Favorite Distro

What's your favorite distro, Cred Forums?

inb4 gentoo

kys

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

red star

debian

>FreeBSD and OpenBSD
>distros

found the image on google

hang yourself

I never claimed you made the image.

They're all the same shit

deepin.
I want my distro to be normie-friendly.

then why the fuck are you pestering me about it, cuck?

>LITERALLY chinese botnet

Microsoft Windows 10

I'm not, you fucking moron. I'm just pointing out that the image is retarded. Wouldn't be wrong to say the same about you, you defensive fuck.

Xubuntu because it is easy to troubleshoot, low on resources and xfce is comfy.

>free softwre
Poorfags. Solaris or MacOS.
There's literally no reason to run free software.

Debian

it's open source tho. Look through the code

Gentoo, what exactly is your problem with it?

solaris is trash

gentoo is a meme

I'm tempted to say Ubuntu just because it's always been rock solid for me and I run back to it after some other distro breaks too much.

>gentoo is a meme
It's a meme whose doc is made by its core developers, if anything I'd install it for the knowledge it would bring me if I had time for that.

>trash
>meme
How about some real reasons this time?

I've been using Ubuntu for 8 months and really like it, but unfortunately it's been giving me errors lately.
Going to try Debian, and hope it's more of the same but more stable.

Manjaro, the best Arch

(((Bedrock)))
CentOS
Arch
Debian
Xubuntu
Ubuntu
Fedora
OpenPepe
Slackware
Puppy
Gentoo
Mint - just insecure and humancentipide shit
Hipster Distros - understaffed and unsupported

Repo cinvention nightmare

>Mint - just insecure and humancentipide shit
explain

Recent website hack
Debian≥Ubuntu>Mint
They should focus on the DE, not their own distro

Explain? Citations?

Troll? Or are you that uninformed? Kys in anycase

I'm not up to date/so informed on that. Relax and fill me in, you immature meme spouting faggot.

noobuntu is so bloated

bloated how?

I have no obligation to inform you, about stuff you could goodle in less then a minute.

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/

inb4 yes ubuntu is based, still less attractive for attacker than mainstreamsoft, not heartbleed insecure, ubuntu also does this kind of tweaks, nobody contibutes to upstream anyway, no didnt ready my sources

I prefer Mintjaro. It's Manjaro using apt instead of pacman.

>apt

Despicable

Just use pacman and yaourt

then Ubuntu
now Arch
next Windows

>Ubuntu
Used to hate it, but I use it at work and eventually started using it at home despite years of being a Slackware snob.

Hate the game, can't stand using the program. But Manjaro is much comfier than buntu distros.

Antergos, just for being simple to install
Arch for being simple at all but install
MacOS because I suck dicks for breakfast
Windows because I have to deal with it at work.

Windows 10 with Bash.

How dud u get work?

How did you put apt on Manjaro anyway? Googled Mintjaro with nothing for results

I just made it up. Ezpz

Checked for my fellow Bash on Windows fan.

Slackware. Reasons stated in a suspiciously similar thread we had earlier. Not bloated, not botnet, no systemd, not a meme distro. Package manager can be a pain in the ass, but you get used to it.

>No systemd

Yeah, fuck making things better!

>not bloated
The default package sets disagree with your definition of bloat.

Quads and I fucked up the back link.

Gentoo. I just works.
I've chrooted Debian on a chromebook. It doesn't just work, that's probably the nature of the chroot, though.

it's ok, we don't expect much out of user's that like systemD.

Ubuntu with xfce

I know, neckbear, I know.

Nice get. Yeah W10 with bash is the best "Linux," available right now.

Arch has 3 stable+32 and the testing repo , Manjaro has more and this was perceived as ugly by some guy. This programmed me against manjaro:

Basically a distro should not tweak the upstream software too much, if arch makes some configs e.g. paths, systemd units, adding hooks then manjaro adds something else and it becomes more non vanilla. When manjaro maintainers decided to move away from the minimal and comprehensive organisation of repos, they committed a sin and the spawn was an incomprehensible repo structure.

