchsia's GitHub, it's pretty much nothing so far, it won't be relevant for years.

Windows is so bad that wincucks have to hide behind other operating systems when bashing Linux.

>the thread

No one has explained to me what this fuchsia shit does better than Lanox or even Wangblows

Why do we need it? What does it do?

Because when something is 100% FOSS, that gives a level of assurance that the maintainers aren't hiding anything from you or attempting to do some malicious and/or unethical shit.

Basically the reason people keep their software proprietary is because they want to keep it to themselves for personal gain, or to take advantage of others. I think Google is more in the personal gain camp, but you can't be sure, because you can't see what their software is doing without reverse engineering it.

That's totally irrelevant, but I'm not vegan.

What do you guys have against FOSS? What do you think are the benefits of proprietary software?

>Because when something is 100% FOSS, that gives a level of assurance that the maintainers aren't hiding anything from you or attempting to do some malicious and/or unethical shit.
No, it doesn't. That "level of assurance" is pure placebo. This is what I mean.

If you don't have a dedicated and professional team capable of fully auditing and stress-testing the code, being open sauce is completely and totally meaningless. It might as well be closed because your ability to accurately describe the code amounts to the same.

It's just an OS for wincucks to hide behind when bashing Linux.

They don't want to own up to using windows because they know windows is shittier than Linux, so they hide behind an OS that virtually no one has used enough to make an argument against.

When you really think about it it's fucking pathetic.

fuschia is made for IoT devices you fucking idiot.get the fuck off Cred Forums you know nothing about technology.

Not far short, user.

lonix faggots are on some seruous damage controll

Then you know nothing about free software at all.

When you think about just how much this statement comes out of your ass it's pathetic.

>No, it doesn't. That "level of assurance" is pure placebo.
The code is available to for anyone to vet, anyone can make their own modifications, and anyone can make a fork if they find something disagreeable. That means that FOSS maintainers are less likely to get away with malicious/unethical intent: AKA it brings a "level of assurance."

>If you don't have a dedicated and professional team capable of fully auditing and stress-testing the code, being open sauce is completely and totally meaningless. ...
Whether or not coders are "dedicated and professional" is irrelevant to the type of software they work on. Shit programmers work on both open source and proprietary software. At least with FOSS, someone else more who's competent can make a fork. Unmaintained proprietary software is doomed to become abandonware.

Also the pool of potential contributors is theoretically infinite with FOSS, while it's finite with proprietary.

>... It might as well be closed because your ability to accurately describe the code amounts to the same.
Here's what I hear you saying:
FOSS is just as bad and closed as proprietary software because the maintainers are somehow inherently unprofessional and doing things in their free time? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Also you never gave a any good reasons/evidence for why proprietary software is good. You just poorly tried to shit on FOSS and lower it to the proprietary level:
>It might as well be closed

>random OS made by 3 google employees in their basement will overtake Linux with thousands of developers and years of polish behind it

thingsthatwon'thappen.tiff

neat
it will be EOL in a year or two and the downloads will be wiped from the face of the internet.

people never learn.. no matter how many times google do the same thing.

I fucked up this sentence:
>At least with FOSS, someone else more who's competent can make a fork

It should be:
>At least with FOSS, someone else who's more competent can make a fork

>Smartphones
I'm curious if they're going to try to make this the successor to Android and ChromeOS, maybe somehow tying them together? An os that was fully integrated between your phone and your computer could be neat. Otherwise I really don't see the point of this project.

>Fuchsia OS
>Magenta kernel

FEMINISM IN TECHNOLOGY HAS GONE TOO FAR

>He thinks fragmentation and one guy fixing one thing and fucking up 3 at the same time is a good thing.

Knowing Google, they'll probably discontinue the project after 5 years, just like any other thing they've done in the past. They can barely create a text messaging app, what makes you think they can create a kernel? Go on YouTube and watch the presentation on git. Watch how Torvalds BTFO every Google employee there.

Agreed. I'm a developer in test and free software developer, my real code is better than all the devs at work because it's public work on projects I give a fuck about.