Microsoft Access

This has to be the most painful non user friendly windows application I've ever had to use.

And I'm forced to take an entire class on it even though I'm doing routing and switching. Why am I supposed to care?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.android.com/training/basics/data-storage/databases.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does anyone actually use this

Lolno

What is actually the point of Access?
I work as a DBA and I think the last time I used it was at school.

>what is the point

So the jews that run higher education can make more money

But SQL costs more than Access

Not at a community college

They're crafty arent they

Some small businesses use access, thats just about the only time i've ever seen it used for real.

This

What are some FOSS alternatives?
Any available for Android?

sqlite

>developer.android.com/training/basics/data-storage/databases.html

fairly sure we're in the same program.

school starts with an F?

>fairly sure we're in the same program.
>school starts with an F?

No, S.

I know of a large (think fortune 500) manufacturing facility that literally runs on Access.

I know of a retarded IT guy.

Aren't most? All you have to is be slightly less retarded than users when it comes to computers and know how to google

When I found out about it had been running that way for about 10years. It then became spaghetti coded and hacked together that nobody wanted to touch it since if it when down then no orders could be processed. It's hard to get money out of corporate to "fix" something that isn't broken given that risk.

>tfw office 2016
>word is nice
>excel is nice
>I bet all of the office suite soft are comfy
>Access 2016
Wait, what? I set up the black theme for it and it does not apply for. Foolish I, though, it was some mistake perhaps
>"oh user, you have to close it before you can anything with"
>" user, do you want to save your changes"
>"user, something is wrong, you have to back and change it"
>OH user PLEASE CLICK OK, ANONO NONN OAN ASDAd
PURE FUCKING RAGE

the idea of access was quite good when there was less internet connectivity and less networking, it used to be a local database tool with which, a decent programmer could create most of the software needed by a small to medium business

the problem, as always, is microshafts inability to understand that the market is changing and it should change too, kind of like with the windows phone fiasco

as networking became ubiquitous all the people who knew how to create more than a db from template with access moved to other, greener, pastures like oracle, sql, ibm and shit

late to the punch as ever, microshaft tried to integrate it's sql with access and, while doable, it requires so much knowledge that no one capable of it would want to work with access on principle

so, the only way for microshaft to salvage it would have been to make access target small businesses, with a focus on networking features and point-and-click usability instead of coding

but, as before, apple beat them to the punch with filemaker

so that's the story of access in 2016, it's basicaly the lumia phone of the database world

this beeing said, i find it quite funny to see it's a mandatory subject in networking studies

Same here OP. I don't want to waste my time with this but it's a requirement.

Share your pain OP. had to learn access back in 2000 as part of my networking degree. Never fucking used it since, thanks god. Mysql on the other hand is quite useful to learn.

What about programming? I've got to take a VB course and I'm total shit at programming. I figured that isn't really a network technicians area of work so I'm relatively safe.

Visual Basic guis are required to track IP addresses, newb.

>Visual Basic guis are required to track IP addresses, newb

user a monkey can operate within a GUI

Oh shit I forgot that was a meme

>access
>do you want to save your changes?
>no
>well fuck you anyway everything is saved and you can't undo anything

reeee

>so that's the story of access in 2016, it's basicaly the lumia phone of the database world
Yeah, that's obviously why shittons of financial software are based on it.

Good god, people are so narrowminded.

Access does not even need to be the database. It can be used to create a frontend for a real database pretty easily.

It can also be used as a container for exporting data from a ms sql database server.

And it has the benefit that you only need a license for designing a database or frontend, there is a free runtime you can use to run your database on and manipulate data, it just doesn't have the design tools.

Many people seem to not know that.

Besides, it is better that anything floss offers.