The original rant is somewhere in the distrowatch reviews of manjaro.

>All OS are shit
ftfy. Some distros are better to install on some machines than others. It depends on how much ram you intend to use, how much you want to use your harddrive and the speed of your cpu. Lots of things to consider and you probably won't really know until you try them out and see what happens.

As to OP. My fav is lubuntu. I run it on a recent build of a machine with recent stuff in it. Nice gui for installing stuff and can be run with openbox and tint2 alongside for lightness and return to kde or whatever it uses for gui installs and desktop. I run windows in it when I have to to. Works for me. I like it.

Devuan or slack-based distros
systemdickery will catch up to all of you eventually.. just you wait and see

>tfw Devuan doesn't support my only Linux machine's architecture

install gentoo

What are peoples views on Elementary?

On a dual core SBC? No thank you.

Slackware.

what meme board do u have

Creator Ci20

Use distcc

Ubuntu MATE. Lightweight and just werks.

Windows 10 with bash

Do I need to be running Linux on the other machines?

Trash

That's not a distro, it's a failed abortion.

I agree. I used to dual boot Ubuntu but bash on Windows 10 is so great. It really obviates the need.

Okay, you've listed the downsides. What are the advantages?

KDE Neon so far

It's stable. It's fast. It comes with Dolphin and Ark by default. Just nice to use overall.

Debian Unstable is my fav right now.
- Respects muh freedom
- Rolling release for the latest packages
- Quick, simple, minimal installer
- One of the eldest and most known distros (so it has staying power and lots of support available)

I don't have any problems with apt/dpkg, but it's not quite as user friendly or snappy as pacman or zypper or yum (due no doubt to its age as one of the earlier package managers). This is a cool page comparing the various equivalent commands between package managers:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

I think most people run GNU/Linux to avoid Windows, so it really isn't as awesome or useful as some people are making it out to be.

Also these already existed:
- Windows ports of bash + all other GNU utils (Cygwin, MinGW, gow, etc)
- Virtual machines, and they're only getting better & more convenient
- Wine & Mono for GNU/Linux to run Windows applications "almost natively"

Fedora.

I like Arch a lot too, but doing an install of Fedora + MATE gets me up and running and computing to the level I need instantly. DNF is one of my favorite package managers. I'd put it only second to Arch's Pacman.

Manjaro.

I'm pretty busy this year and it requires 0 configuration and maintenance is done with few cron jobs.

CentOS/RHEL I started to like due to work.

point linux

>give me your opinions
>but not the opinions i dislike
Why do people like you even come here?

First Post Best Post

i like Slackware, and Salix which is the lazy man's Slackware, and i like antiX = the non-systemD debian

NixOS

openSUSE

>the D in BSD stands for distribution
>not a distribution

>being this defensive over nothing

Retards, the both of you.

I like debian, but my lxc's all run ubuntu.

aptitude is pretty nice guys hah.

>dis·tro/ˈdistrō/noun
>a distributor or distributed version, especially of Linux software or of webzines.
Distro may be short for distribution but it's almost exclusively used for Linux based operating systems. Keep it that way.

But they're both software distributions though. I feel that the term can be used interchangeably.

It just sounds wrong and has a heavily emphasis on Linux. I'm sure they can be used interchangeably too but please just don't. It sounds incredibly retarded.

It doesn't though. It just sounds like you're describing a variant of BSD.

Gentoo. Retards like OP cannot handle compiling.

It sounds retarded as fuck. When I hear distro, Linux instantly pops into mind, so hearing someone say BSD distro sounds like they've gone full retard and are saying BSDs are based on Linux, not to mention that RAS Syndrome (Open Berkeley Software Distribution distro)

Well that's your own brain problems to deal with, nothing else.

Okay, kid.

Get a load of this guy. Need a safe space to go to where people don't disagree with you? Good grief.

Get a load of this guy. Need a safe space to go to where people don't call you retarded for saying retarded things? Good grief.

:^)

nixos