Firefox Master Race thread

Firefox being slow is a meme. Tested Chrome and Firefox on my laptop and desktop at home, got better numbers out of Firefox on most tests.

It's got a better plugin selection.

No weird, creepy Google shit. I posted about linux Mint here in Chrome a week or so ago...now Youtube is trying to show me linux mint videos? Fuck off, Big Brother.

Best iphone browser too.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=8836539&cid=51642315
mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/moco/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any way to refresh profile while preserving addons and saved passwords?

why not chromium though

news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=8836539&cid=51642315

Firefox is shitty by design.

Only freetard SJW's use FurrFaggox.

Firefux has a TON of slow disk i/o clobberers. a jiggabyte of places.sqlite.

Plugins.... aren't going to be there after next version, NPAPI is deprecated but the extensions will still be available IN BOOTSTRAP JETPACK MODE i.e. javascript extensions.

Firefox is more full of google than chromium by default but there's guides to unfuck both. chromium is worse with hardcoded URLs and binary blobs and requires recompiling. Firefox replaces its googleness when you update.

Google does actually track without cookies or refs now, by IP instead of just accounts. It's worse tracking tho.

Most of Cred Forums is acknowledging this. No matter how much FUD the Google shills spread, we are not falling for it.

no alternative

>using firefox
I use palemoon and ungoogled-chromium compiled from source.
I would never ever touch cuckzilla, the shit coded sjw browser with memory leaks.

So unfortunately true. 3rd party firefox builds are probably better though, I'm not saying I'd trust urinefox or palememe but..... can it be worse than mozilla?

Take care not to get lost in all those memes you're surrounding yourself in.

manually uncuck your profile and be happy. fuck useless forks

I put my profile in an overlayfs ramdisk and it's lightning quick but it's not exactly making me happy. It makes me sad.

>uncuck profile
>be cucked by new update that resets all your work

you're doing something wrong then

Sometimes mozilla also disables certain random about:config settings without replacing their functionality. Things which were previously uncucked magically find themselves recucked and the API cruft drifts on in broken documentation forever.

they deleted hello

Their old shitty botnet code became incompatible with their new shitty code because they killed the API.

>$0.01 was deposited into your Google Pay Account

That old article? It's clearly fake lmao. Also got posted months ago already. You're acting like it's new and posting it everywhere.

How much rupees do you make an hour?

Why no one uses GNU IceCat?

I hate google services but for the exact same reason I hate firefox. They've always been linked by funding and backend web services and now..... I can just openly hate mozilla without having to rely on shitty google hate.

They're an awful for profit company and frankly fuck them. They've done a lot of shitty things to a shitty 90s browser. They do some cool R&D but can it ever outweigh the shit?

(Electrolysis+Servo maybe cool)+noapi+jetpack+sqlite abuse+network abuse+security abuse+DRM abuse ~= meh.

Notably not touching the SJW shit.

Check how big is your profile folder and post results
4 addons, 2 scripts, 48MB here

ty for letting us know, you got a twitter so we all could follow you for more exciting blog posts?

>~= meh.
Meth

>They're an awful for profit company
They're non-profit.

>not touching the SJW shit.
What are you using then? Edge?

about:support
-> show folder

> non-profit
> mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/moco/

They are a nonprofit foundation that owns and controls a for-profit corporation.

I meant I am not going into any alleged SJW stuff, the project stands on its own merits with or without real humans doing the work.

I'm also not talkin about rust which seems cool but not mature enough to judge yet.

anyone got updated uncuck about:config list?

#Disable Pocket
extensions.pocket.enabled;false

#Disable Geolocation
geo.enabled;false

#Disable Usage statistics (Telemetry)
toolkit.telemetry.enabled;false

>Telemetry
And these people bitch about that Chromium is a botnet, lololol.

Even better they literally get daily updates of databases for malicious sites and things from google.com

It's not quite as bad as realtime querying from google about the place you currently are at the present time.... but it's not good is it.

You're asked if you want to enable or disable it when you first install Firefox.

Even if you disable the sending of it, it still inexplicably logs all the same things and writes it to disk. a symbolic link to /dev/null for you, good botnet file.

DAE (does anyone else) find that Microsoft Edge on Windows and Safari on Mac actually feel a lot smoother by default?

Edge yes, scrolling is god-tier

It works like shit and usually needs to be compiled

>not building from source and optimizing for your arch family
>not building from source and hard disabling unwanted shit
>not building from source supplying your own config

The people on this board are fucking retarded. Just the word "telemetry" alone triggers you. Telemetry is fine as long as it's done transparently, and if you can opt out. It's useful to collect data for the sake of statistics and bug fixing.

Firefox is transparent about it, and you can opt out.

Where does it write this? Can you provide more info or a link or something?

>trust a company
Yeah its "opt in".Oh wait we accidentled the switch and now you're transmitting telemetry even though you "turned it off".
Telemetry should never be a thing
>b bu bu bu bu bu but im helping them make firefox better!!!!!!!!
No kiddo go back to nap nap time

i want ot use firefox but everytime i fucking install it then launch it on linux as user it's completely buggy and unresponsive. if i launch it as root (huge security risk) it works very fast, faster then chrome.

i've googled extensively about it and can't find a fix.

there's several places in the profile dir it stores this shit, reporting on or off.
./crashes
./datareporting
./minidumps
some health report file i lost when i symlinked everything to /dev/null

probly a few of the sqlites have data written related to that as well but I can't remember everything i straced and separating it out of the """legit""" writes is a hassle on top of that.

We changed the config setting that opted out to opt_out2 which defaults to true, your old opt_out1 setting is now deprecated

don't use linux then

there's lots of things that go wrong in firefox generally, linux just has security on random system writes.

Also if you delete random files or block it from making it's excessive writes it tends to shit itself.

ya but the fix has to be there if i can go

sudo firefox and it starts up running fast but then when starting as user i get about a five second delay in everything.

i chmod user .mozilla same thing?

giving something admin access doesn't help in debugging, it's not windows. try
strace firefox

i'm aware i'm just saying it works fine when ran as root when launched as user laggy as all hell.

i deleted the firefox and back on chrome let me reinstall then we can maybe try debug?

it's running fine with strace firefox. when i quit the strace session it goes back to buggy.

how exactly is strace work what is going on here?

Firefag here.

When doing frontend, I do find that chrome tends to reload pages faster than Chrome. Still not using that shit. What can I do to make it load faster?

well for serious try running it in safe mode. There's a lot of SERIOUS writes going on with firefox in ~/.cache and your ~/.mozilla profile directory. Your filesystems might hate on you and it might seriously choke but most firefox performance hits come from its excessive disk abuse.

Strace would also point out debug shit like timeouts on calls which could cause other unrelated problems.

Install Fasterfox.

>Fasterfox
I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm really a vanilla type of person, but are there any other must have addons?

>It's got a better plugin selection.
This isn't true anymore. Chrome has better selection because people are getting tired of Mozilla's bullshit. A lot of older extensions for FF were broken and the devs are fed up having to constantly update them because of FF breaking shit and giving them less access to the browser. I started using Pale/new Moon because my FF extensions don't work with FF anymore but still work with PM.

Use midori for Cred Forums in linux. It's snappy and it doesn't slather your info everywhere and runs the Cred Forums ads to keep Cred Forums going. That is, if you want to keep Cred Forums going.

nice bait and shit browser selection.

I wouldn't call it snappy, but Cred Forums and leddit work in it so what more does one need.